home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. chuck

Using a retrded child for political gain-only a low for SP. SHE will stop at nothing to staythe media. Folks, she is NEVER home taking care of this child, NEVER.

June 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  2. eva

I love Sarah. She is beautiful inside and out. Our country would be in good hands with her as our POTUS

June 16, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • The LORD

The country would be in better hands with her retarded infant as the POTUS.

June 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • The LORD

I will agree, however, that Mrs. Palin is beautiful on the outside...so much so that I'm sure that I would enjoy her from the inside as well:)
      Sarah Palin is merely a "jiggle girl" for the radical, extremist element of this country.

June 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  3. AgentForest

While I find the message positive, I find the execution inappropriate. Let me explain. I have two special needs relatives, one who participated in the Special Olympics, so I know the value and importance of what was behind her words. I believe that if there is a god (or karma) that the trials and hardships of caring for a special needs child is a deliberate learning experience designed to teach Palin a lesson for how she treated others growing up. Luckily, the email helps prove she learned that lesson, and that's a good thing. The message behind her words was genuine and very well-said.

My issue with it? Well, it's blasphemy, lol. Plain and simple. Impersonating a deity??? Really? I'm not even a Christian and I would NEVER think to impersonate GOD to teach a child a lesson. Ask her preacher to explain it to her like that, tell the child herself saying that she talked it over with the preacher because it was bothering the kid and she wanted to get the answer from God or a man of God. Just don't say that YOU are God. It's arrogant, inappropriate, and to an impressionable child counts as brainwashing. At the very least she used it for a good message, but it is a messed up thing to do. She could have given the same message any other way. Just not with that signature...

June 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  4. dan young

ditto, gene brady... people are giving her far too much credit. she probably has a nanny taking care of her kid. if she really felt that way about perfection, why does she support a party that wants people who do not fit in their definition of perfect to be treated less than equal.

June 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  5. Lois Ford

The concept that Sarah Palin could complete a whole sentence intrigued me enough to begin to read the email in question. What drivel. She is the queen of bad grammar, incredible arrogance and stupidity at the same time – a very dangerous combination.

June 16, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  6. chuck

No one cares. PLEASE PLEASE, stop writing about this money monger. How much more clear can we be CNN???? PLEASE.

June 16, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  7. twalk

Palin is just playing to the christain base. Sad to use your down sydrome child and religion for votes.

June 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  8. wanda

whatever

June 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  9. Goddoesn'texist

God doesn't exist. And Sarah P is still an idiot. Even more so.

June 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

You don't exist either, at least based on the criteria ppl base existence on around here.

June 16, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  10. Nicole

Just found her crazier than ever.

June 16, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  11. Chad

I can't stand mass emails, and would get them every day from my crazy mother in law about god & spirituality, cats, stupid youtube videos, etc.

June 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  12. LAMB

She didn't originate the story, I have seen this before.

June 16, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  13. ass

who the hell cares, im so sick of hearing about this b**** she didnt win and the news morons keep her face on the news. shes a has been that needs to care for her family instead of ordering hits on people.

June 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  14. The LORD

This is exactly how the bible/koran/torah/etc was written....by ignorant, pathetic people who believe that they understand the nature and heart of god. This Palin seems to be pretty close to what many of you consider profits, and the sensible ones consider lunatics and charlatans.

June 16, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • Chad

Dear lord, O powerful, All knowing one:
      You spelled prophet wrong.

June 16, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • The LORD

Thank you, my child, for that astute observation. The spelling error, however, does not diminish the point that I made.

June 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  15. Joe Mahma

... sigh...

June 16, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  16. Skeptic

Can we just stop reporting everything Sarah Palin does? Please?

She has never said anything of value and is not even remotely deserving of news coverage.

June 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  17. Cowboy

Who cares how she wrote the letter? Its her life, child and freedom....I have a diary and at times I write in the first, second and third person or god like point of view. Really, is this news?

June 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  18. heather

I think this was a letter of strength and reassurance to a possibly worried family.

June 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  19. Tyler

Gob who?

June 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  20. Gene Brady

This letter didn't come from strength...... it came from the mind of a highschool twit that picked on anyone not up to her standards. SHE, more than anyone KNEW what was coming because SHE had done it to others. This was HER childish, highschool way of heading off the whispers. She is shallow and some of you give her far too much credit. She is a slug, not much more

June 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm |