home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. Values Voter

^I find the whole "Down Syndrome" lifestyle very offensive! IT'S A CHOICE. God doesn't make 'tards, people CHOOSE to be 'tards

June 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Stephen

your "gay" is showing.

June 16, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  2. Major

The response to Palin's email shows just how depraved, idiotic and generally worthless her critics are. They seem to be miserable wretches who hate anyone more capable then they are, which is why they flock around and complete incompetent BOOB like Obama.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • eldono

Oh, oh. Sarah is in free fall and trying her best to do damage control. And, you are buying this? I don't believe it.

June 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  3. John

Wow, so she loves her child even though he has Down Syndrome? What a wonderful, above-average mother. Most mothers would throw that baby down a well somewhere and hope to never see it again. Has it gotten so bad that people are going to start praising her for doing what she is SUPPOSED to do? A mother is supposed to love her child regardless of his/her disabilities. And to add to that, she needed an "e-mail from God" to voice this basic motherly duty? It's incredible how taken people get when politicians do the most unremarkable things.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  4. jamesbrumm e

The sentiments are nice, but the speaking in God's voice is blasphemous according to her religion, which is pretty bad. Her use of certain terms to describe herself I find alarming. When she resigned she said she had a "higher calling" which is generlaly used to describe entering the clergy. When a photo of her was caricatured she called it "desecration", which is when a sacred object is defaced. She referred to criticsm of her lock and load as "blood libel" which relates to the death of Jesus. I smell religious mania.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  5. herpderples

yes yes yes.
    this is all well and good.
    she is still not qualified.

June 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  6. paul

So She (Sarah Palin) thinks that she is GOD and you guys/gals think she is normal and this e-mail is good for her? Are you serious? If anything this e-mail shows she hate people because her son don't have a normal life!

June 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  7. Josh

Those comments are not from Palin "critics" They are from palin supporters pretending to be palin critics...probably all the same person too. I can't believe you actually fell for this enough to write an article about it. Sigh.

June 16, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  8. johnnyfi

What is it with bashing Sarah Palin for anything she does, even when it's good? I'm never surprised anymore by how stupid and spiteful Americans are becoming. Sarah Palin might sound simple, but her core and values are far superior to the smooth talking BHO.

June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  9. dina

So why is she never with her child.She is traveling around broadcasting the Sarah Palin thing. When does she spend time with a very hands on child? If she didin't know what the extra chromosome meant before the birth, why didin't she look it up.She is so stupid. Did she really think she could be president and raise a special needs child? What a joke.

June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  10. Sandy

Trig is quite young – wonder what she will say when he is 40 years old. Also, how much time does she actually spend with Trig??

June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  11. Great! God Alimighty

Just think. None of us would have known about Sarah Palin's email had it not been for the media hounds need to know. Imagine what emails would be discovered had the media filed for the same search of other public figures.

June 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  12. Values Voter

I find the whole "Down Syndrome" lifestyle very offensive! IT'S A CHOICE. God doesn't make 'tards, people CHOOSE to be 'tards.

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Jess

I'm pro-Gay and anti-Palin, but that's not cool man. Not cool at all.

June 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  13. Kevin Toliver-Lyons

It actually shows us that she is not a total lunatic. It shows she has heart and that is nice to see but she still does not have the chops to run the country.......

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • eldono

Oh, oh. Sarah is in free fall and trying her best to do damage control. And, a lot of us are buying it? I don't believe this.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
  14. Nico

I can't stand the woman yet I cannot find a single offensive thing about this email aside that it was personal and apparnertly sent from state email, but honestly, who cares even abou that. If you're going to rip[her from limb to limb focus on actual issues that matter, like how she attacks the president for being a socilist even though she re-distributed the wealth of big oil into the pockets of alaskans via the alaska permanent fund...that is an innately socialist policty and action, yet she has the hypocritical audacity to attack democrats for socialism? I wish they were as socilist as her! I wouldhave gotten an extra $3,200 in my bank in 2008 after she paid everyone out for doing what? Absolutely NOTHING. She's a socilist through and through.

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  15. GOPisGreedOverPeople

Religious Right???? That's an oxymoron. Everyone knows republicans don't believe in the teachings of Jesus. You know....the part about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, curing the sick, assisting the elderly, giving to the poor, and taking care of the Earth.

June 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  16. Great! God Alimighty

While some pray to John Maynard Keynes, Ernesto "Che" Guevara, or similar, there is only one God. Unless you are faced with the situation that the Palins faced in knowing they were giving birth to a Down's Syndrome boy and prepared to care for him as long as it takes, detractors would not understanding. Caring for three adopted special needs children, we know exactly what the life-long commitment is that's required. It's not the image portrayed of Sarah Palin by Tina Frey and others.

June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • ceyan

You're right. I'm not understanding.

June 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Great! God Alimighty

Ceyan -

That's okay. I just said a prayer for you for understanding.

June 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • GOD, for real

Hello (taps mic) is this thing on? So, you know Sarah, when I said "this will be a challenge" and "i put him in your life for a reason"? Well, perhaps I should have spelled that out so you could understand. Its evident to me, that since the birth of Trig...you've spent more time with the american people, than your own son. Sadly, thats not the plan I had in mind. Trig needs lots of love, affection, time and attention...and by my records, you're failing in this dept. Thats not to say he isnt loved and well cared for, of course he is. I see you have many resources at your disposal...that is not in question. Your devotion to your son, however is. Sarah Palin, I gave you Trig as a test of choices – your personal desires and ambition, or trig. There's still time to pass this test. Dont fail me Sarah...I believe in you. Please, show you believe in me to.

June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  17. EmmKay

No Palin fan here, but that's a beautiful email. I wish she would quite politics and focus on a career helping other kids like Trig. She'd be amazing in that space.

June 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  18. libert4

I think people should back off. This was a personal email and clearly an effective coping mechanism for Palin and her family. When faced with difficult times, bad news, or frustration we all have different ways to deal with the pain. One of Palin's devices was this email.
    This would be news-worthy if she had sent an email to her supporters "from God" saying they should rally behind her and vote for her. That would make her certifiable, most definitely. This is a harmless grieving tool, and nothing more.

June 16, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  19. Jess

What kind of ego does this woman have to have the audacity to speak for God? Palin is as pathetic as she is dangerous for this country.

June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  20. Stephen

Oh, come on. Sarah Palin is a legitimate sideshow and this writing an email in God's voice is just shenanigins. I think some of this stuff is a test to see how much BS people can be bamboozled by. Palin has nothing to offer the nation; if being a mom is attractive and is her inspiration, please, go back to Alaska, be a mom, and let us not here from her ever again.

June 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Stephen

Palin couldn't possigly do any worse than these nincompoops running us into the ground.

It's eyeopening to see how afraid the left is of Palin. Stalking her for years, hounded and frivolously sued until she had to leave office, attacking the retarded (just read the posts in this thread), scrutinizing her entire life and coming up with nothing but positive behavior.

You shmucks are a poor excuse for a man.

Change your name, it makes me sick just to think that we have the same one.

June 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm |