home
RSS
Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD
July 5th, 2011

Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD

By Liane Membis, CNN

There’s a new set of housewives on the block.

These women aren’t whining about fashion faux pas and socialite misgivings. Their stories are cast somewhere between the books of Genesis and Revelation.

Ty Adams, a web-based evangelist and author, is producing “The Real Housewives of the Bible,” a two-part DVD series that tracks six women dealing with the ups and downs of marriage as they strive to be good wives.

Adams said that “outrageous reality shows” like Bravo’s “The Real Housewives” series and VH1’s “Basketball Wives” inspired her to create a more wholesome version of the franchise.

“I was frustrated with what I was seeing,” she said. “A lot of society is looking towards programming to educate them on relationships and these shows haven’t effectively done that.”

“They have ruined and tainted our ability to secure good relationships and to make women into good wives,” said Adams, who is based in Detroit.

Adams has provided Christian relationship advice for nearly ten years, since she founded a production company called Heaven Enterprises in 2002. She’s the author of Single, Saved and Having Sex, has produced religious DVDs and plays and offers sex and relationship advice through a web-based column called “Ask Ty.”

Adams says the goal of her “Real Housewives” DVD, due out later this month, is helping women juxtapose real-life issues with Christian teaching. She says that teaching includes women’s obligation to attempt to sustain relationships that have endured extra-marital affairs and other hardships.

“Because we live in a media-driven society, telling these age-old stories of adultery, loneliness and longing through entertainment helps women relate,” Adams said.

Each character on the show represents a different woman from the Bible. A character based on the biblical Sarah struggles with infertility. (The biblical Sarah was barren until she reached old age).

Gold-digging women are likened to Delilah from the Book of Judges, who seduced and deceived Samson - who'd fallen in love with her - through repetitious requests.

And the show features plenty of Jezebels.

“Many single women can get a man but they can’t keep a man,” Adams said. “So many singles have been in girlfriend status for so long that they only understand that mentality. They don’t know what it takes to be a good wife in order to sustain a relationship and some parts of society promotes that.”

- Liane Membis

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Entertainment

1. Larry

Will Lot's wife be one of the women featured? She could teach people the dangers of ... turning around.

July 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  2. Josh

"A character based on the biblical Sarah struggles with infertility."

But I bet she doesn't offer her handmaid to her husband as his second wife!

July 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Bible Bob, Knight of the Infallallibable

That's in the Bible, so that is what infertile women must do!

July 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  3. PAUL

sounds like a real payday, a cool several million

July 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  4. bubba

What if this article is a sham meant to expose ugly people. If you don't have anything positive to contribute.. 'Shut the f–k up'

July 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  5. AC

It amazes me how little so many posters know about what they are talking about. Perhaps they stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night? I think it is even worse with articles dealing with religion, because everyone thinks they're an expert. Case in point–I've counted at least 5 posts here that essentially say, "what makes these women perfect?" in one form or another, before going on to educate us all on how their brand of intellect is superior, or hitting us with a "can't we all get along?" label.
    The answer to that first question, though, is "none of them are perfect." If you subscribe to Christianity, then there has only ever been one perfect human, and there will never be another. No one can even come close. If you don't subscribe to Christianity and you say, "those Christians aren't perfect, so it's flawed," then you've completely misunderstood the lesson. Completely.
    As for the Bible–it is about people going through very hard trials, and how they deal with those trials. The New Testament deals with how to relate with one another without having to annihilate each other. Regardless, I've never heard a real, dyed-in-the-wool historian ever refer to it as "fiction." Anyone who does clearly hasn't read past Genesis, or isn't a life insurance salesman (and if you understand that relationship, hats off to you!).

July 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • glyder

agreed.but this is still a continuation of crappy tv.too many channels i guess.and too many folks want thier 15 minutes of fame.crrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaap!we are rome.

July 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  6. dawn

Well, I'd like to see more programming that promotes a less promiscuous, back stabbing ideal, but I don't think it necessarily has to be Christian. Though I am a christian. Thanks for wanting me dead and thinking I'm dumb people. So nice. Don't you think people believe what they believe based on a variety of experiences during their lives. There are plenty of people that do evil in and out of religion. If they didn't twist their religion and use it for a purpose of evil it wouldn't they just use something els. They're evil to begin with. People like myself are Christian 'cause that's how we feel in our heart. I knew the love of all the kind people in my church as I was growing up. Old folks, young folks, and poor folks all trying to help each other through life. Of course the idea of God seems totally impossible but can't you respect people who follow their heart? You make it sound like Christians are all wishy washy idiots who believe everything they hear. You have to take everything with a grain of salt and not listen to the way humans want to pervert things. The belief in God is just something that is there with me but I do have the good sense to not judge others who do not believe, nor do I judge others for their lifestyle. Any one of us could be judged up and down and there would be a million faults. Why do you judge me so harshly when I do not do the same to you?

July 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • JaniceB

Amen, Dawn! The biggest Bible bashers never even read the book....and it is 2011 now, so numbered because it's based on Biblical time frames. Keep fighting the good fight. There aren't many of us on "The Narrow Road". That's why God knew it would be narrow...

July 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Frogist

@dawn: You seem to be a nice, sane tolerant person. But as you can clearly see from reading a number of these posts, JaniceB's included, you will recognise that not every Christian believes in tolerance and 'live and let live' like you seem to. These folks need to be reminded of people like you who care enough about respect for each other that they refrain from judging.

July 6, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  7. Henry

So did she start from the premise that the original shows were terrible sight unseen or is she one of those people who had to watch every episode of the shows because they were ungodly?

July 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  8. Tisha

Besides, their are "Christians" on the show, RHOC has the esteemed Alexis, she seems to be pretty accurate representation of a good christian housewife to me.........very submissive and she can barely regurgitate her weekly bible lessons...

July 5, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  9. Charles

It would be funny to survey the fans of the non-Christian real housewives show to find out where they stand on faith. I suspect that the fans of these reality shows would claim to be amongst the most devout in the U.S.

July 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
  10. Hazel

So where's all the "sandwich" jokes? Or is that no longer a current meme?

July 5, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  11. The Ole Bullsh!t Detector Is Going Off Again

"Real" characters "based on different women from the Bible."

Heaven Enterprises. Single, Saved and Having S-ex. Ty's reading of the Bible is VERY selective, isn't it.

Biblical "teaching includes women’s obligation to attempt to sustain relationships that have endured extra-marital affairs and other hardships." Yes, Ty and Christianity wants you to be a victim all your life.

A woman digging gold from someone else's series will teach you about the evils of gold-diggers.

I wonder if the lawyers from the Real Housewifes franchise are going to sue her for plagerism?

July 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • jason

"making them into good wives"

ya nothing like a life of servitude to make you feel empowered. Great role models these women would make . "just shut up and do what your husband wants like a good wife"

July 5, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • DAISHI

@jason Consider the converse. Making men into good husbands. Now back to the original, making women into good wives. Would we rather be bad husbands and wives to one another?

July 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Fire and Brimstone and Gnashing Teeth and Other Forms of Love

It's funny how the Old Testament applies when Christians want it too and doesn't when it's inconvenient.

July 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • US Patriot

Foolish comments... you think you know what you are talking about, but in truth, you have taken it all out of context... do some real studying then come back.

July 5, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • glyder

no they won't sue.never know when one of them has to be a guest.all crap winds up in the same place.

July 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Frogist

@DAISHI: It's an unfair comparison to simply flip the gender and think it's all equal because you have left out any historical, societal or environmental context. Being a good wife has been and is still used as a means of reminding women of their place in the home, submissive and pregnant as is her defined role (esp according to religion). Being a good husband does not carry the societal pressures of being secondary, obeying or irrelevant except regards child-bearing. Being a good husband means being successful enough by whatever means necesssary to be a provider. The two "roles" are far from equal.

July 6, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  12. Franz

Hmmmm, does anyone besides me think it's ironic that a man created this show?

July 5, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Jpdag

Ummm... didn't the story say it was a woman?

July 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Bob

The producer is the black woman in the picture.

July 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • The Guy

You're missing the point – man vs. god, not man vs. woman.

July 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  13. Franz

and this show is supposed to reform this view, how?.........Here's an idea, since your nanny is taking care of your kids, get a job like most mothers are doing in this country. I'm the middle of nine, my mom didn't have time for being trite.....

July 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Frogist

@Franz: Ty Adams is an author, the host of her own relationship show and the one who thought up the concept for the DVD series... I think she has a job.

July 6, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  14. ID10T

Leave it up to the religous folks to try to make a business out of something else religious. Any one that can be brainwashed by a book of stories should be put to death.

July 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  15. The Guy

Ugh, I thought we were trying to get smarter as a society.
    Although I'd watch the episode where Hawkins goes in and serves them a slice of reality.

July 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  16. GodPot

When you religious people see something you dislike, such as reality TV, due to the rampant immorallity, scandal's and stupidity, stop watching it, don't COPY it and make your own "clean" version.

July 5, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • EddyWithani

Why can't they copy it and make it "clean"? It seems that the motives are going in the correct direction, take something bad and make it good. Unlike you taking something that people are trying to for good and turn it into a hate speech. I am not a big fan of religion, however, I do agree with the concept of creating something good and positive.

July 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Holy Cow

They do it every time. That's why there's "Christian" everything. They are just religious knockoffs of this and that that they thought was "bad" or "the devil" at some point in time.

July 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • GodPot

"and turn it into a hate speech" ?

How would that comment be considered hate speech? Anyone? Anyone with more than 1/2 a brain unlike Eddy? (thats more like hate speech, see the difference?)

July 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • SomeGuy

"How do you know what 'most' athiest think, do, or say."

Well, I read a lot of posts on the boards here on CNN. I think they paint a pretty accurate picture of what 'most' athiests think, do, or say.

July 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Stevie7

" I read a lot of posts on the boards here on CNN. I think they paint a pretty accurate picture of what 'most' athiests think, do, or say."
      ---------------

And why do you think a couple of anonymous comments are an accurate picture of what tens of millions of people think, do, or say?

July 5, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • SomeGuy

"I don't look at the Westboro baptist church to define what I think Christians should be. I meet them and talk to them. Applying what one sees on comments thread and concluding that 'most' people are like that is short sighted, at best."

Then I have respect for you Stevie, I honestly do. Unfortunately, a lot of what I have read in these forums is hateful. And, yeah, I've seen hateful stuff coming from religious keyboards too. But most of what I've read, especially in this belief blog is hurtful, hateful stuff coming mostly from the anti-religious side. Obviously there's no way for me to meet and talk with several million different atheists, but I do have several atheist friends that I get together with on occasions and have beers with. I think if I were to put my finger on it especially when it comes to these forums, I think it's the lack of respect for people's belief's that sets me off. You don't want to hear what selling? Fine, just don't bash me over it. Who cares if I believe in God or Santa or the Easter Bunny for that matter? At least be decent enough to let me have my beliefs without fear of someone burning me at the stake over it.

Thanks for not lumping me in with Westboro, by the way! 😉

July 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Frogist

@SomeGuy: I don't mean to jump in here, but I feel I have to say some beliefs require bashing. Some are dangerous and repressive. And those need to be bashed within an inch of their lives. The important difference is not to bash the person as well as the belief. There is nothing wrong with calling out someone's idiotic post, as long as you don't call them an idiot. IMO a lot of religious people cannot tell the difference and respond to any critique of their posts as personalized bashing. But just because you like something a whole lot, doesn't mean that when someone criticizes it and your feelings get hurt, you get to say they are bashing you or persecuting you or any of the kind of victim language that people use unecessarily.

Also are the posts all mixed up? The threads seems to be unravelling and then merging with other threads...

July 6, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  17. Linda

More trash for the airwaves.......

July 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • JaniceB

@ Edward:
      Liberals have higher IQs? Really?? Just because so many of them are Professors in their Ivory Towers, let's also consider that almost all high school drop outs vote Democrat and most who don't go to college do as well. And why are the libs out there trying to get people in nursing homes, and homeless people and people who don't speak English to vote liberal? Don't they have enough smart people? Where are all the unsubsidized liberal radio talk shows? I think I can answer that...most listeners to radio talk shows are college grads...

July 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Frogist

@JaniceB: Wow. Wanna back any of that up with statistical evidence? I'd love to read it.

July 6, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • Edward

JANICEB: Wow...you pretty much proved my point. Thanks. Your post not only was ignorant, completely inaccurate, misguided, void of facts and understanding. Thank You.

July 6, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  18. Edward

Talk about a completely ignorant and backward worldview. Grow UP...and stop promoting this garbage. Why would you want to promote such a garbage book as the Bible?!

July 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • The Guy

Seriously. Rather have my kid read the Night Before Christmas, pray to Santa, and take milk and cookies as communion.

July 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • JaniceB

DARE YOU to say that about the Koran....Christians are Biblically predicted to be persecuted and hated, and so we are. But we are not hate-mongers like you liberals who despise openly someone else's faith – a peaceful faith. GO ahead, bash the Koran and see what responses you get, Edward.

July 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Matt

Janice you're dumb. Religion serves no purpose. I can lead a good caring life without fairy tails to guide me. Go to school

July 5, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • EddyWithani

@Matt – You are not leading a good caring life when you insist on braking someone down for what they believe in.

July 5, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • JaniceB

@Matt,
      According to the gospel of Matt, all Christians are stupid. You're outnumbered. And I have a Master's Degree in Economics and could probably run circles around our disaster of a President who can't seem to get us out of this mess...You would not be here in the USA without the way our country was founded and fought for. Go move to one where Christians or Jews are a minority if you hate us so much...but don't forget your Magnum...

July 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • JAB

@Matt - Just wondering, do fairy tails wag the fairy, or is it the other way around?

July 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Sporkify

Eddy –
      Believers deserve to be broken, they're holding back and corrupting our society and insist on being "respected" for their idiotic beliefs. If you believed in something worthy of my respect then I would grant you it. No religion on Earth is respectable. Sorry.

July 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • SomeGuy

Really Matt? I wonder how many times you've given to the needy, or given holiday gifts to children who have recently lost a parent, or served in a soup kitchen. I would go as far to say that MOST (not all but MOST) people bashing religion don't do a darned thing to help anyone else but themselves. Yeah, I admit that there are some crooked "religious people" out there and even some lazy ones, but the ones who have a true heart to help others are out there doing all that they can. When was the last time any of you "anti-religious" people have done ANYTHING to help anyone instead of bashing those who are trying to help?

July 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@JaniceB
      As a Christian econimist, I'm curious as to how you feel about charging interest.
      The Bible is pretty explicit in its condemnation of the sin of usury...

July 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Stevie7

"When was the last time any of you "anti-religious" people have done ANYTHING to help anyone instead of bashing those who are trying to help?"
      --------------
      I volunteer my time and money more pretty much every religious person that I know. I don't need someone watching over my shoulder to be a good person. Get over yourself.

July 5, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

whoopsy.
      "econOmist"
      I done gots gud riting skills.

July 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • SomeGuy

@Stevie7 – If you re-read my post you'll see that I specifically said "not all". My point is that most anti-religious people say that "religion and it's people are useless" to which I would reply that ANYONE (religious or not) who doesn't do something to try to help others AND bashes people for their beliefs OR lack thereof are useless. Bashing is a waste of time on both sides of the fence.

July 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Stevie7

My problem is with your continual use of 'most'. How do you know what 'most' athiest think, do, or say. It seems that the one bashing here is you.

July 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • SomeGuy

"How do you know what 'most' athiest think, do, or say."

Well for starters, I read a lot of posts on the boards here on CNN. I think they paint a pretty accurate picture of what 'most' athiests think, do, or say.

July 5, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Edward

Janice: Christianity is a man created myth. You and your kind are teaching our kids LIES.....not a good thing. Not a good thing at all. Study your religion and it's origins. Study the Bible and it's forged and corrupted origins. The book is not fit for a child to read. Educate yourself. I am a former Christian and I am not an athiest. Don't attribute christianity or the bible to God, he/she has nothing to do with it.

July 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • JaniceB

@ DocVestibule:
      As a Christian ECONOMIST (spelled correctly), yes the Bible speaks on usury, which is when when of God's believers borrows something from another of God's believers, that the first guy should not charge interest. "If you lend money to any of My people who are poor among you, you shall not be like a moneylender to him; you shall not charge him interest." EXODUS 22:25. This law applies to believers only since non-believers were not held to the Law under Moses.
      I would personally not charge a poor person interest if I loaned them something, but I'd be more likely to just give it to them. This law says nothing about the secular business world of borrowing money. But it is USURY in some aspects of this economy when you look at what credit card companies charge people. This is under the secular definition of the word, which says that it is an unfair amount of interest being charged.

July 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • JaniceB

@ Doc again...Saw your spelling correction... thanks 🙂

July 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Edward

Janice: Also "Liberals" are good people who stand for good things. They believe in doing what's morally right. Liberals have also been shown to be more educated and have higer IQ's than conservatives. That is a fact...not opinion. Conservatives look down on education and find " facts " very annoying. This is a dangerous mindset which will doom our society if not addressed.

July 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • JaniceB

@ Edward: "Liberals" are good people who stand for good things. They believe in doing what's morally right". Oh really?

3rd trimester ended pregnancies for the mom's convenience not her life? Birth control for your 12 year old given out behind your back at his or her school? Gay Pride parades with men half dressed and kissing? Tax penalties for being married instead of single? Fighting to keep strip clubs when the neighborhoods say no? These are only a few arguments on the moral side. On the fiscal side, the Liberal Prez in dc is taking down America.

July 5, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Frogist

Be careful, JaniceB. All these blanket generalizations make you seem like a bigot.

July 6, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  19. Katie

Stupid....

July 5, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  20. RayJacksonMS

Ridiculous. If they were living the bible their would be no marriage problems. They would be subservient or dead. It's a real loving book that way.

July 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • W247

You are right that there would be no marriage problems. If they were living their marriage according to the bible they would be treating each other lovingly and respectfully., serving each other not for the benefit of self but for the benefit of the other and the unit as a whole.

July 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm |