home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Fred

Haters gonna hate. Seriously, if she's such a crackpot, just leave her be. It's been determined over and over in polls that she could never win the presidency so why not just move on with your lives. The truth is that the media likes hating her and most of the folks commenting in here get off on it too. Look at you, so liberal and so superior and yet your policies and ideas are the ones being implemented across this nation and it's quickly swirling the bowl.

June 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • W

The fact that you are defending this.....whatever she is and the fact that you actually said "haters gonna hate." leads me to believe that you are 13, stop it. Let the adults talk please.

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Jon

Of course Palin is one of the people with a long enemies list. She is responsible for stirring up much of the hatred you complain about. I notice you used the word "liberal" like an epithet. Funny how you hypocritically accuse others of what you are guilty of.

June 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Jon

"yet your policies and ideas are the ones being implemented across this nation and it's quickly swirling the bowl."

The swirling of the bowl preceded the liberal policies. FYI, when Obama took office GDP was negative 6.8%, 820,000 jobs were lost the month Obama became president (and 3.9 million jobs were lost in the six months through 2/09), people didn't know if their money was safe in banks, the American auto industry was failing, and the stock market was plummeting. Now, under Obama, GDP growth has been between 1.5% and 5% for seven quarters, the stock market had its fastest doubling in U.S. history, the American auto industry has been saved, and twice as many private sector jobs have been created in the last 15 months as were created in Bush's 8 years in office. Just like religion, wanting to believe something doesn't make it so. The fact that you are so misinformed becomes a problem when people like you vote.

June 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  2. BDL

Why does CNN repost the bigotry that they allow in their comments? The Russ comment above is clearly over the top. Stop the hate, don't reward it with a repost.

June 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  3. Alex

i don't quite know whether i like the schizophrenia, the idiocy, or accepting of bribes better in her.

June 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • AR

agree

June 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  4. my take

my take is that who cares?! it was a private internal email to friends and family. who cares if work computers were used. other than that though,she;s a nutcase.

June 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  5. Jon

As a father of a daughter with Down Syndrome (not "Down's Syndrome" as God – I mean Sarah Palin – misspelled it), I know firsthand the special joy that children can bring regardless of their disabilities. It is obvious to many of us that Palin is basically a narcissistic opportunist with a God delusion. How sad that she uses her son so blatantly for political purposes. All of the attention she gets, presumably NOT for quitting her job as governor, just feeds her narcissism. If she really cared about people, and not just herself, she wouldn't align herself with the same people who are fleecing and oppressing so many.

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Love

you're a jerk.

June 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • dareink

I would have hoped that your daughter would have helped you see the beauty in the message. What parent doesn't want everyone from family to friends to appreciate the gift of these precious children. And perhaps, she felt some would not see this blessing for what it is. This was a moving email, sent by a loving parent who just happens to represent something you disagree with. How sad that you can't see past that one ideological issue.

June 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Ain't life Strange?

Jon, I have to agree with you. Anyone who studies theology and has even a fundamental understanding of it knows there is no such element as 'perfection' in any human being. Many worship celebrities, political figures, sports figures and such, but no one can really say those people are perfect. If they can, then they are dilusional. There are many reasons I dislike Palin, but I truley resent her holding Trig up as a merit badge to gain the 'sympathy' vote on how wonderful she is. I have three children, all healthy, but one very disappointing to me ( she's 40 years old) but I still love her as I do my other two. I never present her as a 'feel sorry for me' card. Just as Palin thinks her kids are off limits, I believe that door swings both ways. We all have our crosses to bear, and they shouldn't be used as leverage in any situation.

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Jon

dareink: No, I don't see the beauty in her God impersonation. If she truly loves her son, that is a good thing, but if she had done the slightest research, as she claims she did, she would know that it is Down Syndrome and would not have misspelled it. It is not surprising to me that she would lie about researching Down Syndrome since she is a compulsive liar.

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • dareink

Jon, the beauty is in the message not the impersonation. And really, it's time to fixate on something besides spelling. As for the compulsive lying, do we really want to go there? Do all of the other politians tell the truth?

June 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • Jon

dareink: It is not a fixation on spelling. My point is that if she had really done any research at all about Down Syndrome, as she claimed, she would not have made that mistake. So she lied.

June 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  6. StupidGod

So am I to believe she knows God better than anybody?There is no God therefore that is a farce.

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Denvercherub

How sad for you. You really think that all of the perfect balances on earth were just random. You think that imagination and emotions are part of evolution? Life is a miracle that cannot be explained other than it was made just so. I hope some day you can see the truth. It's right in front of you. God may not be the same of the bible but god is real

June 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  7. The Sky Must be falling

Sarah runs a STATE?... and she left it for TV talk shows, ads, and money... not a good leader to me...

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Artist

Imagine if she became Prez and a bigger opportunity came up,,,,she might quit. I am still scratching my head as to why McCain picked her. Seriously...one has to wonder. I am a Libertarian and have no loyalty to eather party and when I heard he picked her...first thought WHY.....heard her talk......thought SERIOUSLY WHY lol....followed by ...he is going to lose. I had to really question if McCain was even trying to win.

June 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  8. Judith

I might add that Sarah has used this poor child as a prop at every opportunity. Sure, she decides she doesn't want an abortion, but why does she oppose the right of every other woman with a problem pregnancy to make their own decision. Hypocrisy, thy name is Sarah.

June 16, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  9. Drew Williams

Her lack of experience is most certainly a factor ... but way down on the thousand-entry list of why she is not qualified to hold any office much higher than the one she held for a few months in Alaska.

June 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • G SMITH

She is more qualified to be President then Barack Obama. Look at the damage Barack Obama has done. Your comment is worthless.

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Tim

G SMITH, what damage has he done? Explain. Don't just say it, make a case and prove it. Make an effort (or make an effort to lay under a bus and do the world a favor).

June 16, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • palintwit

G SMITH... Can you list some of that 'damage' please ? It can be a short list if you like. I'll wait.

June 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • palintwit

G SMITH...well, WE'RE WAITING.

June 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Artist

She might qualify as Admin Assistant

June 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • palintwit

G SMITH...STILL WAITING !!!!

June 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  10. RWESTUPID

Forget Stupid Sarah! Michelle Bachman is the new teabag flavor of the month.

June 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • palintwit

" I'm hot for Jesus "

– Michelle Bachmann –

June 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  11. Iolani

Bad genes is bad genes....

June 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  12. Illeagle-j1

Sarah, please do not send e-mails out in my name. Further abuse of my registered name could cause you great harm. You could have an illigitimate grandson, a husband who is out of work and. Opps forgot I Already did that.

Carry on.

GOD

June 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  13. ssrb

CNN/Liberal Progressive though process: Palin bad, me superios and open minded, must find evidence scratch that, rhetoric that is anti Palin. Bad Palin.

June 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Dave

Me belief that me superior to Palin based on evidence me seen – no need more.

But – this is a touching email, even for an agnostic like me, so I give her props.

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  14. Joseph

For those out there who constantly try to degrade Sarah,YOUR THE STUPID ONES! Looks like your drinking the Obama Kool-aid. Seems like you like to be led on a leash then run free with some independent thinking. I love you people who criticize and make fun of Sarah, but guess what, she's getting the last laugh, and the money to boot. NOT BAD FOR A STUPID PERSON! People like you should look at themselves and see your accomplishments compared to her's. Keep drinking the Obama Kool-aid, you you get what you'll deserve!

June 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Stevie7

One does not need to be an Obama supporter, or even a liberal, to recognize that Palin is a self-serving, greedy, uninformed, unintelligent, ineffectual quitter. Many republicans share this view and want nothing to do with her. In fact, anyone with half a brain can see right through her hateful rhetoric.

June 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Illeagle-j1

MY MY, got up on the wrong side of the bunk bed today?

June 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • FIST

Says the idiot who cannot spell.

June 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Grammar

I know grammar bashing is played out, but my god man, when making a point about supidity it really adds credibility when you recognize the difference between "your" and "you're." My advice is to start slowly by making a concious effort to write you are instead. After a few months of practice doing that then maybe, and that's a big maybe, you'll be ready for "you're."

June 16, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Dave

If you were trying to make yourself sound like a retard, mission accomplished!

June 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Revert

*You're

June 16, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • You're

Joseph, it's me you wanted all along.

-You're (a contraction of the words 'you' and 'are')

June 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • EndTheHate

Spoken like a true America hating Palin brainwashed sheep.

Baa baa baa.

June 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Artist

Joseph

-------–
      You are not very smart are you and you assume way too much. What does Obummer have to do with Sarah's failures???????

June 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  15. Deb

Sarah is a happy, beautiful, intelligent, conservative mother, celebrity, politician. The Dems are terrified of her – she represents everything they want to be. Just stop and notice the hate being directed at this woman – can someone tell me WHY?

June 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • ALL TRUTH

She is illiterate and stupid. Don't really hate her, just think she is unqualified to lead the country.

June 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Judith

Terrified of Palin? You've got to be kidding. She's the gift that keeps on giving to the Democratic Party. Every time she opens her mouth she demonstrates why people are relieved that she and McCain lost. Most Americans are not ultra-conservative and Sarah's ideas are not mainstream. Sadly, she stands no chance of getting the GOP nomination because President Obama would beat her in an unprecedented landslide.

June 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • K3Citizen

Palin is a quitter. She said she quit to spend more time with her family, but with all of the television and traveling, she had to hire a nanny to take care of her kids. The last thing America needs is a person who quit on the people they vowed to help.

June 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Susan

The Dems would love to see her run. It's reality TV. Obviously, real republicans are embarassed by her lack or political and geographical knowldge, as well as her grammatical gaffes.

June 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Wake up

Dems are not terrified of her – she'd be the dream GOP candidate for Obama to be re-elected. Personally I just don't like her because she can't admit it when shes makes mistakes – which is astoundingly often. That's "why".

June 16, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • palintwit

Reasonable people are afraid of what she represents. And that is the dumbing down of America. We don't want a return to the backwoods mentality of the 1920's.

June 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Artist

Hate her???????????? Nope
      Simply put...she is a failure and a quitter with a dash of schizophrenia in the mix.

June 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  16. Randall

Not a big fan, but she does appear to be a paradox of sorts............

June 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  17. Deep North

How dare she even pose as God and the believer of Christ accept this. Moved... Touched...What Nonsense.. The Word say of God. My thoughts are higher that your thoughts.. My ways higher than your ways. For her to think that she can imagine what God is thinking is way beyond reason!

June 16, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Davey

I agree. I dont understand her rationale for this. Its ok to have these feelings for yourself, but when you go assuming the nature of God, thats when it becomes a demented deed. God is no respect of person, so to think He is going to select " an old Norse name", and a life in carhartts , tinkering in the garage , and everything " properly American" or " Anglo" in her eyes is just garbage. What the email goes to show is how she views the world and everything in it. It als explains her views on " real Americans" , "hockey mom", etc and why anyone who is not like her , is not considered legitimate. This email is more telling than just her view on her son.

June 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  18. Drew Williams

If this woman wasn't such a notorious kid-pimper, we might all share an "Awwwwwwww" moment about this. But she is, so let's not, OK?

June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Tim

True, not to mention the fact that she has it made (all for doing absolutely nothing to earn it and by just being an ignorant, hateful, extreme conservative mouth piece), where many people have things far worse and don't "have it made", people that work hard and contribute more than vitriol to the world.

June 16, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  19. UnAmerican American

Email from God's perspective? What a load of bull crap. If I ask her to define god the definition of god will be something like ' a perfect being, all powerful, omnipresent' and that stuff. Now we say we don't have perfect defined. Sounds just a vicious circle of word play. Please don't confuse ordinary people like me more. I mean I sympathize with the hard condition and all that but those lines don't really make sense.

June 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  20. Josh

Do we really need to praise this whacko for doing her job as a mother? There are a million other moms in far worse situations that are working harder and loving stronger....maybe we should be singing their praises not this false idol who is simply doing her duty as a mother.

June 16, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • dareink

Josh, praising someone that you feel is a whacko does not diminish the act. Everyone needs a pat on the back once in a while, something that this woman rarely receives. It is not for us to decide who works the hardest or loves their families more deeply. Do your duty, go hug your Mom and thank her for doing her job. Unless you feel she doesn't deserve it either.

June 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Josh

dareink--I'm not ignoring your post. I posted a response and for some reason it is awaiting moderation. I hope it goes through soon so you can hear my point of view explained more clearly.

June 16, 2011 at 9:28 pm |