home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. The Bobinator

I just wanted to give her a child she could relate to.

Sincerely,
    God.

June 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Jeremy

Get a life, and some compassion while your at it.

June 16, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • trigtwit... America's favorite tard baby.

Jeremy, my diaper's all crapped up again.

June 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Get a life, and some compassion while your at it.

Get a brain. It's a commentary on how absolutely retarded it is to try to have this child be seen as a blessing. The child is going to have a very difficult life and be dependant on others. Writing a letter as God was stupid and to make it sound like a good thing is an insult to her child.

June 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • guest

no. maybe G-d sent this child to show her how to be a sweet, kind and humble human being, all the qualities she lacks. this child will never have the malice that is in his mom's heart and he will never be cruel and judgmental towards those who think, act or love differently than his mom does. and i don't think he will find it cool to kill other beings for sport.

June 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • LostCause

LMFAO I hope Bobinator has a child with down syndrome so we can all laugh at him too. Your pathetic

June 16, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
  2. clarke

As a mother, I see nothing wrong with this. I understand what she was doing and I respect that.

June 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  3. Geoff

I was ready to give Palin a chance but then I saw she included this email in her book. She obviously came to view Trig as a potential crutch, not a liability, and now this proves it. What a manipulator. I feel sorry for the baby.

June 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • BOBBY BEEHAM

24,000 EMAILS.... WHO'S FOOLING WHO? COUNTE 'UM FOLKS.... 24,000!
      AND THIS IS ALL THEY COULD PRINT?

June 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  4. mn

Gee, and reports during the campaign said that she did not know beforehand that her baby would have Downs Syndrome. She reported that Willow was the one who po9inted it out at the hospital.

June 16, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  5. Whatttt

So, if we assume God also makes gay people, shouldn't we also love them? We're all not 'perfect'.

Practice what you preach, Palin.

June 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jim

l"ove the sinner and not the sin" Mahatma Gandhi

June 16, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  6. C.Toughill

We recently made the eyewear for the upcoming HBO Sarah Palin film, "Game Change". Part of our job is to research who wears what in real life. Trig has Downs and wears prismatic magnifying lenses as well as hearing aids, as frequently comes with the territory. Sarah Palin takes away Trig's glasses and hearing aids when she trots him out in public, thus putting her perceived image ahead of her own child's ability to see and hear what is going on around him.
    I will judge a person on what they do rather than what they say every single time, and Palin's actions here indicate she views Trig as less than perfect. There is apparently quite a dichotomy between her kind words and the hierarchy of her real-world actions when it comes to her young son.

We are contractors, and this personal view is mine and mine alone. It does not necessarily reflect the views of HBO, or anyone involved with the production of this film.

June 16, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • GeorgeB

Interesting. Steam comes out of my ears whenever I even see or hear her name, but I wonder if she does this to keep the child calm when in public? I have no idea, I don't have experience with children with Down's Syndrome. Bless those who work with special needs children ... MUCH better people than me.

June 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Normal American

You made the eyeware? Gosh, then you must the expert on the entire family. Keep watching, eagle eye... maybe you'll learn something besides how to rip people apart. Here's how you conduct your business... provide product or service to client, then backstab them on the way out the door. Great idea.

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  7. Vulpes

She seems to think a lot of herself ... what a joke.

June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Normal American

yeah... what a joke to think well of oneself, Vulpes.

June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • LostCause

Vulpes your a Joke

June 16, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  8. Darth Cheney

Other things equal, people with extreme narcissism disorder are probably better at imagining themselves as God than ordinary people.

June 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  9. deebee

Having read nearly all of her writings and hearing her word salad speaking style it is near certain this "God Email" was cut and pasted and with help from others. The most interesting part is how did she know as this was written 6 weeks prior to the "birthing" that this was going to be an easy pregnancy and "hurried up (premature)"?
    I read this as fake,blasphemous,delusional.

June 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  10. Cat

What a boat load of crap, out of this woman's ugly mouth. If you believe a word she says you have a problem.

June 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Normal American

No, Cat. I would venture to guess everything about you is far uglier than anything Sarah could be or do.

June 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  11. victim of democrat hypocrisy

Really, Bush-bahsers...um, I mean Palin-bashers? This is the best you can come up with in poring over thousands upon thousands of e-mails? You people must really be bored at not having Bush to kick around anymore.

June 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Steve

When you run for president or should I say quit your job, start a new one as an reality tv freak, then work for the worst company on the planet fox news, then attempt to run for president without ever allowing anyone to ask you a question. Yes we have right to want to know what kind of a person or leader she might be.

June 16, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Ah C'mon already

I'll simply say this. If this email had been written by Barack Obama, would you feel the same way about it?

June 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  12. Jim

An invisible sky diety who communes with you is not a sign of religiosity, but rather mental illness.

June 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  13. The Half Baked Lunatic

'god' is an idiotic idea promoted by immoral people to pacify and control the weak minded.

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  14. Irma in Noth Carolina

I think God needs to have a talk with God and tell her she should tell the truth whos child this really is.

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Normal American

It's probably the soul of one of your aborted babies (your teens years) that was reincarnated into her child. So don't feel bad.. you're probably related, but without any of the responsibility..yeah! Now you can go back to your miserable life in NC. Go tarheels!

June 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  15. Qbananita

Writing this e-mail must have been a cathartic and fortifying experience for her, and who are we to judge how a mother prepares for the birth of a child she knows will be developmentally disabled? It must have been a scary experience to know she would be facing the challenges that come with a special-needs child, all the while under the scrutiny of the public eye as governor of Alaska. Regardless of how I feel about her religion, education, knowledge or politics (skeptical on all counts), I believe a parent in this situation has the right to draw on whatever resources she sees fit in order to handle it.

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  16. Socrates

It is amazing how the depth of knowledge human beings have will determine how naive people can be. I can't see Russia from my house but I can see Palin in Alaska laughing in her way to the bank. She is one of the greatest female manipulators, hypocrite, deceiver and immature woman among all the crooks and self serving politicians from both parties.
    Wake up to those who think that Palin has brains. Yes, she has but all she can think is how to manipulate people in order to reach her goals which is to make as much money as possible. Now she is saying that God sent her an email.. I wonder which is the Email I.P. address God has and if he has a Yahoo or Hotmail or AOL account..
    Amazing how much space CNN gives to this false human being. I am sure there are better news out there. Perhaps CNN is becoming a mediocre source of news..

June 16, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Mike

You just sound pathetic and moronic...

June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • LostCause

Socrates please kill yourself and do the world a favor

June 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  17. SPOT

You know, all the conservatives claiming that democrats and liberals were "worshiping" Obama, making a huge stink out of someone calling him "the one", where are they now? No problems with Palin writing emails "from god?" Imagine if Obama had done this?

June 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Anonymouse

You see, ignorant liberals actually believed Obama was their socialist God, coming to anoint them in their fetid waters of colletivism. Palin, on the other hand, is actually sent from the true God, He who is called Supply Side Jesus.

June 16, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  18. Joe

"Favorite tard baby." "Poster child for abortion." "Thinks she (Palin) is God." "Trying to deal with her mistake by making a positive out of it." Etc., etc. Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life down here.

June 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • trigtwit...America's favorite tard baby

...drool...

June 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • JoePub

I recommend a few reading comprehension classes for you Joe because you sure didn't understand the article if that is what you got out of it.

June 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Jess

Hey Joepub, Joe was quoting the commenters and not referring to the article. Good job on proving his point though.

June 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  19. DoomsdayKitten

I'm totally writing a letter in the voice of Satan. I wonder who will love me.

June 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  20. mfstout

Just another wacked out right wing Christian zealot hiding behind God. She and Bachmann deserve each other.

June 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm |