home
RSS
Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD
July 5th, 2011

Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD

By Liane Membis, CNN

There’s a new set of housewives on the block.

These women aren’t whining about fashion faux pas and socialite misgivings. Their stories are cast somewhere between the books of Genesis and Revelation.

Ty Adams, a web-based evangelist and author, is producing “The Real Housewives of the Bible,” a two-part DVD series that tracks six women dealing with the ups and downs of marriage as they strive to be good wives.

Adams said that “outrageous reality shows” like Bravo’s “The Real Housewives” series and VH1’s “Basketball Wives” inspired her to create a more wholesome version of the franchise.

“I was frustrated with what I was seeing,” she said. “A lot of society is looking towards programming to educate them on relationships and these shows haven’t effectively done that.”

“They have ruined and tainted our ability to secure good relationships and to make women into good wives,” said Adams, who is based in Detroit.

Adams has provided Christian relationship advice for nearly ten years, since she founded a production company called Heaven Enterprises in 2002. She’s the author of Single, Saved and Having Sex, has produced religious DVDs and plays and offers sex and relationship advice through a web-based column called “Ask Ty.”

Adams says the goal of her “Real Housewives” DVD, due out later this month, is helping women juxtapose real-life issues with Christian teaching. She says that teaching includes women’s obligation to attempt to sustain relationships that have endured extra-marital affairs and other hardships.

“Because we live in a media-driven society, telling these age-old stories of adultery, loneliness and longing through entertainment helps women relate,” Adams said.

Each character on the show represents a different woman from the Bible. A character based on the biblical Sarah struggles with infertility. (The biblical Sarah was barren until she reached old age).

Gold-digging women are likened to Delilah from the Book of Judges, who seduced and deceived Samson - who'd fallen in love with her - through repetitious requests.

And the show features plenty of Jezebels.

“Many single women can get a man but they can’t keep a man,” Adams said. “So many singles have been in girlfriend status for so long that they only understand that mentality. They don’t know what it takes to be a good wife in order to sustain a relationship and some parts of society promotes that.”

- Liane Membis

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Entertainment

1. acipotle

How is that war against h0m0sekxuals going? having fun yet? batten down the hatches, it is just beginning!

July 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  2. Lettuce Prey

From many comments, it seems like there are quite a few non-believers or non-Christians that click on these Belief Blog articles just to express their disdain for believers. Is that really necessary? I'm an atheist myself, but since more than 90% of the human beings on this planet believe in god in one form or another, who am I to tell someone that they are stupid to believe? Even if I think it's fairy story, that's no reason to scold a believer. Many intelligent people believe, even many scientists. Can't we manage to disagree without the name calling?

There are just as many Christian commenting here about how us non-believers "will find out the truth someday, hope it's no too late" and such like. There are many prideful Christians commenting here, and I would like to remind them that pride is one of the seven deadlies.

The only time I take exception to someone's religious beliefs is when they try to enact laws by which I must abide that correspond with the tenets of their faith. That's just wrong.

July 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • You Guys Are Really Crazy

Thank you! That is what I was trying to say in so many words. I, as a Christian, do not like judgmental Christians either. That's not the point of Christianity. Those who are judging nonbelievers are wrong because there is only One judge in our belief. I have degrees and enjoy discussing scientific theories as much as the next person. But it doesn't have to be one or the other...you can be educated and a believer and you can be a dumb nonbeliever. Point is, we should be able to discuss our differences without the name calling and hate.

July 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  3. Jackie Rose

I hope they won't forget Queen Esther...the original Cinderella!

July 6, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  4. Lettuce Prey

Ty Adams states that she's producing this DVD set "to make women into good wives" - will there ever be a companion DVD set for making men into good husbands? She says it will help women "to attempt to sustain relationships that have endured extra-marital affairs and other hardships" - what's the cheation husbands role in that process? Or does Ms. Adams believe the burden of sustaining a marriage rests solely on the shoulders of the wife?

What really makes me chuckle over this entire concept is when she states "Many single women can get a man but they can’t keep a man." I have news for Ms. Adams: some of us single women neither want nor need to "keep a man." Let him take care of himself!

July 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • MCP

Amen, sister! Pun intended!

July 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • AH

Agreed!

July 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Frogist

@Lettuce Prey: It's equally offensive to assume that men by and large are going to cheat on their wives. And what if the wife cheats? Any advice for the men? You know... besides stoning. Lots of gender stereotypes being set up by Ty.

July 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  5. Herb Trotter

I am a Christian... I am appalled by some of these comment's...angry really...and why do non-christian's think that because they have a right to say what"s on their just plain dumb, rant raving mind's it is some-how o.k....well the FOOL has said in his heart....to all you vile spewing lost souls...take that garbage straight to the pit that ur headed to!!!

July 6, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Colin

Herb, as I said below, refusing to believe in your god does not make an atheist "hateful" and robust debate is the very purpose of this blog Again, you will find that most atheists have an almost identical moral code to mainstream Christians – in terms of ot stealing, killing, being kind to one's neighbor etc.

Where we tend to part company is (i) we do not believe the supernatural elements of your belief – a "god" who created and controls the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, this god reading your mind (or "hearing your prayers" as you christinas put it) people living happilly ever after in heaven etc; and (ii) we oppose your passing laws or otherwise seeking to curtail the behaviour of non-believers based on these superst.itious notions. See my post below.

July 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • amy

Dear Herb,

Who's spouting vile, hateful, fodder now?

Love,
      Jesus

July 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  6. Stacey

What a hateful bunch of unbelievers you are! Christians are just human beings like you with the same failings and faults, we just believe that the Bible is the Word of the one, true God. I wish that we were all truly like the Christ we follow, but He is the only human who has ever lived a completely pure, loving life.

I am encouraged to hear of a show like this that shows people trying to live their lives by a moral code. The mean-spirited, self-obsessed nature of the other "Real Housewives of . . " is good example for who? Do you want your daughters, wives, girlfriends to be emulating these horrible women?

Quit hating the Christians and look into the message He delivered in His words and actions. You may find that you want to follow Him, too.

July 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • amy

i don't think that the real housewives shows are meant for anything other than entertainment. and to show that trash lives anywhere. anyone thinking the women on these shows are meant as good examples is failing to realize they are on "Bravo" which is what you say at the end of an entertaining show.

July 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Colin

Stacey, refusing to believe in your god does not make an atheist "hateful". In fact, you will find that most atheists have an almost identical moral code to mainstream Christians – in terms of ot stealing, killing, being kind to one's neighbor etc.

July 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • amy

we non-believers aren't haters. It's just that we haven't heard about any shows in the works called "Jesus's Apprentice" or anything like that. It's pretty apalling the thought that women need to be coached on how to be real godly women. People who have faith already know how to do that. As far as a woman having a girlfriend mindset that needs to be changed to the mindset of wife. That's even more ridiculous.

July 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Artist

Stacey – Because people do not worship a dead delusional man, does not mean people hate christians. People believe in different myths and fairytales as well. Because you put your faith in man do not expect others to do so. Some see salvation, others see a con job.

July 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  7. Erin

Surprised she hasn't been hit with a very real cease and desist by Bravo.

July 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  8. OpenMind

The biggest Joke in the history is Religion. Yet people still fall for it.

July 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  9. Tom Lipscomb

Ty Adams’ “How To Date...With Your Clothes On” is my favorite. I suggest that both partners have zippers.

July 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  10. You Guys Are Really Crazy

I come here all the time and am appalled by the amount of hate on here for different religious beliefs. I am a Christian, but that doesn't mean I am going to go talk mess about non-believers. I am also not going to sit here and defend my beliefs to people who have no idea where I've been or how far I've come. You can choose to believe that you are in control of all of your actions and I can choose to believe my God is in control of my life, but aren't we supposed to be "free" to believe what we want. Why so much hate? GEEZ! Oh and me saying I'm going to pray for you is not a threat...it's not something that's bad, think of it as wishing well thoughts on your soul.

July 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Frogist

@You Guys Are All Crazy:
      I won't consider it a threat unless you use it as a threat. There is a difference between praying to wish someone well and praying to have your god convert them or smite them or prayer as a show of smug superiority. One is a genuine wish of kindness, the next an act of enmity, the last an act of arrogance.
      Would you want a non-believer to say how many degrees they have and then tell you to go back to school until you learned some logic? No. It's basically the same thing.

July 6, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Marilyn

Amen, Frogist.

July 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • You Guys Are Really Crazy

@Frogist, don't bucket all Christians into the smug category. There is nothing smug about any of my prayers, only the most sincere thoughts and well wishes. I do pray that nonbelievers are saved, because that is my belief. But I will not ever talk down on anyone who doesn't believe what I do. I have many atheist friends and we have thought provoking discussions about all of our beliefs, but at the end of the day we walk away with nothing but respect for each other and a better understanding of where the other side is coming from. Oh, and you can be logical and educated and STILL believe.

July 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Colin

@You Guys. To be honest, saying you will "pray for someone" who is an atheist is a bit presumptive and – to our way of thinking, childish. We do not think anything is there reading your mind (or "hearing your prayers" as you put it) and you believe a being powerful enough to create the entire Universe does read your mind. Can you see why we might think that is a somewhat uneducated view?

July 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Frogist

@You Guys Are Crazy:
      I did not "bucket" all Christians in the smug category. I made some pretty clear distinctions of how Christians have chosen to use the phrase "I'll pray for you." Some of those are pretty repugnant.
      You say praying to convert others is just part of your faith. At least you're willing to admit that you pray for that. But I'm sure you would be very upset to hear a non-believer use the phrase at the end of my last post. You would not want them to say that to you. So maybe recognising you should do unto others as you would have them do unto you, you could refrain from using "I'll pray for you" as a means of expressing how much you want your God to step in and eradicate the mindful thoughts non-believers have which are not harmful to you in anyway. I'm not of course asking you to stop praying for that. I'm just saying stop using that phrase to tell non-believers that. It is rude. Just as rude as you would consider me telling you to "Go back to school."
      Also stop putting words in my mouth. I am well aware that people can be educated, sane and still be believers.

July 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  11. NJ Bob

Oh please, haven't we had enough of this religious crap? Leave it to Christians to take a stupid idea and make it even more stupid.

July 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  12. Colin

I wonder if they will have the women (i) sleep in a red tent while they are in their periods of "unclean"; (ii) rap.ed by invading armies if they are virgins or killed by them if they are not; (iii) thrown to a mob to be gang rap.ed to save a house guest; (iv) suffer father daughter incest at the hands of drunken old men; (v) treated generally as glorifies $ex and domestic slaves and second class citizens – all like the Bbible tells us women should be treated – complete with examples.

You know, when you set your social views down in writing in a book of "unchangeable truths" before the Dark Ages, you kind of set yourself up to be shown as a fool as the moral zeitgeist changes, don't you?

I'm sorry, but conservative Christians really are just plain dumb. There is no way around it

July 6, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • amy

like, like, like....

July 6, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Enough Already!

Colin- have you ever read the Bible? Have you ever studied it or read any commentaries about it? If you educated yourself, you would know that the assumptions you think the Bible makes about women are the reflection of the culture of the time, not how God views women. Women are revered and respected by Jesus and his followers. If you're going to be hateful, at least learn something before spouting assumptions and lies. And yes, a lot of conservative Christians need that advice as well.

July 8, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  13. kym

kym

Why is it that non believers always mock Christians...I am not shoving my beliefs down your throat, I am not telling you who to sleep with, I am not dismissing your beliefs with a mocking spirit, but yet you do it to me. Yes, their are some believers who go overboard, but that is with every group that is passionate about what they believe in. I am Christian and I am excited that this Real Wives of the Bible is coming out on DVD. I have the book and it will be interesting to see their take on it. Because I am excited is no reason for you to dismiss, mock, or disparage my beliefs. God Bless

July 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Colin

Kym, see my post above. The reason is you want to base 21st Century social policy on a collection of Bronze Age myths from the Middle East. It is silly, superst.itious nonsense. It would be harmless foolery if Christians weren't constantly trying to force the rest of us to live according to their beliefs but they do – hence we oppose it.

Examples include – (i) a woman's right to choose; use of condoms and other contraceptives; (ii) basic $ex education for teens; (iii) teaching evolution in school; (iv) assisted suicide; (v) gay marriage; (vi) treating drug abuse as principally a medical issue; (vii) population control; and (viii) buying alcohol on a Sunday.

In each of the above issues, Christians want to tell non-Christians what we must do based on the supposed wishes of your hokey sky-fairy. I am sorry, but I will oppose that at every level – he most important of which is pointing out the sheer absurdity of your beliefs in public forums such as this, so as to weaken the underlying impetus for such draconian views.

July 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • acipotle

*.I am not shoving my beliefs down your throat, I am not telling you who to sleep with, I am not dismissing your beliefs with a mocking spirit, *

sure you are..you people have been trying to tell people how to live/who to sleep with/what to believe and killing those you disagree with for a couple of thousand years...now that the majority of people have woken up, they are feedin it back to you. How does it taste? Try not to gag..

July 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  14. kym

July 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  15. Mitchell Moore

"you missed the point: God did not cause Hitler's BEHAVIOR. He allowed it to happen for His purpose."

Huh?!!! God "allowed" the obliteration of 7 million Jews for WHAT purpose? I love the way Christians constantly give God a free pass for whatever horror he "allows". Well, at least Israel is still standing!

July 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  16. Jenn

WOW to Achepotle.....clowns.....that is very harsh. There will be a time when you are gonna believe in God....I just hope it is not too late for you.

July 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
    • Ian

I always take comfort in how when you christians "hope" we find god it comes off as a threat.

July 6, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Free

Why does it always boil down to fear? The old "Believe as I do, or you'll be sorry!" Tell me, is that what convinced you of the truth of God?

July 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Allah

Blow me bible thumper....Allah Akbar!!! Instead of this trope you could just watch FauxNews...same agenda and same bat-guano crazy life style with no accuracy or honesty...Allah Akbat!!!

July 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • bploten

In the meantime, keep up the good work!....Crying Jimmy Swaggart and that fat guy that did Obama's inauguration and all those guys who hate on gaees, then do ice and male `message therapists`, and the your "Creati0nism Museums`...oh, and the one`s who believe in some golden book that was buried in upstate New York...you folks are too precious!...I`ll at least thank your g0d for giving us a good laugh while I was alive.

July 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Alyn

Schadenfreude much? How very Jesus-like...

July 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Erin

Nope, there won't ever be a time I believe in god. That passed around the same time as Santa Clause. Actually, I held onto the Santa one far longer than that god nonsense.

July 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  17. carmen

sick.
    fairy tales written by goat herders.

July 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Free

Funny thing is that many of the traditional stories about the Greek gods likely originated amongst their goat herders and other folk, but Christians have no problem with dismissing all of them as being pure myth. That's like saying that Beowulf is obviously historical while King Arthur is obviously just a legend.

July 6, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • SmarterthanU

And rewritten and rewritten and retranslated and re edited always with the interest of the rewriter in mind. Ask these thumpers who insist we all live our lives based on 2000 year old mumbo jumbo if they would let their surgeon operate on them according to even a 30 year old textbook. I want my doctor to be current on everything up to the minute but, I will live my life based on some nonsense people came up with 2000 years ago. Religion is mass lunacy that relies on brainwashing each generation.

July 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Free
      I often try to draw paralells between Beowulf and the Bible.
      Both are historical doc.uments in the sense that they reveal the atti.tudes and mindsets of the cultures that produced them.
      But just as there aren't any Grendels in real life, there aren't any Easter Zombies either.
      Though the Grendel is arguably more believeable a monster than the 7 headed dragon in Revelation!

July 6, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  18. Ian

LOL@ real housewives of the bible... especially since the bible is NOT real

July 6, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • OpenMind

LOL..That was funny. Good one Ian.

July 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  19. bachmanntwit

Michele Bachmann believes that Auschwitz is a resort for nudist teabaggers.

July 6, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Allah

Bachmann and Palin = Dumb and Dumber!!! Both are the shame of the country and anybody voting for them is in support of terrorism and lies. If you say otherwise god will eat your soul crybabies.

July 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • eldercurt

Oh, that's REAL smart, bachmanntwit. I doubt if you know what youm believe, let alone Michelle Bachmann. Funny thing is, you probably think of yourself as open-minded!

August 2, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  20. Achepotle

Lol...what would we do without Christians...they are like professional wrestlers with thier evangelests and cute "creationism" views and obsession with gaee secks.......entertain us, clowns! Dance for us or something!

July 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm |