home
RSS
June 13th, 2011

At debate, Republican candidates spar over Islam

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - There weren’t too many sharp differences among the Republican presidential candidates in Monday night’s New Hampshire debate, but a crack did emerge over how Islam and Muslims ought to be treated in the United States.

The CNN debate opened with discussions on economic issues, but later veered toward faith-based matters like the role of religion in candidates’ decision making, abortion, gay marriage – and how the United States ought to treat Muslims living within its borders.

The exchange on that issue opened with a question to former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain, who had said previously that he wouldn’t feel comfortable appointing a Muslim to his presidential Cabinet.

“I would not be comfortable because you have peaceful Muslims and then you have militant Muslims – those that are trying to kill us,” Cain said at Monday night’s debate. “And so when I said I wouldn’t be comfortable, I was thinking about the ones who are trying to kill us.”

Cain went further, addressing the prospect of Sharia, or Muslim law, being applied in the United States, which some conservatives say constitutes a growing threat to the American legal system.

“I don’t believe in Sharia law in American courts,” Cain said Monday. “I believe in American laws in American courts, period.”

“There have been instances in New Jersey, there was an instance in Oklahoma , where Muslims did try to influence court decisions with Sharia law,” he continued. “I was simply saying, very emphatically, American laws in American courts.”

Cain also said he would ask Muslims seeking jobs in his administration “certain questions … to make sure that we have people committed to the Constitution.”

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who spoke next, appeared to brush aside Cain’s concerns about Sharia and his suspicions of American Muslims.

“Of course, we're not going to have Sharia law applied in U.S. courts. That's never going to happen,” Romney said. "We have a Constitution and we follow the law.”

Romney then appeared to defend American Muslims, even if he didn’t mention them specifically.

“We recognize that people of all faiths are welcome in this country,” he said. “Our nation was founded on a principle of religious tolerance. That's in fact why some of the earliest patriots came to this country and why we treat people with respect, regardless of their religious persuasion.”

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich quickly jumped in to push back on Romney, siding more with Cain over the issue of Islam. Gingrich invoked Faisal Shahzad, the so-called Times Square bomber of 2010, who is a U.S. citizen from Pakistan.

“Now, I just want to go out on a limb here,” Gingrich said. “I'm in favor of saying to people, 'If you're not prepared to be loyal to the United States, you will not serve in my administration, period. '”

“We did this in dealing with the Nazis and we did this in dealing with the communists,” Gingrich continued. “And it was controversial both times, and both times we discovered after a while, there are some genuinely bad people who would like to infiltrate our country. And we have got to have the guts to stand up and say no.”

Cain’s and Gingrich’s comments on American Muslims supplied some of the night’s biggest applause lines.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Herman Cain • Islam • Mitt Romney • Newt Gingrich • Politics

1. FairGarden

Mr. Romney is wrong along with most Americans because America should educate all to respect God in the Bible way. Individuals will have freedom and choice but the nation should be encouraged to be godly, not amoral. When government aims moral neutrality, the nation becomes another villain as we are seeing in today's America.

June 14, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  2. Grinunbarrett

I hear folks all the time make the statements that folks who believe in God are weak minded simpletons. Yet their argument is as weak minded as those whom they disagree with. They must continue preaching to themselves that God doesn't exist in order to pacify their conscience as they live in opposition to the common sense that our Maker has bestowed upon his children when he created each of us in his image after his likeness. I do feel for them because I have been there and know where they are at. The strongest individuals I have known in my life know that God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ live and rule the universe.

June 14, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • John Richardson

if you just keep saying that, maybe one day you'll actually believe it, which would be a shame, since it is false.

June 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • The Mildly Angry Kittens from Beyond Hell Move to Winnemucca

Okay, if God created atheists in his own likeness, does that mean he doesn't believe he exists? And if he created gay-s and lesbians in his own likeness, does that mean he is part ga-y? And if he created all these sinners, than how can they be guilty of anything when he made set them up to sin anyway?

June 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • BullBuster

"I have been there and know where they are at." BULLSH!T ! ! ! What an obvious lie. You are a bald-faced liar, Grinunbarret. You are just another lying Christian who pretends he endured the terrible dark existence of an atheist but was saved by Jesus. I bet that sounds great in Bible study class, but every non-religious person on this board knows you for the liar you are.

June 14, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • BG

@ Grinunbarrett

I say believe what you want. Live according to whatever are the prescribed rules, standards, mores, biblical verses, etc.. that give you the strength, peace and guidance to get through your life, understanding that it works for you, but may not be the answer for others.

For complete peace of mind I suggest that you Ignore the sanctimonious, self-righteous and narcissistic taunts and disparaging insults from the likes of atheist antagonists like Richards, HotAirAce and their ilk. The truth you find in your belief is a threat to them; their truth serves only to denigrate you in an effort to sanitize and sterilize any of the effects of your belief.

June 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Ah yes, typical BG foaming at the mouth, demonstrating his fantastic debating ability...

When you can't defeat the others' arguments, attack the person...

June 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • BG

@ HAA

Silly boy. It's not a debate; it never has been. A debate infers one side actually being right over the other. It's more like an argument, the kind between dysfunctional spouses, or bar talk about who is more attractive at 2 am. (for your sake I'm being gender neutral, hope you appreciate it... )

It's the dichotomy of religion vrs. science. The two are so opposed that no concordance can ever be reached. You're smart enough to know that, but arguing is fun nonetheless. When you talk about "debating ability" and "defeating arguments" you know that both skills are not required, and are indeed moot, to any actual 'discussion' of the validity of religion. You -are- aware of this, right?

Or, do you -really- think that this "debate" (funny way to put it) can actually be 'won' by anyone? Cripe, I hope for your sake that's not the case. That'd mean that you actually are a fool.

June 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • I Can't Believe I am Wasting My Time Trying to Enlighten the Willfully Ignorant

BG, ignoring your characteristic childishness and abusiveness for a moment, let me point out that if a God exists, then God and science and nature must be in perfect harmony. The fact that science and religion are not in harmony is strong evidence that religion is wrong, even if a God does exist. Nature is what it is – the fact that it disagrees with theology should cause religious people to question their religion. It does not. It causes religious people to vainly attempt to fight science.

Science is not the opponent of religion: it purely seeks to understand and explain observable phenomenon. Religion became the opponent of science when those observations contradicted various parts of religion assertions. Science is NOT a conspiracy against religion.

Let me say it again: Nature cannot be at odds with God is a God exists. If man observes nature and finds things that disagree with religious texts/believes, then the texts and beliefs are wrong. Blaming the people who find it is obviously absurd.

June 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • Toreador

Only someone like BG, who loses every argument and debate, would be so adamant in saying that nobody argues or debates these things if they are smart.
      Yet he never quite manages to understand how obviously wrong he is. The hallmark of religious "thought" used as a club to beat off the truths that assail him and his ilk at every turn regardless of whether they asked for it or not.

BG, your graceless fumbling over half-understood theological points just makes the hole you are digging deeper.
      You've been around long enough to know better, too. No religious person has ever proven their god to exist, nor has anyone been able to prove their religion to be factual or sane.
      You are on the losing side. Saying it's all moot is just a cop-out. Come over to the bright side. We won long ago. You are just refusing to face the truth.

June 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • BG

@ Dude

I don't remember ever having entered into any 'debates' on the topic. I couldn't 'prove' God exists any more than I could prove that you're a caring, compassionate or empathetic human being.

Once again, believe what you want, but in your case I'm certain that your 'arrogance' (is that what you were going for tonight?) keeps you warm at night. How wonderful for you, Dude. Troll on – all nice and snugly.

Night now – Sleep tight. Or does CNN have you on the late shift again? Yeah, I know... you're not an employee. But given your 'contributions' to the blog they should at least have you on a personal services contract. Make 'em pay, Dude. You're worth your weight, well, at least in aggravation. You are dedicated, I'll give you that.

Say hi to Peace for me. Tell 'em I treated you nicely, but you were an ass anyway. I need to finish my reno work.

June 15, 2011 at 12:50 am |
    • HotAirAce

@BG

While I do understand that many people will not be swayed by the debates, arguments, conversation, pick your word, in here, I believe that the conversations can be somewhat polite with resorting to nastiness. But it would appear that is not your style so...

Phuck off you stupid brain dead as-shole!! :^))

June 15, 2011 at 1:18 am |
    • BG

@ HotAirAce

So, those Rosetta Stone English lessons are working out for you then... good for you. Stick with it.

----------–
      Since I've been on this blog I've always said.. you get what you give.

BG – out.

June 15, 2011 at 1:53 am |
    • Speaking

You know, they've been saying stuff like "kids are so terrible these days!" for thousands of years.
      But do you know how it happens? Do you ever think about stuff like that?
      BG, your posts are often worse than Adelina's.
      You aren't expressing yourself well at all and I think most of us notice it.
      Self-awareness is the touchstone of critical thinking, the basis for self-improvement.
      If you aren't going to improve, what makes you think we're going to descend to your level?
      I recommend you find something that makes you feel good and do it. Relax.
      Your paranoid fantasies are just fantasies of ignorant fear. Everyone is not out to get you.
      Peace

June 15, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  3. Muneef

Not clear for me whether the war is against the whole Nations of Islam or Against a particular Nation or Race??
    but as per the posted YouTubes is speaks that it is against Islam in all World Nations for Islam being not only a religion but system of life that has to be honored, towards which west being Secular are reluctant to have two systems in the one country as officially recognized....!!??

But wonder still if China Town has it's own culture rules and regulations systemizing it although under the One Secular System...?? Maybe Muslims as an Islamic Nation or as many Islamic Race&Culture Nations should be given some thing like that of China Town for each to prove their qualities exposed rather than total mixture and when blamed is blamed on all rather than on that certain groups or races for their Hostilities and or Ignorance...
    Take the world as Continents each Continent culture,traditions has similarities that enable them to live together in harmony rather than force mix under the integration project scheme, after all they say;

"""Birds of a feather flock together"""
    Meaning;
    something that you say which means people who have similar characters or similar interests will often choose to spend time together.
    Similar people tend to associate with each other.
    Those of similar taste congregate in groups.

June 14, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • John Richardson

Some people, especially but not exclusively on the right, are clearly against all Islam. But lots and lots of people, including lots of Republicans I quickly add lest we equate the whole party with noodleheads like Newt, reject that. But this is why a secular society is so important. All religions and philosophies must be tolerated. None must be allowed to rule.

June 14, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  4. Student of World Religion

Is Islam compatible with democracy? Islamic law is absolutely incompatible with democracy. It is a theocratic system with Allah alone at its head. Allah's law is interpreted by a ruling body of clerics. There is no room for a secular political system in which all people are treated as equals.

June 14, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  5. Marie Kidman

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]

June 14, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  6. JohnQuest

If any of you think for a moment that I am anti America, I dare you to put your military service record against mine (or my wife and children all of which have served or currently serving).

June 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Stevie7

It seems that many people who claim to be "true" Americans or "patriots" are bigots trying to justify their hatred. Thanks to you and your family for your service.

June 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Headless Chocolate Rabbit Hanging on a Cross with splinters in his...

Who were you responding to?

June 14, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Stevie7, Thank You. We do live in a great country (despite all the eggheads and the things we did wrong as a country). I was and still am proud to serve.

June 14, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  7. Stevie7

These republicans would make both McCarthy and Machiavelli proud!

June 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  8. A. S. David

I love how the Christian right will list anything and everything to justify their hate of Muslims... (not quite Christ like behavior, might I add) but these same people ignore their own faith's violence against others and across denominational boundaries. Let us not forget the Muslims didn't start WWI or WWII or the Korean War, or the Vietnam war... or did they wipe out huge numbers of Native Americans from North America, Central America or South America. Nor did they wipe out the Indigeous peoples of Australia or imprison those that survived on "reservations". Nor did the Muslims cause the Genocide in Rwanda or the Bosnia genocide or the conflict that took thousands of lives in Ireland. Those were all Christians. Muslims also make up the majority of refugees from countries where they were the minority.... not the majority. Palestinian Jews, Christians and Muslims all got along before EUROPEANS came into the Holy Lands with their own colonialist agendas. So lets get off the high horse of "righteousness".... Death and mayham in the name of religion wasn't invented by Muslims and it sure hasn't been non-existant in the Christian world! America, which is not dominated by Muslims has had its share of violence, both formal wars and informal "domestic terrorism" at the hands of non-Muslims. Oklahoma City bombing was done by a Christian.

June 14, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • ThinkAgain

Well said! And don't forget the KKK and all the White Supremacist groups out there, which all claim to be "Christian."

June 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • JohnQuest

A. S. David, you make sound points, I fear the Christians (and everybody else for that matter) will just redefine terrorism to exclude themselves.

June 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • UhHuh

Oh yes, of course, and let's not forget the Byzantine–Arab Wars, Conquest of Persia and Iraq, Conquest of Transoxiana, Conquest of Sindh, Conquest of Hispania and Septimania, Conquest of the Caucasus, the Umayyad conquests, Conquest of Nubia, Incursions into southern Italy, Conquest of Anatolia, and the Byzantine-Ottoman Wars......

June 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • UhHuh

The conquest of Syria, The conquest of Armenia, The conquest of Egypt, The conquest of North Africa, The conquest of Cyprus, The conquest of North Africa, The first Arab siege of Constantinople, The second Arab siege of Constantinople, Conquest of Hispania, The conquest of Georgia, The conquest of Crete, The conquest of southern Italy...

June 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • John Richardson

@UhHuh No one is forgetting any of that! Just not forgetting other things, either, eh?

June 14, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  9. JohnQuest

June 14, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

"JohnQuest

How selective of them to forget (ignore) the fact that 99% of all terrorist acts on US soil were committed my Christians."

I can only assume you meant "by" christians and not "my" christians, secondly where did you get this percentage and where are some instances of this? It would seem to me that you have attached a name to someone or they have called themselves something and then done something that is contrary to the belief that they profess...thus if they committed "terrorist acts" they were not christians. In the same way there are many people that call themselves muslim who do not follow what the koran says, they are not muslim...

June 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Stevie7

I think that if you eliminate people from the club that don't follow what you feel are the rules of the club – you'll end up with a pretty empty clubhouse. Where do you draw the line?

June 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Okay maybe I exaggerated It is closer to 97%

June 14, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Lycidas

Lol...yeah, that site has unbiased, fair and truthful written all over it.

June 14, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Stevie7

The site may be biased, but are FBI statistics? http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005/terror02_05. The information reported on JohnQuest's website is listed at the bottom of the page.

June 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • step

That site, loonwatch.com, got its statistics from FBI data.

June 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  10. Shahrazad

Applause, applause... the ambitious ignorant leading the fearful ignorant with patriarchal, racist, imperialist lies.
    Oh! GOP politics as usual. My bad.

June 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  11. Christine

I agree with Herman Cain. I am sick of political correctness.

June 14, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • ThinkAgain

Being able to not judge a whole group of people (1.6 BILLION worldwide) by the actions of a few is not "political correctness;" it's called HAVING A BRAIN.

June 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  12. Reality

Once again, what instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-driven acts of terror and horror? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means.

Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Until then, no Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere ..................................

June 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

There is nothing obvious in what you stated except your loathing for those of a faith.

June 14, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Reality

And the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

June 14, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • ThinkAgain

Pop quiz: What do all of these have in common?

1. Inquisition
      2. KKK lynchings
      3. Oklahoma City bombing
      4. Forced conversion
      5. Genocide of Native Americans
      6. Northern Ireland "troubles"
      7. Conquest/genocide of Latin America

The list goes on and on and on of CHRISTIAN ATROCITIES!

Get it through your THICK HEAD that it's not the faith, it's the PEOPLE who mess things up. Which is why there are good Muslims and bad Muslims; good Christians and bad Christians; good people and bad people of EVERY FAITH.

June 14, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Thank you Reality....you just proved my point.

June 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Reality

More reasons why no Muslim can be trusted:

o More on the koranic passages and world domination:

"Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.
      In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.
      Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?
      A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!” D. Richardson

June 14, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Reality

Think Again,

Some history:

The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:

o The Muslim Conquest of India

Rank <<<Death Toll <Cause <<Centuries<<<Religions/Groups involved*

1. 63 million Second World War 20C (Christians et al and Communists/atheists vs. Christians et al, Nazi-Pagan and "Shintoists")

2. 40 million Mao Zedong (mostly famine) 20C (Communism)

3. 40 million Genghis Khan 13C (Shamanism or Tengriism)

4. 27 million British India (mostly famine) 19C (Anglican)

5. 25 million Fall of the Ming Dynasty 17C (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese folk religion)

6. 20 million Taiping Rebellion 19C ( Confucianism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion vs. a form of Christianity)

7. 20 million Joseph Stalin 20C (Communism)

8. 19 million Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C (Islam)

9. 17 million Timur Lenk 14C-15C

10. 16 million Atlantic Slave Trade 15C-19C (Christianity)

11. 15 million First World War 20C (Christians vs. Christians)

12. 15 million Conquest of the Americas 15C-19C (Christians vs. Pagans)

13. 13 million Muslim Conquest of India 11C-18C

14. 10 million An Lushan Revolt 8C

15. 10 million Xin Dynasty 1C

16. 9 million Russian Civil War 20C (Christians vs Communists)

17. 8 million Fall of Rome 5C (Pagans vs. Pagans)

18. 8 million Congo Free State 19C-20C (Christians)

19. 7½ million Thirty Years War 17C (Christians vs Christians)

20. 7½ million Fall of the Yuan Dynasty 14C

*:" Is religion responsible for more violent deaths than any other cause?

A: No, of course not – unless you define religion so broadly as to be meaningless. Just take the four deadliest events of the 20th Century – Two World Wars, Red China and the Soviet Union – no religious motivation there, unless you consider every belief system to be a religion."

Q: So, what you're saying is that religion has never killed anyone.

A: Arrgh... You all-or-nothing people drive me crazy. There are many doc-umented examples where members of one religion try to exterminate the members of another religion. Causation is always complex, but if the only difference between two warring groups is religion, then that certainly sounds like a religious conflict to me. Is it the number one cause of mass homicide in human history? No. Of the 22 worst episodes of mass killing, maybe four were primarily religious. Is that a lot? Well, it's more than the number of wars fought over soccer, or s-ex (The Trojan and Sabine Wars don't even make the list.), but less than the number fought over land, money, glory or prestige.

In my Index, I list 41 religious conflicts compared with 27 oppressions under "Communism", 24 under Colonialism, 2 under "Railroads" and 2 under "Scapegoats". Make of that what you will."

June 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  13. David

This is plain bigotry. Why do we insist on putting up with this garbage as Americans? We are better than this. Muslims are fully integrated and an important part of our nation. They fought in the Revolutionary War (you didn't know that?), shoulder to shoulder with us for freedom. The first country to recognize the US was Morocco, a Muslim land. I love my Muslims friends. Enough of this, it's turning me off from what I agree with on the Republican platform.

June 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  14. OOoooo ooooOO

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHwATEWqslw&w=640&h=390]

June 14, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Archie

Thank you. Nobody makes the point better than the countless, innumerable imams around the world who continuously remind us how absolutely barbaric this totalitarian "Religion of Peace" really is. Thank you again.

June 14, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
  15. OOoooo ooooOO

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_45IcWCvF5I&w=640&h=390]

June 14, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Archie

This video drives home all the important points in soundbite fashion. I encourage you to read more, however, as this just scratches the surface. Thanks again.

June 14, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  16. OOoooo ooooOO

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FHHZ-BOMuI&w=640&h=390]

June 14, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  17. Carol Wilson

Imagine, we still have to endure another 16 MONTHS of this kind of nonsense! And CNN will be there with microphones, podiums, and air time. I guess some people watch it.....kinda like they watch strange monkeys in a zoo. MSNBC is a good alternative.

June 14, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Frogist

@Carol: I might agree with you except these are people who are running for president. We need to be able to see who, and what they are. And quite frankly the more chances people get to see the bigoted nature of a candidate, the more likely people won't vote for him/her, I hope.

June 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  18. xyz

In the Gospel it says people will come to Jesus and say "lord we cast out demons in your name......" and jesus will say " BE GONE I DO NOT KNOW YOU". Mike that is YOU.

June 14, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  19. xyz

@Mike Thank goodness for people like you to be saving sinners like us. But before you do that, please also pray for all your paedophile priests, Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Barker, and countless others.

June 14, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  20. Mike

Dear xyz and Jasociety,
    I will include you on my prayer list that you may one day (soon I pray) confess your sins and accept The Lord Thy God, Jesus Christ, as your Lord and Savior.

June 14, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • One Eared Puppy on Crack doing the Moonwalk Sideways

Mike, no offense but I will not be praying to a schizophrenic or pathetic excuse for a god that cannot manage his own heaven.

June 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Jasociety

Mike my father is a minister and I grew up in the church and left the church because the Bible is inconsistent and archaic. Please don't bother praying for me because, I have heard every argument for christ under the sun and have found no factual data that would lead me to believe in the existence of "A GOD", "THEE GOD" or any other variation there in. Religion is for the weak minded and weak willed that cannot accept responsibility for their actions without the fear of repurcussion in the afterlife. I even had one Christian tell me that had they not believed in "Christ" that they would commit unspeakable acts and that it was the belief in "Christ" that kept them from doing so. Whereas, I (an aetheist) do not do wrong because it is plain and simply me taking responsibility for my actions and the here and now and knowing that doing ill to others or myself is just plain counter-productive to the vision I have for my future and the future of this world.

June 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Doesn't matter

@One eared...et al...

You say no offense and then follow with an obviously offensive statement...no offense, but perhaps you should think before you speak...

@Jasociety

You say you don't do wrong because...and go on about some nonsense about taking responsibilty for you actions...the problem with your statement is who decides what is wrong and right? Do you? Are you the authoritative voice on what is right and wrong? With no standard you are as lost as everyone else...and just as blind. Hopefully one day you will realize the Truth...

June 14, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Stevie7

One does not need a god, or gods, to be moral. Society decides what is wrong and right, as does evolution (although society could easily be seen as a product of evolution). We are ingrained to know wrong from right because it was necessary to the health and survival of our species. We are taught particulars through our upbringing. Religion played a necessarily role in this development because, as studies have shown, people behave better if they think someone is watching. Our modern day justice system now fulfills this role.

Certainly the abrahamic god could not be considered moral by our standards. Who decides to kill all life on earth with the exception of a handful of people or animals for a mulligan? Is stoning a disobedient child, or having slaves, moral?

June 14, 2011 at 3:22 pm |