home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Paulus

U can hav many personal ill feelings about sarah but pls put God out of this u atheists

June 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Mary burkhardt

I truly will never understand why there is people in our world that make fun of God.when something bad happens God is the first person they call on.if you don't like someone ok but don't make remarks about being no God. He should be the last person you talk to at nite and the first one in the morning..I AM SO SAD AND MY HEART IS HEAVY BECAUSE THESE PEOPLE ARE MAKING FUN OF PEOPLE THAT LOVE GOD. Accept him as your lord and savior and you will feel the happiness that you never felt before. God bless Sarah palin for her email from God..he is smileing on you .

June 16, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Sally

If Sarah Palin showed one iota of Christian love in the past three years, maybe this letter would not be seen as so hypocritical. (of course, if she had actually been pregnant, it might mean more too.)
      From the moment she hit the stage at the GOP Convention, she has done nothing but divide this country. She cannot credit the President with anything. She enrages her fans to the point of them yelling 'kill him' at her rallies. This letter would appear to show a loving mother, but in reality, once Trig became too big to haul around like a prop, he has disappeared from her life. Who is taking him to therapy? Does he wear his hearing aids? What has she done to advocate for special kids other than speak to nonprofits for $100,000 a pop? She hasn't volunteered at his school, hasn't started a foundation to help other parents and kids, hasn't done anything but toot her own horn and collect millions of dollars. Oh, and have a couple photo ops with Franklin Graham, that devoted servant who collects a mere half million a year from his own nonprofit. These people use Christianity to further themselves, not to do God's work.

June 16, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  3. CorrineK

This whole thing reeks of something very strange. SUPPOSEDLY the "family" or "personal" emails were supposed to be taken out of those published. BUT the thing that reeks the most is the discrepancies. She has written that when Willow came to the hospital to see little Trigg, she commented that he looked like he had downs syndrome. If they had actually gotten an email like that she would have known he was downs syndrome before he was born.

Why are the Palins such liars? That email was probably stuck in there later to try to make Sarah look human. She couldn't care less about Trigg. She has been away from him most of his life. Who does she think she is kidding?

June 16, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • william legge

Oh Please.

June 16, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Bert

I don't think Sarah was trying to impersonate God. If anything, she is only an "Aunty-Christ" (har har).

June 16, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

You made me laugh out loud.

June 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • william legge

You must be quite hard heart -ed to mock a mother who faced such difficulty with such courage. So many of you people have allowed your unjustified hatred of a good person to blind you and warp your thinking. hear is a truth of natural life that is true in our life. "what ever a man sows, that shall he also reap."

June 16, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  5. Lion

She's an idiot irrespective of every emotion she can fake. Why is it extraordinary to love your own child? I think the only thing extraordinary is if you don't! Blood is thicker than water.
    Talking about an email from God or to God, purleeeeez.... #Kookoo_Unleashed. My ex-girlfriend talked to her plants everyday and would look at me straight in the eye and say: "they hear me"! Praise God, Halleluyah!

June 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  6. Erm

Oh my gosh. WHO CARES!! She says one nice thing and suddenly all the million mean and stupid things she's said are forgotten?

June 16, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • william legge

Tell us all , one mean thing she has said. I have heard her disagree with Obama's policy, but that's not being men, so tell me one. please.

June 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  7. David L

Absolutely not true. This has political agenda written all over it. Don't be so naive.

June 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
  8. dashawn

I think it's all a publicity stunt before her announcement to run for president! Don't fall for it?

June 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  9. Mary Ellen Armstrong

Good for her! I have a problem with her killing animals... But as a Mother I am sure she loves her kids now, and while they were in the womb.... So be it...

June 16, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
  10. Norm - not that one.

Anyone know if Casey Anthony, and Sarah Palin are related?
    Sometimes it seems like both are using the same (lame) brain.

June 16, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
  11. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    ^

June 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  12. MikeBell

She is doing a great job in being the lightning rod to make fools of the media.

June 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think you had a typo there. She actually just makes a fool of herself.

June 16, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  13. mike

What a KOOK! There is no god.

June 16, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • william legge

Gee, I guess 80% of the American people are kooks?

June 16, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • Yep

@William

Yep

June 16, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
    • Artist

80% kooks? Naw just high functioning schizophrenic. Actually I think the percentage is less now.....75% range...the "other than religious" numbers are growing.
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

June 17, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  14. Josh

Charle60
    --The school wouldn't matter since she majored in Sports Journalism haha. You must have went to ISU. Next time you are in Moscow on a weekend come on in to Mingles. I will be bouncing and will greatly enjoy throwing you out the front doors...or better yet into the back alley....

June 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  15. Josh

CHARLEY60............you are an idiot. I am actually from North Idaho and we really don't give a damn about the southern "spud farmer" We do real work up here. Her choice of major is more important than her school. Don't you think it is weird a university doesn't even recognize a grad that ran for vp? It's because she was a drunk loosey while going to school here and the only poeple around that respect her are locked in their trailer collecting welfare watching fox news

June 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Sally

I actually think they don;t recognize her because she never had enough credits to graduate...she went to three community colleges for four years...how many of those out of state cc credits would ever transfer? The picture of her in cap and gown shows her with a tassel the wrong color for the college she claims she got a degree in...more Palin lies...then there is the job application in Alaska where she doesn't even list a college degree at all.

June 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  16. Mark

Just when I "think" this woman is a complete and total lunatic, she goes and proves me right. It's easy to write emails from "God" when you think you ARE God. This schizo's clock is at 14:50 and I cannot wait for it to hit 15:00 so she can go away. How anyone takes this woman seriously is beyond me. She can take "God" and stuff herself with it (as if there was one–which any SANE person knows, there isn't).

June 16, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  17. To be or not to be

Anyone that has interacted with a Down syndrome person knows they are pure love. She is expressing that. But this does not mean every woman has to be forced to give birth. They are two different things.

June 16, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  18. Fasthike

Why in the world would anyone take the time to belittle Palin? For the love of Mike get over it people.

June 16, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  19. james g

Team Hoyt, showing a parents love for a special needs child, just like mamma grizzly Sarah!!

June 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  20. MDaniels

God, are you there? If you exist, please, I beg you: smite Palin. Thanks in advance.

(Relax, folks- I already know for a fact that God doesn't exist.)

June 16, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Franco

And what facts are those Mr MDaniels. If you belive that than I can also say for a Fact that MDaniles has no brain and he is just anther babbling moron.

June 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Clint

When you prove (not just babble like a moron) that ANY of the mythical stuff from any religion is true, you let me know.

Until then, those quoting bibles as though they were fact...are, in fact, THE babbling morons, and there are alot of you out there......way...way out there.

June 16, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • william legge

Yea well when you stand before him, Jesus said he would also deny you." If you deny me before men I will deny you before my father in heaven," I will say to them on that day depart from me, I never knew you".

June 16, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
    • Andy P

@william legge
      Yeah, well, your fancy god hasn't done anything for anybody, so why should we not deny the lies you think are true?
      Go ahead and pray away if you like. Nothing ever happens but regular stuff anyway.

June 17, 2011 at 12:01 am |