home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Jenna

Well, its more than you can say for people who freak when they find out they'll have a special child and abort it.

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Shane

First off, it's not a "special" child. It's a child with mental disabilities. And a parent who writes a letter pretending it's from God so she can make herself feel better about the fact that one didn't have a "perfect" child is vile in my book.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • K.C.

@Shane –
      All children are special regardless of your opinion of how "perfect" they are. You're vile in my book.

June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Palin is Fake

Children are special if she actually cared about hers. She wrote this because of the light it paints her in. You and many others seem to have bought this hook, line, and sinker.

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Shane

@KC-No, not all children are "special". Some children murder their parents. You're as naive as Palin if you buy into all of this BS she's shilling.

June 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  2. Palin is Fake

Palin did this for attention. She knows the stuff will get out and she knows this will appeal to her nut job followers. Sarah Palin doesn't believe in God and she isn't religious. She is a terrible person and would easily trade her children away one favor at a time if she thought it would help her political career. People that fall for this are just as retarded as her kid

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Jack

I don't think she had any idea what her life would become when she penned that letter.

June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Molly

@Jack, she was fully aware that there was a strong possibility that she would be tapped for VP. And I would say that she wrote that letter with the VP nomination at the forefront of her mind. Her "baby" certainly wasn't on her mind when she got on two planes to fly back to Alaska having contractions and leaking amniotic fluid.

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • PoudBaptistGirl

How do you know what she does or doesn't believe? Are you God?

June 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Palin is Fake

If you think this woman is religious, you need to read the reports from her staff and people she deals with. There has never been a bridge she didn't want to burn. She is mean, vindictive, petty, ignorant, etc. etc. The main point many of her past staff talk about is how she attempts to have speeches "sound religious" and that "middle America eats up all this God stuff." Is that really what people who are true believers say?

June 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  3. Alex Lifeson

Palin is a bona fide LUNATIC! Obviously, she can afford care for her Down's baby, but many others cannot. She should have written a letter about how a civilized society should care for the sick and downtrodden, who through no fault of their own, are in a tragic predicament. By invoking 'god', she is denying that there is a legitimacy and genuine need to help those that are autistic or have Down's! These people ARE different, and they DO have special needs that cost a boatload of money for the average family. Many need help paying for proper care.

June 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • K.C.

Alex,
      Who's the lunatic here? You're pretending to be a '70s rock guitar god (one of my favorites from the day). She's not reducing any legitimacy by "invoking" God. Maybe you didn't read the entire email, but I think she was speaking from her heart about her child, her beliefs, and all the good things about being the mother of a handicapped child. She has no need to comment on all the other children in the world that need help, it's not like she's the President of the United States. Her responsibility is with her child and it seems like she's just the person for that job.

June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • to KC

Ya Sarah is qualified as a mother, that's why she is always on the road, because make money and being self-serving is more important, has a un-wed daughter following in her foot steps and a younger daughter following her sisters foot-steps.

June 16, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  4. Nicholas Saine

Let me get this straight, We're giving her praise for doing what a parent *IS SUPPOSED TO BE DOING* and for patting herself on the back about it to a fictional being? Why don't we give her the same amount of praise for saying 'Please' and 'Thank you' when she wrote that letter to Winnie The Pooh?

Give me a break

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  5. Nikore

Is it really THAT hip and trendy to ridicule and disrespect Sarah Palin at any cost, regardless of the subject matter?

I don't know why people can't just stop their hate parade for a few minutes to appreciate a touching, well-crafted message from a loving mother about her youngest child. This was a personal email that Palin sent out to her family and friends explaining, in her own way, how blessed she feels to have a son like Trig. You don't have to agree with her political or religious views to at least acknowledge its sincerity. I'm neither a Republican nor a Christian, but I can say with all honesty that the world would be a much better place if every parent showed as much love and devotion to their children as Palin showers onto Trig.

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Vicky

Agreed!

June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Molly

I think the problem is that we don't see her showing much love and devotion for Trig once he had left the womb, whosever it was (it wasn't hers). She dragged him around on the campaign and then her bus tour when he should have been having intensive therapy. She has done a diservice to that child. And when has she had the time to be his mother – she is never at home.

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Nikore

Molly, I appreciate that your response contains the very reasoning and thoughtfulness that so many others here lack. However, it may be a bit presumptuous to assume that you know what's better for Trig than his mother, whether biological or adoptive. Your statement that she "dragged him around" seems contradictory to your point about her never being at home – perhaps she brought him along so that she could be a mother and do her job simultaneously. Whatever the reason, it seems clear that Palin loves her son and is very proud of him, regardless of his disability. I just find it sad that so many people here use her devotion as yet another means to disparage her because it's currently "the cool thing to do."

June 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  6. Beverly Tatum

PALIN IS A HYPOCRITE, AN UNEDUCATED FOOL, AND NOTHING SHE DOES IS BUT FOR HER OWN GLORY AND MONEY-MAKING SCHEMES.

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • BUTTLORD GT

Also she has a poison womb!

June 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  7. lolz!

Awesome.

June 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  8. Figglefoot

2,500 emails and CNN has to do numerous stories on the one that had anything other than showing Sarah worked hard as Governor. Still, she gets more hate from smug liberals.

June 16, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Shane

Attention Sarah Palin: The legal department in Heaven would like to speak with you about that little letter you say is from God.

June 16, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • John

Smug liberals... like there are no smug conservatives? Give me a break.

Lets get to the real point here. Politicians should be judged on the work that they do for their consituents. They should not be judged about there religious views nor or their personal lives. If we were actually able to take those things out of the media, we might actually be able to talk about things that are relevant to this country.

I couldn't care less wether or not she is a good or bad mother. Nor do I care wether or not she puts her faith in some god.

Just tell me how she handled governing Alaska and, based on that, if she has an ability to run this country.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  9. record notification

All that means is that Sarah Palin had an eureka moment of being a enlightened grown-up! Just like many of us who have face the same or different challenges in life, whether is cancer, AIDs, Aspergers syndrom, Alzheimer, or the loss of love one. I am sure it was a special moment for Sarah Palin. I wish she could have carried the same humble and fair spirit of that eureka enlightenment into her political and life views of other people in America and the world. Maybe it is not too late!

June 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Shane

Enlightened?! If slightly delusional, self-obssessed rants meant to make oneself feel better about the fact that one didn't have a "perfect" child is enlightening, then Palin is, indeed enlightened.

June 16, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
  10. Palins Panties

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........she is so funny and sad and delusional and starting to lose her looks and mentally challenged and........

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  11. Paul

Sarah is as close to God as you can get; just ask her. In fact, she can see His kingdom from her house.

June 16, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • tarek

Well played sir

June 16, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Jess

I see what you did there, and I approve.

June 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Shane

Ahh... Crookie below said it much better. Copy catter.

June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  12. Dawn

;Sarah Palin favored cutting back on benefits for the disabled before she gave birth to a disabled child. She is a hypocrite.

June 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  13. Paul

I'm not a Sara Palin fan by any stretch, but I believe she does have a solid core. And the absolute spewing of hatred from some of the responses to a woman expressing her feeling about her child is revolting! Preportedly liberals who preach "acceptance" and "inclusiveness" displaying utter hypocrisy. Sad society. Sad society indeed.

June 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Wayne

The hatred is not about her expressing feellings. She is just an idiot. It's not hatred, it's revulsion.

June 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Vicky

Paul,
      I consider myself a liberal and not a fan of Palin but I thought the e-mail was wonderful. I would never vote for her as President but as a loving mom, yes. You should read all of the responses of those who feel the same instead of focusing on those who are responding negatively toward the e-mail.

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Shane

LOL!!!!!!!! Solid core?!! self-obssessed rants meant to make oneself feel better about the fact that one didn't have a "perfect" child is solid to you?? She's an imbecile who should be as far away as possible from politics.

June 16, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • jamesbrummle

She is a public figure and seeking a posiiton of great power. she should be under extraoridinary scutiny. For me for a person to claim to speak for their god or in god's voice is pretty disturbing. There were many ways she could of expressed these wonderful thoughts, for some reason she chose to assume the role of God. Sadly consistent with her general philosophy of being above reproach, never wrong, suprememly wise, etc,

June 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Molly

You do realize that he is NOT her child! That is one of the things that makes this letter so perverse. She wrote about having a comfortable and rushed pregnancy six weeks before his due date!!! BELLS an WARNINGS......you betcha. That child was already born when she wrote the letter.

June 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  14. Artist

Honestly religious people scare the HE!! out of me. Like mentally handicapped people waving around guns with the safety off in a crowded downtown square.

June 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • glyder

hater

June 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • K.C.

Artist (which, by the way, says it all),
      If you are so afraid of religious people, then what sort of "Hell" do you have to be scared out of? Hell is a religious concept, so by harboring the belief in hell, then you too must be a religious person....albiet a mentally challenged one.

June 16, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  15. Crookiemonster

Is Alaska THAT much closer to Heaven? Can she see it from her house???

June 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • Shane

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Artist

good one lol ...she moved down here to AZ, wonder if she can see he ll

June 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • LunaticFringe

Wait for the actual email from God asking her to call off her angel hunt.

June 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Paul

Crookie, you got to that comment just before I did. Darn!

June 16, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Mike

Contrary to popular belief, Sarah Palin never said anything about seeing Russia from her house.

June 16, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  16. whatever 48

It's amazing to me how many people choose to spend their time hating someone like Sarah Palin. If you hate her so much, why do you constantly keep talking about her and making comments about her? Grow up! Get a life! Do something productive with your time!

June 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • Shane

Palin is loony and this letter to "God" proves it.

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • me to you

like you?

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • PoudBaptistGirl

I agree! There are a lot of people I don't care for, but I don't waste my time hating them and thinking about what I can call them to make myself feel better, I just don't pay attention to them. This world is so full of hate (not just for Palin), it is scary.

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Molly

Palin is the one who generated all the hate back in '08 and she hasn't stopped since.

June 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  17. God

I never use the term "line-up" to refer to a group of people. By the way, today's weather will be cloudy and it will begin raining at 4:33 PM exactly. Trust me. I know.

June 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • me to you

Thank you God for waiting until after 4:20 to make it rain. ; )- By the way, where's the red bike i asked for, oh wait, that was santa, opps, don't cast me to hell for that honest mistake.

June 16, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Paul

me to you, God does not do the casting....idiot.

June 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  18. Bruce

Not a fan of hers at all But this is an email she should not have to explain to anyone. It is between her and her family and seems heartfelt and well thought out

June 16, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • andrew

REALLY?! Seems like if it was meant for the the family it wouldnt be on national headlines, and released during an election for the presidential bid. At least know that you are being used as a pawn, and your weak religious belief is making you march to the beat of sarah's drum not god's.

June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Vicky

Bruce,

I am not a fan either but I agree with you. I don't hate her I just don't want her to be in the white house. She has a right to express love for her unborn child in an e-mail from God or whomever she wishes. Good for her...I like her a little more than I did before which was not much.

June 16, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Molly

It was sent to staff as well.

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Molly

She also included it in her book!

June 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  19. bourneblogger

Sorry Sarah.... There's an economic crisis going on, people are losing their jobs, a child murdering mother is about get away with her crime, there's riots in Vancouver, protesters disrupting the funerals of fallen soldiers, lewd texting scandals, 22 year old Playmates finally realizing it's disgusting to marry 80 year olds, a Governator love child, Lindsay Lohan is back in court, we have a new Defense Secretary, a new head of CIA, Arab Spring is taking over the Middle East, the Greece government is going bankrupt, we're pitchin' corpses over the side of warships and bin Laden's replacement is filling up the pen cup on his desk as we speak.... We just don't have time for fairy tales, sweetheart...

June 16, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Shane

This woman is scary. Who writes a letter pretending to be God and then sends it out?! She has the mentality of a a teenage girl or younger. This woman should be as far away from politics as possible.

June 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Koren

you are right. how dare she waste everyone's time by writing about somethng that is not on topic with current events...wait, how old is this email? Well spotted, citizen. Thank (dare i say god?) for people like you to keep us on the right perspective!....jerk

June 16, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • P Man

Oh... We didnt start the fire...

June 16, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Ryan

@ Koren-

Good point...but Palin's thoughts would not be too far off if not, exactly the same, even now. She's just not bright enough to be in any office. We can finally agree to this. And....I also believe these were released to appeal to the religious nuts in our country for more votes come election time. She really is not a choice that anyone should ever make. There are too many people in politics that MUST be a better decision than her...so let's keep looking for REAL candidates. Not soap opera religious nuts.

June 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • glyder

no,we need the same old tired ass type of politicians that got us here in the first place.go ahead genius,stick with the establishment,we dont need anyone with courage of conviction.over the last few decades our culture has gotten away from the judeo-christian beliefs that this country was founded on.although our country was never perfect and never will be the 60's generation has had thier way one piece at a time.surely it's all an unrelated coincidence that our society is turning into one giant p.o.s.....so nah,lets make sure we keep on the path of fools.oh and don't forget the hate you have been trained for.

June 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • you to sarah

wow, very well put but truth be told, those comments should have directed to CNN as they are the ones providing us w/sarah's looney-toon emails.

June 16, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Ridiculous

Wow...you're dismissing the importance of fairy tales when half of the "current events" you mentioned are things I would find on perezhilton.com?? Interesting. You're totally bringing things back into focus. And I'm pretty sure her child exists, so you can doubt/question the religious aspects of her email, but the whole "fairy tale" thing makes little sense since the email was referring to an actual human being. I just worry about someone like you who gets on cnn.com and references Arnold's love child, or Lindsey Lohan's legal issues as though they're things worth worrying about. Weird.

June 17, 2011 at 5:59 am |
  20. Mark

"God" has nothing to do with it.

June 16, 2011 at 4:11 pm |