home
RSS
Baldwin goes behind camera for faith-based video
Stephen Baldwin (left) partnered with singer Cory Lamb on the video "Break the Cycle"
May 20th, 2011

Baldwin goes behind camera for faith-based video

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - Singer Cory Lamb’s new single is called “Break the Cycle,” a song about going from the world where you exist for yourself to one where you live for God.

“It’s about being in the world, not of it,” Lamb said recently by phone from New York.

The message of the song resonates with Stephen Baldwin, the youngest of the acting Baldwin siblings and a devout Christian who has been known to share his story of redemption - and his own breaking of “the cycle.”

Baldwin, who says he was born again shortly after the attacks of 9/11, directed the video for Lamb’s debut song on his new CD, also entitled “Break the Cycle.” It’s the first time Baldwin has ever directed a music video. But he seemed unfazed by being behind the camera instead of being in his usual spot out front.

“I was pretty jazzed when someone [from the PR agency both men use] gave me the song,” Baldwin said. “It’s just my natural creative excitement. I got a vision in my head, and pretty much what you see in the video is what came to me the first time I heard the song.”

He said he relied on his experience on sets, as well as his "organic" learning process about how to take what's on paper and in his mind and setting it on film. Baldwin has been in more than 60 movies and said he’s been told many times by producers that he should try directing. Nothing surprised him about the video-making process, he said, except how much fun he had.

Lamb said he loved working with Baldwin, whom he knew as the character “Barney Rubble” in the live-action film "The Flintstones," and had his nervousness quickly allayed when he met the high-intensity Baldwin, who was yin to his low-key yang.

“I’m easygoing and he’s full of energy,” Lamb said. “He really loves what he does.”

The video was shot for the most part with the help of film students at Florida State University.

“They were a real blessing,” Baldwin said. “It was a little bit of a risk to use the kids, but many of them knew as much as the people on the crews of the movies I’ve been in. That’s not an exaggeration.”

Each day, Baldwin would gather together a small group and pray before beginning work. It wasn’t a big group prayer, he said, because he wanted to respect the feelings of everyone on the set.

“We didn’t want to be too forward with the other members of the crew,” he said. “They knew what we were about. I prefer to lead by example.”

Lamb, who defines his music not as Christian per se but as having a positive message, said he was like a fish out of water as an actor. But he said the actor-turned-director got a good performance out of him in typical Stephen Baldwin fashion - with enthusiastic correction.

“He yelled sometimes, but he did it in a loving way,” Lamb said. “He was very driven by his vision.”

Lamb has the potential to act in longer-form projects, Baldwin said. But he’s so impressed by Lamb’s songs.

“He has such vision,” Baldwin said. “And I was totally blown away by his music. He has a very unique sound.”

Their paths will separate for now. Baldwin has been working on two faith-based films, including one called "I’m In Love With The Church Girl." He’s also considering a feature-film directing opportunity. Lamb is focused on touring and, when that is done, wants to go on a mission trip to Haiti with the Christian nonprofit Conduit Mission.

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Culture & Science • Faith • Florida • Music • TV

1. bud and doyle

dude make another biodome and smile

August 28, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  2. Monbois

If this means that we'll never have to watch Stephen Baldwin's bad acting ever again, then there IS a God!!!

August 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  3. Adam

Uhhh... Corey LAMB? "going from the world where you exist for yourself to one where you live for God." Anyone catch a possible reference to the video game Bioshock 2? Sofia LAMB, the villain in Bioshock 2, basically creates a religion in Rapture that the bad guys "selflessly" and mindlessly follow because they think it will save the society from the self? Whether or not you find this a coincidence.... Alec Baldwin, you have a silly face.

July 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Adam

Edit: *Stephen Baldwin has a silly face.

July 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  4. John

Noble looks that way to me

July 15, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  5. John

The more hateful people I hear professing they are "saved' and are going to heaven the more it becomes a place I do not want to be.

July 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  6. Noble9

From the picture it looks like the caption should be "Baldwin admits that he's gay."

July 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Polaroid Guy

Nice. I was thinking the exact same thing. Say, Larry Craig can we borrow your foot tapping morse code for a second?

July 28, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  7. butterfly72

All I know in this matter is that I would rather live my life believing that there is a God and find out in the end that there isn't than to live my life as if there is no God to find out in the end that there is!

June 28, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Kellyann67

butterfly, do you feel that ones personal beliefs should be based on love or fear of the uknown? Love, my friend.

July 28, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  8. Ron

How true scripture is today. 2 timothy 4:1-5
    1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

June 28, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  9. chief

CNN Please take this picture down.... baldwin looks like his brother doing the scout leader skit with sandler

June 28, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  10. Chris

We will all live for an eternity in either heaven or hell. Despite what you might believe, The Bible makes it pretty clear that hell will be a place of unquenchable torment and suffering. What an awful fate for anyone! I only want to see as many people aviod this destination as possible. I know people will mock this, and say I'm simplistic, and narrow minded, and all kinds of other nasty things, but that's ok. I can only speak what I know to be true, and you have the right to accept it or reject it. Read John 3:36 which says: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. It's that simple. Or, if you want to know how simple it is, consider the theif on the cross next to Jesus. You can read Luke 23:42-43. 42. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.
    43. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise. This is the thief on the cross speaking to Jesus, and Jesus replies to him, and he is saved and will be in Heaven. Here he was, on a cross next to Jesus, and he could do nothing, and he didn't even say that much, but Jesus knew his heart. .....for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands
    every plan and thought. If you seek Him, He will be
    found by you; but if you forsake Him, he will cast you
    off for ever." (1 Chronicles 28:9)
    If you don't know Jesus as Lord, but would like to know more, the easiest was is to read The Bible. If you don't have a Bible, you get read it online. I would recommend the gospel of John to start with in the New Testament if you don't know where to start. Or, seek out a Bible believing church or talk to someone you know is a Christian, as I can guarantee they would love to share what Christ has done for them and let you know how He can change your life

June 28, 2011 at 1:31 am |
    • rich

Nice story, but then read the rest of the story and you find number are conterdiction are mind boggling, so whih is true then?

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?
      (a) God did (2 Samuel 24: 1)
      (b) Satan did (I Chronicles 2 1:1)
      In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?
      (a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
      (b) One million, one hundred thousand (IChronicles 21:5)
      How many fighting men were found in Judah?
      (a) Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9)
      (b) Four hundred and seventy thousand (I Chronicles 21:5)
      God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?
      (a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13)
      (b) Three (I Chronicles 21:12)
      How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem?
      (a) Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26)
      (b) Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2)
      How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?
      (a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8)
      (b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9)
      How long did he rule over Jerusalem?
      (a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8)
      (b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9)
      The chief of the mighty men of David lifted up his spear and killed how many men at one time?
      (a) Eight hundred (2 Samuel 23:8)
      (b) Three hundred (I Chronicles 11: 11)
      When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem? Before defeating the Philistines or after?
      (a) After (2 Samuel 5 and 6)
      (b) Before (I Chronicles 13 and 14)
      How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?
      (a) Two (Genesis 6:19, 20)
      (b) Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8-9)
      When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture?
      (a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4)
      (b) Seven thousand (I Chronicles 18:4)
      How many stalls for horses did Solomon have?
      (a) Forty thousand (I Kings 4:26)
      (b) Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25)
      In what year of King Asa's reign did Baasha, King of Israel die?
      (a) Twenty-sixth year (I Kings 15:33 – 16:8)
      (b) Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1)
      How many overseers did Solomon appoint for the work of building the temple?
      (a) Three thousand six hundred (2 Chronicles 2:2)
      (b) Three thousand three hundred (I Kings 5:16)
      Solomon built a facility containing how many baths?
      (a) Two thousand (1 Kings 7:26)
      (b) Over three thousand (2 Chronicles 4:5)
      Of the Israelites who were freed from the Babylonian captivity, how many were the children of Pahrath-Moab?
      (a) Two thousand eight hundred and twelve (Ezra 2:6)
      (b) Two thousand eight hundred and eighteen (Nehemiah 7:11)
      How many were the children of Zattu?
      (a) Nine hundred and forty-five (Ezra 2:8)
      (b) Eight hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:13)
      How many were the children of Azgad?
      (a) One thousand two hundred and twenty-two (Ezra 2:12)
      (b) Two thousand three hundred and twenty-two (Nehemiah 7:17)
      How many were the children of Adin?
      (a) Four hundred and fifty-four (Ezra 2:15)
      (b) Six hundred and fifty-five (Nehemiah 7:20)
      How many were the children of Hashum?
      (a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:19)
      (b) Three hundred and twenty-eight (Nehemiah 7:22)
      How many were the children of Bethel and Ai?
      (a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:28)
      (b) One hundred and twenty-three (Nehemiah 7:32)
      Ezra 2:64 and Nehemiah 7:66 agree that the total number of the whole assembly was 42,360. Yet the numbers do not add up to anything close. The totals obtained from each book is as follows:
      (a) 29,818 (Ezra)
      (b) 31,089 (Nehemiah)
      How many singers accompanied the assembly?
      (a) Two hundred (Ezra 2:65)
      (b) Two hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:67)

Atheism is not a religion nor is it a belief.

June 28, 2011 at 8:42 am |
  11. Edward Watson

Time to send Steven to the showers where he belongs, handing out the soap!

June 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  12. Jaybird

Baldwin and that other guy in the photo really look like lovers, especially Baldwin with that sultry look in his eyes and that mouth, OMG that mouth says it ALL!

June 26, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • VegasRage

Not to mention drunk off their āsses, hot head Baldwin doing a faith based video is hilarious.

June 27, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • Chris

VegasRage, I think you mean Stephen's hot-head brother Alec Baldwin.

June 27, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  13. Thomas

To all who have posted negative comments about religion/ faith/ God/ etc... WHY do you bother reading CNN "Belief" section, and take the time to read and even post comments here? And then have the nerve to call religious people bigots and other assorted insults. This is simply hypocritical – your moral failure in full display for anyone who reads your post. Isn't it great that these posts are anonymous!

June 26, 2011 at 8:04 am |
    • Jonathan

Because we are trying to EDUCATE!.......saving our kids and the future generations from Christian indoctrination and brainwashing. I am not an athiest, I am a former Christian. Christianity is a man created myth and the Bible is one of the most forged and corrupted books in history. " Christianity is the Greatest Story Ever Sold"

June 26, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • nisroc

And Jonathan just because your beliefs have changed gives you the right to slap those that do believe in it across the face? Maybe the bible is forged, maybe because it have been translated who knows how many times, but honestly God does not live in the bible. The bible is a story, a place that some people find security, guild lines... the point is does not you think of the bible, or another religion, bashing that religion is not going to make the world better, only bring more hate into it.

I'm not religious, but I am human, no matter what religion you belong to ill let you believe in that religion as you wish with bashing it. It is called respect and it make me a better person, you should try it sometime Jonathan.

June 26, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • OtherJonathan

@Jonathan – I'd say my faith is not strong but I'm not going to call Christians bigots or any other religion. You lost faith and think you are a better person for it. To me you are the same person just switching sides. You were on a high horse then and you're just on another horse now. The bible may not be complete truth but it does have some legitimate accounts of history. I think you are more irritated, as am I, that it had been used by corrupted men and organizations as a tool to control and manipulate people (history of the Catholic church). I don't believe thats the message or accounts of the bible. I think God intended true freedom and the people desired government and control. Hebrew people wanted a king even though God had objected. Jesus often challenged the government and religious structure of the temple. Look at the bible from a different perspective and learn from it.

June 26, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • jeff

Thomas...its because too many so called Christains have abandoned the core message. Jesus was about love, forgiveness, and hope. I've found too many "christians" wanting to screw over the poor...buy more weapons to be dropped on non-christains and give more money to the rich. What happned to love the poor...turn the other cheek...and what must a rich man pass through to get to heaven.

June 26, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Michael

Thomas, I read (and sometimes comment on) stories that are linked to the main page. It doesn't matter to me which section of CNN.com the article resides in.

June 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Jim

Because they don't have anything to do outside of hating or intense disliking of others. It has nothing to do with education as anyone can see by their posts (ignorant, angry, disrespectful and just posting their opinions).

June 27, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • rich

Two thousand years ago multiple religions were the cultural norm. The belief in multiple GODs was widely accepted and only varied by type (and special abilities) depending the region you were from. None of the stories were ever PROVEN (BAR NONE) and always written well after the events. The only thing that changed was the names used, from Sumerian times the God “An” to the current Christian name “YAWEH”. Really about the only thing that changed was the “story teller”. In order to improve his or her deity, the writer creates wondrous feats of magic that go beyond basic physical laws. You will find the very same Creation (according to the Sumerian) stories written thousand years earlier, only the name has changed to meet the current God. Of course when questioned these stories, always the standard answer has been “God says so” . But yet these same people question believer’s of other religious sects like the Jehovah Witness and Morons and label them as “whack –jobs” , but fail to see they are no different. The major difference is modern man has proven through scientific exam the laws of nature and how man really works and YES we evolved from lower forms of life and YES Apes are our distance cousin (deal with it).

I’m not interested in changing anyone beliefs, that is for you to decide. If believing in whatever you wish to believe make you feel better about yourself, please continue. But stop with trying to make the stories sound if they are true. No ONE (BAR NONE) has ever seen any God (outside of the occasional burring bush and always alone), parted the Red Sea or the Jewish Sea of Reeds or even a damn pond or have they ever turned anyone to stone, pillar of salt or into your favorite color. If you tried (and a few have) to use any of the stories mention in the bible as a test of scientific theory or used in court for defense the angel Satan made me do it, or God said so, who are you to say “He’s lying”

I’m very happy with my life and YES I know I’m going to die as it is very much a part of life. I’m not so vain or fearful about what will happen that I need stories to comfort my fears. I know I will live forever, I can see it every day with the next generation and I sigh with relief, that they will make the world a better place. Enjoy your life, do what you can to make it better, don’t live in fear of unknown.

Stephen F Roberts: “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Atheism is not a religion nor is it a belief.

June 28, 2011 at 8:46 am |
    • Tchr89

@Rich of the long post: Did you mean to write "Morons" instead of Mormons? Were you implying Mormons are morons? Or were you classifying a group of people as Morons intentionally? I believe the Mormons are incorrect in their belief system; however, I wouldn't want to call them Morons. That is rude. Hopefully yours was just a typo.

July 11, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Just.Me

Jonathan. You probably were not Christian to begin with. If you truly committed to Jesus the Christ the first time, then you'd still be a believer today. On the other hand, a believer can go either way so it is a choice for the Christian on a daily basis to choose but he cannot swing back and forth - it's not healthy. For the one who chooses to follow Christ daily, he/she will be rewarded in the end.

August 17, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • Bridget

why do atheists strive so hard for a world without GOD? weve been through this before it was called Nazi Germany

August 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  14. dave

lol you can see the conceded smile of ignorance on their faces

June 26, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  15. gregory

Steven.. you have no talent.. and there is no god... next page

June 26, 2011 at 5:11 am |
    • dave

^agree

June 26, 2011 at 6:59 am |
    • joe

there is a God

June 26, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • Bridget

Oh but there most certainly is beyond a shadow of a doubt a GOD,my friend

August 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  16. stephen Bertalli

What's all this obsession about religion? Can't people just be able to practice their religions, and there are many of them, without publicizing it? It's avery personal and private matter and I don't really care who is "born again" or not. This is not news-worthy. And, by the way, a lot of people do not believe in God, which is also a right.

June 26, 2011 at 4:47 am |
    • joe

you have a contradictory thought capacity. So on your view those that believe in God are right and those that dont believe in God are right. Who taught you to think??? Terrible. By the way on a Christian woroldview all is Gods and there is no separation of faith and life. No secular and sacred. All truth is Gods truth.

June 26, 2011 at 8:20 am |
    • OtherJonathan

To practice religion, I would hope a person would also believe it to an extent. If a person truly believes there is a heaven and a hell and there's a way to save another from it, they should be genuinely convicted to confront that individual and explain theres a rescue plan of sorts. We have a right to choose whether or not to believe it, but no matter how annoying it might be, we shouldnt have a right to shut that person up in a public setting.

June 26, 2011 at 8:36 pm |