home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Dennis Brower

Let's see... Sarah had several years experience of running a city and a state, but that makes her totally unqualified to be US President. Hmmmm...... how many years of experience did Mr. Community Organizer have? Please, try to be a little more coherent with your reasoning. Or maybe that's a liberal trait – lots of intelligence but no common-sense.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

That's the main reason I didn't vote fro Obama in the first election. He didn't have much executive experience. That has changed now of course, but it was important then.

June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Tim

Most people take issue with reasons far greater than her lack of experience.

June 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Josh

She is unqualified because she is stupid. I also think being a community organizer in Chicago is a tough thankless job. Doing right without credit expected. It should also be brought up again that she didn't complete her term as governor. Way to be strong and fight for your state haha. I work in the town she earned her degree in Sports Journalism(Moscow Idaho) and it is abundantly clear no one here has any respect for her because the type of person she was while attending U of I, and also the ignorance she has shown repeatedly on the national stage.

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Artist

Tim

Most people take issue with reasons far greater than her lack of experience.
      ------–
      Bingo......! What I find interesting is rather than discuss the issues, the conservative counter with Obama issues......who says that because people dislike Palin....they like Obama????? To deflect makes some people look pretty weak. This applies to both sides of the fence. I am losing hope fast in Americans as voters and people running for office. It is all simpl pathetic.

June 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • CHARLEY60

Josh speak for youself and not for everyone else. There are a lot of people in Moscow (and Potlatch) who don't want to be part of your "everybody here".

June 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Josh

Charly you are obviously from Potlatch. Even you must laugh at the fact she was a sports journalism major and poli sci minor. Try and go a whole week brushing your teeth and not beating your wife/gf.

June 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • CHARLEY60

JOSH- Got-ya. If she had come down to Pocatello and got a real education, going to ISU, she wouldn't have had to run off to Alaska to live. You taught her the boondocks was a way of life and now put her down for that. Not fair to blame her. SMILE – and yes, I have lived in Moscow and have rental farm land at Potlatch. Come down and share a Spud with us sometime.

June 16, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Josh

CHARLEY60
      -Not sure how you "Got Me"-The school wouldn't matter since she majored in Sports Journalism haha. You must have went to ISU. Next time you are in Moscow on a weekend come on in to Mingles. I will be bouncing and will greatly enjoy throwing you out the front doors...or better yet into the back alley. Also I am from North Idaho and we really don't give a damn about the southern "spud farmer" In fact they are an embarrassment to North Idaho. We do real work up here. Don't you think it is weird a university doesn't even recognize a grad that ran for vp? It's because she was a drunk loosey while going to school here and the only people around that respect her are locked in their trailers collecting welfare watching fox news

June 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Josh

Charley60
      The fact that Jared Allen was accepted as a student speaks volumes about the importance of education at ISU haha. Have a nice life Charley.....

June 16, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
  2. CalgarySandy

Since when are comments about a news story news themselves? If I want to read comments I do so. All this is some comments lifted from elsewhere. Is CNN going the way of reality TV where they do not even have to pay a reporter because they can just re-post readers' comments?

June 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  3. Realitychecker

Real nice that she had the opportunity to make a choice and the correct choice in her case. However, If she has her way, she and others like her will take away your choice if the time ever comes. This isn't less government, this is government getting involved in your most personal business and decisions. Government has no business making personal choices for the citizens. Until the right leaning folks understand that then their arguments about less government will never have any merit.

June 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  4. Adevilson Silva

This so-called "God" is really a f*****ng sadistic creator. No one is claiming for perfection, but why would something/someone create a retarded person who cannot explore life in its entirety???

June 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Stevie7

Maybe the designer isn't so "intelligent"

June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Normal American

Gee Whizz... you are a walking nightmare.

June 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
  5. Janice Crandell

What if she knew the child would be gay? Completely different letter I expect.

June 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Jess

A totally different letter. I'm sure if anyone tried to bring this topic up to her, she'd blink those long lashes and smile that vacant smile and deflect admirably.

June 16, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  6. David

People...if there is one thing that Palin has taught us is that she surely knows how to play the game. There is no chance on earth that she will run for President. Its all part of her game, she is her own version of the "lamestream media" or whatever cute little name she uses. Dare I say this...she is much smarter to actually think she has a shot and clearly is making a really nice living as a mascot for the angry sheep. She will continue to do so for a long time..as long as people keep paying attention to her. The irony is, I can pretty much guarantee that any of her supporters would not even be able to name one single action item that she says she would do to fix this country...not a single one. Why? Cause she has NEVER offered one.

June 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Observer

Exactly, David, she has figured out that being a legislator or president, with rules restraining public conduct, brings in much less money than being a mouthpiece for the disgruntled flock, as you observed. She is that kind of trash smart. I give her that.

June 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Artist

"Making a really nice living as a mascot for the angry sheep."
      That is her money maker. Money wh o re and well her daughter is making money for acting like one. What is interesting is people (ignorants) cannot see through the BS.
      Note I have nothing against wh o res nor think of them in a bad light. However based on evangelicals, her daughter was clearly one. And like her mother, she is a money wh or e being she is profiting from her own sin.
      AGAIN I do not think this bad just basing it on Palin's own standards.

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  7. jdomn

Notice the hateful and sarcastic tone of the negative comments highlighted in this story. Agree with her or disagree with her, there is no reason to be so insulting and hateful. Why would CNN highlight a comment that includes the insult "fruitcake Reagan" in it? That type of childish language is unnecessary, and it should be unwelcome on CNN. Also, the transparent hatred for Republicans is evident since the anti-God comments seem to gloss over all the Democrat leaders who are devout Christians.

June 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Rolls his eyes laughing

jd.., she made herself a target by giving immature lectures about "the messes down here" and how the faithful should get on worshipping Him, or Her (she did write in the voice of god, so perhaps she included herself in this.... grins). In any case, the public observing her can see how she's using her kids as public props, to gain her objectives. At the moment it's the fake presidential aspirations and the nice speaker fees. Until the well runs dry... (case in point, Christine O'Donnell)

June 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  8. Randall Hurd

I read some of the comments on here. Some people are really hatefull. People with familymembers who are special needs people handle things differently than some one who hasn't been there. I have a son with severe Cerebral Palsy. He is now 20 and through the years I've written him poems, taken pictures on holidays and even hung some of his awards on the wall. Anyone that doesn't understand how a parent handles life with a special son is ignorent. Me personally as I'm pretty sure Sara is, I don't really care what people think. It takes a strong parent to keep, love and care for someone that is difwferant

June 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Rolls his eyes laughing

randall, it's not about Trig or even the love Sarah has for her boy. It's about the politician S. Palin, and her addiction for (well paid) public appearances.

June 16, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  9. 1CrazyClown

Sarah Palin,, running for President,,, I'm sorry, but that just Hilarious, almost like having PEE-WEE Herman running for President !!

June 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • David

I'd vote for Pee-wee over Palin any day... at least Pee-wee was not full of hate for those who did not think like him.

June 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  10. the_dude

I absolutely love how the limp-wristed crowd hates her guts. Makes me laugh.

June 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • Drew Williams

Sound like you're so afraid you're going to turn gay, you have to refer to people with brains as "limp-wristed." Bye-bye, troll. Signed, the Limp-Wristed.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • David

Let's see your wrists...."dude"....

June 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  11. Drew Williams

She ran it (Alaska) until she decided she had no interest in running it effectively or otherwise, and quit just like that.

June 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Normal American

Drew Williams you should be ashamed.

June 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
  12. SecrtSqurl

She's an idiot.

June 16, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • troy888

shes a clown

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • GOPisGreedOverPeople

Okay....Okay.... She's an idiot clown.

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Normal American

I'll chime in... let me think of a good name for a dumb person... got it... a "SecrtSqurl". no, too obvious....

June 16, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  13. Sonia

Does anyone here understand Palin had the FREEDOM to accept this child or not continue with the pregnancy? If she had her choice, I wouldn't have the same choice. Please stop treating this woman like she is something special. She's not.

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • jdomn

Not all of us live by way of moral relativity. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right. I don't like Palin, but I admire her choice... and I really don't care what you think. Your comment is merely preaching to the choir and holds no persuasive element.

June 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  14. charlsie

I LOVE THIS WOMEN!!! SHE TALKS THE TALKS AND WALKS THE WALKS!!! GOD BLESS HER!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • David

you frighten me....

June 16, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  15. Patriot!

She scares you mad libs doesn't she? She (very effectively) ran the state of Alaska, she isn't that dumb!

June 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Observer

Yup, ran it for less than 2 years and quit!

June 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • David

Yeah, she successfully ran it for about 4 months...

June 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • cgold

Most effective thing she did for Alaska was quit.
      But she's the best thing ever for dems and for comedians. Run Sarah run!!

June 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • palintwit

Alaska has a smaller population than most American cities.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • David

My Border Collie can run Alaska....

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  16. slenon

I've seen better writing in Freshman English – high school freshman that is. It's a cheap device. Where's the child now, when she doesn't need to use it as a campaign prop?

June 16, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Normal American

Slenon, you shouldn't use "it" to describe a human being. Very disrespectful. Unless we're talking about your mother.

June 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  17. MattVP

She shall not be called a God.

June 16, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  18. charles williamson

more assumptions

June 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  19. Randoms

Seriously. Is this the kind of person you want to represent the United States of America to the rest of the world? Communication is a large part of the job, and so is integrity and self-awareness. She shows none of these qualities.

June 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • G SMITH

YES YES YES YES YES

June 16, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • palintwit

G SMITH... you should google some articles written in the foreign press about your trailer queen. The rest of the world is laughing at us.

June 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • G SMITH

PALINTWIT,

You must have voted for the worst President in History, The world is laughing at us for being so stupid voting for a loser Barack Obama. Sarah Palin for President 2012.

June 16, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • palintwit

G SMITH...The Europeans especially like to use the word ' oaf ' when writing about Sarah Palin. Don't believe me ? Look it up...

June 16, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Edward

GSmith your missing a conjunction..........stupid.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Oreo

A schizophrenic look at life from an extra-terrestrials view? NOW I GET IT! These losers refuse to see that they ran the country into the ground because they all think it was gods will.......Great! I bet they think that the ensuing worldwide domino effect economical crash has nothing to do with their holding the countries credit rating hostage,That wont be their fault either......It will be God's will.........I bet you wished you hadn't let them back in in a moment of anger, do ya?

June 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Tim

G Smith, I challenge you to explain how Obama is the worst president in history. Are you actually holding it against him for what Bush did to the economy? Exactly what did Obama do so terrible? Certainly, he can do better, but what exactly makes him the worst president in history? The fact Fox News has ramped up it's anti-Democrat rhetoric to new levels the last few years? The simple fact he's a Democrat? What, exactly, qualifies him as the absolute worst president? How about Democrats before him? Explain, don't just repeat what you hear.

June 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Normal American

"Seriously" Wow, that got my attention now that I know you're speaking seriously. May I express my opinion, Randoms? When you get a little older, I'll explain the whole world to you.

June 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  20. CrazyPDJ

It's sad that Trig probably will never be able to do trig.

June 16, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • JustAnObserver

LOL @ CrazyPDJ...That is mean!

June 16, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • cgold

Nooooooo! what about jobs for comedians? This is a jobs issue!

June 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm |