home
RSS
July 11th, 2011

Your Take: Comments on new atheist movie 'The Ledge'

There are few faithy topics that get our readers talking like atheism does.

Our Friday story about "The Ledge," a new atheist-themed movie that's trying to do for nonbelievers what "Brokeback Mountain," did for gays and lesbians, drew nearly 4,000 comments.

A few commenters noted that the movie fits a recent trend of atheist evangelism:

BRod:
Just proves that atheism is a religion too. It if was just a lack of belief, then you wouldn't have them flying banners, erecting billboards, and making movies about it. Nobody flies banners, erects billboards, and makes movies about lack of belief in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Atheists proselytize as much, if not more, than many Christians do!

Jack:
I started watching this film. I got about 30 minutes into it and shut it off. It was unwatchable. Poor written and even poorly acted. Their portrayal of Christians was nothing but the hateful stereotype that many atheists like to give of them. This film is also HYPOCRITICAL because they RAGE when a film has a Christian message, saying that it doesn't belong in entertainment and that "religious nuts" should keep it to themselves. Now they're doing the same thing they RAGE at Christians for. HYPOCRITES! If you don't believe in God or choose to be an atheist, go for it. I support you. It's not offensive to me. But, when you rage against those with faith and start doing the same things yourself that you loathe Christians for doing, you've become hypocrites and irrelevant.

Many commenters appeared to be atheists themselves:

Terry:
When a Christian actually does something nice for someone, I'll check into their god.

JG:
Love how the Christian rep in the article calls the US a Judeo-Christian nation. FALSE. And says those beliefs led to the freedom and justice of the US. FALSE. There is NOTHING more oppressive in the US then Christianity. Every Klansman, Every lynch mob, every racist opposed to equal rights, every bigot opposed to gay rights.....is a Christian.

Others encouraged non-atheists to give the movie a chance:

Stacy:
I have got to be honest. I am a Christian and I watched the movie and I enjoyed the movie. It gave a perspective of how other people feel. We are not all the same and we never will be.

Steve:
You don't have to like atheism to see a movie about it, you know. I went to see The Passion of the Christ. Did I walk out of the theater a believer? Nope. Close your mind for no one. Ever.

And there were also plenty comments criticizing "The Ledge."

Franz Fafner: Most Hollywood films are disguised left-wing propaganda. Many of them are anti-religion propaganda. The only difference here is that the writer-director admits he set out to make such propaganda. I suppose that's an improvement. At least the audience will know before they buy the ticket.

Mark:
Great-great grandson of Charles Darwin. Well, there you have it. He probably feels the need to carry on his great-great grandfather's disillusions of grandeur (or, loves to capitalize on his fame). Darwin was a quack. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. I don't need to "see" Christ or proof of God's existence (although, the earth and all that is in it is evidence enough). I can experience God and Jesus through faith.

12121212:
I LOVE GOD Nothing will ever change that..not even this movie..I believe in free choice..free will..as I feel sorry for atheists, it is their right to not believe..atheists are just people waiting for a physical evidence to believe in GOD..or "something"...most atheists I know end up believing in GOD when a very close loved one dies..why is this? because they end up having their first spiritual experience.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Movies

soundoff (1,369 Responses)
  1. cornwall pr

I'm really impressed with your writing skills and also with the structure for your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you customize it your self? Either way keep up the excellent high quality writing, it is uncommon to peer a great weblog like this one nowadays..

September 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
  2. Missy

Oh Sugar!!!! You have no idea how your site has blessed me (and my BFF). I sbmetlud upon it thorugh Gooseberry Patch and now I am hooked! I too am a stay at home mom and I love looking for new ideas for decorating my house and making it a happy place for my family. I have fallen in love with the chalk ink markers and chalkboard paint. I love to look at all of your decorating ideas and I have shown my husband your pantry DAILY!!! My best friend and I have told everyone about your site and we each bought a different set of the chalk ink markers and are sharing a bucket of the chalk board paint! Thank you so much for your encouraging words about being a Godly wife and mother. You make me feel so good about my decision to be a stay at home mom. It is wonderful to see someone else who views keeping a home as a blessing and a joy!!!

July 31, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  3. téléchargement

Fantastic site. Lots of helpful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thank you on your sweat!

June 6, 2012 at 6:13 am |
  4. moha

hi.i think its bad luck to see my comment ...yes i say it to u - yes u . Islam is the right side ???????????? so u cant deny that i told u this . so u have to search if it is the truth or not ?? and if u dont ? it is ur fault and u cant tell god ( no one told me )

December 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  5. JacQuille

If TRUTH be told BOTH Traditional Christianity AND those who claim to be atheist are IGNORANT over matter about God! along with every other religion in this world!
    EVERY RELIGION IN THIS WORLD IS FALSE!!! AND IS IN MAJOR ERROR! Neither is there any TRUTH in religion, not to mention, religion is a WAY OF LIFE, not what one believes. What a person believes is their faith, and they live according to that faith (belief). And concerning things about God and Jesus Christ, TRADITIONAL CHRISTIANITY is NOT BASED ON THE BIBLE!!! For example, things like Christmas, Easter, Sunday Worship, Halloween, Lent, Communion and etc., ARE NOT BIBLICAL!! THEY CANNOT BE FOUND IN THE BIBLE!!! THE BIBLE DOESNT TEACH THE OBSERVANCE OF THOSE PAGAN HOLIDAYS PERIOD! BUT ON THE CONTRARY, CONDEMNS THEM AND ANYONE WHO WISHES TO ACCEPTS THEM!
    Those holidays, along with every denomination and belief that is apart of Traditional Christianity ALL come from the Catholic Church; which is FALSE AND IS IN ERROR itself!
    And for the atheist, THERE IS A GOD!! and the more an atheist continues to believe contrary is to lower and insult their own intelligence, making them IGNORANT OF THE PLAIN TRUTH! HOW CAN U EXPLAIN THE CONCEPT OF A CREATION WITHOUT A CREATOR!??? And because of this unwillingness to accept TRUTH, they themselves have shut out from their minds additional "knowledge" that would eventually lead to the explanation of WHY humanity was created in the first place!
    How can there NOT be a GOD??? THINK ABOUT IT!! DONT ASSUME there ISNT a God, KNOW!
    As the book professing to be the Word of God says: "The carnal mind is enmity [hostile] against God: it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be" (Romans 8:7). All the facts, positive evidence, rational reasonings and proofs in the world will never induce such a one to accept that against which he is prejudiced. For prejudice is a barrier to the entrance of truth into any mind.
    For example, Uranium is a radioactive element heavier than radium. It has an atomic weight of 238.5. In decomposing, it gives off a helium atom, weight 4, repeated three times, and then the substance left is radium, atomic weight about 226.4. Radium, then, is simply the end product of uranium after it has lost three helium atoms. Then the disintegration continues in radium. And the final product of this process of radioactive disintegration is the element lead! Now of course this process requires great periods of time. The calculated half-life of radium is 1590 years – uranium much longer.
    When looking into the dark room of an X-ray laboratory, a tiny portion of radium was placed on a mirror at the far end of a hollow tube, and I looked into this tube through a magnifying glass at the other end. Under this magnification what I saw appeared as a large, vast, dark sky, with thousands of shooting stars falling toward me from all directions. Actually what I saw were the emanations of tiny particles being emitted by the radium, greatly magnified.
    We know, therefore, that there has been no past eternity of matter! When Matter Did Not Exist The radioactive elements in existence today have not yet been in existence long enough to have run their course, and disintegrated into lead. To have ALWAYS existed, without any definite time of starting in the past, this "life" period of radioactive elements long ago would have run its course. All radioactive elements would have long ago disintegrated into lead. Since these elements exist only for a definite span of years, and all the uranium, radium, thorium and other radioactive elements in the world today have not yet existed that many years, there was a time, prior to the duration of this span in the past, when these elements DID NOT EXIST!
    Here we have definite scientific proof that MAT'TER HAS NOT ALWAYS EXISTED. Here we have definite specific elements which once, in the long ago, did not yet exist. Then there came a time, later, when these elements CAME INTO EXISTENCE. Evolution usually postulates that things come about GRADUALLY, through the slow-moving natural processes of the present. Try to imagine, if you can, something coming into existence out of nothing GRADUALLY! Can your mind entertain the idea?
    I think not. No, I think if you are rational you will have to accept the fact of a special and necessarily instantaneous CREATION. And SOME POWER or SOME ONE had of necessity to do the creating. There is a cause for every effect. And in accepting that inevitable FACT, proved by the findings of science, of the existence of that GREAT FIRST CAUSE, YOU HAVE ACCEPTED THE FACT of the existence and preexistence of the Creator - GOD! Where Did LIFE Come From? But how about the presence of life?
    How did life get here? Science has learned some things about that, too.
    The wisest of the ancients did not know what science makes available today. Thus it is demonstrated today that LIFE COMES ONLY FROM LIFE, and that each kind reproduces only after its kind (Genesis 1:25).
    LIFE can only come from PRE-EXISTING LIFE!
    No fact of science stands more conclusively proved today. Life CANNOT come from dead matter. There is not one shred of truth from science to account for the presence of life upon the earth by any means other than a special creation by the great original first Cause - God - Who is life and the fountain source of all life! It is now absolutely certain, according to all that can be KNOWN from science - according to all that is rational - that it required A REAL CREATION to produce life from the not-living - organic from inorganic matter. Life Only FROM Life One cannot rationally deny the existence of my GOD, unless he can account for the origin of LIFE without a Creator who, Himself, is Life! The Creator, therefore, begins to be revealed, by science and by reason, as a LIVING God - a God in whom is LIFE, and who alone has imparted life to all that have it!
    There are also that which higher education teaches as to concerning the broad fields of evolution. THAT TOO CAN ALSO BE PROVEN FALSE! For there was NO evolution.
    I'm not gonna go into that at the moment.But there remains one thing no man ever has been able to do. He cannot build, make, produce, or create anything that is superior to himself! Now let me ask all of you who made read this. Do you candidly, do you honestly believe that any power or force of less intelligence than your mind produced YOU?
    I could go on, proving these things but, it's NOT about me, its about God and ONLY HE can reveal Himself to mankind! ONLY He can prove His existence to someone unwilling to accept truth, and THATS JUST WHAT HE IS GOING TO DO within the remaining 9 months we have left until the return of Jesus Christ.
    Not to mention, for those of you who have a belief and has ur faith in Traditional Christianity (along with any other religion); YOU WILL SUFFER the 7 last plagues of God, due to the mark of the beast that is about to be enforced by a resurrected ROMAN EMPIRE that is arising now in Europe unless you can repent and turn to the ONE and ONLY TRUE GOD!
    and concerning for those of you who all are atheist, you're gonna have a pretty hard time as well, because once Sunday observance is enforced, what are you going to do? YOURE GOING TO SUFFER AS WELL, because once the resurrected Roman Empire do what they do (Revelation 13, 17; Daniel 2 and 7) youre gonna be forced to worship their god and youre gonna suffer the plagues and judgement of God as well, unless you can repent and turn to the ONE and ONLY TRUE GOD!

September 12, 2011 at 3:22 am |
    • JWT

this god that god – they are all the same.

July 29, 2012 at 6:56 pm |
  6. Airport shuttle San Antonio

your service is very good . your service price are good .i have also use a service Airport Shuttle San Antonio this service very good.

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  7. Airport shuttle San Antonio

July 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Jasraj

Wow So True(2nd to last paragraph) It would be sad if Christians were known more by what we don’t do, than by the amnziag things I see being done by Christ-Followers. Great Word!!

July 29, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  8. Airport shuttle San Antonio

your service is very good your service price are very good once upon a time i have use a service Airport Shuttle San Antonio this service is very good .i like it very much.

July 26, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  9. Brian

Atheism is often viewed as a 'lack of faith' but really it's a faith in there being no right theism. Consider that a christian is an atheist of Buddha's existence just as a Buddhist is atheist of god's existence. The allegorical Abraham, Muhammed or Jesus does not exist to people of other religious paths. Thereby, these people are atheists a large portion of the time towards things outside of their world.

Atheism is a faith in humanity. Where all the religions make claim that in the darkest hours we still are immortal and watched over by a loving, murderous, sometimes ravenous, deity. Atheism makes claim that in our darkest hours we are the ones with the ability to move forward, that we can make those paths and not wait for a deity to come upon us and clear the land of its evils. This is why often Atheism and Humanism is hand in hand. To have faith in man's ability to do good is much simpler in elegance and much more feasible than to have faith in an unseen force directing you and the people around you to do good. God is an illusory intermediary created for the definition of things we didn't understand but now we have the ability to see that Atheists are decent people. That human beings have always needed each other and therein we are symbiotic in a sense.

When you consider that isolation in prisons is a further punishment you realize how important it is for us to have others near. For prisoners offered to be taken away from the violent guards, criminals, murderers, rapists and put into a solitary confinement to be nearly always viewed as punishment says something about humans. We need each other and it's in needing each other that we should realize we don't need a supernatural governing force. We are kind to each other because we seek kindness. Why are we kind to our pets? Why do we mourn their loss? Where is god on canine or feline heaven and hell? Well frankly we have dominance by christian standards over all animals (Genesis 1:26, NIV). I would dare a christian to demand a bear fetch him his slippers and newspaper though.

We seek companionship, it's something all people do and we do it at all times. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hindi, Atheism; people of all these faiths actively seek companionship in things. We actively cling to this world and we create our dominance within it by our own hands. If everyone agreed to contribute by their own sweat to the gain of the rest of the world rather than standing at the altar lecturing how God will show us 'non-believers' rapture, suffering and pain is then worth wondering at that moment, how many other faiths at that moment are saying their God will do the same to you? The greatest driving force of evil I can fathom, is the force that judges in a fog of xenophobia and demands the slaughter of all those who will not bend to your will.

Consider this for those binding religion to politics. You would ask of your politician to slaughter those who voted against him? Those who ask for religion to politics would see Obama kill 45.7% of the American Population by that sense. For it is the greatest sin to idolize a false god. By this, God selected Obama to be president for it was righteous thereby the opposition and all those supporting it be slaughtered. Just as well, binding religion to politics; Which religion? Catholicism, very well; slaughter all non-Catholics.

I give religion only one point; It's dictation on who is worthy of living makes for great population control.

July 20, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • Guy

Best lecture on CNN that I've seen. You should start writing articles here hehe.

July 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • dg

The problem with athiesm which the buddhist scholar Alan Watts pointed out is that it all to often devolves into dogmatism like religion.

Agnosticism or secular humanism appears to be a more logical form of belief than atheism as agnosticism/secular humanism does not hinge on dogma but rather the most probable theory to date which is open to change as new evidence is discovered. In theory is actual evidence of a god was discovered we would find many agnostics/secular humanists changing their beliefs.

October 5, 2011 at 6:02 am |
  10. David

Faith is belief without proof. We athiests have faith. We believe there is no "higher power", but we can't prove it. Members of the major religions base their activities (or lack thereof) on their particular faith. We athiests base our activities (or lack thereof- such as not joining a religious group) on our faith that there is no "higher power." People in the major religions believe so fervently that they are willing to stake their "souls" that they have chosen the correct religion. We athiests are staking our "souls" on the belief that their is no "here-after." In reality, we are not so different that we can't all practise tolerance. I can love my neighbor (no matter what they believe) just as much as anyone else. Athiesm shouldn't be equated with antagonism. Every time we denegrate religious people we solidy their viewpoint. Don't be a hater. Just be.

July 16, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
    • Charles

Thanks David, you've explained exactly how I feel about this. I think religion is a very personal thing, and people (including we atheists) should be free to hold and practice their own beliefs without fear of persecution.

I don't believe in God, but I do believe that "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is a pretty great rule to live by.

July 19, 2011 at 8:24 am |
    • Jeff Dempsey

That's sorta wrong. Scientifically speaking, the burden of proof is on the side of the believers. They are making a claim, there is a God. While the atheist are making no claim. One who believes in spite of fact has faith. Atheist just don't believe, not faith required there.

July 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  11. RZ

To ALL Athiests, I can prove to you that there is a God, angels, hell, paradise and an afterlife. Do the following to get the proof. 1) Go into a tall building 2) Get on the roof 3) Jump off. I assure you that as soon as you hit the ground all will be made clear to you if death has occurred. Just try it! If this is too much for you, then any type of suicide shall result in a similar result. So go give it a try! I DARE you. I have NO DOUBT you will believe then (though it'll be too late then to bring you any benefit).

July 14, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • IslandAtheist

The leap of faith is best left to you Christians.

July 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Interloper1

Since you believe that heaven is a better place, why don't you go first?

July 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Chris Hollier

I'm not sure whats worse, you thinking that your "assurance" of what will happen is actually evidence of the supernatural or the malicious intent behind your post.

July 15, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • ben

i dont have a problem doing that.But in return you take a bottle full of sleeping pills wash it down with anti-freeze and ask your "GOD"to save you.

July 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Gary Smith

Mark 16:18 says that if you believers drink deadly poison, you won't be harmed. You know that it's not true. How do you rationalize this (and all the other ridiculous claims in the holy book) away?

July 16, 2011 at 4:12 am |
    • Joshua the Agnostic

What's this? A Christian wanting to kill everyone that doesn't believe like he does? How could this be even possible? This has never happened before...

August 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  12. Karin

I am not going to comment to the movie as I have not seen it yet. But, I would like to respond to those commenter's that feel atheism is a religion. An atheist is not servicing and/or worshiping a god or has a supernatural commitment or devotion to any religious faith or observance. An atheist is called an atheist because they do not believe what the religious claim. That is all. An atheist requires evidence for such claims. Therefore they (don't believe) in religious beliefs. Of course, one may find atheist in large groups, or find banners, t-shirts... As an atheist myself I am overwhelmed by religious doctrine which I prefer to be absent from. These banners, large group activities, t-shirts... bring me peace of mind that I am not alone in (my disbelief). It is my innate social behavior to be drawn to like minded individuals and at times one needs to fight for what one requires unfortunately! That is to observe the world around them with intellectual honesty. And, most of all, to be capable and honest enough of simply stating; "I do not know".

July 13, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Sir Craig

As much as your point is dead-on, I'm sorry to say you may as well be shouting in a hurricane: The faithful will never let anything like facts, logic, evidence or even rationality get in the way of their beliefs.

July 13, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • Chris Hollier

Your post makes too much sense and doesn't use words like "complex", "faith", and "designer". I don't think the majority of religious people will understand what you typed.

July 14, 2011 at 1:37 am |
    • David

Karin, it sounds like you might actually be an agnostic which, in a lot of ways, is more intellectually honest than most of the people commenting on this thread. Kudos to you for expressing yourself without feeling the need to disprove other people's beliefs in order to have (or not have) your own.

July 16, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • dg

Thank you David as you have hit the nail on the head. It seems many atheists are agnostics or secular humanists because if evidence of the existance of God was discovered than they would be open to reevaluating their beliefs and choosing accordingly.

Atheists believe their IS no God.

Agnostics/secular humanists believe their is no evidence that proves the existance of God therefore at this time the most rational and logical belief system would not incorporate a God. It is actually the most scientific of the belief systems.

A large part of the problemvwhen discussing issues like this is that we utilize aristotalian language constructs that are dualistic and a major sign of this would be the use of the word "is," when to be linguistically scientifically correct everything should be stated as "it appears so to me," or some variation of this as it takes into account the many errors possible in how people perceive everything.

October 5, 2011 at 6:15 am |
  13. Matthew Chapman - Writer/Director "The Ledge"

I have responded to Bill Donohue in full at HuffingtonPost.com. See "Bill Donohue Gets On The Ledge".

July 13, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  14. SHRIKE

"All in all we're just a, .... another brick in the Wall." – Pink Floyd

July 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  15. Brooke Gillette

Of course he's upset that some people get called infidels but he likens believers to those who believe in Father Christmas...meaning juvenile and ignorant. He forgets that he has no basis to accuse someone else's belief system of inferiority. He has proven nothing. Only that he likes his thoughts better than someone else's, and don't we all. boring.....as a Christian, who loves people and doesn't judge them, it's not in the least encouraging to be portrayed as so shallow. He doesn't know me. Take the worse stereotype of a Christian or Atheist alike and neither are desirable.

July 13, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  16. Reality

Only for the those interested in a religious update: ( and for those who missed the first and second printing)

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482
    "New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. "

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.
    earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

3. Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:

Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

4. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current crises:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."
    "However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

July 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Brooke Gillette

whatever!

July 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  17. Broccoli

I never think about Randy anymore. I made a blog about how he stopped believing in me, with pictures and everything, but I never think about him at all.

July 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  18. Haime52

From what little I know of this film, it does show a stereotypical bias toward religion. It shows in the worst possible light what can happen. Few and far between are men like this, who call themselves Christian and this man is not a Christian, even though he claims so. That is the distinction. The writer takes a purposefully negative view of Christianity, as do many of the comments, here. Wow! All of you must have had some really bad experiences with religion, Christianity in particular. I am sorry for your bad impressions and experiences. Many bad things have happened in the name of religion, over the years. That make people bad, not necessarily the religion. Can you say nothing bad has ever happened in the name of atheism? No, not really. You have only to look at the things that have happened and continue to happen under communism to see that an atheist state is not so very desirable.

July 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Broccoli

"this man is not a Christian" I say he is, and you have no right to say otherwise. Don't make me bop you with my Clown Hammer®. And don't confuse Communism and atheism; Communism takes the place of religion in all ways from dogma to sermons all the way to marriage and law.

July 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Chris Hollier

All you have to look is their doctrine to see what they are capable of...

According to their own holy book, God has killed, and ordered the killing of, hundreds of thousands of innocent children. When I bring this to their attention you should hear all the absurd attempts at trying to rationalize the senseless slaughter of innocent children. Of course you have the typical Noah's Flood and God killing the first born in the 10th plague of Egypt, but you also have Deuteronomy chapter 3 where God orders the Hebrews to kill every man, woman, child, and infant in the land of Og. You have situations like Numbers 31 where something very similiar occured, but they did spare the female virgins for themselves. What do you think happened when the walls of Jericho fell? I won't spoil it for you...

I'm not saying that the first thing these Christians did after our conversations was go out and kill children, but it does show how far they will compromise even obvious moral duties just so they can remain loyal to their own religion. Back some of these people into a corner with a moral dilemma with limited choices and I think its fair to question whether or not they will act something like the Christian husband did in that movie.

I work in a healthcare facility and I can't tell you how often I hear my deeply religious patients honestly suggesting that we just nuke all of the middle east – women, children, included. I wonder where they got this disrespect for human life from?

July 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Tristan

Everyone seems to focus on the husband as the only theist there....the woman, the cop, and his gay roommate are all theists.

July 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Joshua the Agnostic

Chris, I know how you feel. I'm named after a mass murderer. Entire civilizations died at his hand, and he's a celebrated hero? Sounds like a winner to me let me tell you.

The massacre was so bad that the Hebrew Army had to wash themselves for 7 days afterwards. Not Even Cool At All

August 2, 2011 at 2:41 pm |