home
RSS
June 22nd, 2011

Your take: Do gay marriage foes twist the Bible?

Belief Blog's guest post yesterday arguing that gay marriage foes are imposing their own values on the Bible, rather than drawing on genuine biblical truth, fetched over 2,000 comments.

A number of commenters suggested that the writer, a recent Yale Divinity School grad, is an elitist who's out of touch with common interpretations of the Bible:

Carlton
America is so screwed up because so many believe that our answers must come from Ivy League schools? People who are full of pride and arrogance but without any spiritual revelation from God!!! God does not need any assistance, any person, He only desires all of us to believe, agree, comply, and come into alignment with Him!!! Man of God, not a man of the world!!!

Others objected to the piece because they said it defied self-evident truth:

kingnpriest
Another article by a religious person! No wonder none of the disciples, or old testament prophets ever came from a man made school. (as in the school of the prophets in the old testament) This author is missing the entire point of the scripture, and it's not a bunch of rules of can and can't do. It is the very nature of creation....God made them male and female, obviously each designed with certain features that inter-connect! This is how we replenish the earth, as commanded by God. Without that union, there would be no replenishment. Anything other than this is considered out of order. Jesus even said when a man gets married, he leaves his parents and cleaves to his wife. Religious people need to have a true conversion and revelation of the truth! JOHN 14:6 Be Born Again

fred
Dudley misquoted the Bible and turned the truth into a lie. Most people reading his post really don’t care that Dudley lied about what the bible says. Being a “graduate of Yale divinity” we must assume he did this on purpose. So we know he is intentionally trying to lead Christians in the wrong direction or simply attack their belief system. Always question someone who spouts the bible to support or oppose a position that common sense tells you would offend a Holy God. Do not forget this is a holiness so pure that even Moses and Abraham could not look directly on God. This is pure goodness perfected, none are greater or more holy than God. Now put your stuff before a holy God and if He were to wink at your nonsense justifications for your behavior you can bet it is not God.

Some commenters expressed real ambivalence over the issue of homosexuality and the Bible:

Texan
The gay person is my brother or sister...just as anyone else is. I'm asking my self on this issue is there a compromise that allows me to follow my beliefs to love God and love my neighbor as my self. I might be for civil unions but not marriage at this point.

If I were a gay person, I would want to be treated "well", but I don't believe that means everyone has to agree with me.

And, as per usual, a large swath of commenters used the post to make a larger argument against religion:

Bryan
Christianity was pushed on me as a child. I was able to learn about morality and ethics in and outside of church and I am grateful for what I learned in the church. However, being forced into a relationship with God as a child and seeing the hypocrisy rampant in the church all burned me to extent that I stopped going to church. I realized I only believed in God because I was told to and out of fear for the repercussions of going against the grain, not out of a true love for God. The church can be a great place for some kids, but it can be hell for others. Is it possible that a place that preaches love and kindness could produce friction and make situations for some even worse? Yeah. it did for me, but I'm stronger now that I have learned to do something I wasn't taught in church: think for myself.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Homosexuality • Opinion

1. Jim

Wow, I guess her position on the authority and timeless truths of the Bible is clear.

October 6, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  2. DDS>YDS

this interview is proof that reporters know nothing about religion.

October 4, 2011 at 9:51 pm |
  3. Frank

On of the reasons this country was started was to escape the religious tyranny which was in place in the UK at the time. They didn't want to be forced into a particular religious belief (most notably, the church of England started by Henry the VIII). Why then, should everyone in the U.S. have a particular brand of Christianity (or any other religion for that matter) foisted upon them? Who chooses this brand? How about we have the belief's of Christian Scientists made into federal law? Then we can ban, organ transplants, blood transfusions, and all drugs. Would those who profess Christianity like to have that particular brand of Christianity forced upon them by federal law? I believe in God/Jesus and think we should let others choose their own path, err on the side of caution and love everyone, feed/clothe the poor, heal the sick – just like Jesus would do. Gay people getting married does not effect anyone else's lives in anyway whatsoever.

July 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • askduane

The Truth is you Can apply bible principles in 2011.

July 28, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Mattie

Finally somebody who remembers that this is supposed to be a country founded on FREEDOM OF RELIGION!! Why are we outlawing things because God says that it's wrong. People should learn to think for themselves and not rely on a text that was written thousands of years ago to govern their lives and consequently the lives of others. Marriage may be a "Christian" tradition, but it is the only way to be recognized as a couple, the same way as a man and woman would be.

August 13, 2011 at 3:15 am |
  4. JayGee

Are there any non-religious people out there reading this that don't feel the need to belittle others for their beliefs? Are there any non-religious people, like myself, who don't feel it's polite, proper, or appropriate to call other peoples' religions their fairy tale, fantasy, or make-believe story?

Look, If those of us who believe in equality for gay rights want to have any chance at having a mutual understanding and peace, why do many of us non-religious people show the same ignorance that we despise?

We need to be kind, open-minded, and tolerant, even if we don't agree with their religion. Isn't this what we want in return? For them to at least tolerate our gay brothers and sisters?

We can't get anywhere if all each side does is keep fighting. We need to practice tolerance first. Why can't those on my side of the fence (those who aren't religious) at least try to take the high road and see that showing anger and hatred towards someone for their religious orientation is doing exactly what we don't to see?

Sometimes I feel like I am the only person who isn't religious and that doesn't despise Christianity/other organized religions. I would love nothing more than to meet others who feel the same so that our conversations can consist more of hatred of other peoples' religion. To each his own...

July 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Mattie

I believe that topics should be debated with tolerance and open-mindedness. Not everyone should see things the same way, it would be a dull world indeed, but I think that we should respect what this country was made for and not limit people's freedom because of religious beliefs.

August 13, 2011 at 3:20 am |
  5. hippypoet

god is not real, go forth and fuc who you wish my gay friends!

July 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  6. followerofjesus

I want to add:
    It would be beautiful if instead of fighting against gay-rights laws all people who say they love Jesus would love gays like Jesus loved. Be good neighbors to them. Tell them it is wrong like God has said, but always love and be kind. That I would be more powerful in changing people than fighting in courts of law. That only breeds hatred and more problems. Jesus would not have done that. Can we live like Jesus did? It seems to me we Christians have failed to live like Jesus and are more at fault than we want to admit. Me included. It seems we owe the world an apology. God help us!

July 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  7. followerofjesus

God has already spoken a clear "no" about whether HE is ok with gay lifestyle. Just the same as He has spoken a clear "no" to hatred, adultery, lying, ect. He loves people who choose to disobey Him, and always invites them to change and be His friend, just like we are to love and show kindness even if people choose to do wrong. That doesn't mean we shouldn't lovningly tell them what God has said. That is showing love to protect someone from doing wrong. Makig laws against it won't change anyone's heart about it. It is sad that people make wrong choices, but no law can make people want to be different, or stop wanting to do wrong things. That is why Jesus came. To change our hearts to love instead of hatred. From lust to pure love. From anger to forgiveness. If you are a Christian, let's try to live like Jesus did.

July 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Duh

"God has already spoken a clear "no" about whether HE is ok with gay lifestyle. "

No he doesn't what he is saying no to is using sex to worship a pagan god, rape and adultery. No where in the bible does your god condemn the saved loving partnership of a gay couple.

November 1, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  8. jatrayu

There is nothing to twist..

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination

July 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Lois

I agree!

July 6, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • LinCA

@jatrayu, Lois

If you choose to follow that rag, better not marry someone of the same sex then.

July 6, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  9. Lois

Given the response to this topic, it would be appropriate for the Editors to have someone present the viewpoint of those who support traditional marriage. In sharing his opinion, Mr. Dudley has misrepresented and distorted the views of people like myself who are in favor of marriage being defined as a union between one man and one woman.

July 4, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Jack Stacey

It's easy to say he's misrepresented your views and then give no evidence whatsoever to support that conclusion.

July 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • LinCA

@Lois

You are free, and always have been, to not marry someone of the same sex.

July 6, 2011 at 12:24 am |