home
RSS
My Take: May 21st doomsday movement harms Christianity
Osvaldo Colon walks the streets of New York proselytizing with other believers that the world will end Saturday.
May 17th, 2011

My Take: May 21st doomsday movement harms Christianity

Editor’s Note: Robert Jeffress is pastor of the 13,000-member First Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas and the author of 17 books, including the forthcoming "Forget Saving America!"

By Robert Jeffress, Special to CNN

In January 1961, a few days before John F. Kennedy was inaugurated as president, he invited Billy Graham to spend a day with him in Key Biscayne, Florida. After a round of golf, Kennedy and Graham were returning to their hotel when Kennedy stopped the white Lincoln convertible he was driving by the side of the road.

“Billy, do you believe that Jesus Christ is coming back to Earth one day?” Kennedy asked.

“Yes, Mr. President, I certainly do,” the evangelist responded.

“Then why do I hear so little about it?” Kennedy wondered.

Were Kennedy alive today, he probably wouldn't be asking the same question.

During Kennedy’s lifetime, few mainline Protestant churches discussed the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Fifty years later, however, televangelists, network television programs, movies and books like the "Left Behind" series — which has sold more than 60 million copies — have succeeded in placing the return of Jesus Christ in the public consciousness.

A 2004 Newsweek poll revealed that 55 percent of Americans believe in the Rapture, the snatching away of all Christians prior to the end of the world and the return of Jesus Christ.

As a pastor who preaches often about Bible prophecy, I am grateful for the general awareness people have of the promised return of Jesus Christ.

But our culture’s newfound interest in the end times has a downside. Bible prophecy inherently attracts fanatics. As a seminary professor of mine used to say to our class, “Remember, wherever there is light, there are bugs!”

One of those fanatics is Harold Camping, the founder of the Christian broadcasting ministry Family Radio in Oakland, California. Camping has predicted that the Rapture will occur at 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 21, followed by the end of the world five months later on October 21, 2011.

Family Radio has plastered billboards across the nation with the warning “Judgment Day, May 21, The Bible Guarantees It!”

Road trip to the end of the world

Readers should note that Camping first predicted the world’s end in 1994. He says he was wrong due to a mathematical miscalculation.

Now I am going to make my own prediction which I’m (almost) willing to stake my life on: May 21 will come and go without any Rapture.

How can I be so certain of my prophecy? The Bible itself says that no one can know the date of the end of the world.

Predicting the apocalypse

If God has not even revealed to his own son the date the world will end, I doubt he has revealed it to Harold Camping.

My hunch is that the date God ultimately has chosen is one that will not be plastered on billboards around the country.

What harm is there in an 89-year-old preacher making prognostications about the end of the world?

First, such predictions give non-Christians one more reason to discount the Bible.

For example, many secularists have dismissed the Bible because they assume that it teaches the world is only 6,000 years old. In reality, the Bible never makes such a claim about the Earth’s age. Instead, some well-intentioned Christians have misused the genealogies in the Bible to attempt to ascertain the date of creation.

Similarly, when next Saturday passes without a Rapture, some will say, “See, the Bible was wrong again,” when, in fact, it will have been Harold Camping who was wrong — again.

Second, predictions about the end of the world always lead some people to make foolish decisions. When a self-professed prophet named Edgar Whisenant predicted that the Rapture would occur in 1988, a couple I know responded by charging their Visa card to the limit with a trip to Disney World, believing the bank would be left with the bill once they had left the Magic Kingdom for God’s kingdom.

Obviously, things did not go as planned.

A look at the ways the world could end

Just as every teacher knows how unproductive and unfocused students are the week before school lets out, God knows how tempted we would be to neglect the responsibilities he has entrusted to us if we knew the date we would be raptured into heaven. That is why God refuses to show us his calendar and instead instructs us to focus on our assignment.

But the most harmful consequence of Camping’s false prediction is that it discourages people from making the necessary preparation for the real event when it actually occurs.

Remember the boy who cried wolf once too often? The villagers were so hardened to the boy’s false alarms that they were unprepared when the wolf finally arrived.

When May 21 passes and Camping’s prophecy is added to the ash heap of discredited prophecies, some will be tempted to join the chorus of cynics whom the Bible predicts will mockingly say, “Where is the promise of Christ’s coming?” (2 Peter 3:3-4).

Make no mistake about it. As Billy Graham affirmed to President Kennedy, Jesus is coming back some day. Over 1,800 verses in the Old Testament and 300 verses in the New Testament prophesy of the lord’s return.

Don’t allow the Harold Campings of the world keep you from making the necessary preparation for the end — whenever it may be.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • End times • Heaven • Opinion

soundoff (1,945 Responses)
  1. MGV

I dont believe this May 21 thing.
    On the "is god real arguement?" im stuck in the middle.

One side of me thinks its ridiculous to think this universe with its many amazing works could spring from nothing.

On the other side i think if god is real the world be a perfect world without violence or disaster. Case closed.

It really sucks because each day each day i fear if im leading the right life. If god is real of course i wanna live for him at any cost. Oh well, unfortunately i may have to find out the hard way if he is real or not.

May 19, 2011 at 3:46 am |
    • Clay

The first thing you need to do is realize that the absence of God does not necessarily mean "nothing" exists. The words (I don't know) are the most feared words in the religious world.

May 19, 2011 at 4:22 am |
    • Locust

Religion would have you live in fear of leading "the right life." I say you're leading the right life if you haven't killed anyone you didn't have to and maybe you've given to someone who's in need. The amount of Hail Marys and number of times you get dressed up and waste a Sunday morning listening to fear mongering shouldn't matter to anyone, especially an omnipotent "God."

May 19, 2011 at 5:42 am |
    • Ellie

What you are speaking of...no wars or natural disasters, is what the rapture is for. The problem with earth is that God gave us free will. In layman's terms, meaning we can do whatever we choose. Now, some Christians and other religions believe that God has given us a set path and that path can fork depending upon the choices we make. I am a Christian so I do believe in One God, but if you are "stuck in the middle" I suggest that maybe you attend a bible class (many churches have youth, young adult, and adult bible studies) where you can ask questions and you won't be criticized for having questions and your opinion could be of value. I do not believe the world is coming to an end this Saturday, my belief is that God only knows, not Jesus and definitely not man.

May 19, 2011 at 6:37 am |
    • Brenda

Your right it is ridiculous to think all the wonders of the universe just happened. But the reason the world is not a perfect place isn't a lack of God, it's because God gave man a free will to choose how he (human) would live out his life. God only "interfers" when we truly want Him to. Religion will dissapoint, but a relationship with God will satisfy.

May 19, 2011 at 7:40 am |
    • David in Cincinnati

No, the Bible studies classes won't get you anywhere. Study physics!

May 19, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  2. omg!!

THESE PEOPLE HAVE A TON OF MONEY

May 19, 2011 at 3:41 am |
  3. David Riker

Come back jesus, so we can burn your worthless ass at the stake.

May 19, 2011 at 3:35 am |
  4. Tool

Just like any good forest growth, humanity needs a cleansing burn if we are to progress into an ideal state of being. Our species is full of filth, ignorance and apathy and that all needs to be washed away. Look at all the species that have survived over the course of planetary history, have they outgrown their habitats? Have they destroyed this world to make way for materialistic desires?
    Humans are in an adolescent age that is going to end very soon (probably not this weekend but still). Collectively we act as teenagers that are all about me me me with no concern to the world around them. The most important thing is money, a man made concept that does more harm than good. This planet is the most important thing to humanity because without it, we don't exist. Until we realize that, we are doomed to follow the path of the dinosaurs leaving a select few that are physically suited to survive the extreme turmoil that is to come.

May 19, 2011 at 2:07 am |
    • Bjjorick

Actually tool, you're close to what the bible says. Jesus said this.

24He put another parable before them, saying, (A) "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field, 25but while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds[a] among the wheat and went away. 26So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared also. 27And the servants[b] of the master of the house came and said to him, 'Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have weeds?' 28He said to them, 'An enemy has done this.' So the servants said to him, 'Then do you want us to go and gather them?' 29But he said,(B) 'No, lest in gathering the weeds you root up the wheat along with them. 30Let both grow together until the harvest, and at harvest time I will tell the reapers,(C) Gather the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.'" Matthew 13:24-30

God loves us and wants us all to be saved. I hope that you will read the bible and come to understand. I suggest starting with the time Jesus walked the earth, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Read those, and see what God moves in your heart to have a greater understanding on the things around you and the things yet to come.

God bless you.

May 19, 2011 at 2:26 am |
    • Tool

Thank you for the blessing Bjjorick. I have actually read the bible (though it has been quite some time since). I actually went to a catholic high school until getting kicked out for not following their rules to a T. It is filled with many good teachings, that much is for sure. I have strayed from being a firm believer and calling myself Catholic or Christian simply because I feel that, as a mere human, I am no where near the level necessary to comprehend the concepts of a deity that can create universes. I can have faith, sure, but the fact that I cannot know the truth until I pass from this mortal existence keeps me from stating anything as a believed fact. Perhaps 'God', if the bible is correct, will understand and not hold it against me. There in lies part of my issue though, mankind in ultimately fallible, an mankind wrote the bible, be it by 'God's will' or not, it is still from the hands of mankind.

As for apocalyptic beliefs, basic science can easily show that our species is ultimately doomed. Finite space + Finite supplies coupled with an exponential growth of the species = a quick end. It just seems like common sense to me.

May 19, 2011 at 2:48 am |
    • Bjjorick

I understand what you mean, but faith is all that is required. I feel sometimes feel like i can prove God, but it's just my faith reaching a strong point. When you're in the spirit, well, worlds open up to you.

I've known alot of catholics that have fallen away, and alot of apostolics and others. Alot of times it's because they're strict with the laws of the bible, and not focused on the message. I tried many churchs who were judgemental, and when I came to God, I didn't go to church for a long time. I read, I prayed, I did my best to serve God in all things. My wife (who is my greatest blessing from God 🙂 ) prayed for me to find a church, and when I did, it was a church that focused on what God's word said, on serving God. They never said anything about what i wore to church, if i was a little late, or had to leave early. They never judged, they were there to serve God and to reach the people.

All i can say is that it's a personal relationship with God. The church is there for worship, for fellowship, and for teaching, but God is in us, in our hearts. I hope that you won't shut that door, because you're right, we can't understand God, not as He truly is. I have many headaches from trying to grasp eternity in a brain that is limited. All we need to know is that God loves us, and is with us every moment. We just need to seek forgivness from our sins, asking Jesus Christ to forgives us and redeem us, to be our personal savior. I know you know all this from the bible, but it's really that simple. We won't understand God fully in this life, we just aren't able.

We'll be praying for you. And God bless you and thank you for the response I'll be here if you want to keep talking.

May 19, 2011 at 2:56 am |
    • C. Cunningham

Humans are apart of nature, Therefore what humans do is natural, Were are animals, sure we have developed a higher state of conciseness then all other animals on Earth, but were no different, our wants and needs are different but we all strive to achieve them.

"Have they destroyed this world to make way for materialistic desires?" Take the great North American Beaver, Does it not destroy it's surroundings to create it's habitat? When the tree's fall from the beavers actions, does It no longer supports the birds that once lived in the branches or the algae that grows on the tree?. What's the difference between Humans and Beaver?

Animals will always do what they can to survive even if it means wiping out an entire species, what's it to them?

Thanks for your time.

C. Cunningham.

May 19, 2011 at 3:50 am |
    • Tool

Mr. Cunningham, you make a valid point, there are animals on this planet that are destructive in nature. My question however was about materialistic desires. Beavers take down trees so that they may build a home, shelter, a necessity for safety. Humans take down trees so that they may make desks and entertainment centers and paper for which to print stories and pictures on. In other words, things we don't actually need, and that's just one example. Yes humans are a part of nature, but we have strayed away from what we do being natural. Take for instance human synthesized polymers, how is that natural? Where in nature does that exist, aside from where we have thrown it away?
      I wasn't saying humans aren't natural, or that as a species we deserve to become extinct. I was saying that we are on that road and unless we find a miraculous turn off, we are doomed.

May 19, 2011 at 10:21 am |
  5. Charles W. Gill II S.F.O.

One thing people are not considering. It is a given that these people's numbers are dead wrong. On the other hand, there is such a thing as two mistakes cancelling each other out, coming to the right answer for all the wrong reasons. Do I have the right answer as to the end of the world? Wish I did. Can I rule out 21 May as the end of the world? Almost, but not quite.

If a bus hits me on my way to work tomorrow, that is the end of my world. If an asteroid comes down and levels my house as I sleep tonight, that is the end of my world. Then again, Mark 1 tells us that the Kingdom of Heaven is near, touching us, trying to hit us on the head, if only we would see it.

As for me, today, tomorrow, the 21st, and everyday, I plan on being ready, not because I follow some bizarre interpretation of Revelations, or some other book, but because God rescued me and I feel an obligation to pay him back for that salvation. No more and no less. Matthew 24 gives the example of the foolish leader, the one who abuses his workers and then gets drunk. I will not be the kid looking out the window for the headlights of dad's car on the 21st, or any other day. I will be working to improve God's house, on the 21st and everyday. That, and only that is the correct plan.

May 19, 2011 at 1:57 am |
    • Bjjorick

Amen.

May 19, 2011 at 2:01 am |
  6. Bjjorick

Hmmmm, I see alot of people here who seem to think Christ and God are fables, myths, and as one person put it, an after death effect.

Well, I am a christian, and I take the name because I server and follow after Jesus Christ, who is my Lord and personal savior. Anyone still reading will find the rest mostly logical, although based off the bible.

The bible teaches us, "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs. Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations on account of my name." Matthew 24:7-9

War. Check. Famines. For awhile, check. Earthquakes. Check. But these things are merely the beginning. So we're in the beginning of it, most likely. I just said i was a christian, wonder how many people started to not take me seriously? Kill me, nah, but hate me, we're getting there.

This man may see these things and think how close we must be. The bible does say that all mysteries are hidden in nature, and he may think he's found the answer, but the bible clearly states, as the pastor in this article said, of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” (Matthew 24:36).

So this man may feel he's ready to go, but I agree with the pastor in the article, and seeing the response you people have surprises me honestly. You say the bible is fable and myth and not real, as though it's a waste to spend our life serving God. I don't serve God for heaven, I serve God because He saved me, He keeps me, He gives me strength, but most of all, God loves me, and I love Him. I am a child a God, and He my heavenly Father.

But, on to the point about living our lives in fantasy. How many WoW addicts are out there? Those who learn to control the addiction, and those that have dropped out of school, lost wives and family because of a game. A game that you pay for in so many ways. Some people play it and enjoy it and know when to turn it off. I'm not saying WoW is bad, but it's not real.

Those words are true, but there is one thing I would like to leave with all of you who speak against God as though He doesn't exist. Look out your window, and your neighborhood, your society, your work, your family, your life. Look at the way things are, and remember how they were 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago. With that in mind, and the decision in the past 10 years to take God out of schools and other parts of america, think on this one verse.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

May 19, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  7. wes

So as a young christian myself I notice a lot of comments to this blog, its crazy that unless your athiest you must believe in something. Why pick on christians, do you not think we are sick of people thinking we are crazy? How do you know your not wrong? Having beiefs is apart of life right?at least I believe in something. There is no FACT proving the big bang theory yet in the bible they talk about the arc and they are unearthing the arc now, it goes the same way for when moses split the red sea there is a walk way in the red sea going from side to side with charriot wheels covered in corals and stuff so open your eyes to the time when Jesus does come back someday

May 19, 2011 at 1:25 am |
    • Standing Up

Wes, read your Bible. 🙂 Jesus told you why they are "picking on Christianity". It's the Truth, and they are with the one that cannot abide the Truth. They hated and reviled Jesus, and every prophet God ever sent. Of COURSE they're going to go for us. We irritate them like no other religion ever will, because they do not want what God is telling them to be true. (And, a sad proportion of "Christians" that are anything but, and provide a false image of who God is, so either way, we're too good a target to pass up.) Sadly, as you know, they are being deceived, but that will not be a defense, and they cannot say that they never heard that Christ would save them.

May 19, 2011 at 1:50 am |
  8. Rachel

Their message has scared many, including me. This prompted me to first evaluate my relationship with Christ, then look to the bible for the real answer. I glanced at their proclaimed verses and their arguments regarding Matthew 26 and Mark 13 that no man will know the day or the hour. The bible provided clear messages, not hidden, regarding what to expect when Jesus does arrive.

Revelation chapters 20 and 21 clearly say that the 1000 years of peace occur after the Tribulation, and then after the 1000 years of peace the dead and everybody else will face judgement. The dead will not rise from their graves until after the 1000 years (Revelation 20- 4-5). Only those who did not accept the mark of the beast will be resurrected during the 1000 years, and then the REST of the dead will be judged after. Only then! The bible says it! Then after Judgement, God will destroy the old heaven and old earth and recreate new ones (please see 2 Peter 3: 7- one of their arguing factors for May 21). They are also using the fifth trumpet (the first terror) in Revelation 9 to describe the time period between May 21 and Oct 21. Would you please tell me where the first four trumpets, the seven seals, and the scroll would happen prior? The signs of these would be blatently obvious! Revelation 9: 1- 11 describe the first terror, and the fourth trumpet! Recognize Revelation 9: 12 'The first terror is past, but look, two more terrors are coming!' There is still more to the story... if the Tribulation even started May 21, there would still be more time leading to the 1000 years of peace. His timeline is not correct! The bible is clear and accurate.

Yes, we are in a time of earthquakes, wars, and famine. Glance at accurate history books in the last 300 years and you'll recognize similar patterns. For Jesus said in Matthew 24: 6-7 'And wars will break out near and far, but don't panic. Yes, these things must come, but the end won't follow immediately. The nations and kingdoms will proclaim war against each other, and there will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world.' Mark 13 reiterates this same message! This is NOT a lie! The message has still not been spread to all the corners of the earth and we are not suffering pain and torment for our faith. This still will occur first before we are judged.

So tell me, is the bible lying or is Harold Camping giving you false prophecy. Remember Revelation 22: 18 'And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book.' The bible is not a hidden code book! Everything is scripturally true and everybody who looks at it has the ability to discover what is there.

So then, would you tell me that we are in the 1000 years of peace? NO! We still face at least 1000 years until Judgement Day and until then, nobody knows. Still, use these messages to realize that Jesus will come back and we need to stand up for our faiths! Please listen... Harold Camping is picking and choosing versus out of the bible. Only a prophet would claim to know the end of the world, and a prophet with divine intervention would NEVER BE WRONG! September of 1994 is proof enough that he is fishing for anything that supports his beliefs.

I beg you... read all of the words please. He is not God and only God knows all about specific dates and times. The dates and times within the bible provided to us are the only ones that are true. Unless it says directly in Scripture, it will not happen. The Bible provides the answers we need to know and no more. There are no hidden messages.

May 19, 2011 at 1:15 am |
    • Bjjorick

Wow, thank you, this is what i was trying to say. You did a much better job then I and you presented your points very well. I for one believe that we may be living in the times of Revelation, but I know they haven't started, and there will be no doubt when they do. I just pray that those here will see that God is a loving God.

God bless you and thank you for saying this so clearly. God bless you and keep you, always.

May 19, 2011 at 1:44 am |
  9. Eddie

When this man predicated the world to end on may 21st, did he mean may 21st here or may 21st on the other side of the world.Considering Australia is 17 hours ahead of California.. He didn't think of that huh? Lol....

May 19, 2011 at 1:09 am |
    • JOregon

He has said one possibility is at 6pm beginning in the East end of the time line the rapture followed by a massive earthquake will follow each time zone around the world. So at 6 pm in France there will be a rapture and earthquake. 6PM in Texas R&E. 6PM Hawaii R&E.
      He says the bible is not clear though it could all happen at 6PM Bethlehem time, or perhaps as soon as the first part of the earth hits the 21st. Several options I suppose.

May 19, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  10. Hiram C.

I think the one mistake many people make is to assume that any of these 'holy books' are anything more than what they are – the words of men. There may be a lot of wisdom in these books, and a lot of what was (valuable) oral history, and some not unexpected foresight of things to come in the (then) near term, but I find it hard to believe that the 'Creator' of all things, the reason for existence, talks to anybody.

I think it's important to keep a sense of humor about all this hubbub and a recent satire, "Meet the Antichrist" (Melynie T Gibson) puts all this in hilarious perspective. http://www.amazon.com/Meet-The-Antichrist-ebook/dp/B004YQD9XQ

May 19, 2011 at 1:05 am |
    • Standing Up

You speak of what you clearly do not know. Those who know Him, know He speaks to us. He wants a relationship with us (that includes you, for God doesn't want any to perish, and to that end sent His Son to die for ALL; and if you never want to worry about Judgment Day or even your inevitable own death, all you have to do is ACCEPT that), and the Bible is much more than "some words of wisdom". 27% of the Bible is prophecy, in direct contrast to any other "holy" book, and all of the prophecies that have happened have been accurately fulfilled 100% of the time, sometimes with very specific and unlikely detail. Nothing in the Bible has ever been proven wrong, despite what the popular press wants you to believe, and archeology has indeed proven some things that critics vociferously decried as impossible or untrue.

However, I know that -I- am not going to convince anyone here, certainly not in this space. So find out for yourself. Read the Bible, and ask God to reveal Himself to you. Even if you don't think anything's there. I've known hard core atheists who prayed this with scorn, and who were blown away and completely changed when God DID indeed, reveal Himself to them. He promises to all that if you seek Him, you will find Him. If you dare. I don't speak of this in terms of strict intellectual arguments (although there are intellectual arguments in favor of God, that is not the best way to find Him; look at Harold, and his "calculations"), I speak from experience. And I'm sure many will mock away, but I challenge you to try it! Despite what some want you to believe, God is Love.

Having said that, I liked this article, I agree with it. And I think many will see this just as the author says, "Oh look, the Bible is wrong again!" without bothering to verify for themselves that no, the Bible said no such thing.

May 19, 2011 at 1:37 am |
    • God (the REAL one)

StandingUp – David Berkowitz (the Son of Sam) talked to god also, or was it his dog.

People like you sound just like him. You're delusional. If you hear voices in your head, you are sick, insane, nothing more profound than that fact. End of story.

May 19, 2011 at 2:05 am |
    • Bjjorick

Real

The bible says you will be known by the fruit you produce. This son of sam guy, what kind of fruit did he produce. Was it a righteous and Godly fruit, full of sacrafice of self and fullness of the spirit. Did he help others, give to the poor, feed the hungry, and spread the word of God at every point? Yes, God does speak to us, but we are tasked with spreading the gospel, the word of the bible, to those who are lost.

With serving God comes love, peace, and strength. Some get these things and stray from the path, and don't spread the gospel, which is the bible, but what they hear, feel. The bible says that even our own hearts will betray us.

I'm not sure why you feel against God, all that Standing up is doing is sharing the word of God. He even said he's not trying to convert anyone, because he knows this is the wrong place to do it. But when you speak the word of God, you spread the truth, and the truth shall set you free. But even more then that, Jesus said that from the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.

Standing up has God and the gospel in his heart, and he shares it because that's where his heart is. You would sooner stop the wind from blowing then to stop a christian from speaking of the word of God. That is our goal, that is our job. Did the son of sam do this?

God bless.

May 19, 2011 at 2:20 am |
  11. Alon

Being a jew I hope God does not come back and put a boot in my butt lol. Honestly though the rapture/judgement day is all crazyness...and these fanatics just make Chritianity look even dumber...

May 19, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  12. Kevin

6pm is that pacific time? But seriously I hope it does happen Saturday then we can be rid of these annoying people. The bible is full of hatred and I do not want to be going anywhere with people who follow it. Plus we all know the Rapture is just aliens coming back in their spaceships

May 19, 2011 at 12:54 am |
    • Bjjorick

May I ask Kevin, where is the hatred in the bible you speak of? I've read it and I always find a message of love. I'm not saying this with sarcasm, but with general interest. I've heard people say this before and I was hoping you could point it out to me so I may have a better understanding.

May 19, 2011 at 1:49 am |
  13. finnegan

It's totally unbelievable how the media picks up on stories like this and blows them way out of proportion. Harold Camping is obviously a master manipulator who has gained massive publicity for himself and his movement. The media is only too happy to spread ridiculous hype like this because it draws millions of viewers to websites and news programs and everyone makes a quick buck.

May 19, 2011 at 12:52 am |
  14. Njpike

For all we know camping might be the anti Christ.. Follow him if u want cause I wont

May 19, 2011 at 12:46 am |
  15. Rob

Bet he and his followers go the way of Heaven's Gate.

May 19, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • sonas76

All they have to do is look behind the Mr. Clean under the sink...the Comet is right there.

May 19, 2011 at 12:53 am |
  16. Jeff

You know what's even more harmful than doomsayers? Giving them center stage on a global news site.

May 19, 2011 at 12:26 am |
    • Peyton

You said that correctly. These major news organizations are the ones to blame here. There will always be crazies, but it's when you validate them with front page stories....

May 19, 2011 at 12:40 am |
  17. J Z

In discussing His return to Earth, Jesus told His disciples, “... of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” (Matthew 24:36). The bible has prophecies that have been fulfilled some preachers say more than 70% of them have come true which gives a time line for revelations prophecies. Which some proclaim we are in. In my belief we have God that weaves the very fabric of space and time so predictions and prophecies could be a time line with but that is just it. A time line could have a infinite amount of avenues arriving at the same out come just a different time. So for groups that proclaim to know the day and exact hour do nothing but prey on humans curiosity and survival instinct. People have been making prophecies since the dawn of human kind how many people or groups proclaimed dooms day to coincide with the turn of twenty'th century and the Y2K drama. One should took a scientific look at why most major religions coincide with an end date at 2012. I believe like many others that non terrestrial forces may have been at work to shape these outcomes or for all we know we could have been communicating with our future selves in the past to save ourselves from self destruction on the space time continuum.

May 19, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  18. M-kell

Well if nothing changes on the 21 does that mean no one was righteous?

May 19, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • Bjjorick

nah, the bible has already told us that no one knows the time or date. He gave both a time and date, so we know he's not being led by God. So nothing is going to happen, although i think Mr. Camping has a reason he wants it to be this weekend, which we'll find out about 3 months down the line.

We're supposed to live a life like Christ, and not 'cram for it' at the last minute. That's why you can't take these things seriously.

God bless you.

May 19, 2011 at 1:54 am |
  19. Johhnny

Enough of this ok this puts chirstanity and americans to shame, you dont see other contries trying to figure out doom also Harold has wasted a couple years of his life on this stupid caravan project. He is also in denial with the only god no's when. i belive his "supporters" only support as they fear if they do not they will not be raptured this is stupid just enjoy your life you never no when you will die, this goes to harold he is almost 90. if you harold see this and this does not happen i encourage you to retire from this bs doomsday crap. it is not benefical to any of us, i would rather be suprised by a rapture than no a certain date. you are scaring kids worldwide so just let it be please

May 19, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  20. TD

First, check out this Q&A:

Q: What if May 21 ends and nothing occurs?

A: CRAP! That would seriously blow. May 21st is the end. Really. Trust us. We did the math, and we did it before we got drunk.

You can read the rest at http://bit.ly/mONraB

Next, you'll be shocked to hear Santa's reaction. He's actually happy about May 21st! Read his full reaction – http://bit.ly/SantaDoomsDay

May 18, 2011 at 11:57 pm |