home
RSS
Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD
July 5th, 2011

Evangelist produces ‘Real Housewives of the Bible’ DVD

By Liane Membis, CNN

There’s a new set of housewives on the block.

These women aren’t whining about fashion faux pas and socialite misgivings. Their stories are cast somewhere between the books of Genesis and Revelation.

Ty Adams, a web-based evangelist and author, is producing “The Real Housewives of the Bible,” a two-part DVD series that tracks six women dealing with the ups and downs of marriage as they strive to be good wives.

Adams said that “outrageous reality shows” like Bravo’s “The Real Housewives” series and VH1’s “Basketball Wives” inspired her to create a more wholesome version of the franchise.

“I was frustrated with what I was seeing,” she said. “A lot of society is looking towards programming to educate them on relationships and these shows haven’t effectively done that.”

“They have ruined and tainted our ability to secure good relationships and to make women into good wives,” said Adams, who is based in Detroit.

Adams has provided Christian relationship advice for nearly ten years, since she founded a production company called Heaven Enterprises in 2002. She’s the author of Single, Saved and Having Sex, has produced religious DVDs and plays and offers sex and relationship advice through a web-based column called “Ask Ty.”

Adams says the goal of her “Real Housewives” DVD, due out later this month, is helping women juxtapose real-life issues with Christian teaching. She says that teaching includes women’s obligation to attempt to sustain relationships that have endured extra-marital affairs and other hardships.

“Because we live in a media-driven society, telling these age-old stories of adultery, loneliness and longing through entertainment helps women relate,” Adams said.

Each character on the show represents a different woman from the Bible. A character based on the biblical Sarah struggles with infertility. (The biblical Sarah was barren until she reached old age).

Gold-digging women are likened to Delilah from the Book of Judges, who seduced and deceived Samson - who'd fallen in love with her - through repetitious requests.

And the show features plenty of Jezebels.

“Many single women can get a man but they can’t keep a man,” Adams said. “So many singles have been in girlfriend status for so long that they only understand that mentality. They don’t know what it takes to be a good wife in order to sustain a relationship and some parts of society promotes that.”

- Liane Membis

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Entertainment

1. Juan H

YAWN!

July 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  2. andrea

Has she ever watched a real housewives program? There's a bible chick on the orange county one. I'm one of those American's who try to get my life together by emulating all of reality TV. My kids have antenna's on their heads too.

July 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  3. Bubba Bullwhacker

I'm personally going to wait for "The Real Housewives of The Smoking Hot Nude Witch Coven."

July 5, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  4. Lenny

So it's like Veggie Tales...with boobs.

July 5, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • andrea

LOL! "Gotta be bible tales"

July 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • Yup Yup Yup

They could call it the Vegina Monologues.

July 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Adam Baum

Veggie Tales was about vegetables. Real Housewives of the Bible is FOR vegetables.

July 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Jim

I guess the first rule of marketing to anyone is to know what your audience likes.

July 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  5. Tammee

A bit different, but it sounds like an improvement from the raunchy Housewives show. If it helps people in need, that's all that matters.

July 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
  6. Kebos

BTW, I wouldn't put a whole lot of credence into the stories of the old testament. These stories are at best works of fiction past down many generations by word of mouth until at some point, a few writers wrote down the twisted yarns they had become. I mean, come on. Methusulah living many hundreds of years, Samson strength from his hair, Noah loading up all creatures (2 of each) on a boat he built, Moses parting the Red Sea. Right.

Might as well add some of the Greek mythology wives into the mix to give it more credibility.

July 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • andrea

Don't believe she's ever watched the Real Housewives of Orange County. There's a bible chick on that show. She should watch before commenting because I'm one of those American's who try to get my life together by emulating all of reality TV. My kids have antenna's on their heads too.

July 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
  7. Claire

Someone else profiting off of gullible religious folks.

July 5, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
  8. Muneef

Think of that as a good project that might improve and strengthen family ties....after all we have a saying that says;
    "The way to the heart of man is throughout his stomach"
    Beside that it is hard for a man to be successfully organized at his business/work if his house is unorganized comfortably..

July 5, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • Kebos

Yeah, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach and I think this "reality" show would make me puke.

July 5, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • Frogist

@Muneef: I'm not sure what that has to do with the show... if a man wants to have his house organized he should probably go to Ikea and get some storage so he can organize it himself. No need to hire... uhh I mean... marry some woman to be his house slave.

July 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  9. Kebos

"....as they strive to be good wives......."
    You mean like Tammy Baker? What a pathetic idea. But if it makes a buck (which is the intent) then good on them since religion's objective is just that; how to make a quick buck.

July 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  10. Jack P.

This is not a Christian program. It's like a lot of churches that have taken on traits of the world to try to attract the world to their pews. It's not biblical. It's just yet another piece of hype that labels itself "Christian" but isn't. The result is only going to turn people off even more from Christianity.

If people knew what true Christianity really was, and saw it being lived out biblically and truthfully, they would run towards Christ, not away from Him.

July 5, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  11. soysauce

I don't believe in God and I don't believe in any religion. Yup I said it. I don't understand why it is that some would see that as sooo offensive. My beliefs are my beliefs and that's that.

July 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • o.k.

soysauce...I'm a christian and I'm not offended by your lack of faith. But let's be honest: The ones who appear to be so easily offended on matters of religion are...atheists. Reading these reader comments (here and other places), you'd think that people of faith were the worst type of people imaginable (I know, here come the comments that prove my point). A simple civic, nondenominational prayer at a public event invokes images of the world coming to an end in most atheists' eyes (at least the ones commonly offering their position in these reader comments). Why are you so easily offended by people of faith expressing that faith openly. Why is it that any open expression of faith is seen as "ramming" it down your throat. Relax.

July 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • fred

It's because you have offended a Holy God. Holiness is key attribute of God. Further, the bible goes to great lengths to talk about the consequences of denying God. There are also those that take Gods word very serious and are “one with God thru Christ”. Then there is the issue of the Holy Spirit which Jesus said will dwell in the heart of believers. Such talk grieves the Holy Spirit.

July 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Jim

imagined importance of yourself is the sign of a self-absorbed and selfish person. Trying to provoke others by being insulting is a lack of maturity.

July 5, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Jack P.

That's not offensive at all, soysauce. The only time it's "offensive" is when non-believer ridicule Jesus and our faith. Even then, Christians are to be slow to offend and anger anyway. Christians aren't supposed to expect non-believers to act biblically. Why would they? Not believing isn't offensive.

July 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Henry

I think for some people non-belief is offensive, fred suggests this. You can't really make these people happy and be true to your own belief system. They just can't conceive of an understanding of the world that isn't true to what they believe because they confuse 'truth' with'understanding of truth'. For some of them this is just a simple misunderstanding but for others they seek to quash all other beliefs in the hopes that it will make their 'understanding of truth' the 'truth'. They don't seem to know that if their understanding of the truth is incorrect it doesn't matter how much they repress other's understanding of the truth it won't change the truth to their understanding of the truth.

But don't assume I think only one belief system has a monopoly on this misunderstanding of the difference between these two concepts. It seems to be rather widespread even amongst atheists.

July 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • JaniceB

@ ok...
      You are absolutely correct. The most vile responses I've had to my Christian posts, which are instructive but not offensive, have come from Atheists. Christians are a threat to their freedom of unbelief somehow. No one is forcing them to believe in God, but their agenda is certainly ACLU like in flavor...

July 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Henry

@JaniceB

That is interesting because when I post reasonable comments on faith blog stories that suggest I am an atheist I get comments telling me how much of a vile sinner I am and demanding I repent and/or move out of the country.

July 5, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • fred

Henry,
      That is because you think there can be more than one truth. Something is either true or it is not. You can have whatever opinion you wish but that does not change the truth.

July 5, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • Henry

fred

No. You again confuse 'truth' and 'understanding of truth'. I believe there can only be one truth but many understandings of the truth. You are demanding that we accept your understanding of the truth as the one that is correct.

July 5, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • fred

I had and perhaps still have some misconceptions about atheists but one thing is clear. For the life of me I can no longer wrap my head around absence of Deity where once this not problem. I think back to the days when I would mock bible thumpers. Never to their face but to my fellow agnostics as would never deliberately hurt another. I thought there was no eternal consequence to my behavior as today was all I had. I always helped out and gave to the poor simply because money was not important to me and I was not worried about a 401k plan etc. Everything changed at once now I find the way I spend my time meaningless if it does not have some eternal meaning. I am offended when the name of Jesus is degraded whereas once I would use it offensively.

July 5, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
    • fred

Henry,
      We may be talking about the same thing. Since my understanding of what is truth has changed clearly in my case one can be mistaken. The truth has not changed and remains regardless of my understanding or misunderstanding, right?

July 5, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • o.k.

Henry, if you are receiving comments that you are a "vile sinner" and that you should move out of the country (and I believe that you probably do receive these responses), then that is a shame. As a christian, I'd hope to have a polite discourse, but I know that on both sides of the debate, that is easier said then done. To my christian brothers and sisters, we will, in no way, fulfill the great commission by insulting those who do not believe. We can not love our neighbor (or enemy) by name calling or pointing out the worst in people. Henry...you are a sinner in need of repentance–but I feel free to say that only because I too am a sinner in need of repentance–no worse or greater than you. Peace.

July 5, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Henry

fred

I think, to some degree, you conceive of atheists as being the equivalent of the worst examples of those that call themselves atheists like many people conceive of Christians as being the worst examples of those that call themselves Christians. I think this happens because they are often the most vocal of the groups.

What is sort of interesting about your description of why people help those in need is that many atheists view that the only reason Christians do so is out of fear of damnation or obligation. They see this as just as meaningless as giving because you don't care about money. They feel that a better reason to do so would be an authentic desire to help others. I don't think either stereotype of the other group is true. We just fall back to stereotypes too often because they are convenient.

July 5, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • Henry

fred

Yup it is called Critical Realism. We only have the ability to determine the truth to the best of our ability since we are limited as human beings. Some people come to understandings of the truth that are like yours others more like myself.

July 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • fred

Henry,
      One misunderstanding I had was that atheists believed in nothing after death. I now understand some believe in something outside their physical existence. They do not call it nothingness they call it a consciousness (soul to some). Since they cannot quantify or have any hard evidence as to the existence of a Deity such seems as foolishness (and yes I get the bible jabs on occasion). Much evidence exists as to the power and knowledge of King David, Solomon, and Paul (Saul of Tarsus). Even today I do not think any man had greater wealth than Solomon, strength than David or spiritual conversion of Paul. I lean towards their understanding of what is truth. Even Pilot who gave into the Jews asked Jesus “what is truth” and it was right in front of him. So not every can see it though it is Pilot finally was coming around but politically afraid to do the right thing. And yes, you are right sterotypes are a problem I am working on overcoming.

July 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Henry

That is interesting. I guess it could be conceived of as atheism if it isn't based on a divine being. I don't think that way myself. I guess I wouldn't eliminate the possibility entirely as quantum physics does suggest that energy behaves in ways that we can't explain with current science. I would agree that believing in that while mocking a divine being is hypocritical. If one can't accept a divine being because one doesn't see any proof but somehow accept continued consciousnesses without proof then well that is the definition of hypocrisy.

I agree that there is much historical evidence of the knowledge of those individuals (I know of the first two more than the last but...). I have an undergraduate history degree and I know that many of the events in Bible have been verified by other sources. There are some differences but many of those can be attributed to poor translations. I am not saying I believe that Moses parting the Red Sea was a literal event but historians figured out that the Canaanites are almost certainly Greek conqueror/explorers based on translation of the Bible which refers to them as Sea Peoples. Other source suggest that the Sea People were originally Greek and excavations suggest this is true. Stuff like that makes the Bible a credible source of events and describing people who existed (all of the ones you mention can be verified to be real people).

I can see how you put value on the words in the Bible. It is certainly not invalid to do so. I can't pinpoint what causes me to value it less on determining how I understand the truth but there are other things I tend to place more value on.

July 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • fred

2. Henry,
      3. I was extremely secure in what I knew to be the truth until I ran into this web site. Then Atheists would toss out stuff I never heard of casting doubt on parts of the Bible and if Jesus even existed. I also, thanks to this some comments here, came to the realization I had a Christian view of the Old Testament and modern Jews. The Good news is in following up I realized I was reading the Bible so as to prove it right regardless of the issue. I suspect the reverse also happens. We all seem incapable of escaping our bias to some degree. And I was the last one to notice I had been doing the same.

July 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
    • JF

Henry, Fred

Yes King Solomon was great wise old man. According to the "Good Book" which you both admire, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines. My my isn't that nice? What an amazingly wonderful man he was. Warren Jeffs would give his left test to have been in Solomon's shoes. How fitting that you would bring him up during the discussion about a show that teaches women how to be good wives. As a man, I am incredibly perplexed as to how any woman would want to be even remotely involved with this religion.

July 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • fred

JF
      Solomon is a must read even for one who hates Christians. He went for all the desires a man could muster up to the maximum until he was sick of it; education, wine, fine spirits, women, work, wealth, yadda yadda. Each left him empty and in conclusion only love of God is non exhaustable a joy far beyond anyting man could come up with. He did not mistreat any of his wives. God did not approve of his many wives or pleasure seeking and has not changed one bit. The Bible shows exactly how a man is to treat a women with love honor and dignity. We probably read the same bible which is usefull to bring about positive loving creative change to a mans life. The bible was written for redemption. Those who think they do not need redemption already have what they think they want. Those who find no sin in their life certainly need no forgiveness. So, I need to ask for forgiveness often and find it. That works for me.

July 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • Frogist

@ok: So you say most of the hate comes from non-believers but right after your post fred is talking about how non-believers are damned and there are consequences for them. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't telling someone they are offensive because they are not like you also hate? This condemnation is evident in almost every post that responds to a person who openly posts as an atheist here. Or does it not count because it is Biblical "truth"?
      Also it doesn't matter if the prayer is non-denominational. It is still a prayer and if promoted by a state agency is still illegal and requires removal. The separation of church and state is supported by many religious ent!ties. Please stop confusing the necessity for a secularism in gov't with atheism.
      @Janice: No, no one is forcing anyone to believe in your god... just to act as if they do. Ask any gay couple who wants to get married. Also you should thank your lucky stars for the ACLU which has gone to bat for Christians and their right to free speech. Your prejudice is showing... again.

July 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
  12. Steve Portaro

this will without a doubt be the nastiest and meanest of this idiotic series

July 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  13. 30 Fathoms Deep

Somebody got rich selling pet rocks.
    Somebody else put together the bible........
    and controls nations, and the minds of men.

I think i will take the pet rock.

July 5, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  14. QuietStormX

If these 6 women seen in the photo are to represent, then I guess she has not noticed with the Bravo Housewives contained real women of every type, color and size. And VH1's Mobwoves has unique women who love mob men and one who is the daughter of one who was a mob rat, but they seem like hard women who really don't how to be treated like a woman should. They are not all white or a size 2 to 6 either like these women in the photo above. I hate stick figures!

July 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  15. Apocatequil

ha ha..Christianity is a freak-show like professional wrestling...entertain me, clowns!

July 5, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  16. bridgett

ok....quoted from second line of story "These women aren’t whining about fashion faux pas and socialite misgivings"

So, then why does it look like they all have on designer dresses and have all gone to the beauty salon and spent $300 plus on hair and makeup and maybe a boob job or two! ha ha ha ha what a waste!!!

July 5, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Lennard

good one!

July 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
  17. God

You religious folks freak me out.

July 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  18. brian william

The fact that all the females are white is of no surprise to me! This is a joke... Christianity is a joke and the evangelist producing this is the court jesture of stupidity.

July 5, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  19. Christophorm

First off.... the fool says in his heart there is no God...secondly,no real follower is going to do this and thirdly,most of you would not know a true believer disciple of Christ if they fell on you.

July 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • TheyNotHim

You are the fool for buying this nonsense in the first place.

July 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Kebos

Which is what a true believer would have to do for me to notice them. BTW, there is no god and I am no fool.

July 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  20. Worse than Snooki

I'm guessing there won't be much scissor kicking and tongue diving on this show?

July 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm |