home
RSS
May 23rd, 2011

My Take: This just in, Tennessee court says Islam is a religion

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

A few months ago I spoke at an interfaith forum at the University of North Alabama. One of the speakers on my panel was Ossama Bahloul, imam of the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro.

Bahloul began his talk by observing that God must have a sense of humor to have given him a name as problematic as Ossama. But the heart of his talk concerned the compatibility of Islam with American values.

What surprised me about Bahloul, in both his public talk and our private conversations, was his deep and abiding faith in America. Signs at the construction site for his planned mosque had been vandalized twice and federal investigators had determined that a fire at the site was intentionally set. Efforts to build that mosque, appropriate for a growing congregation that had been active in the area for roughly two decades, were met not only with protests but also with a lawsuit.

Follow CNN's Belief Blog on Twitter

Yet Bahloul continued to believe that what was right would win out in the end.

In the lawsuit, opponents of the mosque argued, among other things, that Islam was not a religion and therefore was not entitled to the free exercise protections and special zoning treatment given to religious organizations. But last week, a Murfreesboro court ruled for the Islamic center.

In his ruling, judge Robert Corlew announced "that Islam is a religion." The fact that a court of law in the United States would actually have to make such a finding is a sad commentary on where we are today in the United States in terms of religious literacy.

Tennessee imam: My mosque was torched

Islam is not just a religion. It is the second largest religion in the world, with over 1 billion adherents. And as the Murfreesboro case demonstrates, some of these Muslims are our neighbors.

There is still one legal issue unsettled in this case—a technical matter concerning whether a prior proceeding allowing the mosque construction had followed the rules of a local open meetings ordinance. But, as the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro noted on its web page yesterday, the building permit is now in hand.

And, at least for now, the First Amendment is still the law of the land in Tennessee.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Church and state • Courts • Islam • Opinion • Tennessee • United States

1. Praiseb2sammie

Grow up and put all these fairy tales and myths behind you. Whether you belief in Christianity, Islam or the Purple People Eater, just grow up and accept life on life's terms. You can still live a righteous and spiritually fulfilling life without all the religious nonsense. Stop brainwashing and lying to your children and just be a good parent and guide to them.

May 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  2. PreacherTeacher

Science, reason and logic are the only way forward. Put aside all these myths and fairy tales and help make the world a better place for your children. Religion has been tried and failed many times over.

May 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  3. tommas

"Do not think that I [Jesus] have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)" so yes all christians must follow the old testament and that makes you know better than a muslim (in your eyes)

May 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Leo

@tommas What's your problem with religion anyway? How do my believes affect you as long as I don't throw them at you?

May 23, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

@ tommas, "...all christians must follow the old testament..."

If that is true... then please tell me why we Christians are not sacrificing animals on altars anymore?

May 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • tommas

Leo, because religious people vote based on how a few thousand year old mythology tells them. If people truly kept their religion to themselves, stop indoctrinating (ie brainwashing) children, and adapted their views to this millenia I would not have a problem.

May 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

@Fidei
      Because they're doing it with a human these days, day after day, week after week, even though they say it was "once for all". Maybe it will "take" one of these days.

May 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • Leo

@tommas, I get where you're coming from, I really do. But not all Christian are like that you know? A good number of us are really respectful of others

May 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

@ Finger Puppet,

You truly don’t know the difference between a person who claims to be a Christian and those who try to be a Biblical Christian. “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.” – Matthew 7:21, NKJV.

May 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • tommas

And so are many of the muslims, hindus, and buddhists that I know. But there is nothing more dangerous then a book that says it has all the answers as it just breed extremism.

May 23, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

You can say that also for books like "The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason; Letter to a Christian Nation; The God Delusion; and, God is Not Great." They promote NEW ATHEISM that is more aggressive, more demanding, and less tolerant of anything other than itself.

May 23, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  4. Jewish Orthodox Newspaper

We don't show images of women in our newspapers...thank you for accepting us...

make sure Muslim woman don't wear veil though....

May 23, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  5. Christian Priest

I moles-t little ones, so by American logic, all Christians are child molester-s
    Thank you.

May 23, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  6. Chris Braun

I beat up Rehana, so all Christians and non-Muslims are wife beaters...may be?!

Freakin skinheads!

May 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  7. Susan

Islam is backward, hateful, racist, violent, bigoted and a fraud. It's so obvious it makes me wonder why we even have to discuss this. Just deport all its followers and move on. It's the 3rd millennium now and nobody wants to live by 7th century beliefs and laws. Who wants to deal with these islamic bigots and haters? Definitely not me.

May 23, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • tommas

Throw christianity in there too and you are correct

May 23, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Susan wrote: "Islam is backward"

You mean that the True Religion should be named "Malsi" ?

May 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Rob

Me, a Christian and my wife, an ex-muslim who turned Christian after we started dating, will have a baby soon. It will be Christian too. Now, the reason why I am writing this is, that we, and our unborn child, are getting death threats from muslims because my wife is an apostate. We live in the US. My question to you muslim appeasing liberals and muslims: you always say islam is peaceful and muslims in the US are no threat to anyone. So how can you explain these threats?

May 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Frogist

@Rob:
      I'm sorry about your situation but you've made some serious generalizations to make your outrage feel ok. Instead of dealing with the individuals who are threatening you, you've chosen to condemn an entire religious group and an entire political spectrum. That's the definition of prejudice.
      I am an agnostic and have been welcomed openly in the homes of my muslim friends but my evangelical friend considers me an evil, shortsighted Satan worshipper. By your standards, I should hate all Christians and love all muslims. I do not. I try to take each person by their actions as much as possible.
      Certainly I can see how you would be wary. I too am wary of Evangelicals. But if I was to treat them all as two-faced, you would call me prejudiced, wouldn't you? Fact of the matter is, every group has good people and bad ones. It would be unwise of us to pretend the bad ones don't exist when we meet them, but it would be equally unwise to ignore the good ones.

May 24, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  8. Mark Geartz

I do respect the way Muslims are clarifying things here without foul language...I think it's a quality that we need to learn here in the west if we want to win hearts...
    I am shocked by these so called "civilized" people cursing and hating at Islam. Please don't do this you are making it easy for Muslims to win over us.

May 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Michelle

Your liberal, ignorant mind seems to forget about all the muslim violence and hatred violence against non-muslims in muslim countries. What makes you think it would be different over here if we had more muslims living here? Do you think the ones that emigrated to the US are so much more tolerant and peaceful than their fellows in their original countries? Looking at the muslims involved in homegrown terrorism pretty much answers this question. Dream on.

May 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

You mean the way the Christian immigrants behaved towards the Native Americans?

May 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • tommas

Michelle, your closed mind seems not to be able to grasp that all religions are just as guilty.

May 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Abdul Rehman

Trust me, Islam only respects the powerful and if you are weak you will be treated really bad. When I was in college I removed a few hateful religious stickers from the common room mirrors and people threatend to kill me. Every year a few hundred christians are killed in Pakistan for blasphemy. Recently an Imam and his son received life impresonment for removing a banner from the wall of their store that had Muhammad's name on it.
      The organized Islam is going to gaim power and soon we are going to see them forcing people to live according to what they want in at least in small pockets in the US.

May 23, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Frogist

@Michelle: What makes me think things would be different in the US than in say Iran? History. We have a long history of immigrants from many countries coming to our shores with many cultures and religious backgrounds. None have taken over. Our laws and rights still exist. You point of view, Michelle, seems downright unpatriotic.

May 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  9. Walid

Islam is not true religion. I am ex-muslim and when I was reading quran, I realized full of contradictions and errors. How can god make error? It is impossible. So it can not be god's word. Other muslims threaten me here in America because I say truth about Islam but I am not muslim any more. Islam has no future because not real. American people should not allow Islam to threaten their country.

May 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Ralphie

Fake.

May 23, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Walid

@Ralphie, why you say that? You don't know me but you make comment like this. You very ignorant. Pity.

May 23, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • TRUTH ABOUT ISLAM

Islam is the truth.. there are not contradictions and it is the only perfect religion.. check out the this link to clear up any misconceptions..

May 23, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  10. Flora

I'd rather have that mosque than the mor-mon temple going in near me. Both post-christian M religions want to turn the world into a theocracy with their prophet (or profit) at at top. And the one from utah is sneakier and better funded.

May 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  11. I love Islam

I love my infant cute boy – Hamza and what him to follow Islam. I love Islam. I feel sorry for people that get misguided because of the media. There is nothing more beautiful than Islam and trust me I am not the person who gets brainwashed. So don't even go there...peace to all.

May 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Dr

prepare for a dirty comment from a someone who most likely believes they love freedom and you are evil simply because they needed something to hate

May 23, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Leo

Love your boy to the moon. Best to you and peace for all.
      P.S. Unfortunately Dr is right. Haters will hate, that's all they know.

May 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Megan

Hmm, you guys are talking about the kind of hate we see every day coming from muslims? Killing apostates, non-muslims, beating wives etc. Wow! What a great religion! You guys don't have much going for ya, and I mean both the liberal ldiots and the muzzies.

May 23, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Leo

@Megan, since I disagree with you I must be a Muslim or a liberal, or have nothing going on for me? great reasoning! Did you learn that at Harvard or the MIT? If that thought process gives you the comfort you need, keep on doing it. But please don't say that out loud, just trust me on this one.

May 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  12. Dr

Plus if you are going to Google certain words and then assume the entire religion is based on that I'm sure you could find lots of things to take out of context in the Bible. When I read the Quran, the first Verses mentioning war, mentioned them in self-defense, and always followed statements of fighting with saying "and if they stop, then God is all merciful," I mean Islam and Muslims have been around for over 1400 years, and the we never had a problem with them ( until we started invading their nations). For the next 30 years the media and the public will keep bashing muslims, then the next generation will make fun of this one for being so ignorate, just like we do about the slave owners. I bet people in Muslim countries with internet read comments from people like Mycology (name suits you btw) and tell their kids, "look how much they hate us." If you watch the "I have a dream" speech by MLK jr, he has scores of Muslims behind him (thats why they are wearing those white hats). They must All be bad people

May 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • tommas

In both the bible and the koran you don't have to take things out of text for either to be immoral

May 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

No "Dr" I know would start a sentence with the word "Plus". There are a few other clues, but we'll leave it at that.

May 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Dr,
      "Muslims have been around for over 1400 years, and the we never had a problem with them..."
      I think the court ruling and this article are correct, however, your statement is a bit inaccurate, I think. Islam has been around a long time, but, depending on who "we" is, there have been problems. Starting with the invasion and capture of Israel by Caliph Umar in the 600's to the Crusades to the Ottoman Empire conquering most of the Mediterranean to problems the US had in it's beginnings with the Muslims on the Barbary Coast (culminating in the Treaty of Tripoli), to the downfall of the Ottoman Empire during WWI.
      Not that Christianity is any better, but it has been far from a peaceful history until we "started invading their lands" (paraphrased)

May 23, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  13. ZeeMan

@ Mycolology. Winston Churchill was born in 1874, so if we are to believe your quotation of him, he wrote that when he was 25 years old. Hardly a statesman at that age. You would believe a 25 year old British in the 1800's about the militancy of muslims? What about the British and other European colonialists who were murdering and plundering across the globe at will during the same period? Think before you speak.

May 23, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
  14. Dr

Why is it when commenters mention Muslim countries, they only keep using Saudi Arabia as the example? Arabs only make up 13% of all Muslims, and others religions are clearly accepted in Muslims countries ( like Malaysia, Jordan, I think even 30% of Syria is Non-Muslim). To people who say Muslims never did anything for the world...what? Every religion has offered something. Check a pic of the ceiling of the Library of Congress, where it has all the factors that helped form this nation, Islam is up there. There are over 40 Muslim countries in the world, all with different cultures, yet it seems all muslims have to be compared with Saudi, while most Muslims in the world disagree with Saudi's policies competely. I mean I would hate for someone in Europe to see that people in the US thought the world was going to end May 21st, then assume we ALL believed that.

May 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  15. Leo

When I read the bible I see a message of tolerance and inclusion towards others despite their religion. Did Jesus only sat at the table of those that shared his views? What king of Christians are we?

May 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • tommas

You do realize that there is another whole half to your book (full of god ordered war, mass murder, and ra-pe) that jesus specifically said you must follow too. The bible is nothing more than the koran in reverse without any abrogation

May 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  16. Reality

An update on the major religions in less than 100 words: (please staple a copy on your mosque, church or synagogue doors)

SAVING 1.5 BILLION LOST MUSLIMS:------------–

THERE NEVER WAS AND NEVER WILL BE ANY ANGELS I.E. NO GABRIEL, NO ISLAM AND THEREFORE NO MORE IMAM AND KORANIC-DRIVEN ACTS OF HORROR AND TERROR

SAVING 2 BILLION LOST CHRISTIANS:
    THERE WAS AND NEVER WILL BE ANY BODILY RESURRECTIONS I.E. NO EASTER, NO CHRISTIANITY

SAVING 15.5 MILLION ORTHODOX FOLLOWERS OF JUDAISM:
    ABRAHAM AND MOSES PROBABLY NEVER EXISTED.

Added details upon request.

May 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Lycidas

No request..go away.

May 23, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • ZeeMan

I think you just saved 3.5 billion people as muslims believe Jesus is the savior and will come back to save all of us (although they don't believe in him being the son of god). Funny how muslims believe in christianity and judaism; christians believe in judaism or at least their book but not in islam or Koran, and jews only believe in themselves. It must be because they are the chosen ones and christians and muslims are not.

May 23, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  17. Chin Tu Fat

I am a student of comparitive religion and Islam is actually a beautiful religion. Every single day in this free country of ours, I see people from all walks of life from US soldiers to scientists, rappers etc. converting to Islam. They see the hate and lies about Islam floating around and when they do the real research they convert to Islam. Believe it or not, ISLAM IS THE FASTEST GROWING RELIGION IN THE WESTERN WORLD.
    I woldn't hate, I would do proper research with an open mind and debate with them. Cursing and mocking is asign that a person is not sincere.

May 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • tommas

Side note: both Islam and atheism are growing faster than christianity

May 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Mycology

YOU ARE A LIAR

Islam is not the "fastest growing religion" that is the "FASTEST GROWING LIE"

1. Islam does not let muslism convert out – they KILL anyone who tries.

2. The majority of Islam's "growth" is due to massive birthrate per women, while they go unfed, uneducated, and unloved (except if they become a suicide bomber)

that doesn't make them the fastest growing "religion"

that makes the the fastest growing disaster / embarassment to humanity. Only a mudslime would be proud of how many ignorant babies he can force his concubines to pop out.

May 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • HenryL

You are preaching to morons Chin. Some of these skin heads breed hatred of other religions.
      Hey as long as the Christian Hell-hole of Murfeesboro allows tolerance, this country shall be a peaceful place.
      I must admit that the majority of the stuff on the internet/media etc. are biased and hateful. At least the comments made on forums. You see Muslims are out there preaching their religion to our children with love and respect, and here were cursing, hating and mocking Islam, which I find disturbing. These are not good morals and this is why as long as we have people like mycology, this country is going down the tube.

May 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Reality

Chin Tu Fat,

This is the first day of the rest of your life:

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

May 23, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • tommas

Mycology, All of those statements can be just as easily geared towards christians

May 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Finger Puppet

Agree. I don't believe in it at all, but I attended a series of great lectures at Oxford, by a trio of Muslim women scholars, who explained in detail how Islam has been hijacked by it's extremists, and how that is mostly what we hear about here. It is definitely interesting to find out what Islam really teaches. So much hatred has been perpetrated in it's name, but so has hate been done in the name of most other religions.

May 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Mycology, I'm no Doctor, but that much hate can not be healthy for you.

May 23, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Reality

Only for the those interested in an update on the major religions:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

"New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment.

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.
      earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

3. Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:

Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

4. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current crises:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

May 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  18. JohnQuest

Mycology, are you saying that if your country was occupied and that the occupational forces had killed hundreds of thousands of your fellow country men (and women) you would act more like the Tibetans then the Taliban?

May 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Mycology

My point is, the Tibetans act like Tibetans

and the muslims act like muslims.

May 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Mycology, I read that as you approve of one (Tibetans) and not the other (Taliban), I was just wondering, given the same set of circ umstances which one would you emulate?

May 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • tommas

John, Ghandi already answered your question: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ"... And for some reason not being like their prophet is not an insult to the double thinking christians

May 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  19. Chin Tu Fat

I don't think cursing at Islam will really help our cause. Its just childish...waht are you people pubics getting antsy?

May 23, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  20. Mycology

Tibetans have a very real culture,

their country is occupied by China, BRUTALLY,

they have suffered massive casualties in the hundreds of thousands...

can anyone tell me the last time they heard of a Tibetan buddhist suicide bomber? nope didn't think so.

May 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • tommas

Point taken: we should all convert to Buddhism for now as it is the only remaining religion that has any credit at the moment... until proves without a doubt consciousness is in the brain. Then good bye any credit to ANY religion

May 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • ZeeMan

Mycology, the question was asked how would you act if your land was occupied and your family and friends were killed daily, if you would act like a tibetan or taliban. Let's face it, turning the other cheek is not the western or middle eastern way. Don't expect muslims radicals to act like tibetans, which they are not, and neither are you. Just look at how many America has killed in retaliation after 911. That is certianly not like the tibetans behave, so don't act like one either.

May 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • JohnQuest

ZeeMan, that was my point, I am a very proud American. I have served and my children are serving now. Lets not be misguided here, for the rest of the world, those fine American dropping those Cluster Bombs on "Schools" are Christians (no matter their actual beliefs (because, over 80% of our military claim Christianity).

I think what Mycology is saying is that, it is okay to fly a multi-billion dollar jet to the other side of the world to kill en-masse but it is not okay to fight against the those people in the jets with the only weapon you have.

Mycology, do I have that about right?

May 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Stevie7

@JohnQuest,

But clearly our killing is perfectly justified. I mean, have you seen prices at the pump lately? Surely that alone justifies lying to invade foreign countries and kill others. Plus, our bombs are smart, so therefore, they're better. Also, the media doesn't really spend much time reporting on the deaths that we cause, so it doesn't count.

May 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Bruce

Mycology, why are you comparing Taliban to the Tibetans? Shouldn't you be comparing the Taliban to the Chinese, since they are both examples of foreign occupying forces, subjugating a people to their own foreign rules?

Well, that is until now, where the occupying forces in Afghanistan are no longer the (Arab) Taliban, but rather the U.S. military...

May 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm |