home
RSS
My Take: There’s nothing brief about a hookup
May 31st, 2011

My Take: There’s nothing brief about a hookup

Editor's Note: Dannah Gresh is author of What Are You Waiting For? The One Thing No One Ever Tells You About Sex.

By Dannah Gresh, Special to CNN

Recent studies have revealed some good news in the sex culture among college co-eds: there are more virgins among them now than was the case a few years ago.

These days, 29% of females and 27% of males between ages 15 and 24 claim to be virgins, up from 22% of both sexes in 2002, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

But among the college students who aren’t abstaining, we’re seeing more sex, thanks to casual hookups. According to recent research from Stanford University, the majority of college co-eds are still having sex, with an average 9.7 sexual partners for men and 7.1 for women.

Thankfully, we have more scientific information about casual sex than our parents did when they drove their Volkswagen buses to Woodstock for a dose of the sexual revolution. They wanted to think—as many of those cruising along the New Millennium highway still do—that we can engage in the act of sex without the emotion.

"Emma wants a relationship without the relationship. She just wants the sex,” actress Natalie Portman said of her role in the recent movie "No Strings Attached." “…I’m tired of seeing girls who want to get married all the time and that's all they're interested in. I think there is a wider vision of how women can conduct their lives and what they want."

Sounds so easy.

Just like the hippie culture found a pill that conveniently removed the “inconvenience” of pregnancy, today’s hookup culture believes it has found a recipe for removing the inconvenience of emotion: friends with benefits.

Scientifically, though, that’s impossible. We know that thanks to what neuroscientists have learned about a walnut-sized mass in the brain called the deep limbic system.

The deep limbic system stores and classifies odor, music, symbols and memory. In other words, it’s a place for romance, capable of processing a splash of cologne on your lover’s neck, a particular iPod playlist or a bouquet of red roses.

The brain chemicals associated with romance and sex wash over the deep limbic system during a wide variety of sexual experiences, according to research from the Medical Institute for Sexual Health.

Holding hands, embracing, a gentle massage and, most powerfully, the act of sexual intercourse work together to create a cocktail of chemicals that records such experiences deep into the emotional center of your brain.

It’s why we remember sexual experiences and images so clearly.

One of the critical neurochemicals released during sex is dopamine. Dopamine makes you feel good; it creates a sense of peace and pleasure. Anytime your body experiences pleasure, whether it’s good for you (working out) or bad (doing crystal meth), the limbic system gets washed in dopamine.

In essence, it is a “craving” chemical. It makes you want more. It creates addiction. Dopamine attaches you emotionally to the source of pleasure.

Another critical sex hormone is oxytocin, the subject of recent books like "The Chemistry of Connection: How the Oxytocin Response Can Help You Find Trust, Intimacy and Love." The chemical is released during sexual expression. A tiny dose is downloaded during intimate skin-to-skin contact; a much bigger dose is released during orgasm.

In fact, the only other time as much oxytocin is released as during orgasm is when a mother is breastfeeding her baby. The mother feels its release and is bonded to her child, and the baby’s brain learns for the first time to enter into relationship by connection. I’d say the chemical’s job is to bond us for life.

The knowledge of sexual bonding is nothing new.

“Do you know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body?” the apostle Paul wrote in the New Testament. “Do you know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, ‘The two will become one flesh.’”

Christian author Lauren Winner translates those verses this way: “Don’t you know that when you sleep with someone your body makes a promise whether you do or not?”

The bottom line is that you get “addicted” and “bonded” to the people you have sex with, even if they are “just friends.”

That helps explain why Stanford sex researcher Paula England has said that “Some people are hooking up a bunch of times with the same person but are not calling it a relationship.” Maybe these people are not as unattached to their “friends” as they would like to think.

Here’s where the hookup culture starts to be a problem. What happens if you get caught up in the friends-with-benefits-game and have multiple partners? What happens when the partners you’ve become addicted and bonded to are gone?

You experience withdrawal symptoms in the emotional center of the brain.

Young women, especially, are likely to spiral into a depression when the source of their addiction isn’t interested in another hookup. A 2003 study from the conservative Heritage Foundation found that 25.3% of sexually active teenage girls experienced depression, compared to 7.7% of sexually abstinent girls.

The study found that 14.3% of sexually active girls attempted suicide, compared to 5.1% of their virgin peers.

And when a person graduates from the hookup scene and tries to have an intimate relationship with the person they want to spend the rest of their life with, things can get complicated.

There are already a lot of other people he or she will be addicted to, and that creates more chaos for the exhilarating but challenging task of building a life of intimacy together. The Kinsey Institute notes that one of the five factors that predict infidelity in a relationship is “having had a high number of prior sex partners.”

Casual sex is happening. We shouldn’t ignore it. That’s especially true of the faith community. But when we talk about it, we should use science. There’s nothing biologically brief about a hookup.

In the interest of full disclosure, my motivation here is my Christian faith. I believe sex to be an incredible gift from God, meant to transcend the physical to discover something emotional and spiritual with another person.

But since my faith may alienate some of you from my message, I ask you not to think too hard about religious differences. Stick to the facts.

The good news is that we are seeing an ever-so-small rise in the number of young people choosing abstinence.

What are they waiting for? Some mind-blowing pleasure and an incredible intimacy–without all the baggage of a broken heart.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Dannah Gresh.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Opinion • Sex • Sexuality

1. PRISM 1234

"@Prism, thank you very much. In saying our"needs," I meant something broader than the physical issue here."

Adelina, I KNOW that you meant something broader... It is for the sake of understanding of others that I said what I said. Our "culture' has been bombarded with suggestions that se-x is a "need" . Through this fallacy many have fallen in the trap of satans lies, and have sold themselves into sla-very to their own carnal drives. I know that you understand that, and I very well understand what you are saying.
    I am thankful for people as yourself, the very few who dare to stand in face of all att-acks. But the LOVE OF TRUTH WILL SUSTAIN THOSE WHO ARE NOT WILLING TO COMPROMISE IT! 🙂

June 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  2. Sharon

I think this is an awesome article. There's nothing I regret more in my life than not saving myself for marriage.

June 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

Dear Sharon,
      Thank you for sharing what you feel here, on this blog. Your words are few, but the impact of them is strong.... I don't know if you know about the blessing taht a person can recieve by being set free through the Person of Jesus Christ, God's gift of salvation to lost and fallen mankind. In His word there are these worlds written:
      :"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. Old things have passed away, behold all things have become new" .... To those who come to God by faith in His finished work on the cross, HE gives compleete newness of life, and washes them clean.
      By the power of His resurr-ection He sets this soul free.
      If you do not know of such freedom that one can have, even after making a wreck out of their lives, then ask God to show you what I wrote here to you.
      He said that those who seek Him will find Him if they seek Him with humble and contrite hearts. I hope you will understand the meaning of those words!
      And know that you are not alone! 🙂

June 3, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  3. B

The article pointed out some very convincing scientific facts about how our brain and it's chemicals can control our urges and emotions.

Most accept "memory sensation" or "sound
    Sensation" as fact. Such as when we hear an old top 40's tune we can instantly be sent back to our high school prom. Or when we smell fresh cut grass, we might think of our grandpa and how he loved mowing the lawn.

And sometimes we feel and sense things subconsciously from past experiences. Such as feeling nervous around black dogs even though you like dogs. What you might not remember but was told to you was that as a toddler you were severely bitten by a black dog. You don't remember it even though you were told, but your body reacts.

This us the same thing this article is saying about being connected to someone or something (pleasure) and not even realize it and you are cheating yourself out truly enjoying complete fulfillment with your future one and only true love. Just like the black dog example. You may be a true dog lover, and yet, your previous experience is still tied to you and your body responds which cheats you out of truly fully enjoying the experience even though you are convinced you are a true dog lover.

And yes, I am a Christian. And I believe in science and all if its wonderful facts and mysteries because it comes from something greater and good. And while we may not always understand everything, we can understand "good" and what God says and does is good.

June 3, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  4. Barbara

Dannah, I support you as a Christian sister and a believer on the road that leads to true peace and freedom. I was redeemed from a life of promiscuity and sensual gratification and now that my Creator has given me freedom from that bondage I can see how destructive it was in so many ways. Broken hearts, health problems, anger, bitterness, inability to form and sustain true lasting relationships, unable to love with a pure heart, unforgiveness, depression, guilt and the list could go on but I am living proof of what God can do to heal and nurture the wounds caused by my lack of knowledge and selfishness... and all I did was trust Him and put my whole life into His hands with ALL my heart and soul.... and He keeps His promises. 🙂

June 3, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  5. Joe

So, wait...you're telling me that teenage girls aren't emotionally ready to have s-e-x? What a concept...

Nothing in this article was shocking to me. What IS shocking is how she's saying people who aren't mature to have s-e-x responsibly end up ruining it for themselves down the line; therefor EVERYONE should wait until they are married.

Sorry, I'm not a teenage girl, nor am I some irresponsible guy who has random, unsafe hook ups.

June 3, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  6. to-be-married

Thank you Dannah! Your article is a breath of fresh air!! My fiance and I have been together for more than 5 years, and are getting married this summer. We had together decided to make a commitment to God and to each other that we would save ourselves until after the wedding, and we have not regretted this in the least bit.
    Keep up the good work Dannah 🙂

June 3, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  7. Take time for your children

I work with teens alot. I am remarried an have great step sons. We have taught them the value of what a husband should be and wife. How to truely respect, protect, cherish a women. The ways we have raised them has made them very srtong in themselves. They have had girl friends and muturally agreed to brake up so they could keep up good grade in school and there band.Always have alot of peolple around you so you are not tempted. A girl need help with algrabra they always ask if there parent will be home. If they do not trust the girl they will ask if she can come to our house. They have set high standards for themselves. So far they are doing great at it. The one in Fierelands Community is still a virgin. His goal is finishs school, find a good job, build house then a wife.

June 3, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  8. jo

Isn't it possible to wait before having s-e-x, but not to wait before marriage? I was 19 when I had s-e-x for the first time, I'm 28 now. I've had a total of 5 partners, all of which were with protection. Yet, according to this article, because I was s-e-xuall active that meant I was going to destroy my chance at a happy relationship. But here I am, 28 and dating a girl who I'm so in love with, it's almost sickening. We've been together for 2 years and neither of us can imagine our lives without each other.

Beyond that, we have a wonderful, safe s-e-x life where we, on occasion, include others. Again, we do it safely and only with people we trust...and we always have a good time. We're both happy and healthy and our love for each other has never been a question.

In short, don't take your own expectations, standards, and heightened views of s-e-x and apply them to anyone else. You'll just waste your time and annoy everyone else. 🙂

June 3, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • jo

(I have to post this twice because CNN doesn't like the word "s-e-x" even when it's properly used in a quote.)

Also, I wanted to point this out:

"The bottom line is that you get “addicted” and “bonded” to the people you have s-e-x with, even if they are “just friends.”"

I have never gotten "addicted" or "bonded" to any of the people I've slept with. When I slept with them and it turned to a relationship that eventually ended, I didn't wallow in self pity. I'm stronger than that.

June 3, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  9. TheDude

Just so you know, that Christian author, Lauren Winner? That quote you used of hers? It was stolen from the movie, 'Vanilla Sky'. Google It.

June 3, 2011 at 2:17 am |
  10. sick to my stomach

Is anyone else completely sick of seeing this adelina's comments??

I just want to make it completely clear up front that I am a Christian and agree with this article entirely. However, I am a firm believer that God is loving and kind and has no room in his heart for hating 'liberals', Americans or anyone else. You adelina should try and follow in Christ's example and not point fingers whilst spreading hate.

God does not favor the GOP; HE FAVORS LOVE! Open your MIND!

June 3, 2011 at 1:50 am |
  11. Amanda

Thanks Adelina 🙂

I like this scripture, it supports what I said earlier:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God." ( John 3: 16-21)

I am not going to get into a pointless debate...but the Bible speaks for itself...and the author of the article made some very logical points....backed up by evidence. You should never take a stance unless you are willing to support it...and she did that very well.

June 2, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  12. Tammy

Thank you for having the boldness to share the truth, even when it is politically incorrect. We need more people willing to share this message and help spare some people from one of the greatest heartaches they will ever feel.

June 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Adelina

Morality is politically incorrect in USA because it is turning into a baby-killing Sodom. Thanks to secularism which is not neutral but oppressively immoral.
      Separation of Church and State = Separation of Conscience and State
      Americans are being deceived by the snake... again.

June 2, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  13. PRISM 1234

There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death........

June 2, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  14. Adelina

From the photo, if USA made polygamy for men legal, why wasn't it made into a news by CNN until now?

June 2, 2011 at 8:13 am |
    • myweightinwords

Polygamy implies marriage and the article is not about marriage.

June 2, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Adelina

Why not a woman and several men? Where are your feminists? Sick, sick, sick... Who will take care of old Americans if US government is gone?

June 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  15. Morinta

I sure don't get much out of meaningless ho ok ups, but I find it interesting that the coastal and urban regions of the country that are least religious, most educated, and most se xually liberated are the ones with the lowest teen preg nancy rates, lowest divorce rates, lowest domestic violence rates, and lowest depression rates. I guess it's easier to preach than to practice.

June 2, 2011 at 2:52 am |
    • Adelina

Morinta, Abstinence works for all mankind. It seems it just does not work with American liberals.

June 2, 2011 at 4:18 am |
    • Morinta

Actually, Americans are some of the most prudish people in the world. The notion of abstinence simply does not exist in a vast majority of the developed world, with some holdouts in repressive cultures like Vietnam. Also, the highest teen pregnancy rates in the US occur in rural, conservative Bible Belt communities, so be careful with your judgments.

June 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • Adelina

Morinta, mankind for most part believed and practiced virgin marriage. If mankind mostly practiced the same as present secular Americans, the human world was gone long, long time ago without a trace. Learn cultures and history. The whole planet is not the USA. Why don't Americans learn human history and geography including your own?

June 2, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • PRISM 1234

"Learn cultures and history. The whole planet is not the USA. Why don't Americans learn human history and geography including your own"

LOL!... Adelina...
      You've got that right! You hit the nail on the head... my experience since I've been here leads me to believe that many Americans think that USA is the center of the world, and that the rest of it is built around it! LOL! Pride makes fools out of people, society and nation, and ultimately renders those swelled up by it incompetent to see reality!
      I've been here long enough to see where this country is heading to! There ar many God's people in this land, but the spirit o f fear has silenced many, as well as spirit of complacency, which has lulibied many, to render them being of no effect! If it keeps going the way it has been, there is only one way to go for this country , and it means spiraling downward! We need missionaries comming here, instead of going out! But most of all, America needs to be humbled and return to Him....But He knows how to bring stiff necked nation to it's knees! .... What America desperately needs is prayer !

June 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  16. Adelina

"Many sorrows shall be to the wicked; But he who trusts in the LORD, mercy shall surround him. " (Psalm 32:10)

June 2, 2011 at 2:30 am |
    • and

"nice boobs" – ron jeremy

June 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
  17. Adelina

Christian young people, I remind you that you are warriors for honor in battlefields. S-e-x-ual pure life may be tho-rny but there is true joy and deep peace which cannot be otherwise tasted or maintained. Trust in Jesus and keep purity. God never lets you down for being true to Him. A new universe awaits you victors.

June 2, 2011 at 2:06 am |
    • PRISM 1234

A-M-E-N ! ! !

June 2, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • meh

My biggest complaint with abstaining from s-e-x until marriage is that different s-e-xual interests may lead to a failed marriage. You, and your partner, need to both understand what each other likes and doesn't like. You don't know what you like until you actually do it, which means that if you suddenly find yourself attracted to the notion of restraints or something, but your partner isn't, what do you do then? What if you find that you have a generally low libido but your partner's is through the roof? If one person isn't satisfied, there is a good chance they will look elsewhere.

There's a huge difference between safe premarital s-e-x and unsafe premarital s-e-x. I would argue that ignoring your natural s-e-xual desires is far more dangerous than safely pursuing them.

June 2, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Adelina

Meh, marriage fails because of selfishness and uncontrolled lust. Only playboys and pro-sti-tutes do what you described.

June 3, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • meh

I'm gonna reiterate my main point, as I'm sure you ignored it so your religious blather sounds more accurate in your warped, biased mind:

There's a huge difference between SAFE premarital s-e-x and UNSAFE premarital s-e-x.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your nonsensical ramblings about morality and god and all of our evil ways.

June 3, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • Adelina

Meh, safety is not the issue. Once you engaged in the inappropriate intimacy, you are forever tainted. And you make the partner tainted and damaged. Not recover-able.

June 3, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • PRISM 1234

Hey, meh, you can protect yourself from se-xual disease, but you can not protect your soul, and innermost part of your being from damage you do when you cheapen your body by prost-it-uting it for another's piece of "meat" to gratify your lusts! That goes same for man and women! There is nothing religious about this, although those who know their Creator understand the meanings of things in their lives, because He is the one who is originator of life, and put His laws in our beings, and by the plum-line of His standard all things function, or dysfunction, according to the measure of living up to those standards. That's why, instead of mocking those who speak to you in such way, you should listen....you may learn something valuable which you do not understand!

June 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  18. Adelina

It's better to have no s-e-x at all than to have casual s-e-x. S-e-x must accompany the true lifetime love, no other. Those who go after casual one suffer thirst for a lifetime and wreck many lives especially one's own children. Humans were made to rise above the desires to fulfill one's own need and to live for greater cause than self. True love is a gift.

June 2, 2011 at 1:58 am |
    • myweightinwords

I have no children. I intend to never have children.

I don't believe we are meant to love only one person in a lifetime. I have loved many people, in all the many ways there are to love. S-e-x is an expression of love and should not be denied.

S-e-x is also good for you (provided you practice safely) as a relief of stress, exercise, intimate contact, etc.

June 2, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • PRISM 1234

"Humans were made to rise above the desires to fulfill one's own need and to live for greater cause than self."
      How right you are, Adelina!
      However, it is needed to substi-tute the word "need" with "carnal drives".
      God has not created and given se-x to us as a "need". If this was so, then without it man could not survive. But it was given to us as a means or channel of expression of deepest love , co-nnection and means of bonding between two people. And out of physical act which is intended to produce such bond of human hearts and souls, the children are supposed to be born... This is the design of God for human beings which He made in His image... We ARE NOT animals. we are humans, and were given this gift at such level, as no other creatures have been given!
      So, it is not hard to see how low man has fallen from the place which he was given... The picture above speaks thousand words... So do the posts on this blog!
      Because those who in their desires to fulfill their carnal drives have compromised their worth, and have silenced their consciences, denying their own souls. They do not understand the meaning of things we're talking about. .... Yet, it was given to every man(meaning human) to understand it.....

But what we are seeing is only the confirmation of what we know is happening in this world, and will happen even more progressively.......because we know "what time it is", on the scene of the "world's stage"...

But as it is written in Dan. 11:10 "...Go your way (Daniel), for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. Many shall be purified, made white and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly, and none of the wicked shall understand., but wise SHALL understand."

June 2, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • Adelina

@My-, if you don't plan for one person, it's not love but lust. Abstinence is a lot more healther than sleeping around spiritually, psychologically and physically. My-, you always end up with immorality without Christian morality, I told you before. @Prism, thank you very much. In saying our"needs," I meant something broader than the physical issue here.

June 3, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  19. Reality

The Hammer for the topic:

The dangers of casual/hookup or non-casual se-x/marriage if you do not practice safe s-ex: PREGNANCIES/ ABORTIONS AND/OR ST-Ds

For those who partake some statistics of epidemic proportions:

from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (S-TDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psychological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with S-TDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from: http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/20/yes-o-ral-se-x-is-se-x-and-it-can-boost-cancer-risk/?npt=NP1

"Yes, o-ral se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens: O-ral se-x carries many of the same risks as v-a-ginal s-ex, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of o-ral cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 'se-x.'"

And this: "CON-TRACEPTIVE METHOD CHOICE (Guttmacher Insti-tute data)

Cont-raceptive method use among U.S. women who practice con-traception, 2002

Method........ No. of users (in 000s)........ % of users
    Pill ..................11,661 .................. 30.6
    Male condom ...6,841................... 18.0 "

i.e.
    The pill fails to protect women 8.7% during the first year of use (

i.e. 0.087 (failure rate)
    x 62 million (# child bearing women)
    x 0.62 ( % of these women using contraception )
    x 0.306 ( % of these using the pill) =

1,020,000 unplanned pregnancies
    during the first year of pill use.

(And the abortion rate in the US is? 1,000,000/year)

For male condoms (failure rate of 17.4 and 18% use level)

1,200,000 unplanned pregnancies during the first year of male condom use.

The Gut-tmacher Inst-itute notes also that the perfect use of the pill should result in a 0.3% failure rate
    (35,000 unplanned pregnancies) and for the male condom, a 2% failure rate (138,000 unplanned pregnancies).

o Conclusion: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male con-dom have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or con-doms properly and/or use other safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.

June 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • myweightinwords

How many times are you going to repeat this?

June 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Reality

Reiteration is one of the top learning tools!!!

June 3, 2011 at 9:20 am |
  20. Amanda

People are ignorant of the facts....some people see the word "Christian" and the science is completely overlooked and labelled "irrelevant." Give me a break! People just want to excuse their sin so they can continue in it. It is not until they are ready to reach out to God, that they will see sin for what it truly is. God gave us guidelines to protect us (as the article proves).He did this because He loves us. He also died for our sin on the cross, and overcame death for the same reason: His unfailing love for humanity....even while we were still lost in our sin, Christ died for us.

June 1, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
    • Adelina

Heartful Amen.

June 2, 2011 at 2:00 am |
    • Jon

Why don't you just admit that the science doesn't matter to you, except that you are able to misrepresent and twist it to "support" your "faith"?

June 2, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • myweightinwords

The word "facts" implies that something is proven. From what I read in the piece, nothing was proven.

In fact, the fact that the author's premise does not hold true for even one person means that it is not a fact, but a theory.

June 2, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Joe

No. Just...no.

I'm tired of people using the word "theory" incorrectly. If it had been tested and proven many times, it would be a theory. Since it's just her guessing, it's a hypothesis.

June 2, 2011 at 1:56 pm |