home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Scott

By far the most thoughtful thing I have ever heard from Sarah Palin. I won't let my overall negative impression of her politically prejudice me against acknowledging some very moving comments.

June 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  2. Marie

Give me a break!

June 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  3. asgardshill

That was nothing – my technologically-challenged aunt pumps out tens of emails just like that one every single day. I think Sarah Palin is the lead East Coast distributor for nutzo, but all I can gin up on this issue is a big ol' meh.

June 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  4. DC

Weird. You'd think that with all the information she was getting from doctors at the time, she would have known that it's called "Down Syndrome", not "Down's Syndrome".

June 16, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • JohnnyR1ingo

You would also think that Obama would know it was 2011 when signing the Royal Guestbook during his last trip to England... not 2008. What an idiot Barack Obama must be for making an error, right?

June 16, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  5. Randall Moore

Please Read: Romans 1 & Matthew 24 -thouroughly ! as said, "the END is NEAR" !

June 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • CDSJr

Thank God, I'm tired. Do I have time to go to the bathroom first?

June 16, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Ray

If Palin becomes President, it is!

June 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  6. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    .'

June 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  7. janpam

If she truly believes that, why has her daughter had plastic surgery?

June 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • CDSJr

What does her beliefs have to do with her daughters actions. You do know that they are two separate people, right?

June 16, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
    • ohfe777

@CSD – You are aware that the daughter attacks anyone who criticizes her mother despite being her own person, right? You are such a freaking moron. You should really get off the computer and get a hobby, like reading a 3rd grade school book.

June 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • CDSJr

Everyone protects their mother you buffoon. You act as if this is your personal blog. I think you should consider something a little more relaxing for you. Maybe, admit your Palin fascination. You seem quit motivated to follow her every move and comment on it. It's o.k. You're among friends. You were born that way.

June 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Roscoe Chait

Yes, she is religious. The same way Attila the Hun was religious. If Palin can see a dollar in it, she will milk it. She's a liar and a fraud, laughing at us all the way to the bank. A Down's Syndrome child is money in the bank to this pathetic cartoon character.

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Betty Boop

If she is a cartoon character the Betty Boop has nothing on her – Hmmm – what would your character be – Hmmm oh yes of course – under a house – quick grab the broom – yay!

June 16, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  9. molinelobo

I was moved to the bathroom for another move. sara didn't write that. Look at all her speaking and writing since. Notice she has no concept of writing. That was written by becky the aspiring screenwriter.

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  10. Bruce

Has anyone uncovered the scandals yet? When are we gonna hear about all the juicy stuff? Looks like we really caught her with her pants down this time. I bet she has killed a moose out of season or something like that. Do we know what newspapers she reads yet? Keep diggin

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  11. WMesser58

Fraud, Waste, and Abuse!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Speedo Wearing Jesus

What?

June 16, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  12. jason

Ironically its Sarah's god that allowed her son to be born with such a tragic disadvantage. Oh silly me, that's right, it's all part of "gods plan." LOL
    Sarah Palin is an excellent mother, she's loving, compassionate, and caring. But she is also a simple-minded, intellectually deficient, deluded individual who has absolutely no business even pretending that she is qualified to lead 300 million people.

June 16, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • Bill

And Obama is any better? LMAO

June 16, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • We will win

Someday we will have someone who is perfect to lead this "perfect union" until then it's just white men – and yes half white is white.

June 16, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  13. Carl Seitan

My take on her email is, "who the hell cares?"

June 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  14. budovalcev

Sad part is how many people fall for it...

June 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • Mel H. Wolters

I just wonder who her ghost writer was for this & probably many other missives attributed to her???

June 16, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  15. RusTnuts

A week of investigation on these 10's of thousands of highly important emails and cnn has learned she's a religious person...wow, stop the presses.

June 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • CDSJr

And we are so bored we respond to it...... Sad, isn't it?..

I'm going to watch a rerun of funny videos. No one wants to play with me anyway so bye for now.

June 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  16. steven harnack

I'm not a member of any religion but isn't it pretty clearly spelled out for christians that presuming to speak for god is blasphemy and that's the one big unforgivable sin? I hate to have to school you christians but maybe you should spend a little more time actually reading your good book and loess worrying about what other people are doing?

June 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • CDSJr

So, all the prophets in Bible speaking for God are in Hell? I think you should study so you do not sound so ignorant next time. It's just embarrassing...

June 16, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Katherine

There is no unforgivable sin in Christianity. There's only one mentioned in the Bible, and that was attributing the miracles of Christ as satanic. That would have to have happen when Jesus was physically present, so it can't be done today.

June 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • ohfe777

@CDSJr – The prophets did not speak for God. They extended Gods word to man WORD FOR WORD, so there is a marked difference between those two things. People who report conversations with God the way this dingleberry of a woman has in her meail are speaking for God, and that is the problem with religious idiots liek yourself, this predisposed notion that as a person of faith you have some special knowledge of divinity that no one else has. You do not own God. you do not make the rules. No one but God does that so shut your f'ing mouth you sack of feral minded filth. What is truly embarrassing is when ill educated fools like yourself try to intellectually jockey yourself above someone making a cogent point.

June 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • CDSJr

It is certainly interesting that those who say we can't make the rules want to make the rules for us. I also love the fact that if you intellectualize anything religious that makes you a believer in it. I have never stated any belief or political leaning on any blog here. . No one knows or has guessed my leanings, philosophy, or career, other than I am a scientist. Of what sort, no one knows. But I really love watching people try and figure it out. I just stir the pot and watch it boil. Hopefully, some will think beyond their mindset for a change, even if for a brief moment.

June 16, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  17. I'mamomtoo

Politics are one thing, motherhood is all things!

June 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • CDSJr

That doesn't make any sense....

June 16, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Mister Jones

All things? Even fatherhood?

June 16, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  18. TJ

one tender moment does not make a good person. she is till an idiot and an nasty human being.

June 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  19. CDSJr

Well, it's either this or TV. There's nothing on right now.

Obviously, we have all seen different things. Her talk is political. If she truly was anti-science and technology she would send runners with an inscribed parchment for her communication and ride horses from venue to venue. She says what she must to further her position. We all do this. She is no more guilty than any of us. We all have agendas. Her biggest fault is lack of preparation and assuming that what she knows is complete and up to date. I do not know of any one who has not shot their mouths off only to realize later that we did not know what we thought we did. What she needs to learn is that if their is any doubt, there is no doubt that your knowledge is either incorrect, out of date, or at least incomplete. She is as smart as many of the politicians we currently praise. She only lacks impulse control and needs to learn that her pride has and will push her to answer questions and say things she is not prepared to talk about.

Discuss...

June 16, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Joey

Speak for yourself. I do not attack people to get ahead myself. I do not make up lies to get ahead for myself. This is what Sarah Palin has done since she came onto the scene. she accuses people of Socialism, defames their name with it, namely, our President, but she has successfully distracted the media from her progressive and sociliastic work for the state of Alaska via the Alaska Permanent Fund. She as Governor raised APF taxes on big oil to their highest rate in the history of ther state of Alaska and then redistributed that wealth, (the same way a socialist does), to the people of Alaska. Every single elgible citizen received $3,200 for doing nothing but live in Alaska in 2008 under her governorship, yet she buried that fact and attacked other people for being community organizers and alleged socialists when they were fare more conservative in their political applications than she. So please, do not say we all behave like her to get ahead. I am a man of my word who wants only what he earns. I wish that were the same for Sarah Palin

June 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Mister Jones

Ride horses? ... You mean like Paul Revere?

June 16, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • CDSJr

Yes, like Paul Revere. I love that guy. The Beastie Boys sang about him...

June 16, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  20. bornthisway

would be nice to see Ms. Palin do some advocacy work for those with special needs, she comes off as so self-serving and self-righteous, then she's supermom to her special needs baby... confusing to say the least...

June 16, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • KC

Amen. If it were MY special needs baby, she and the entire right wing would be bashing me for working rather than staying home to give the child 24-hour-a-day attention.

June 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • ALexia

Too True Brotha, too true. Let me wheel out the special needs child for brownie points. Never does any actual work for that community does she. If she did, she would exploit it more for her gain.

June 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm |