home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. The Captain

I am on the same boat with Sarah. I have a son who might have autism. He is scheduled to see a specialist. At first, it was a whirlwind of denial, anger, bargaining and depression. But never had an acceptance. It seems that God is not communicating with me. I lacked faith and a listening ear. I contemplated and it led me to write a letter from God. My letter's theme is "what would God would say". I kept the letter to myself. I didn't show not even to my wife.

June 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  2. Andre

Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin Palin, we are all unique in our ways. Lets STOP looking at other people faults and tend to your faults. . She is absolutely right, if you really take a minute and look around you-you will see alot of hurting people, people in need, people without famiilies etc. but yet we will not help them...lets start acting rather than reacting....

June 19, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  3. Jesse

As I have read through the comments, it stands out to me that, in general, those who were most against Palin's e-mail were also the same who most frequently made rude and short-sighted generalizations. I appreciate John Carpenter's comments, as they actually had some substance. Palin fan or not, this was a decent and tasteful letter that exemplified the unconditional love of a mother. It is not blasphemy, as common sense should indicate that the authorship is not to be taken literally. It amazes me that such extreme conclusions could be made by "intellectually enlightened" atheists and agnostics of this country, but as a Christian, I am also disappointed by the abusive interpretations and declarations of my fellow Christians. If I may say, it is time for those who claim to be Christian, to embrace more than just faith... God gave us minds and rational thinking. We should use them as well. Faith is only blind if you close your eyes to reality, and from what I see, God has created order and beauty and all that is genuine. If we aim to be like our creator... the same creator who foresaw Trig and who breathed life into him, we will see beauty, we will live within and embrace good order, and we will be people that, if nothing else, should be considered genuine. You may not agree with me, but I hope you see in me something genuine.

June 19, 2011 at 5:09 am |
    • JayGee

As a non-organized religious person, I agree with every single word you wrote. Thank you for your thoughtful and tasteful response. I appreciate your balanced perspective.

We CAN all get along and respect each other even if we have different beliefs, it's just a matter of people using their minds. I agree that a lot of people on both sides of many issues are intolerant. Tolerance is a two-way street and so many people claiming to advocate for progression in social rights are as closed-minded as those they are upset by.

We have to build bridges together.

June 19, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • JayGee

To clarify; I agree with everything you wrote except those involving our spiritual differences, since I am not religious.

June 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  4. Zelda

God's people accurately know the heart of God. Americans should listen to godly people to be preserved longer.

June 18, 2011 at 9:26 am |
  5. NC reader

I enjoyed her creative writing and touching expression of motherhood. However, she still is not qualified to be president of a country.

June 18, 2011 at 7:46 am |
    • Terry Washington State

I could have written a diatribe; no need, your comment succinctly mirrors my thoughts to a T.

June 19, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  6. god is BS

now I can say, "god, spread your legs and you shall receive!" 🙂

June 18, 2011 at 6:15 am |
    • JC in MA

Totally inappropriate.

June 18, 2011 at 9:20 am |
  7. Maggie

Wow. Not only is this email half opportunistic, it is fully blasphemous. This is coming from a special education teacher. It is disheartening to see her exploiting her son. Really?

June 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Varnette

I fail to see how an email to friends and family is "exploiting her son". Your "qualifications" as a special-ed teacher might make you believe you're more qualified to speak about Down's kids than this Mom who loves her son more than you ever will, but perhaps you should consider that your bias is political, and not from being in a credible judge.

June 19, 2011 at 2:15 am |
  8. Maggie

Although it's difficult to be harsh when someone is talking about this type of situation; she really is unbelievable. It makes me sad that her son is being expolited! This is coming from a special education teacher! Do you think God had her coin the phrase death panels? This email seems half opportunistic and fully blasphemous... in fact, it's laughable.

June 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Faith M. Martin

I read Sarah "e-mail from God", and just cried. Why? Because I know exactly how she feels, and where it came from, the heart, and the need to let family, and friends know how she feels and why she decided to have Trig. I have a special needs child also, I knew the possibility he would be special before I had him, but refused to end my pregnancy, why?, because I loved him before he was born, from the moment of conception I loved him, when we decided to have a late child, I loved him. He is the greatest joy and blessing in my life. Without a doubt this is the message of Sarah's e-mail, that this child is her blessing from God. All of these "hate" comments are just that hate.Any person applying common sense knows that God doesn't e-mail, this was not Sarah playing God, this was what Sarah felt when she first felt Trig kick, what a blessing from God, and she shared her feeling of Gods blessing. If she had been athiest, she would have shared her unbelievable joy that she had this wonderful child coming. Come on people, how about looking at this as it was meant and not spinning it for political points.

June 17, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  10. JoyceElaine

I don't agree with Sarah Palin, but I think that this letter is a beautiful thing.
    Personally, if you don't like her politically this isn't the place to talk about it, but you'll do it anyway!

June 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  11. BM

Sarah Palin is a psychopath. She and daughter Bristol have made millions from people with the same mentality. She knows absolutely nothing! Anyone who thinks this woman is presidential material needs to have their head examined.

June 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  12. RightturnClyde

I am really tired of reading and hearing negative comments about Sarah Palin. The left shredded her GOOD character for the success of their beloved Obmmer. I hope you have enjoyed what he's done for you but shut about this good Christian woman. She cannot run for president (the left made sure of that). She was a very good governor, responsible mother, faithful Christian, well educated, moral and decent. By contrast I could not say any of those things about Jonathan Edwards (the liberal choice), Clinton (the liberal Choice), Weiner (the liberal choice), Sandy Berger (the liberal choice), Obummer himself; Nancy Pelosi! .. the liberals have a DOUBLE STANDARD - one for them and one for their opponents. BUT be careful what you ask for - you just may get it.

June 17, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Artist

Forgive me while I laugh. She is a quitter, she failed as a mother, she shows signs of schizophrenia and she is a money wh ore. Her daughter couldn't keep her legs closed and is now making money off being a wh ore....hmmm like mother perhaps???
      Get a grip

June 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Mykelb

Palin uses KKKristianity as a cloak for fascism. Get real.

June 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • John Runningdeer

Too bad she doesn't pay any attention to the "blessing" from her god. or any of the blessings from her god. Too bad she did not take care of herself during her pregnancy. Too bad that she thinks she is so smart. Too bad that some people agree with the moron.
      Actually – I have seen this letter before many years ago – though not verbatim so does that make her a copy cat?

June 18, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • JayGee

You are asking for people to spare judging her, yet you judge Obama and others and denounce others in your same post.

Please, show some tolerance. I agree she gets targeted way too much by the media, but you don't have to shred the opposing party. That is completely contradictory.

I am not democratic or republican – I just see your view as very unfair. If you want those you support to not be judged, you can't judge the opposition – at least not if you want others to take your opinions to heart.

June 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  13. Tyler

Uh...its called blasphemy......!!!!!!!!! No and if or buts about it .period!!!!! If some activist group did this to make people think they would b no praises would b outrage yelling exactly what it is ....BLASPHEMY!!!!! We as humans can not pretend to speak words for god ..my god people that is directly coming from the bible !!!we do not judge anyone and say what gods plans r for anyone because we DO NOT KNOW !!!! Can't stress how more blasphemy this is !!!!!!!!!!

June 17, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Phil in Oregon

"Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away." -God

June 17, 2011 at 11:37 am |
  14. donna Noll

Does God give a child a disease? I guess Sara Palin wanted to believe he did, and perhaps still does. She may be right, but I don't think any of us will know in our lifetime. Some scripture indicates that sin can bring disease whther it is humanities sin or our individuals sin. Job was said to be a righteous man and so sin did not cause his many afflictions, however, the book of Job also says that Job exclaimed "what I have feared has come to pass. Fear being the opposite of faith opens the door for oppression.

Wow, what a lightening Rod this woman is. SHe voices her assumptions as fact, and makes us think about those assumptions.

One thing that we do know is that we can focus on what we do know: Faith in Jesus is our sure foundation. I hope that We can come to see God as a supernatural God who is still performing miracles today, and that he can heal all disease through our coming into agreement with his kingdowm and submitting our lives to his plan. He can heal every disease if we let him.

June 17, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Mykelb

Faith is for lazy ass Americans who will not think for themselves. Please keep your myth and mysticism inside your church where it belongs. Geebus.

June 17, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  15. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    ^.

June 17, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  16. Genghis

Sarah Palin's email was superb. I am a new grandfather of a Down Syndrome baby and I completely understand what she wrote. I feel sorry for those who lash out at her with such horrendous venom as I read in so many of the comments. They need to know that the Scriptures say that one day EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord...and that is whether they believe in Him or not. None of us is sovereign over our own being. We cannot predict what will happen in the next 2 minutes let alone how a baby will be born. All things occur only in God's sovereign design. I'm praying for all of you that were compelled to be so intolerant in your comments.

June 17, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  17. Reality

Most politicians suffer from the Three B Syndrome, i.e. being Bred, Born and Brainwashed in some form of religion. S. Palin's Three B Syndrome came from the RCC and the Assemblies of God church, the nation's largest Pentecostal denomination. ===================================

June 17, 2011 at 12:50 am |
  18. jojo

God sent her a message-and by email Realy??? Goes to show why women never served as a president!! For those of you that buy into this crap is just as crazy as she is!!

June 17, 2011 at 12:45 am |
    • RightturnClyde

So you are a no frills realist. You realize that you are just the by-product of your father "getting lucky" in the back seat of a second hand Ford ... right? That makes you nobody special. You ain't nobody's miracle ..

June 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  19. Stranger

She's strange. Ppl that voted for her are sick and America is wonderful for letting her think she could be a president.

June 17, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • John Carpenter

Sick? During the span of my 25 years as a pilot–10 years as a fighter pilot for the air force and 15 years with a major scheduled American carrier, I have been subjected to more sophisticated "med-evals" in any given year than you are likely to see in a lifetime. I mention this because all military pilots are and in November of 2008 we had a reunion of the squadron I served with during the Iraq War of 2003. As part of my duties as a member in Safety Evaluation Boards investigating "mishaps", I scrutinized more medical records than I can remember. Typically–almost universally–the psy-eval for experienced pilots stated something like this:

“above average in abstract thinking, high stress tolerance, resilient, decisive, practical, sober and dependable”.

During the reunion, the election was discussed at length and almost to a man and woman, each of the pilots–fighterpilots and transport pilots had voted for the McCain-Palin ticket. I would say that of the 30 or 40 people there, 15 had graduated from the Air Force Academy, another 10 or so from some of the best schools in the country–not infrequently with honors.

Sick? Stupid?

The military of this country does not toss the keys to a $14,000,000 (1998 cost) fighter to a man or woman who raises the slightest question of his or her psychological stability. Foibles that are tolerated in the private sector are disqualifiers.

To cut to the chase, as I see it the individual who makes the ignorant statement that anyone who voted for Barack Obama is "sick" probably has some serious unresolved issues to deal with–as I suspect you do by your opinion which at rock bottom is nothing more than an expression of contempt, uncensored, and dowebtlessmade without the slightest idea how thoroughly
      moronic such a belief is.

June 17, 2011 at 3:28 am |
  20. Paul Willson

I have no dog in the Ms Palin political fight as I live in Canada . This e mail was well written and is a memo to the rest of us not to think you have be totally a physical & cognetive giant. That having a handicap is not the end of the world. It might just be God opening a door to another way of living. Ands I write qas someone with a handicap epilesey .Which used to and to a point still carries a stigma in some peoples mindset.
    To the cynics saying this is Ms Palin trying to humanize herself. Look at the date stamo before she became GOP VP candidate, so get over it .

June 16, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • John Carpenter

Beautifully expressed. I sometimes think that Sarah Palin may be nature's litmus test to expose individuals who are consumed by hate, intellectual arrogance, intolerance, and who have a tendency to take a vicious pleasure in the problems of others.

I'm not a big fan of Barack Obama. I have my reasons but if he had, let's say, written a letter from "God" to a daughter explaining why her best friend was dying from leukemia, and if that letter were written sensitively and the theme was "Sometimes we are challeneged by things that seem like curses but which mysteriously and miraculously, can be the seed that brings something wonderful to us no matter how impossible that seems at first", I would feel a bit foolish for judging him only by what I read in the papers. If I ridiculed him for his letter and mocked his pretentiousness, I would hope I had enough humanity in me to feel a deep sense of shame for being so consumed by hate for the man, that I could no longer recognize
      an act undertaken that was entirely benevolent and life enhancing.

June 17, 2011 at 3:45 am |