home
RSS
July 20th, 2011

Campus Crusade for Christ loses the 'crusade'

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)– The massive Christian ministry founded to minister and convert college students around the globe is changing its name.

Campus Crusade for Christ will change its name to "Cru" for its U.S. operations in early 2012, the Orlando-based ministry announced.

The new name was revealed late Tuesday to 5,000 staff members at a conference in Colorado.

Bill Bright and his wife Vonette founded the college ministry in 1951.

Bill Bright talked about his idea for the ministry with a seminary professor one day.  The professor scrawled the name Campus Crusade for Christ on a slip of paper and brought it to Bright the next day, according to Steve Sellers, the vice president of CCC.

"In the very beginning, Bill had discussed the possibility that we would need to change the name at some time," Vonette Bright said in a video posted by the organization. "I believe the time is right to change it."

Bill Bright died in 2003.

Today the group said it has 25,000 full-time and part-time staffers serving in 191 countries.  In the United States alone, staff members work on 800 college campuses, which is still the centerpiece of the organization.

Last year the global nature of the ministry was on display on the world stage when one of their staff members helped the trapped Chilean miners.

Christian Maureira, the head of CCC's Chilean ministry, provided Spanish-language MP3 versions of the Bible to the miners and helped get them T-shirts they wore when they emerged from the San Jose mine.

"Cru" has long been a nickname on the local college level, Sellers said.  The organization spent two years and went through 1,600 options to sort out a new name, he said.

"The word 'crusade' changes over time in terms of its volatility.  Of course everyone remembers back in the Middle Ages when the Crusades came about; of course no one wants to be associated with that," he said.

In the 1950s the word crusade was associated with famed evangelist Billy Graham and mission work.  Today, working on college campus in pluralist situations, the name is often divisive.

"In 2011 it has more of its historic meaning and was becoming more problematic.  So we were having more and more pushback that the name was hindering us from doing our mission, which is not something you want to be true of you," Sellers said.

The organization posted on its website the name change announcement in more detail: "Our surveys show that, in the U.S., 20% of the people willing to consider the gospel are less interested in talking with us after they hear the name."

"They need to emphasize while the name is changed the mission hasn't," said Kristin Cole, a manger of accounts for A. Larry Ross Communications, a top public relations firm in the faith-based community. "Your name it is important, but your mission is even more important."

While many Christian denominations and other ministries have a presence on college campuses, for decades Campus Crusade for Christ has been ubiquitous, with Christian outreach to students both domestically and internationally. But another reason they changed the name was the ministry had grown beyond just college campuses to 29 other areas of ministry.

One of the biggest concerns for the organization regarding the name change was dealing with donors.  The ministry relies on donations for virtually all its operating expenses.

Sellers said support has been good so far from donors on the name change.  "If they think about it, they recognize some of the inherent problems. And what they really care about is the mission that we do, not so much what our name is."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity

1. BettyBoop

maybe they can just watch Hobbit and love their stuffed bunny .. isn't that being nice? Or maybe a nice teddy bear and a hug before beddy-bye

July 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • BettyBoop

do they have to be Christian? Can't we just be nice to each other and not have wars? Hugs-not-wars .. animals too .. they need hugs .. think of Chewbaca .. he was nice wan't he? Would you start a war with him?

July 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • DamianKnight

The Emperor did start a war with Chewbacca.

July 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  2. Laughing

BAHHHH Stop eating my posts CNN! At least put it in waiting moderation!!!!

July 21, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Laughing

Ooop, well that seemed to do it.

July 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  3. Student of World Religions

How can Christianity be true when Christians have caused so much injustice? The Christian church has abused, enslaved, and killed people throughout history. This means Christianity cannot be right.

July 21, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • DamianKnight

The same way medicine can cure the sick, but people like Mengele can still become doctors.

You can't base whether Jesus was who He said He was on how unjust SOME (and by some, I mean a vast minority) of His followers are.

July 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Further, under your logic, Adolf Hitler was an athiest. Therefore, athiesm can't be right, because Hitler killed 6 million + people.

Judaisim is still killing many people to this day, as are the Muslims. So neither of them can be right either.
      The Hindus in India are constantly fighting with the Pakistanis, so Hinduism can't be right.
      China is mostly Buddist and they are constantly under scrutiny for human rights violations, so Buddism can't be right.
      Norse Mythology can't be right because the Vikings pillaged, plundered and killed a bunch of people.
      The Egyptians enslaved the Jews for many, many years, so Egyptian mythology can't be right.

Do you see how ridiculous this argument is?

July 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Fidei Coticula Crux

The truth of Christianity is not determined by stacking up side by side the examples of good or bad things Christians have done. Christianity is not false simple because some who claim the name of Christian fail to live out what that really means.

Think of it this way:
      – PREMISE: Some people have committed atrocities in the name of Christ.
      – CONCLUSION: Therefore, Christianity must be false.

Clearly, the conclusion does not follow from the premise—any more than saying all medical science must be false simply because some people who claim to be doctors are frauds. Jesus’ teachings and message are as true today as they were when he first gave them.

July 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

Hey Fidei
      Your logic is clearly improving ! Congrats ! The question is : when do you close it down ?

July 21, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Bibletruth

I suppose it depends on how you choose to define "Christian". Since I go by the bible definition (one who loves Jesus and keeps His commandments.....one who lives by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God....etc.) I totally reject that "Christians" have been the cause of so much injustice...the very opposite is true.

August 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • tallulah13

So, bibletruth, what you're saying is that we can decide what others believe just by giving them our personal definition? So I can say that you aren't really a christian because you don't fit the criteria that I believe a christian should? Many atrocities were committed in the name of Christ, by people who dedicated their lives to Christ's church, who worshiped by their own interpretation of his words. They thought themselves christians, as you think of yourself as a christian, thus these actions were done by christians.

August 7, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  4. awp1209

I was in Campus Crusade for Christ in college, and we commonly called it "Cru". One year they made t-shirts that said things like, "Cru: We don't row boats," and "Cru: We're not a haircut", in somewhat of a self-deprecating way of pointing out the ambiguity of their name. Several years ago there was an Onion news article that said something like, "Campus Crusade for Christ to update their name for modern times, and will change it to 'Campus Jihad for Christ'," which humorously pointed out the negative and violent connotations on the word "Crusade." I think they could have come up with a better name than "Cru"... it's good that it is somewhat connected to the previous name, but it's too nondescriptive and will only lead to conversations that go something like this: "What's 'Cru' mean?", "Oh, well we used to be called 'Campus Crusade for Christ' but then we changed it because 'Crusade' offended people." I would rather deal with some people's negative reaction to the word "Crusade" than have to endure that conversation about what "Cru" means with a hundred different people.

July 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  5. Bill-FL

I will be interested to see how long it takes the non Chritians to look up, read, comprehend, and attempt to reply with some sense of understanding of what they read on each of the passages you so kindly noted.

Thank you for posting.

July 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

Nothing worse than a bible citer .. I hate when they do that. I am Christian but I do not like that chapter-and-verse stuff).

July 21, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  6. JesusLoveHisEnemies

John 3:16

Matthew 24:3-14

Proverbs 15:1-2

Ezekiel 18:19-32

Colossians 2:1-10

July 21, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Bill-FL

Thank you for these verses.

Not so sure the non Christians can understand, more or less, read them.

They first have to have a Bible or be smart enough to look it up on the internet.

July 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • steward

@Bill-FL:

We Pagans are smart enough to look it up on the net. But if you Christians aren't willing to supply the information, we're not going to bother – because most of us Pagans also know that the NT was about a 200-300 year oral tradition before definitive forms were written down; the OT is simply a mess, the 5 books of Moses (Pentateuch or Torah) weren't written until AFTER the Babylonian exile, and incorporated some Babylonian beliefs into what theretofore had been Jewish beliefs. In short, the OT (or Tanakh) was written practically backwards, and the NT has nothing outside of itself to show that it's not a massive work of badly-written fiction. No doubt that's why Cru is so embarrassed that they're dropping "Christ" from their name.

July 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Steward,

I have an honest question. Are you using the term "Pagan" as a follower of a poly-theistic religion, or "Pagan" as to represent a hedonistic athiest? I'm trying to understand your point better.

July 21, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  7. Krystal

Why does everyone say that Christians are brainwashed? I was raised in a christian home. We went to church every Sunday. We didn't question it, it was just what we did. I became a christian in 7th grade but when I hit high school, I started questioning things. I spent about 9 years figuring out what I believed versus what I grew up being taught. My questioning brought me right back to Christ. It is how I made my faith my own and not that of my parents.

July 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Laughing

Really? "Why does everyone say that Christians are brainwashed? I was raised in a christian home. We went to church every Sunday. We didn't question it, it was just what we did. " – That's your brainwashing right there.

I'm happy to see that you decided to start asking questions, but it took you till Highschool to start asking questions? That's a pretty long time to be following without question.

Question, you say that you came back to christ and now the religion is yours and not your parents. Are you the same denomination as your folks?

July 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Krystal

@Laughing
      My parents didn't take me to church to brainwash me, they took me to church because their beliefs are important to them and they wanted to give me a foundation. Being the strong willed child that I was, I went out looking for proof and answers. Actually, it isn't that long of a time between 7th grade and high school. Actually, no, I am not the same denomination as my parents. I grew up presbyterian and now I am baptist. I do not agree with all of the theology of my church but that is okay because I believe in the resurrection which is the most important aspect of the christian faith. I do not condemn you for not believing what I believe. That is your choice. I do not go around telling people they are going to hell. I believe that my faith requires me to love, not condemn. I just wish that I wasn't constantly being called stupid and ignorant for my beliefs. I don't taunt you because of yours.

July 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Krystal

There is a book called "The Cause for Christ" written by Lee Strobal who previously was an atheist. He believed so strongly that there was not a God that he went out to do research to prove that God doesn't exist. His wife had just recently become a christian and he wasn't happy about it. Mr. Strobal was not a very nice guy. He was crude, opinionated, and basically just not very pleasant to be around He just knew that his research would prove him correct and he could basically put his wife in her place. During his research, he interviewed many prominent christian scholars and tried very hard to ask questions to trip them up and cast doubt on their beliefs. He could not do it and actually wrapped up his research with brand new beliefs and committed his life to Christ. He then wrote this book. At the end of the book, he shared what he felt was the biggest proof of the existence of Christ and how He changes lives. He overheard his young daughter talking to his wife. She said that if Jesus could change her daddy so much for the better then she wanted him in her life also. You see, no religion has the ability to change people's lives. Only Christ can do that. That is why I believe in Him. He has changed my life, and I have seen Him change countless other lives. I do not have a religion. I have a relationship.

July 21, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
    • Laughing

@ krystal
      "My parents didn't take me to church to brainwash me, they took me to church because their beliefs are important to them and they wanted to give me a foundation. Being the strong willed child that I was, I went out looking for proof and answers." Sorry kid, they're not going to tell you, "Alright honey, we're going to church to brainwash you now!" Doesn't make it any less so. Kudos for finding your own denomination, what a strong-willed and rebellious child you are!(Also FYI I thought the most important part of christianity was accepting christ as savior? or was the emaculate conception? or maybe the miracles? Sorry, they're all pretty loony, but I guess if you gotta pick one, why the ressurction?) It's cool you're following the live and let live policy and no condemnation, but it's not just the faithless that christians are making war against, it's basic rights, so what exactly is your stance on that? If you use your religion to make your choice for you instead of thinking for yourself and thinking "Gee, I think that gay couple of really nice and not hurting anyone in anyway when they want to get married, maybe they should probably be allowed to, then again that one passage in my book says they're bad so guess I got to vote against it, too bad they were nice!"

As for the book you mentioned. Cool beans, an atheist who becomes a christian. Obviously the book is going to be a little biased from the get-go and only include in the edited version stuff that is dam.ning for atheists and is pro christian. Same reason why you won't read anything by Dawkins, you know the final outcome and anything you read in it you know will already have bias in why the other side is wrong. Geddit?

To answer you original question, Why does everyone think christians are brainwashed? Many reasons including, inane and stupid rituals, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, stupid quotations thrown in to just about every situation even in the political arena, a stance on gay rights, abortion, condoms, pedophila ect.... that only comes because of the religion which is living in the past. Don't worry though, it's not just christians I think are brainwashed. Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, you name it I think they're clearly touched in the head to truely believe half the things they do, they must have been brainwashed from an early age (like you ) to think they're actually deciding for themselves.

July 22, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  8. Frogist

What is with all these Christian organizations trying to rebrand themselves? First Focus on the Family, then all those orgs trying to distance themselves from reparative therapy, now this. I wonder if they are starting to realise the damage their groups have done in the past, and are now really trying to mend their ways. Or are they just repackaging the same old same old so people don't recognize they were the ones who did all that bad stuff before. Like the article says, "Of course everyone remembers back in the Middle Ages when the Crusades came about, of course, no one wants to be associated with that." Well of course! But you are, Mr Sellers. All Christians are. It's the burden they have to bear by calling themselves a Christian. I am wondering if all these groups are trying to weasel out of the burdens they have to bear by trying to rebrand themselves too.

July 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • azalea

they are not trying to distance themselves from their christianity, simply from the word "crusade". If you think they are obligated to use the word "crusade" because at some point someone with the chritian label headed a brutal crusade, do you also think every muslim group is obligated to use the word "terrorist attack" in their name because at some point, someone with the muslim label headed a terrorist attack?

July 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Frogist

@azalea: I don't think I ever said I think this organization is obligated to use the word "crusade". But I do think Christians are obligated to acknowledge the Crusades and the bloody, violent part they played in it. I think refusing to accept that is part of the history of the Christian movement only weakens their position. It's deceptive to indulge in denial of the wrongs perpetrated in your name. More honorable to recognize the wrongs and demonstrate how you can do better.

July 21, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  9. Sam

If they wanted to get away from the stigma of the word Crusade, why did they choose the abreviated Cru instead of say Camp? Now everyone will ask what Cru is supposed to mean, and they'll say, "Oh. You know, that mideval plot to rid the world of Muslims."

July 21, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Hana

I wish people would learn more about the Crusades. The media and many modern historians only go over superficial reasons for the events. It was far more complex and interconnected than most people realize.

July 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

There is another Acedemia of Young and Schooled Christian Virtuosos on Campuses abridging themselves. They call their movement "Chistians United For Israel" cufi.org is their website. Not too sure as to how firmly footed they are but as I watched their LIVE Telly Conference on "The Church Channel" last Tuesday, they proclaimed with audasciousness their Ideals in front of an audience of elevated size.

July 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Sara

"Hi, I'm with Cru." "Crew?" "Yea." "Oh, how long have you been rowing?"

July 21, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • Frogist

Why not just stick with CCC? I don't get the change either. It feels like smoke and mirrors.
      "We're Cru! Wanna join?"
      "Sure!" ...signs up...
      "Good! Now go tell people about the Jesus!"
      "Wait, this isn't a rowing club?"
      I kinda hate when organizations choose va-gue names so that you don't know what they are about. Just put it all out there! No subterfuge. And give people an honest chance to decide.

July 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  10. Elemental

For some reason, images from 1985 of Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Mick Mars and Tommy Lee just popped up in my mind.

July 21, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

oh I like that .. you were just in neutral and this popped into your head. ... like a bubble ... pop .. and it was Tommy Lee (etc) like you just hit the channel changer and boink

July 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
  11. RightTurnClyde

I must have used a forbidden combination of letters

July 21, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • RightTurnClyde

I think Christianity in the U.S. will have ended when anyone over 49 will have left (I am trying to avoid bad letters) this place. it is a very small percentage of young people who are Christian

July 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

very few young people read anything .. they do not like to read. They like to watch tv and play games. The tv things they like are springer and dating and game and sports. They do not like to think about it. The movies they like are special effects with cars flying in the air (no plot) the music they like is rhymic rap (no notes) .. they text mnemonics not words. They avoid work. They want the government to give them a living. they have money for pot and tattoos but not for education and they are not affluent

July 21, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Can I see your data to support your statement that there are fewer Christians under 50?

July 21, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Ergo the young are but becoming Tv game telementualists with little harrasings of Religious Theosophies to curtail their hungers for aleviations of ?

July 21, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • Laughing

You sir, are an idiot. To say that Gen X and Millianials do not have the same values and morals as their parents might be correct (Keep in mind, YOU raised us this way), but to assume that no one reads, everyone smokes pot and has tattoos, movies and music have no soul, all of this and more proves that you are incredibly old and out of touch with today's society. Come out from under your rock and enjoy all of the advantages that the modern world has to offer! We promise we won't bite!

July 21, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

Well I can only tell you what I see and hear. You see very few people at Borders or at Barnes and Noble .. and libraries are closing (for lack of demand) and booksellers are going through a lot of mergers and buy outs (hence books are not doing that well). Oh there are the airport book (crossword games and movie star quips .. who go their eyes lifted (and their eyebrows tattooed). Now as for tattoos .. I do not have but to walk into a food store and see tattoos from wrist to shoulder and from ankle to at least knee .. and all over backs and necks and ear areas .. not some little anchor or "mom" thing .. big whole limbs and arm things (are you telling you can't see these things?) Very big with women an men. So they do not like books but they like tattoos. It's not hard to see. Not long ago Obama got elected (so a majority wanted him .. and his message a was free stuff from government and tax those rich folks) (so the majority liked that). Draw your own conclusions. The prisons are crammed with pot violators and they all know how get it... and they get money for it (it's not cheap) but colleges do not reflect the population profiles.. certain minorities tend to be more highly represented there. (other minorities are more highly represented in prisons) draw your own conclusions. (now is this idiotic - perhaps). But if the ones under 50 had gumption there would be no recession (actually a depression) but they don't. They want to smoke pot and live on the dole and avoid books or college. They like sports, games, piercings (dozens of things sticking in them) and free stuff.

July 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Laughing

@RTC You're drawing incredibly idiotic conclusions. First, why are book stores closing like Borders and Barnes & Nobel. It's NOT because no one is reading, it's because E-books are making their huge debut (Amazing is currently outselling paper books with ebooks 3 to 1). To look as.sume bookstores are closing because no one is reading is just plain dumb.

As for tattoos, WHO CARES. What does having a tattoo have to do with anything? So you don't like tattoos, boo-hoo.

Obama got elected becaues he appealed to the democratic base and a lot of independents. It sounds like you have more issues with democrats than young people. Sure most young people ARE democrats, but hey when a presidents says he wants to give equal rights to gay people, work on immigration, cut taxes on the rich, ect... that's not people looking for gov. handouts, that's people voting for equal rights. So again, your conclusions are pretty baseless.

Lastly, pot violaters who are locked up come in all shapes and sizes. It's not just young people. But that's also besides the point, personally I think pot being illegal just fills up prisons and wastes money on a substance that is less harmful than alcohol. You also mentioned something about minorities, but that has nothing to do with the topic at hand (except maybe pointing out that Millenials are the most diverse generation ever in America and that the prison system is quasi-racist).

You said that if anyone under 50 had any gumption we'd pull ourselves out of recession. That's the dumbest comment so far. It's the people 50+ that put our country in the dire straits they are in now and is people that are 50+ that is stopping any sort of recovery because they want to play politics.

And last of all, who doesn't like free stuff?

July 21, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

@LAUGHING Sorry .. they erased what I posted .. oh you are smart .. I am idiotic .. because

It's true about tattoos and pot but who ares? (Oh yes who cares?) But I do not see them as Christians .. you know?
      Alcohol IS worse than pot (traffic accidents. Cobras are worse than rattlesnakes and hornets are worse than bees

prisons are quasi-racist??? is that like Arizona? So what I said about tattoos and pot is really baseless and idiotic ..
      it's not people under 50's fault if we are not producing anything ... because people over 50 caused it? Is that like blame?

Well I was thinking if you had gumption your'd create Private Placement, raise money, and run a business. But I that's dumb isn't it? You can live off the government .. and not be Christian (that's dumb too, right?)

July 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Belloch

RTC,

Do you base everything in your world on stereotypes?

July 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Laughing

@ RTC

All of responses are getting sucked into the ethere so I'll try to post something sweet and simple. Yes you'r still ridiculously ignorant. Yes, you are incredibly old and clearly living in the past if you think that christians can't have tatoos or piercings.

Not only is alcohol worse than pot, but pot is used for medicinal purposes because of its effects, your hornet/bee analogy doesn't really apply because pot is a lot better, not just a little. It's not really evil and why it's illegal in the first place was because of racism (If you don't believe me, look up the history)

As Millenials, we're actually producing quite a lot (facebook, twitter, countless start-ups and business in cali), and it's the old as.sholes like you that are hindering growth and digging us deeper into the problems that you put us in in the first place. We're dealing only with the cards we're dealt, it just sucks that your generation was the dealer.

"You can live off the government .. and not be Christian (that's dumb too, right?)" So your idiocy aside, yes, you can live off the government and not be a christian because thats what our country was founded on. You don't like it? Then get the hel.l out and don't the door hit you.

July 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Frogist

@RightTurnClyde: You sound like Grandpa Simpson. Seriously. Laughing did an awesome job of trying to explain all the stereotypes and ridiculous conclusions you draw. I just don't have the patience to weed through all that. So thanks to Laughing for that. There's a definite generation gap here. And I don't really have any advice for it. Except maybe hanging out with the kids and grandkids some more. I'm just a little flabberghasted by your posts to be honest.

July 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  12. RightTurnClyde

If the CEO started this in 1951 he must be long in the tooth. Campus seminars probably are not such a magnet these days. Christianity is definitely not a hot seller - especially on campus. All of the strange behavior by high profile Christian leaders have not done Christianity a boon. It's probably not a big thing except for old coots like me .. definitely falls off sharply for under 50ish

July 21, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • DamianKnight

The article said the founder died in 2003.

July 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

RightTurnClyde writes; “If the CEO started this in 1951 he must be long in the tooth. Campus seminars probably are not such a magnet these days. Christianity is definitely not a hot seller – especially on campus. All of the strange behavior by high profile Christian leaders have not done Christianity a boon. It's probably not a big thing except for old coots like me definitely falls off sharply for under 50ish”
      July 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

CEO in 51? Expound Please RTC.

Campus Seminarians are yes Cultivated Groups Battling Christian Seminarians but the money Tree where Branches of Elderly Christians are conflagrating the virtuosities of up and coming young evangelists are being shaken hard by Christian Virtuosos with a flare toward Global Unitarianism.

July 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  13. Jenny

I knew Bill Bright and his wife and they were wonderful people. Just because you don't agree with their religious beliefs is no reason to "talk" bad about them....

July 21, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Jesus

Bill Bright made a fortune from the religion business. He lived large and vacationed well. If only those gullible donors knew EXACTLY where their money went.

July 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  14. john316

Why is there so much conversion and brainwashing by these organizations......it it's really all that it's meant to be...you would have people falling down running to get on board ....haven't people learned from the centuries of this nonsense? I guess with each new generation there are "new victims" to be had.......

July 21, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Jesus

It's not about "conversion" as it is about getting new donors, new money! This a business and it does well when cash flow is positive.

July 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  15. thes33k3r

Religion strikes again. People might confuse them with the real 'Crue'....Motley Crue, that is.

July 21, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  16. Reality

CCC does not report their total income to the IRS claiming to be a “Religious Missionary Order (RMO)" thereby one is unable to determine how much the Brights were being paid to promulgate the Christian con game on campuses. Ditto for Mr. Sellers. The EFCA does not provide compensation and salary specifics. As an example of two other Christian con artists, the Grahams get over a $1 million/yr in compensation from their "charities"

July 21, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • CruStudent

Crusade is audited annually by Deloitte, one of the most well respected accounting firms in the world. Crusade also has no central funds. Funding for each missionary is acquired through their own support team donating money to their specific ministry. The amount of support a missionary receives is based upon the cost of living and the size of the family, not on the position in the company. The president of the organization (a Harvard MBA grad) makes the same amount of money as most campus staff. The overhead costs of Campus Crusade are relatively low and the same as many other reputable charitable organizations (such as the Red Cross).

July 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Reality

CruStudent,

Please paste below a copy of the Deloitte report to include the salaries paid to the Brights and Sellers.

With respect to your other "leader":

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers (e.g. the CCC) of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher man would do or say?

July 21, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • CruStudent

While I it won't let me paste the link, if you google campus crusade annual report it will take you to a link for the 2010 annual report, which was completed by ernst and young (not deloitte, sorry). On page 30 you will see a letter from Steve Douglass, the president, which details his salary. Also included is the average salary of both single staff as well as families and an entire report detailing the revenue and expenses of the organization. Campus Crusade is in no way legally obligated to give any of this information, but chooses to do so in order to do the right thing and be transparent with donors and anyone else who may question the financials of the organization. It actually reveals more financial information than most organizations who are legally obligated to report.

July 22, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  17. Nonimus

Huh?
    They get rid of Campus Crusade for Christ, because "crusade" has such a negative connotation, only to replace it with a shortened version of the only word that was causing a problem CRUsade?

July 21, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • DamianKnight

You saw that and scratched your head too, huh? 🙂

July 21, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  18. KAS

More like CRUd.

July 21, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  19. BRB San Deigo

Sure glad I read this article because now I will change my resume and apply for CRU jobs. Can anyone believe there are 25,000 religious morons working for this group? Just another religious tax scam – need to compete with the molester priests.

July 21, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Nick in Milwaukee

BRB, why do you feel the need to call those working for/through Cru morons? Just because they have a different religious view doesn't mean they deserve to be disparaged – or do people only deserve to be above recipient of name-calling if they agree with your world view?
      I'm friends, and financially support, many who work for Cru. It is basically a missionary organization that focuses on college campuses, here and abroad. If you don't agree with what they believe, that's fine, but that doesn't make them morons. In many ways, I think they deserve more respect, as they are living out what they believe, to the extent that it is their full-time job to share with others what they believe (and it's not like they're richly financially compensated to do so – they clearly are not)

July 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • MarkNS

Why does he call Cru workers morons? Because, presumably, their Christians and must, therefore, believe in talking snakes, virgin birth and dudes rising from the dead among many other patently silly beliefs, none of which are supported by any evidence what-so-ever. If that's not moronic, I don't know what is.

July 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • MarkNS

*they're

July 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  20. tired

It's this Christians (or Moslems or any kind of other religions) vs Atheists again. I mean, come on, can we just agree to disagree, live and let live? This is just mere information from CNN.com, there really is no need to attack one another every time there's a report about religion or atheists.

July 21, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • CT

I agree with all of your post except for one word: "moslem". The correct word is "muslim", and many people consider the word you used to be a slur.

July 21, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • gregg

Go right ahead and call them MOSLEMS all you want tired. If CT doesn't like my use of the word to describe these freakish, backwards looking animals with their bankrupt, anti-God, ant-West, anti-Women, anti-Jew, and anti-American "religion" then he can sue me. And yes, just so there's no confusion for you CT, I entirely meant the use of MOSLEM as a direct slur against anything and anyone islamic. Barbarians every one of them.

July 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Free

You, me and most other people can all agree to disagree with the folks who truly believe in astrology, and who actually use it as a guide for living their lives. We might even think them rather quaint, but imagine if their numbers swelled to a sizable percentage of the population, and they begin making political choices based upon how the stars guide them? Vote for a stimulus package? Well, Jupiter isn't in the proper position for such a plan to work, so no, but Venus is rising, so same-se.x marriage is a go.

Sound ridiculous? Well now you know how atheists feel living in a world where people make important decisions according to what their superst.itions allow them. Sorry, but it's really no different than astrology at all.

July 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • JT

@gregg – if you took your truck and visited outside of your one traffic signal town every once in a while, you will see how completely baseless your statement is.

July 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Frogist

@CT: I actually didn't know that so thanks for the tip.
      @gregg: Could your post be any more repulsive?

July 21, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • gregg

@JT Don't get pouty faced with me for pointing out the obvious...Islam equals hate and death of everything not Islam. That includes the U.S., you, me and your sweet little children in their warm safe beds. It's a false religion, with an evil God hateful of all things and all people not Islamic at it's center, and it's adherents are on the losing side of history. If I'm off-base prove me wrong by marching a GOOD Islamic in front of us. Know any that have done anything good in the last 10 years? I'm not talking for the U.S. just some good ANYWHERE. Not one? Shame.

@frogist, Nope, that about covers it. I'll leave the truly repulsive acts to the Islamics, they're masters at it. By thy way, did you realize then when TV footage of people falling to their deaths from the world trade center was shown to Islamic women that they actually cheered? That's right it was on the news. An Islamic mother and her daughter thought it was no big deal that your American husbands, sons, wives, daughters were falling to a horrible prolonged death.

Looking forward to finishing this discussion with you on 9/11 day...

Alllah Akbar!!!!