home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. cf

If Obama had written an email like that, imagine the bashing he would receive from the Right for "thinking he's God"

June 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Maryann

EXACTLY!!!!!!

June 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • Dee

Um, I guess you missed all the reference to 'Savior of America' during the election? You people will twist anything and turn it into something ugly. I'm glad I don't know you personally – I'm sure you're a delight (sarc.).

June 16, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  2. Deborah

I do not hold God accountable for every aspect of my life. God did not make robots. God made humans. God gave us a brain. He is not a dictator. He gave us a wonderful guide to follow and it is called the Bible. He allows us the choice to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and savior or a choice not to. God has given us the freedom to make choices about our lives. Mrs. Palin made her choices and now shares them for all of us to enjoy. She displays her thoughts to millions of people and we to critique what she writes, She has a lot of guts to do that. I wish everyone a productive day and God Bless America and all of our freedoms.

June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Dee

Thank you, Deborah.

June 16, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  3. bud

So this is all that CNN could find? With all the country's problems and injustice to report, CNN chooses to report on this. Way to go CNN. Alabama passes immigration reform and it's a headline for 2 days but Texas does the same thing and I can't find it anywhere on the site. You need your press credentials pulled

June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  4. cf

The story here is still that Sarah Palin took government business that is supposed to be open and available to the public, and moved it to a private email account, effectively denying the citizens of Alaska of an open government and of their right to know. Republicans can crow all day about how nothing very juicy was found or that "the media" and "the liberals" are going after her, but that was never the point of these emails being released in the first place

If Obama (or any other politician) had taken public information and hid it from the public the way Palin has, there would be outrage, criticism, conspiracy theories, and calls to resign from the left, right and center (and rightfully so). But when Sarah Palin does it, we're supposed to treat her with kid gloves and let her get away with it? I don't think so.

June 16, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  5. Amber

While I abhor her politics and fame-whoring, the email was touching and it reminds that people pre-addiction (and fame-whoring/power grabbing is certainly an addition) can have a lot of good that gets overshadow by their later problems.

I have no doubt that Sarah Palin was once a wonderful, caring mother and this email shows a lot of compassion and love. But I think the taste of fame she got during the 2008 race went to her head and put her down an unfortunate path.

June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  6. TEQUILLA LYLES

GO ON AND KEEP THINKING THAT GOD SENDED PALIN THAT LETTER, IF THAT WAS SO TRUE, WHY IS SHE THE ONLY ONE .MOTHER,GRANDMOTHERS,DAUGHTERS GOTTEN A LETTER SHOWNING HOW THEY ARE BLESS FOR ALL THE GLORY THAT GOD HAS GIVING THEM ? NORMAL OR NOT ....SO WHO IS PRETENTING TO DO GOD WORK AND PUTTING GOD NAME ON A SCREEN OR PAPER SHOULD GO TO CHURCH OR WHERE THEY PRAY AND ASK FORGIVEING FOR THERE SINS

June 16, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  7. Military man

C'mon people. This is clearly another publicity act. If you fall for this trick then you're blind as a bat. Don't fall for another Bush wannabe. Vote Obama in 2012, the guy clearly has good intentions for this country. Fixing what Bush did will not happen in one term. The new american generation is now so spoiled that only instant gratifications are entertained. I can promise you that if any republicans become presidents, they will not do a better job than Obama already has. For all I care, these are the same people that are blocking progress for this country. If it does benefit their pockets then its not good enough. Be Informed for once and don't ignore the facts. God bless America.

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Shtakett

Please, take your time and watch this wonderful video on YouTube called "The American War Machine" by Joe Rogan, watch it all, you gonna love it!!!

June 16, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Artist

"Vote Obama in 2012" ummmmmmmmm that probably isn't going to happen. And I am sure as heck not voting a Republican aka Schizophrenic Religo Nut.

June 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  8. Mr. Momin

hahahah Even god is high Tech now. Wonder if he is using iphone vs android. Does he have 4G market there. Who is the company to put towers in the sky. What kind of plan does he have. Ok got to go my phone is ringing with unknown number may be it's him.......

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  9. Kevin G

An email to yourself from yourself but, it is GOD talking? The crazyiness is deafening!

June 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • BRB San Deigo

I wish that we were born in another 100 years, so we could witness a world without religion zealots, bombers for allah, mass prayers, TV preachers, tax deductions for religious groups, etc.

June 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  10. mariella

It is a beautiful email to send to family and friends when expecting a child who is different. it is a private email so regardless of how one may feel about her politically, this is to be respected, set aside and not maligned and used to rip her apart.

June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  11. Santiago

So, why exactly are WE hearing about HER email to herself? I mean really, if this was some thing she did for her family why share it? Why? it's obvious, it's another of her oddball publicity stunts.

This type of thing is really disturbing. I don't know that her judgement can be trusted to handle her own family properly let alone her state and "hell" no to her handling the country, that's for sure.

June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • read more news

Maybe you should read the news a little more. The media requested and got every email she wrote, and they are the ones releasing this stuff, not her. Like her or not, this is the media trying to find something to use agaist her and so far they seem have a whole lot of nothing.

June 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  12. RonPaul2012

People write a lot of poetry and music by inspiration and using the voice of God.
    The Poem about the foot prints in the sand, is that guy a lunitic? no, it was beautiful.
    I find this very refreshing and personal and am sickend, but not surprised that the media put this out there to poke fun at.
    We are all made in the image of God. This email is inspiring and a breath of fresh air. even if CNN and other outlets are trying to make this out to be something it is indeed Not.

June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  13. James Black

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]
    '

June 16, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  14. Bailey630

I think the sentiment was nice, but it reveals just what a hypocrit she is. God new what he was doing when he created my Down Syndrome baby, but he screwed up with all the gay? She's a moron, and has no business running anything! She couldn't even run her household...hello, knocked up teenager! She should take responsability for her family and just focus on raising her other kids.

June 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  15. glyder

some of you people must be dissapointed that no smoking gun has been found. i knew better than to vote dem or republican this past election.both of those clowns are progressives.it is in a progressives nature to lie.number one tool.

June 16, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
  16. Gloria

As someone asked earlier, why was this e-mail sent from her work computer if it was meant to be a personal letter to the family? (Oh, maybe she & the first dude cannot afford a person computer...) Perhaps she loves her children, but she sure doesn't seem to spend much time around them during her attention-getting excursions. Of course, a couple of weeks ago, one of her daughters accompanied her and behaved like the little, bratty, spoiled snot I'm sure her mother was (is) as well.

She is a crazy, dangerous woman, and I hope her "fans" will someday realize that.

June 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  17. Just Say No to WASPs

Where was Jesus when the Syrian government cut that little boy's penis off? Where was God?

June 16, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  18. Davd

If God is so sacred, how can someone take it upon themselves to write as if they were God? But, I guess some people worship the ground Sarah stands on so I guess she can act like God if she wants to.

June 16, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  19. Ray

Dimwit? Yeah – you betcha!

June 16, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Normal American

DimwitRay – Betcha u R

June 16, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
  20. Ray

Seperation of church and state? Hmmmm. A zealot is a zealot no matter what banner they fly.

June 16, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Erik Texas

Hey ray separation of church and state was never meant to shun and keep god out of our lives and out of state. It was meant to protect religion from being persecuted by the government. All of our founding fathers were very strict christians and we were formed as one nation under god whose rights were guaranteed by our creator (god). Zealot or not if thats how you look at it, its the country you were born into and if you dont like it you can always move to mexico?

June 16, 2011 at 5:06 pm |