home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. John

There is no such thing as God. Religion is a joke, the sooner people realize this the better off they all will be.

June 16, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  2. anobody

America needs a problem solver not a trouble maker. Palin = Kook and quitter and nothing besides.

June 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  3. TheRev

2 points for Sarah P....

June 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  4. rhumba

It's unfortunate that Mrs. Palin chose to express such personal and heartfelt feelings on her state email account. If she had sent the same email to her friends and family from her personal account to their personal accounts, then we wouldn't be sitting at the computer right now judging her. It's almost like she's trying to get attacked by what she calls the "lamestream media." She could have avoided all kinds of criticism over the years by just using better judgment and by keeping her family out of the spotlight.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  5. Kevin B

Does anyone really think these are "all" her emails? You don't think they were "scrubbed" before being published?

June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  6. Tom

Not one to weigh in on blogs often but here goes – I too am not a big fan of Sarah Palin as a political figure, but anyone who cannot see the tenderness and beauty of her email from God has obviously never had to deal with the unique heartbreak and potential joy of a special needs child – I don't want her as my president, but I'm glad for Trig that he has such a mom. Good Job Sarah!

June 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Chad

I would see tenderness in it if it was an email only to her husband, but it looks crazy because she sent it to so many people, albeit family members. I can't stand mass emails, and would get them every day from my crazy mother in law about god & spirituality, cats, stupid youtube videos, etc., before I blocked her. Anyways, Sarah Palin is a nut, of the self important, vindictive kind.

June 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Tom? What evidence do you have that Trig is being cared for by "loving" mom Sarah? As far as I can see, she's rarely home, rarely with him, and neither is his father. They are constantly photographed and filmed on the road, without the little guy. And when she is home, she seems to be "preoccupied"... Who cares for the little person God sent to her?

June 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  7. Greg s

Ok,
    When do the conservatives get to go through Obamas Emails?

June 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • CDSJr

What does Obama have to do with this?

June 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  8. sammee

Hey where's the Joy Behar "I would commit perjury" story? Oh I know don't print liberals idiotic comments. She should be locked up and the key thrown away. Lay off Sarah and focus on the liberal nuts for a change.

June 16, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Felicitations

I watched that episode of Joy Behar's show and I couldn't believe she was saying she would commit perjury. Even more interesting is the total absence of criticism.

June 16, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Chad

Joy Behar is a moron too, but its not because she's liberal – that's the one endearing quality about her.

June 16, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  9. Sweet

All of you people criticizing Palin over this "email from god" should be ashamed of yourselves. Whether you do or do not agree with her politics you should atleast respect her strength for being able to raise a developmentally disabled child. You are allowed to criticize her over her politics but definitely not over this! Shame on all of you for your distasteful comments. And by the way, if you are so sick of hearing about Sarah Palin...STOP READING THE ARTICLES WITH HER NAME ON THEM!

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Blasphemy

You people supporting a blatant blasphemer should follow Sarah P to hell. I spit on your lack of perspective, you simpleton.

June 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  10. Gilbert from Brownsville

@Ariel, I believe in God. What I don't believe is Palin speaking as the voice of God.

June 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  11. Kevin B

It's one thing to write a letter "to" God. But to pen a letter assuming to be the voice and wisdom and will of God, thanks just maniacal.

June 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • i wonder

Pretty much how the Bible got written?

June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • i wonder

... and the Koran and the Book of Mormon and all which claim to be the 'words of a god'.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Well, Kev, I don't know much about the Koran. But the Bible was said to be written by men (some of whom knew Jesus) and they were supposedly "inspired" by God to write the various books of the Bible. (Surely you didn't think Sarah wrote it...) Over the centuries, many men have had their hand in "revising" and "interpretting" the Bible. To many, it is to be taken absolutely literally – but only in ways that they deem correct. To many others, it is a moral guide for living.

The Book of Mormon... Well, the story there is that Joseph Smith was given these golden plates by the Angel Moroni 1827 in Palmyra, NY and from them, Smith discerned the ancient writings that became "The Book of Mormon"... I know, it's far fetched. That's why I'm not a Mormon.

June 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  12. Normal American

Some people are so pathetic. Why can't you all just start acting in a civil, friendly manner to all people, unless they harm you of course. People making comments and stating their beliefs is great and why we live in this country. I think it's amazing that Mrs. Palin has done with her life. I think she has a tremendous amount of spark and she talks about issues we all care about. No I don't think she'd make a good president necessarily but she'd surely be better and more honest than those cheating democratic hipocrits. I mean really can't Weiner keep it in and why would he go to get input from Lewinski or no I mean smiley or whatever that president's name was Hilary. Now talk about a guy who should have stepped down. Doing it in the oval office, I bet the maids did't like to clean that up. Look at yourselves demo's.

June 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Kevin B

Dear NA,
      Sarah doesn't know what she's talking about most of the time. And if she were put in a position of power, perhaps as President, she'd be doing a great deal of harm to all of America. Just like George W did.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Well, Normal, it's like this. I cannot remember another politician in recent times who has acted and spoken in such a haughty, disrespectful, and divisive manner. Palin is constantly on the attack, and uses something called "victimization" to bring you, her faithful followers, along to help tell the world how abused she has been.

IF Palin were the Christian she touts herself to be, perhaps it would be good for her, and you, to heed Hebrews 13:17, which says: "Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you."

But, Palin's a rogue – maybe the Bible isn't one of those things she reads...

June 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  13. Cindy

NEXT!!!

June 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Elma

STOP ! Take a break and learn how too make $100 per day in autopilot.
      The URL is : bit (dot) ly/jmTNta
      ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

June 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  14. Ariel

Well God told me that everyone unique and different in his own way. So don't know which God talks to you but, my said to be perfect. Just not as we see perfection but, how he said was perfection. I don't blame God for my mistakes only the times I didn't listen to him were my mistakes. And if people don't want to belive in God thats COOL!!!!! Cause belive me it doesn't bother both of us one bit. You do what you want, Knock yourself out.

June 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Ariel, just out of curiosity – did God "tell you" this through a burning bush or were there gold plates involved?

I had an employee once who told me, with great sincerity, that "God told me to only work 3 days per week", not the five I was asking her to work, as per her contract. I had to tell her that God hadn't spoken to me personally lately, but if He did, I'd be sure to let him know why I had to let her go.

June 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  15. CDSJr

As a scientist, my philosophy on life and politics differ quit radically in many ways from Mrs Palin's. But, having followed her closely over the last several years, I have to say that I find her to be a sincere, loving, and honest person. She would never be my first choice as leader, but she would certainly be at the top of my list for neighbor, friend, or family.

June 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • John

I'm taking it from your comment that you're not a liberal, because she's illustrated more than once that she has no problem with placing them in her crosshairs.

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Rodo

Pay a little bit more attention. If you are truly a scientist, she stands in direct contrast to all you hold dear. Her church is looking for witches, ffs. This woman is an opportunist and a pseudo-Christian bottom-feeder. Choose your neighbors, family, friends, more carefully.

June 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • CDSJr

Obviously, we have all seen different things. Her talk is political. If she truly was anti-science and technology she would send runners with an inscribed parchment for her communication and ride horses from venue to venue. She says what she must to further her position. We all do this. She is no more guilty than any of us. We all have agendas. Her biggest fault is lack of preparation and assuming that what she knows is complete and up to date. I do not know of any one who has not shot their mouths off only to realize later that we did not know what we thought we did. What she needs to learn is that if their is any doubt, there is no doubt that your knowledge is either incorrect, out of date, or at least incomplete. She is as smart as many of the politicians we currently praise. She only lacks impulse control and needs to learn that her pride has and will push her to answer questions and say things she is not prepared to talk about.

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  16. Gilbert from Brownsville

OMG Sarah speaking in the voice of God.!!! How far can you take illusions of grandeur?? CNN please stop paying this excessive amount of attention to this lunatic woman or I will start getting my news somewhere else.

June 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Ariel

Bye!

June 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Felicitations

See ya.

June 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  17. JEANNE

She could have said all of that to her family without PRETENDING to be God. This woman has some serious problems.

June 16, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
    • Dee

Very insensitive comment. Why do you devalue Sarah to the point that you can't even realize she was dealing with the grief of not having a normal child? I think it's laudable, and so do the majority of people, that she chose to be positive about her situation.

June 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Jess

You can be positive without pretending to be God

June 16, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Lady

II agree, seems to me she's trying to buy the faithful in whatever way will benefit her...why can't she just use her own name and words....is this her Blood libel ooooh sorry I'm I using this meaning in a wrong way....really I don't buy it!

June 16, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Agreed, Jeanne. And Dee, what is SarahPAC paying you for your services here today?

June 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Felicitations

You acknowledge she had positive things to say. Just leave it at that. No need to whine.

June 16, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Kevin B

Exactly my thoughts. Why couldn't she just write a letter "to" God? What she did was to assume she knows the mind and will of God, that she is equal to God. Batsheet Crazy, That's what that is.

June 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  18. Descarado

30,000 e-mails and this is the best CNN, The New York Times and The Washington post could come up with? The media has been pounding on this woman and her family 24/7 for three years. It must bother you profoundly that she is still standing and still smiling.

June 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Descarado

Wonder what we would learn from Obama's e-mails as a community organizer?

June 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Felicitations

The media were hoping to find lots of dirt. They must be extremely disappointed.

June 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • TexAnne

Personally I thought there was plenty of other stuff in just the 50 or so pages I read that gave me pause about this woman's ability to serve in elective office. (And yes, there are plenty of others, from both parties, currently in elective offices that I also consider unqualified to serve.) In addition to not being the bightest bulb in the box, the woman is vindictive & unethical. She's an opportunist just looking to further her own monetary & media status. I don't think the lady gives a flip about whether she does a "good job"– just as long as she gets plenty of face time on TV or print coverage. I don't think she liked the job of Governor of Alaska– it was too much like work. But she really likes being a "celebrity". The very thought of her being in the Oval Office scares the bejeesus out of me, because I don't think she's got a sense God gave a blue jacka$$.

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Hwy 9

Descarado – first of all, Palin was given 3 years to produce her emails, which were heavily santized and redacted. Plenty of time to get rid of any and all unflattering, unethical, childish bs.

Second, we don't need to see the President's emails when he was a community organizaer (which, btw, is an HONORABLE profession, not something to be ashamed of, as Palin would have you believe). He was not an elected official then, and thus, not under ANY obligation to produce his private emails.

June 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  19. Normal American (aka Sarah Palin)

Sarah is on here posing as a "Normal American". Go Sarah go! No,really, please go.

June 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  20. netwkman

Nothing personal Sarah, if you're reading this but, you're no more qualified to run for president than I am!
    In fact, I'm probably more qualified than you! 🙂

Stay in Alaska please!

June 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Dee

I don't understand these blanket statements of 'qualification.' It's pitiful and reeks of either/or liberalism and chauvinism since you can't back up your statement.

June 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Ariel

Then why are you not running? Come on now you talk but, I don't see you up there.

June 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Felicitations

Yes, the happy face would definitely make people vote for YOU.

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |