home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Mesfin

It is too many chemical inhalation and the result is this !!!LOL . We live in the 21st century and still hear such cavewoman thoughts?

June 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  2. Melissa

Wow, this lying uneducated twit of a chicken quitting governor actually has something good to say. I'm shocked.

June 16, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • George Banta

Interesting to note the comparison of this caring mother, resigning her governorship under fire from litigious haters, to today's spectacle of a self centered sick freak resigning under humiliation.

June 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Drew Williams

She quit because she got bored and the heat was getting a little too hot, unlike Weiner who quit because he was pressured to. Which one is the lazy freeloader again?

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  3. Blasphemy

It's funny. This is blatant blasphemy, but the far right will champion it as a good thing. Well, the far right and all those idiotic mothers out there that let this tug at their heart strings.

All the warm and fuzzy feelings could have still been acheived without speaking on behalf of "The Creator." And some people seriously want her to run the country? I weep for the future.

June 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Palentine

Agreed America doesn't need damaged goods runnings it country.

June 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Drew Williams

Do you realize how many fully grown adults in this nation wear pink Mickey Mouse sweatshirts? And there's your answer.

June 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  4. Montana

What a nice letter. It looks like she's a great mom. 'd bet that Obama is a good dad. I wouldn't vote for her against Obummer though unless I had no other choice available to me. She is a quitter and unqualified. Obama is unqualified; Bush was unqualified. Do we need to make the mistake 3 times?

It's really sickening that her private emails have been posted to the web for all to see. You all in the media make me sick. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

June 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Stanleyrw

Email isn't private...

June 16, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • humanbean

Hey fruitcake. They're not private emails. They were emails she sent from her PUBLIC email address while serving as governor of Alaska. People like you who define lack of intelligence and can't understand the difference are the ones who make me sick.

June 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  5. freetime1

God was right this time, because her son is far from perfect.... That is if there was a god, but there is not. The people that don't get that are as dumb as her son is.

June 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • vikesfanfrom74

"That is if there was a god, but there is not. The people that don't get that are as dumb as her son is." Yep, they are almost as ignorant as you are.

June 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  6. Dubben

I have no issue with her invoking God to profess her love for her child. I take issue when she invokes God at the expense of science and the good of the country, as she often does.

June 16, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  7. Mike

Noy buying her garbage. Go away Palin.

June 16, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  8. Appalled

But do you realize that she wrote this TEN DAYS before her water broke. So how did she know that the so-called baby would be born early? And healthy? Who writes this kind of thing at that time in your pregnancy when your greatest fear is that your child will be born stillborn? Not buying it for one minute. She's a complete fraud.

Still worse is that the name came from the birth defect: Trisonomy G. TriG. Absolutely makes me sick.

June 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  9. 12-21-12

This seals the deal for me...I'm votin for Palin.

June 16, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Palentine

I going to have invoke the seperation of church and state rule here and not look further at this obtuse white trash idiot. Please run Sarah the republicans need you to help them fail and SNL ratings are down on NBC.....:-)

June 16, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Jess

If whack jobs pretending to be God is what gives you your jollies, by all means give her your vote.

June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  10. hank

Let me get this straight. The letter is from God. But she wrote it after he somehow communicated it to her. And we think this is beautiful?.. Sounds like you believe that God is giving dictation for Sarah? That does not bother you that she should say this?? I do not believe God talks to Sarah!!!

June 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • humanbean

Well he supposedly gave dictation to man in order to produce the bible didn't he. I don't see how this is any different.

June 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Jess

How is it different? It's being given to Sarah freakin Palin. That's how.

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • 12-21-12

although I could not care less about Ms Palin as a personality, I wish no evil on her. However, God speaks to all of us...we just choose to ignore it. God even spoke to Satan, and he chose to ignore it too! That's why Satan is god of this world! It's why evil inhabits the most beautiful planet in this and all the billions of galaxies in existence!

June 16, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  11. Molly

This woman is nothing but a hypocrite. Where is Trig? He hasn't been seen for months. Why wasn't he on the family vacation. His absence has become very noticeable!

June 16, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Artist

Perhaps we do not see Trig with her because he is not hers????????

June 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Molly

I know he is not hers! The poor little mite served his purpose on the campaign and on her bus tour, and now he has been discarded.

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  12. gah

Not surprisingly, this article brought out the hateful loons, but not nearly as many as usual. Maybe there is hope that the number of loons is decreasing.

June 16, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  13. unnamed

well, that seals the deal for me. shes a certified lunatic.

June 16, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  14. PampastheHutt

The press salivating all over hundreds of pounds of e-mails, and what do they find? ....well, haven't figured that out yet.
    Get over it, press – these e-mails just show a person getting on with her job.
    And I'm TOTALLY against the GfOxP and their trashing of the American economy.

June 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  15. wendy

What seems a bit off about this letter is that its writer seemed to know in advance that this baby was going to be born several weeks early. How exactly does that fit in with taking a long-distance airplane trip and making the decision to give birth at her local hospital with no special services for premature and/or high risk deliveries?

June 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  16. 2tired2care

Wow Sarah, maybe think about that in regards to gay people and their desire to marry.

June 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  17. nick

NUT JOB. THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO ME AS I READ THIS STORY...

June 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Artist

Nut Job???? As in getting teabagged???????

June 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Artist

Speaking of teabagging...I might have to do a pop art piece with well you know who with you know what ontop of their head. lol

June 16, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  18. Scott

On one hand, Palin is suggesting we question our existing notions of perfection. I applaud this suggestion. However, this in no way requires assuming the existence of an all powerful, invisible being behind the curtain, pulling strings toward some mysterious goal to do so.

June 16, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  19. Sharon

Her email letter to family/friends was inspired from or by our Creator and expresses a divinely wise depth of character. Very moving and uplifting.

June 16, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Peace2All

Hi Sharon...

In my opinion, the same letter with the hopes, world-views and sentiments could have been written without attributing it to God.

Many people often write letters with the same beliefs, hopes, and reframes.

Doesn't *mean* that she 'channeled' God directly.

Regards,

Peace...

June 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Artist

Jesus, go pick some more flowers with the butterflies around you. lol. Sarah f up and is doing her best to cope with her mistake. lol

June 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  20. Artist

Okay so they just continued the discussion.
    I have concerns that she thinks she is God and types an e-mail like God is talking to her???
    Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
    As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
    • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
    • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

June 16, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Artist

Hey bud...

So, being that we are both atheists, this gives us an interesting perspective to comment on this...IMO.

You said: "she thinks she (is) God." In my opinion, I think I may respectfully disagree with you on that statement, with the caveat of 'who really knows' etc...

But for discussion sake here's my thinking. Since Palin is an evangelical christian, for them to "think that they (are) God" is heresy and blasphemy within the context of their particular faith.

So, given that... I don't believe that Palin actually 'thinks' or 'believes' she (is) God, yes...?

Again, IMO, my take on her writing this in the 3rd person from God, was a wish list or exercise for her emotional and mental security for the upcoming situation she was to face.

*(Laughing)... I'm realizing that I am commenting on something Sarah Palin said, which for me means I need to step away from the blog for awhile.

Anyway, I hope that you are well, -Artist. Really like your postings.

Peace brother...

June 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Artist

Actually, I am agnostic. Its a big universe and who is to say what is or isn't in it more advanced than us. And who knows might have created us. Whatever the truth might be it really doesn't mater and has no impact on my life and goals. Life is too short to believe men's mythical writings or sweat the small $%*^&*(.
      As for Sarah, I think she is trying to deal with her mistake and making a positive out of it. I kind of feel sorry for her...she failed as a mother with her daughter....she failed at VP.....she quit her elected job in Alaska and failed the people of Alaska...but she turned a bad into a positive by getting paid good money to talk. Her daughter is making money off her mistake and failure to keep her legs closed on TV. I supsect financial wise they will be successful...personal goals etc...they have failed pretty bad.

June 16, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Artist

Yes, technically I'm 'agnostic' as well. I was just commenting on your thoughts in relationship to her that she "thinks" she (is) God, which would obviously fly in the face of evangelical doctrine and dogma.

Just an observation.

As for your other thoughts... pretty much agree.

Take care pal.

Peace...

June 16, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Chas in Iowa

I think it falls more along the lines of: "she is so enlightened that she can surely speak for God."

June 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |