home
RSS
June 24th, 2011

Yoga in Times Square

CNN Photojournalist Frank Bivona brings us this story about a huge group of people who found some serenity in Times Square to celebrate the summer solstice by practicing yoga.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Faith & Health • New York • United States • Yoga

1. Ewa Zeljazkow

This was one Incredible Day !!! Many thnaks go out to Frank Bivona from CNN .Thank you for the priceless Interview.I really Loved segment part how you edited Celebration of the Sun ( me Ewa Zeljazkow Doing Radiant Warrior Pose reaching towards the sun ).Perfectly Cut :).Also the Interview it's self .The whole segment was done with perfection.Thank you again Frank and CNN !!!

July 11, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  2. Mike

June 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  3. Zelda

Americans were better-looking when they didn't practice yoga.

June 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Ghân-buri-Ghân

You like fat people? Just wait until one of them steps on your foot and breaks it in four places.
      Fat is not beautiful unless you have a strange yearning for bean-bag chairs.

June 28, 2011 at 3:42 am |
    • Zelda

Americans were not fat until like in 70's. And it's around that time they started yoga. What has happened?

June 28, 2011 at 6:50 am |
  4. GSA

Yoga is great. Whether for religious purposes, spiritual purposes or in my case for stretching/breathing and keeping the body feeling good and limber for sports.
    @Angry Hillbilly – agreed, love the lulu lemons ladies, thank you.

June 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  5. dhyana

we all tend to fear what we do not know - rather than take someone else's word for it explore for yourself - take a yoga class at the Y or the local yoga studio - tune into your own experience - your own feelings - yoga is NOT a religious practice and never has been - it is a process of yoking (yoga means to yoke or to join) body and mind - when body and mind are integrated we experience the NOW - peace - and that leads the to experience of ONEness - we are all connected - I am you, you are me - be love my loves - be love....

June 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  6. Frogist

I LOVE this group! I've been to a couple of their events and it's always fun. I wish I could have gone to this one.

I have never felt more relaxed and grounded and just focused as when I was doing yoga daily. For me it is different from doing other types of exercise because it's about training your mind to hone in on the thing you are doing right now, rather than be distracted by the mult!tude of things going on around you. It is not easy to reach that perfect calm, but it is so rewarding.

I genuinely do not understand the controversy over yoga. You do not have to put any specific religious focus into it unless that's something you want to do. Quite frankly anyone who objects to it on religious grounds is just paranoid IMO.

June 24, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Stevie7

The Catholic church strongly cautions against any sort of practice that is used in other religions. This applies even if, when doing such things, the catholic only participates for health and wellness reasons and doesn't identify at all with the spiritual aspect. Ironic, though, that every catholic church I've ever been to around the winter solstice always has a christmas tree displayed.

June 24, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • David Johnson

@Stevie7

Pat Robertson is also against Yoga:

A concerned viewer asked, "Does it really have its origins in evil?" Pat Robertson gave the verdict: Yes! According to Pat, stretching is fine, but by repeating common yoga mantras, you are actually praying to Hindu gods Vishnu and Krishna and you're not even aware of it Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.../pat-robertson-not-down-wi_n_74527.html

Cheers!

June 24, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • HotAirAce

If the rcc or Pat Robertson are against it, I'm probably for it! :^))

June 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Frogist

Hey -CK...!

I like yoga too, and certainly recognize some of the benefits.

I gotta' tell ya' though, when I first saw the 'picture' above...my first thought was..."Yoga–Flash Mob" !!!! :D LOL !!

Hope you're well, my friend.

Regards,

Peace...

June 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Frogist

@Peace2All: Hey SM! I'm doing well. Hope you're well too. Better than well!
      Now that you mention it, it does have that flash mob feel! You should see their Times Square Kiss In. My husband and I went last year. It's like a make-out flash mob!

June 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Frogist

@DJ and Stevie7: Yes, I was thinking of the Pat Robertson fooferah. I didn't know Catholics were yoga-wary as well.

June 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  7. Angry Hillbilly

I may be agnostic, but thank god for yoga pants.

June 24, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • Manifold Density

lol

June 25, 2011 at 2:31 am |
  8. ....

Don't bother watching this garbage, click the report abuse link so we can get rid of it.

June 24, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  9. HotAirAce

Why Is this garbage?

June 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  10. At Peace

Yoga is not a religion. Why do you make such mean spirited comments. Yoga makes people peaceful. What is wrong with that?

June 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm |