home
RSS
June 16th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on Sarah Palin's e-mail from God

One theme to emerge in the comments on yesterday's post about Sarah Palin penning an e-mail in God's voice is that a lot of her critics were quite moved by her note:

ckbabs
I am certainly not a Sarah Palin political fan but I thought this email was wonderful. It truly shows that she, as a mother, views her beautiful boy as a blessing and perfect in spite of what society may say. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to hear those words from your doctor and spend months carrying the baby, not knowing just quite what this extra chromosome means. ... She embraced it and shows unconditional love. Truly refreshing. I wish we all could view everyone in the same light regardless of any differences

HealthyMom

I feel exactly the same way. When I see her name in headlines I usually cringe, but this piece of news is actually refreshing!

Lots of others who are not necessarily Palin bashers were also touched:

Laurie
The tears were filling up my eyes as I read this beautiful, thoughtful, loving message to friends and family near and far. As a special education educator – I must give Sarah Palin applause for her loving acceptance of her son as he is and her desire to share this message to all who would be a part of his life. It is with her leading example that she has set the tone for Trig's arrival and what is sure to be his life filled with as many wonderful memories as can be created. Thank you Sarah Palin for sharing this email with the rest of the world – it's a lesson all of humanity must remember.

And there were also plenty of commenters whose Palin loathing was only deepened by the revelation about the new e-mail:

Deity Watching it all
My eyes filled with tears too. About this "inspired lunatic" and her followers ever thinking that she could or should run a country. It would only end up in more "mixed up things down here", and then the big fellow up there would be really pretty puzzled and helpless. Imagine the mess a muddle brain like failin' Palin would create. No creator could clean that up. Well, we know already that he can't but what the hey, even if we pretend he could ...

Russ

OMG, and I use the God part loosely! This woman is even more of a lunatic than I thought. Email from God? Exorcisms? Come on!! And there's people that consider her Presidential. I'd sooner have fruit cake Reagan back and his wife's Astrological guidance to run the country. Like so many of the Bible thumpers, God is your way to deal with your weaknesses and inadequacies. If you have a problem, don't blame yourself, just say it's God's will. Grow up and take responsibility for lives instead of blaming the big magic man in the sky. Geeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!!!!!

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Comments • God • Politics • Sarah Palin • Technology

1. dabein marga

Nutbag wanna be prez but wont be high on crack beeyatch!

June 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Candy

What a HYPOCRITE Palin is!! She writes an email about love and acceptance yet goes hunting and allows baby wolves to be slaughtered in their dens. Apparently, she only loves the little ones if they are her flesh and blood. The double-standard makes me ill. It is hard to imagine how someone with such polarized thinking can rise to a position of power.

June 16, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  2. brony4life

I don't think it means she thinks she is god, she is just being cheesy. She is still a religious nut though.

June 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  3. oldgoat

Now, if she can just develope some emotion and feeling for the homeless and the helpless and stop kissing-up to the rich and powerful and stop bashing everyone who opposes her views she actually, possibly, could gain some understanding.
    Some people think she is dumb- I thimk not, The folks who believe her can be led into anything. (Be careful of the coolaid).

June 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  4. adam

Seemed more about the perception of normal than about god. She used god as an outside observer of humanity to express her views of what is and is not perfect. Maybe Im reading it wrong.

June 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  5. Michelle

I am not a fan of Sarah Palin, and the thought of her as President is laughable at best and terrifying at worst. That said, I read this e-mail as her hope that her friends and family would accept Trig the way she and her husband and children were going to. Nothing more and nothing less. There is a whole other discussion to be had about why something so intensely personal and completely irrelevant to her political intentions was released for the public (yes, I include myself) to feed upon.

June 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Dee

I fail to see how it could be more terrifying that what we have now. Historical debt, failure in foreign relations, and tanking economy. Isn't it about time we had a strong leader for the US again?

June 16, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • CommonSense

Dee is an idiot. What we have now is the best President in years. As far as budget and debt you need to talk to congress about that and the Bush Administration who spent billions on war and unnecessary pork spending. Then talk to the wall street execs and all the other rich white collar people who took government money but hate welfare recipients who do the same thing. But if it makes you feel better its Obama fault although the financial troubles we are in are over a decade in the making we will blame Obama because we are idiots.

June 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  6. Larry Kelly

I was lost for many years and have been recovering for 32 years I walk and talk with God every day. What a beautiful tribute I cried tears of joy.
    Your friend

June 16, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Blasphemy

Larry,

On your next walk and talk with God, be sure and ask him about the whole "blasphemy" thing and how He feels about it. Then be sure and come back and let us all know what He said.

Thanks bud!

June 16, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  7. His...whatever

I wish she would kill herself for the sake of hmanity

June 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • hugh heff

thank you! best comment on here ! #salute

June 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Artist

That is not very nice to say about someone mentally ill.

June 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Michelle

I'm assuming you think you're a better representation of humanity? Hoping for other people's death and all?

June 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Dee

Another mindless comment that has no provocation – public school dropout?

June 16, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Felicitations

I suppose you have mental health issues. Must be hard being you. Sad little nobody.

June 16, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  8. naturechaplain

I have some wonderful friends with Downs. But they are no more "perfect" than you or me. This is worse than sappy patronizing. Perfectionism fits well with the Exceptionalism now preached by our Pastor-Politicians. I've said it before and will say it again, once America becomes Jesusland a majority of us will flee somewhere else until the faithful are taken up by their "Heavenly Father." Then we can return and get back to the true pluralistic, secular state this great country was intended to be.

June 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Dee

M-kay

June 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  9. Beverly

If she ever listened to God she would stop lying every chance she got and either be a serious politician or just go back to Alaska and raise her family. She doesn't appear to be spiritual at all, in my opinion!

June 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  10. Steven Cravis

I'm not a fan of Sarah Palin, but I like that, in this email she was affirming acceptance for her child that the child is a blessing, not a burden, in her and her family's life.

June 16, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  11. GCV

For crying out loud, how much more Sarah Palin news do we need. There is no difference between the news establishment and tabloid trash anymore.

June 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • SOTrue

So True.

June 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • brony4life

this is belief blog, not news. It's just a clusterf*** of idiots, bored atheists, trolls, and trolls trolling trolls

June 16, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • SickOfCNN'sPalinReporting

You said it...

June 16, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  12. There are no gods!

I dont personally see the harm in her writing herself a note as if it is from her imaginary god. Perhaps it was her way of dealing with the unexpected outcome of her pregnancy and probably should not have been left for others to read and comment on. This to me seems like a personal moment that is better left to the person going through the event.

June 16, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  13. Gonzo

I really thought she was kidding thinking to run as President. How a person that she doesn't know anything about national and international policies, general law, common sense, diplomacy, etc, etc, will be thinking in running one of the leader country in the world!!! She's just a good housewife.

June 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Artist

Actually it appears she can't even do that. I think anything beyond walking and wearing a bathing suit is challenging.

June 16, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Dee

Chauvinism makes me sick. Do you really think this is the 1940's?

June 16, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Blasphemy

Yes, Dee. Please return to the kitchen where you belong and keep your mouth shut unless spoken to. ; )

June 16, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  14. matt

CNN, please stop giving free press time to this person.

June 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • James

I can't believe you people. You can't look past yourself or politics for 2 seconds to recognize a sincere, emotional moment of introspection from another human being, as they attempt to make sense of a tough situation.

June 16, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Dee

James, they only want CNN to talk about her when she's being bashed. They can't handle the truth. NOW they don't want to hear it anymore! lol

June 16, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
  15. InformationisKey

Watching Sarah Palin is like watching Forest Gump over and over and over and over. I mean the first time was entertaining now its just plain stupid. This lady would not have a sense of God if he impregnated her with a retarded baby Jesus.

June 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • LostCause

What a horrible person you must me..very sad

June 16, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Dee

If it weren't so sad, it would be laughable at how narrow-minded and cruel some people are. I suggest you find God and let go of the hate.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Felicitations

I agree with LostCause. The amount of decency in you would fit in the period at the end of this sentence. But maybe I'm giving you more than your due.

June 16, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • CommonSense

I am not religious at all but I would say that Dee, LostCause and Felicitations are also retards. Whoever supports Palin and her retarded agenda are just as Mentally Incompetent as her down-syndrome, retard baby. Did you religious fools ever think that Sarah was cursed which is why she has the burden of having an unhealthy baby? I know one thing there is not God in that woman and she is getting what she deserves.

June 16, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  16. Reggie from LA

@Fred said "Seriously, if she's such a crackpot, just leave her be. Fred may very well have something in his comments. Really. Not to be mean spirited at Fred, but people would leave her alone if she would leave our political landscape alone, I assure you. As long as she continues to ask for it by opening her mouth, crackpot that she is, I assure you that she will be criticized.

June 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Dee

"Nobody kicks a dead dog." Quote from a Dale Carnegie book (not sure if it's his). Sarah must be doing something right to have so many supporters and to have loud enemies with no basis to their whining.

June 16, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  17. Oman

I implore you, CNN, to stop promoting everything that Sarah Palin does or says!!! Please, there are more relevant people to cover on the national scene and you do a disservice to everyone by diverting attention away to this self-serving "polibrity"

June 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • richard

Yes Please,no one can find any problem emails with Sarah's emails because she was able to go through them and take out all the ones she did not like and claim executive priveleges. My concern is like many others that Sarah can paint herself a starry eyed mother of good faith . BUt her constant remarks her time in office in Alaska and all of her interviews tell us that she is insipid mean spirited and power hungry. This woman will do or say anything to be in the spot light, making up her own versions of American history and allowing her apologists to sweep up the dirty mistakes . CNN needs to find a new idiot savant.

June 16, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  18. mrhapiguy

Let us not forget that George W. believed God wanted him to be president. Anyone that supposedly knows God's designs is not to be trusted.

June 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Dee

What a hysterical reaction to faith. Pitiful.

June 16, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Blasphemy

Hysterical reaction? So it's cool in your mind for people to think they know what God's plan is? Clean the junk out of your ears before you get on your knees on the Sabboth, shut your mouth, and listen. I'm pretty sure you'd know how wrong it is to think you know God's plan if you had any sense whatsoever. But you don't. So just do us all a favor and shut up.

June 16, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  19. BoDacious01

This shows again that Sarah Palin's talents lay in other places rahter than politics....I never doubted Mrs Palins spiritual attributes and, from this letter, it seems she has a deep connection with God and a wonderful tender heart. I have also been touched in my life by having a brother with physical and mental handicaps. In my experience it changes you and the empathy you have for humanity grows....However, it does not make me a politician and nor get me into the WH.

I appreciate her more but I a won't be fooled again by another oil corporate shill.

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • standingwave

She's tender and sweet unless you're an animal, you disagree with her or you ask her a difficult (for her) question.All I can say then is watch your back.

June 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  20. Roland

There is a word for when anyone begins to speak as if they were "God." .......and no, I was not thinking "candidate."

June 16, 2011 at 5:09 pm |