home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Vivian Mac

OK, that is nice. Now make her go away.

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Brew987

How about you go away.

June 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Phil

Seriously, she is useless, literally good for no tasks other than nursing her fake baby. FAKED HER PREGNANCY!!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Normal American

After you.

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  2. John

At last, I've been waiting all day for CNNs article about Palin. I need my daily liberal BS.

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Free

The nice thing about Fox News is that you can get your BS 24/7, without any waiting at all! 😉

June 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • nick

agreed with Free. why don't you go put another american flag sticker on the back of your Buick Park Avenue with all your teddy bears in the back.

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Normal American

Well, Nick, why don't you take your Prius and drive it off the Golden Gate?

June 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Artist

Why don't both of you hold hands and jump off together?

June 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Dave in Portland

Thanks you Artist. I agree wholeheartedly. The lunacy on both sides amazes me. Does anyone think for themselves anymore? All I see are the whack-jobs from the far-left and far-right coming out of their holes to spit at each other repeatedly with no measurable results. Truly intelligent people would be non-partisan.

June 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
  3. Tammy

I am amazed (but shouldn't be anymore) at how cruel so many of you can be. Regardless of your political beliefs, Mrs. Palin is human. I understand the point she was making and that is to cherish and love this child for who he is and whatever disabilities he may have. He is more perfect than the "Hollywood" type people that society wants our young children to look up to and aspire to be. Look at how crazy their lifesyles are. (Lindsey, Paris, Etc). They are the ones I would consider "Lunatics". God Bless the Palin family, God Bless America and God Help those with the UGLY hearts.

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • nick

and god bless Tammy that she might one day discovery reality...

June 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Normal American

Nick, I thought I told you to get in your Prius and drive off the Golden Gate?

June 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  4. G SMITH

She is a very smart women and would make a great President, better then the idiot that is in the White House now.

June 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Mtn Mama

Seriously? LOL!

June 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Jon

First, it's "woman," not "women." And, no, she is not very bright. That is obvious to most people. She can't even speak in coherent sentences.

June 16, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • bachmanntwit

Sarah Palin is a filthy pile of stinking, steaming, maggot infested trailer trash. Now why can't you just accept that and get on with your life ?

June 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Tim

G Smith, I'd hate to think what other idiotic maniacs you idolize! You're welcome to like whoever you wish, and for whatever reasons you want, but if you think she's smart, I just don't know how you can possibly be reasoned with?

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Tim

By "G Smith's" logic, if he dislikes Democratic presidents (simply because they are a Democrat and for no other legitimate reason), then Sarah Palin is "smart", simply because she's not a Democrat, and that's all there is to that person's logic. This is "good enough" rationale in some people's minds. Forget that the economy tanked under a Republican president, right? I'm not a fan of any politician, including Obama, but what makes him so terrible in comparison and given the state of affairs when he took office? This reminds me of the loons that actually claimed he was the anti-Christ (and they really meant it). For goodness sakes, what makes him so much more "evil" than other Democrats in their minds? There's really no difference in the parties in how they run the country, but obviously Faux News has created an army of idiots that will not question anything they're fed and the fools just run with it. Good thing the lunatic fringe is in the vast minority.

June 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Stephen

You're absolutely right.

I can't imagine a more inept administration than the one we have now.

But that's what we get for electing a community organizer President.

June 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Artist

God bless the useless two party system we currently have...dumb and dumber voting for their prez.

June 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  5. Mtn Mama

The underlying message of the email is admirable. The whole delivery–this writing-it-as-if-she-is-speaking-in-God's-voice-to-announce-how-she-and-her-husband-want-everyone-to-approach-the-situation just seems unnecessarily gamey and cutesy... and, honestly kind of juvenile for a topic of such importance. Why not just be straight forward and pen it in her own voice?

June 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  6. Tim

Holy Schmoley, Palin can actually type an email! Anyway, she's a crazy moron, but what's it any of our business what she sends to family and friends, if it doesn't indicate corruption/wrong doing on her part? This whole email disclosure is stupid. None of it is our business if it isn't relevant to some wrong doing. And, it's not like they'd release anything showing corruption, so what's the point? A good distraction for gossipy people?

June 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • BOBBY BEEHAM

June 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Tim

What's your point in responding with that to my comment, Bobby? I can't care less about her emails, if they don't show wrong doing. This isn't a desperate"liberals" thing, this is just the news trying to get attention from mentioning this woman's name. Pailin would never get the GOP nomincation (in 2012 or 2016), and she'd never win. I don't think many people believe otherwise, so I don't think anyone's trying to dig up anything they can (they don't need to). I think this is nothing more than the news media trying to make more sales and this is why they continue to mention her name.

June 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • mb2010a

BOBBY BEEHAM: 24,000 "edited" emails. The freely admit that they have left out all the emails that "they" considered to sensitve for public viewing. Meaning anything that would get her in trouble...

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
  7. OBAMASUCKS

this is news? haha... this is all cnn could dig up? wow...

June 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  8. boocat

Oh puhleeze – this moron acts like she's the only one who's had a child with Down's Syndrome. People with alot less have children with this condition and you don't see them acting like friggin' martyrs.

June 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • nick

agreed

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • WhyNot?

it's astonishing to me that you would read such a letter that clearly is an appeal to all people to be nicer, more objective, less judgmental, and call someone a "friggin martyr" for caring to protect their child and try to open the minds of others who may not embrace children like him. Makes me think you're a "friggin" moron.

June 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  9. nick

can she please just get ran down and killed by a moose already? we are all sick of her and her stupidity already. we know she can see Russia from her house but can she still see it from 6 feet underground? haha

June 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Zodnick

What's the point of running a story of our responses to the original story? Just to give the Palin haters another chance to bash her some more? Some of these comments are so visceral, crude and disgusting it makes me worry what's becoming of this countries sense of dignity and fair play. I can understand disagreement and healthy debate of the issues but the ugliness some of these people excrement about someone they really don't even know is beyond understanding.

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Mtn Mama

Ouch... It's one thing to disagree with her and dislike her and her politics–

But to actually wish her dead? It's unfortunate that anyone would verbalize such a thing, let alone feel that way.

June 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • WhyNot?

Funny – if you're so tired of her why click on this story? I think you were hoping to find an article that makes fun of her and when you didn't get that you complain she should die? wow. go hug you obama poster for a while and calm down.

June 16, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Normal American

Nick, Please... i have been asking you to get in your Prius and drive off of the Golden Gate.

June 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • LostCause

Guys Nicks a troll dont comment on his responses

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  10. DC-JD

And God said...Sarah, you're an idiot...you were born an idiot...you will die an idiot...I have forsaken you.

But, God went on to say...Sarah, despair not, for I have created an electorate that is dumber than you are. Go forth, ye old mental midget...go forth and conquer in the name of Tea-Bagatis-Maximus...go forth!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • boocat

Great comment!!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • nick

LOL!

June 16, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • G SMITH

95% of those that make comments on CNN are uneducated.

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • BOBBY BEEHAM

24,000 EMAILS.... AND THIS IS ALL THEY COULD PRINT? WHO'S FOOLING WHO? COUNTE 'UM FOLKS.... 24,000! AND THIS IS ALL THEY COULD PRINT?

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Jess

DC-JD, that made me giggle like and school girl.

BOBBY BEEHAM: I am so tired of seeing your constant "24,000 EMAILS" comment. You bother me more than Palin. Go away!

June 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Normal American

How long did you work on that one, DC-JD? I hate to be crude, but based on your writing, you sound like a dumb-dumb. Could be wrong,,, maybe you're the CEO of a Fortune 500 or a molecular biochemist - who knows? But realistically, your life probably is about as interesting as dirt. Perhaps this was the highlight! Your welcome.

June 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  11. ProjectZ

cookoo....cookoo.....cookoo

June 16, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  12. charles williamson

just a convincing obvious rotation for sarah palin

June 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  13. Doomguy

EL-OH-EL!

They should name a psychiatric hospital after her and Glenn Beck.

June 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Normal American

they should name a smell after you.

June 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  14. Jim

I don't care what she wrote. She loves her child. But, this was from an email account maintained by the State of Alaska. If she wanted to write this email, and demonstrate her love for her child, maybe she could have written him a note in God's voice. Or maybe an email from a private account. It simply shows bad judgement.

June 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Tim

I believe the emails (sent from and CC'ed to) were from Yahoo.com email addresses, by the looks of it, and not an address located at, or ran by, the state/government.

June 16, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  15. BOBBY BEEHAM

24,000 EMAILS AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THE LEFT WING LIBERAL MEDIA CAN COME UP WITH THAT'S NEWS WORTHY? PLEASE!

June 16, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • bpayment

Many of the emails were not released. Only those vetted by the Alaska state lawyers were made public.

June 16, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Tim

Of course they're not worthy. They stated they'd not release all of them. Obviously they'd have no problem releasing boring, mundane one's. Perhaps none show any wrong doing, in which case who cares? I don't. You probably don't either. The whole thing seems pointless to me, and proves nothing. I'm sure we can agree on that, but none of this shows Palin is any more of a viable candidate either, which is her biggest problem and will remain so.

June 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  16. Pat McCormack

If you are Republican, it is never "god's Will" if things go wrong. It is obviously the Democrats' fault!

June 16, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  17. JoeT

Nothing to see here folks, just megalomanism. If only we could agree as a society to offer free treatment for diseases, perhaps she could be cured for the benefit of all.

June 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  18. sylvan finkelstein

all you ladies that got teary eyed over this..you all are as dumb as sarah is if you believe this bs

June 16, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • ProjectZ

true be that

June 16, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Normal American

Hello Fikelstein! Sorry to hear about your friend, Weiner. Couldn't you give Sarah a second chance, honey? anyway... let's trade pics.

June 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  19. Dustin

I think this email shows a mother's unconditional love for her child. I wish more mothers cared for their children the way Palin does. In regards to her other emails....Ive read nothing but what appears to be a politician hard at work. Why should we care what is in her emails anyway?

June 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  20. Pravaa

While I admire her for having gone ahead and having the child despite knowing the diagnosis, the whole letter does scare you in terms of its composition. What if she pens a letter from "God" asking her to go ahead and press the big red button towards Iran or N Korea? This lady is positively scary and a category 5 disaster as Bill Maher would put it.

June 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm |