home
RSS
My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing
Carl Medearis with Sheikh Nabil Qawouk Hezbollah’s number two leader.
July 24th, 2011

My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing

Editor's Note: Carl Medearis is an international expert in Arab-American and Muslim-Christian relations and is author of the book Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism.

By Carl Medearis, Special to CNN

Let’s do an exercise. I want you to fill in the blank on what you think you know about me based on what I’m about to tell you.

Here goes: Twenty years ago, I became a missionary. My wife and I left our home in Colorado Springs, Colorado to move to Beirut, Lebanon. Our job description was to plant churches and evangelize to Muslims.

Based on what I just said, Carl Medearis is a ______________ .

Depending on your background, the blank may look something like this:

Carl Medearis is a... hero of the Christian faith, a saintly super-man willing to sacrifice the comforts of home in order to share the love of Jesus Christ with those who have never heard the gospel.

Or this:

Carl Medearis is a... right-wing extremist who destroys cultures, tears apart families and paves the way for neo-colonialist crusaders to invade, occupy and plunder the resources of local populations.

Quite a range, isn’t it?

For one group of people, the words “evangelist” and “missionary” bring to mind pious heroes performing good deeds that are unattainable for the average Christian. For another group, those same words represent just about everything that’s wrong with the world.

I understand the confusion.

Based on my experiences of living and traveling around the world, I know that religion is often an identity marker that determines people’s access to jobs, resources, civil liberties and political power.

When I lived in Lebanon I saw firsthand how destructive an obsession with religious identity could be. Because of the sectarian nature of Lebanese politics, modern Lebanese history is rife with coups, invasions, civil wars and government shutdowns.

When I tell my Christian friends in America that some of the fiercest militias were (and are) Christian, most are shocked. It doesn’t fit the us-versus-them mentality that evangelism fosters, in which we are always the innocent victims and they are always the aggressors.

This us-versus-them thinking is odd, given that Jesus was constantly breaking down walls between Jews and Gentiles, rich and poor, men and women, sinners and saints. That’s why we have the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Jews in Jesus’ day thought of the Samaritans as the violent heretics, much the same way that Christians think of Muslims today. The idea that a Samaritan could be good was scandalous to first century Jews.

Jesus was the master of challenging religious prejudice and breaking down sectarian walls. Why do so many Christians want to rebuild those walls?

Even the Apostle Paul insisted that it’s faith in Jesus that matters, not converting to a new religion or a new socio-religious identity.

What if evangelicals today, instead of focusing on “evangelizing” and “converting” people, were to begin to think of Jesus not as starting a new religion, but as the central figure of a movement that transcends religious distinctions and identities?

Jesus the uniter of humanity, not Jesus the divider. How might that change the way we look at others?

This is more than just a semantic difference.

When I used to think of myself as a missionary, I was obsessed with converting Muslims (or anybody for that matter) to what I thought of as “Christianity.” I had a set of doctrinal litmus tests that the potential convert had to pass before I would consider them “in” or one of “us.”

Funny thing is, Jesus never said, “Go into the world and convert people to Christianity.” What he said was, “Go and make disciples of all nations.”

Encouraging anyone and everyone to become an apprentice of Jesus, without manipulation, is a more open, dynamic and relational way of helping people who want to become more like Jesus — regardless of their religious identity.

Just because I believe that evangelicals should stop evangelizing doesn’t mean that they should to stop speaking of Jesus.

I speak of Jesus everywhere I go and with everyone I meet.

As founder and president of a company called International Initiatives, my work is aimed at building relationships among Christian leaders in the West and among Muslim leaders in the Middle East.

It may come as a surprise to many Christians that Muslims are generally open to studying the life of Jesus as a model for leadership because they revere him as a prophet.

But now that I’m no longer obsessed with converting people to Christianity, I’ve found that talking about Jesus is much easier and far more compelling.

I believe that doctrine is important, but it’s not more important than following Jesus.

Jesus met people where they were. Instead of trying to figure out who’s “in” and who’s “out,” why don’t we simply invite people to follow Jesus — and let Jesus run his kingdom?

Inviting people to love, trust, and follow Jesus is something the world can live with. And since evangelicals like to say that it’s not about religion, but rather a personal relationship with Jesus, perhaps we should practice what we preach.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Carl Medearis.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Interfaith issues • Opinion

soundoff (3,792 Responses)
  1. Tom Kotner

Carl, your "conversion" and "talk about Jesus" approaches amount to the exact same thing. Just about everyone on this planet is aware of "Jesus" and the concept of having a relationship with him. They know you're talking about Christianity when you talk about Jesus.

As I'm sure you know many religions have a counterpart to the Jesus figure who serves a similar purpose within his or her historical culture. Why is having a relationship with Jesus superior to having one with Allah for example?

Is it possible to have a relationship with both Jesus and Allah or whomever? If they are mutually exclusive are you comfortable asking a Muslim to sever his or her relationship with Allah and replace it with your savior? And conversely would you be open to severing your relationship with Jesus in the same way you are asking others to break off with Allah. If you insist that these relationships must be "exclusive", then you are really asking for conversion and everything you said about "destroying cultures, tearing apart families and paving the way for neo-colonialist crusaders" applies.

July 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • DaveD

"Just about everyone on this planet is aware of "Jesus" and the concept of having a relationship with him."

I believe this staement, which I realize is a generalization, is not representative of the facts. My understanding is that at least %40 of the worlds popoulation has never heard the name Jesus before. Let alone the religion of Christianity. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 billion people wouldn't be included in that 'everyone'.

July 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  2. Pascale

As far as I'm concerned, I have been through enough because of religion and the only motive I see behind all organized religion is power and $$$. If only people used common sense, charity, love, and eliminated all organized religion we would all live in harmony and there would be no more wars, broken families, etc but again some people are out there to make money so...

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • SellJesusLikeBurger

Yep, sell Jesus and God's name for helicopter, or male escorts.

July 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  3. Spiffy

There is no God. There is no proof for his existence. This man is just another Evangelist.

July 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Juan Catorce Seis

Crees que Dios tiene que demostrarte a tí, pobre criatura Su existencia.

July 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  4. Jesse

The author tries to be realistic, open-minded, and understanding of the multicultural world we live in and the majority of you don't have a fraction of the capacity to understand this. You just ramble off scripture quotes or try to bring down the author's views or even his devotion to his religion. There is a reason he is writing for CNN and you are not. It's because you're unintelligent, close-minded, and just can't seem to escape from the bubble you've been trapped in for so long now.

July 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Lulu

Well, the reason he is writing for CNN is for money. He writes about his religious ideas (aside from the current comments on culture, war, and modern day religion) like they are cold hard facts. He cites the bible like it is 100% truth and factual history. That does not make him a genius, it makes him a guy who believes in his religion and writes about it for cash. I just cannot read it as journalism because it is totally skewed from the outset. If I take the bible for what it is, historical mystical fiction, then he might as well be writing about any other book and for that reason this is not an objective report and it is NOT NEWS. So why is it on CNN? It belongs on a Christian web site.

July 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  5. Owen

If it was not a matter of life and death, I would laugh my head off. Why would such a "wise" man write such foolish unscriptural things. A disciple should follow his master and you sir is not following the Jesus of the Bible. You are talking about another Jesus. Maybe the Jesus of Islam. He is not the same as the one we Christians worship as the Lord and God of our life. Sir, you have been deceived by new age doctrine and you need to repent and return to the truth.

July 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • In the name of ...

And you Sir are sadly mistaking Jesus and God !!!

July 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  6. Joe

this guy sounds confused. I would like him to explain Matthew 28 when Jesus said to "make disciples" and "baptize people" Also this guy does not quote Jesus or any other part of the Bible to back his claims

July 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  7. Steve

Carl,

Thanks for the great job of asking hard questions over the years to make us think!

July 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  8. Rose

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son , that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to comdemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. John 3:16, 17 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts4:12 Please pray ask God to save u now in Jesus's name, & we'll see u in heaven .

July 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Spiffy

What proof do you have that God is real?

July 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • gozer

Why again did your purportedly omnipotent sky fairy need to sacrifice anything? And how could it?

Answer: Your religion is a farce. In fact, that whole jeebus-on-a-stick scapegoat stuff isn't even original. It was stolen from prior myths, like much else in Christianity.

July 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Brian

What a way to pervert Jesus' legacy. As an atheist, I believe there was a Jesus. He was a guy who was willing to sacrifice himself to raise the bar on humanity, and paid the ultimate price. And we pay back his sacrifice by perverting every word he ever said, and every act he ever performed into some kind of mumb-jumbo, miracle sideshow. To add insult to injury, every imagined crime has been committed in the name of this "redeemer". Great job Christians! Please feel free to rapture yourselves off the planet at any time.

July 24, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • dwordislear

Goose– Which of the other myths you talk about can be proven through substancial evidences? Jesus Christ is a historical figure, not a myth!

July 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • dwordislear

Brian– You, in fact, have no choice but to believe there was a Jesus. His existance has never been a matter of debate; is a fact. Having said that, what really becomes a matter of debate is whether He actually resurrected or not like the Bible claims. Well, there are also many evidences that points out to His resurrection. Thus, making every single claimed He ever made, as recorded in the Bible, valid and true!

July 24, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  9. Shawn

Really? So, you all don't see the baggage that words like "Christianity' and 'evangelism' bring to the table and just muddy the waters of the essential messaage? If a person takes a step closer to Jesus, what is that? We can discuss the semantics, but can we all agree, that whatever we want to call it, it's good?

July 24, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • SellJesusLikeBurger

Well, any religion is good. Sadly, some people use religion to do bad things. That happens across all religious faith, no exception, for ages. I don't know if there is god or not, I never see god, never feel god, never see any miracle, but it seems like people have all kinds of excuses to misuse god's name for personal purposes.

July 24, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Lulu

"A step closer to Jesus" is measurable how? You are just restating some dogmatic analogy that is completely unquantifiable. That's what happens when you only read Christian writing and only listen to Christian teaching. You start using phrases that are code and part of the insular world of churches created human "leaders" (CEO's and CFO's) who are paid to take your money and make you feel like a virtuous person because you listen to them and pay up.

July 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
  10. Spiffy

We are usually only the religion we are because of the place we were born. If you had been born in Spain you would probably be a Christian. If you were born in Iran you would probably be a Muslim. If you were born in India you would probably be a Hindu. The only reason you are the religion you are is because you were born in a specific place.

July 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • BobCheese

I know some Christians in India and Iran, and for that matter, some Muslims in Spain, who would take issue with your statement.

July 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  11. SellJesusLikeBurger

Christianity is being sold like any commercial products. They lost the original purpose of helping people. They condemn people instead now. Soon enough, people may sell redemption like they did during middle ages, wait that's when Christianity split...history just repeat itself.

July 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  12. Randy

It is important to tell people about Jesus Christ, and His teachings. It is important to inform people that if they do not have an authentic relationship they will go to Hell. That's the facts, and that's what the Bible says.

Once they are told, it is their decision. The ball is in their court.

As a Christian, you have done your duty by telling them. The Holy Spirit will do the rest. End of story.

July 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Spiffy

There is no God. Sorry.

July 24, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
    • Randy

It's perfectly fine for you to say that. At least you have decided what you believe instead of wavering.

However, there can be many wrong answers to 1+1, but there is only one correct answer. How do you know you have the right answer? Just think if you were to die at this moment, what would happen to you?

July 24, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • greeneyedpea

At all times possible, tell people about Christ; as a last resort, use words.

July 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Spiffy

If I were to die at this moment I would be dead. Nothing would happen to me. I would be dead.

What makes you think you are right when there are so many religions out there? When your religion is based on a 1st century preacher who's existence is very questionable. Christianity's story's can all be seen routed in pagan traditions. There is nothing new about them.

July 24, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • VonTrousers

I'm glad you believe that, Randy. And I'm glad you're allowed to believe that. However, I don't and it's nobody's job to convert me. If you're right, good for you; enjoy paradise. It's not your business to prevent me from going to hell. Be confident in your beliefs. Be confident that you're right. Don't worry about me or anyone else. Your beliefs don't gain frequent-flyer points if I believe them too.

July 24, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • jg2112

If God isn't real, there wasn't a major shooting this past week.

July 24, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Angel

I disagree with the author. I believe he doesnt understand the "original definition" of evangelize. It means to bear witness to.
      In otherwords, walk the talk. That is what Jesus did. He didnt shove Christianity into anyone's face. He was a devout Jew.

That's my take on things. have a nice day!

July 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Andrew

You and I seem to have a very different definition of the word 'fact'. I use the word to mean 'a statement supported by heavy amounts of direct evidence.' For example, if I were to drop a ball, and see it fall, I would say 'it is a fact that the ball fell'. I would say 'it is a fact we have found fossils', or 'it is a fact we have observed a microwave background radiation', or 'it is a fact we observe gravitational lensing'. (I then expand this to 'Theory' when talking about large explanatory bodies supported by 'facts')

But 'if you don't believe in jesus you go to hell' doesn't seem to qualify as a 'fact'. I have not a ton of independent evidence jesus existed, though I have some. I have none, save the bible, to indicate a hell exist, or that belief in jesus is required to prevent going to hell. And the bible has no independent verification, calling that 'fact' to me is a lot like calling Harry Potter 'fact'.

So, I'm curious, what's your definition of the word 'fact', because unless you can show a great deal of evidence, I don't think you have the same definition as me.

July 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Spiffy

Actually there was a major shooting this weekend. There was a shooting because one guy thought his god was better then the other guys god. I wonder who won.

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • SellJesusLikeBurger

Roman Empire hunted and killed Christian until Roman Emperor Constantine decided to use Christianity to help him fight civil war, then he made Christian be the religion of Roman Empire, even he still worshiped Apollo. What should be included in the Bible or excluded from the Bible is decided by the Roman Scholars. Probably for the benefit of Roman Empire. The bible is being compiled by human for human's purpose, not really god's work, if there is one.

July 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Glibertarian

"That's the facts, and that's what the Bible says."

That is your belief. It is not a fact. The Bible is collection of stories handed down over many generations. It's contents may not be "facts" or may have been exaggerated, misinterpreted or altered (intentionally or otherwise). While those contents may be **true,** we will never know for sure & it is impossible to presently describe anything in the Bible as a "fact" anymore than flying saucers, Bigfoot, the Bermuda Triangle, the JFK conspiracy, etc. They are merely some views that a large number of people share, that may or may not be true.

July 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Brian

You're right. Jesus was a man who sacrificed himself to raise the bar on humanity, and Christians have perverted that legacy to bend people to their will. He was killed by the Romans on behalf of the leaders of his own people, the Pharisees. It IS important to tell people about a man named Jesus who died for his beliefs. It's also important to note the distinction between the myth concocted by Christian churches, and the "facts".

July 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • SellJesusLikeBurger

Where is the historical fact that Jesus even exist? People want to believe all loving god would sacrifice his own son for humanity, that don't make it a fact. Would you sacrifice your own son for humanity? Should Hitler's mom and dad killed their son for humanity?

July 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  13. theorycraft

well it seems to me that christianity is a hat.... christians don't usually wear it except when they go out to evangelize or go on missions trips. So that's why the aggressive pushing... almost like a verbal struggle against evil itself...a holy war of some kind to turn heathens into God-loving angels. Then when they come back, they take off the hat, have real personalities again, are human with desires and flaws... maybe it makes them feel good about themselves? Or they think that they have more confidence and authority if they're sent by God himself to purify the soulless?

Either way, they won't stop and religion is flawed. But hey, the bible teaches some good traditional values and is a root of American culture so its good to come back to it once in a while. Plus many Christians are hurt/lost children themselves who have found a loving and supportive communty... but their scars steal their ability to really love, which requires vulnerability

July 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
  14. P54

Jesus Christ said Himself He is the way, truth and life. Anyone not confessing that Jesus Christ is God come in flesh is of the Antichrist. Now we need to find balance, but not compromise as to deny the truth. The Jesus Christ we need to preach is not a prophet Jesus, however that He is God and lowered Himself to be born of a virgin woman, become man and to die for our sins. Only Jesus Christ is a sinless Savior that could possibly die for our sins and deliver us from them. No other religion can offer a sinless Savior.

The preaching of the truth was commanded by Jesus in Matthew 28, 18-20: 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Now, the preaching of the truth does not mean it is going to be the most popular: Matthew 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

There is much talk about peace, true peace comes only through the Lord Jesus Christ and He has something to say about it:

Read Matthew 10, 34-39:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

These scriptures are fulfilled in many peoples lives throughout the world as they turn from false religions and accept Jesus Christ as their Savior. Even their own families turn against them and kill them. Jesus did not come to bring peace on earth, but peace with God to everyone who accepts Him as their Savior. Here in the west where the Christian religion is accepted there is usually no conflict when a family member accepts Christ as Savior, however we need to pray for the poor people that turn to Christ in countries where other religions are dominant. And also pray that the nations that was founded upon Christ do not forget what they have by embracing foreign religions that leads people into bondage. Turning our backs to Jesus and the Bible and promoting dead foreign religion will only bring disaster.

July 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Spiffy

There is no God.

July 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • sand

where in the Bible does it say that if you don't believe in Jesus, you will go to Hell? would a two year old that has never had a chance to make up their own mind be cast into eternal suffering?

also, there might or might not be a God and it's ok to ask the hard questions and to wrestle with spirituality. Jesus was the most compassionate with those that sought to wrestle with God and belief, and was the most critical of the religious that thought they knew everything.

July 24, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • McMAN71

I think that you have missed the point, because what you have done is paint Christianity as cult in which you have to follow
      every word that the supreme being says or you will burn. If you truly pay attention to what you are maintaining, and if it is true, then maybe Satan isn't the bad guy. or maybe you just have no clue as to who Jesus actually was.

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • sand

@P54 – are you saying that Jesus is therefore a false prophet? i mean it says here:

1 This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem:

2 In the last days

the mountain of the LORD’s temple will be established
      as the highest of the mountains;
      it will be exalted above the hills,
      and all nations will stream to it.

3 Many peoples will come and say,

“Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD,
      to the temple of the God of Jacob.
      He will teach us his ways,
      so that we may walk in his paths.”
      The law will go out from Zion,
      the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.
      4 He will judge between the nations
      and will settle disputes for many peoples.
      They will beat their swords into plowshares
      and their spears into pruning hooks.
      Nation will not take up sword against nation,
      nor will they train for war anymore.

5 Come, descendants of Jacob,
      let us walk in the light of the LORD.

it seems that there will be no more war, no more suffering when the savior comes. it also seems that Christians had 2000 years to get this right and even now, there is a constant state of war and disease, panic, death, and all those unpleasant things.

July 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

"Lay up no treaures upon this world for the Kingdom of your God is Inside you. Be thee satisfied that your Days are Numbered and upon your deathbed will Come the LORD of Hosts who will Lay Claim to that which is INSIDE you and is One's God you know Not but did build you from conception and did take nourishment from your digestion of Food and drink!"

July 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  15. Spiffy

So he is an evangelist but defines it differently.

July 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  16. Ryan

He makes a good point. It is not up to us to know who has recieved salvation or who has not. God is the discerner of hearts and knows all men and has no need that anyone should testify of man (John 2:24-25). We should present the gospel and let God do the rest. It is not up to us to save, God saves.

July 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Mike

Ryan, you got it right. We cannot convert or save. The only thing we can do is obey Jesus and share the Gospel. The rest is up to the Holy Spirit.

July 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Jose

You shall know them by their fruits?

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Of god God and GOD and of GODDESS. Goddess and goddess and man, Men and MEN like WOMEN. Women and womwn for Such is the WORD, Word and word in the KING"S ENGLISH! Learn it or just Promo-Guilt and Shamelessness In Your OWNLINESS.

July 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  17. frank

Jesus sucks.

July 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  18. Dee

This guy is laughable. Jesus said he came to divide, even family members if they don't believe. Why did he tell his followers to go and preach the gospel to every nation? The only people who are 'united' as a group are the ones who accept him.

July 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • McMAN71

I hope that you are being sarcastic, because otherwise you have missed his whole point. Jesus was never about amassing followers, in fact he wasn't even about starting a new religion (Christianity), that came MUCH later. He was about loving everyone, accepting all and trying to make a positive change in the world. Unforunately, much of evangelical Chritianity has missed that point.

July 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Hamen

@McMAN71

The Gospel of John is very clear that Jesus came to amass followers. It is true that Jesus came to set an example for us so that we can know how to love everyone, but it is also true that Jesus came to establish His kingdom. It is also very clear from the gospels that Jesus is God and that He has come to gather people to Himself, not just to teach.

July 24, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  19. Muneef

The Truth has already prevailed through a Baby sent by GOD as a reminder;

Quranic verses are written on a baby's skin who is born in Russia-Dagestan. Each week a new verse is written. The parents says that he wouldn't eat anything in the month of Ramadan till Iftar time ( he used to fast ). 2000 person per day visits the baby. For more info:

July 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Muneef

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLhnAAs3yak&w=640&h=360]

July 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • sand

you do realize that what is happening to the baby is child abuse right?

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Muneef

"Soon We will show them our Signs in the (furthest) regions (of the earth), and in their own souls, until it becomes manifest to them that this is the Truth" (Quran, surah Fussilat s.41 v.53).

July 24, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
    • Muneef

Sand.

Are you now accusing GOD of child abuse for showing verses on his skin?? That what it is;

July 24, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • asrael

This "miracle" reported over two years ago, no further news since, plenty of theories as to how humans contributed to the magic writing. Best to stay away from people with bridges to sell...

July 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • sand

no, i'm accusing their parents of child abuse. also, what does your verse have anything to do with a baby with writing on his/her skin?

July 24, 2011 at 6:12 pm |
    • Pastafarian

omg, this is blatant and obvious child abuse. religion sucks. all of it.

July 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • sand

this falls along the same line as the hacks trying to pass off the shroud of Turin as a miracle, the face of our Messiah on a piece of toast, etc, etc. why in the world would the greatest power in the universe write on a baby's skin that lives in the middle of nowhere? i thought that the Almighty would be able to do something a little more interesting than that. in addition, isn't it blasphemy to write quran's verses on someone's skin?

July 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Muneef

Sand.
      Are you serious this phonomina was watched and supervised by team of Doctors and Religious one's to insure of no fraud in it...this is no pen writing but rather body natural colors such as the pink or red or green colors of bruises...come and go alone... It is true that this issue is 2 years old and no longer might have the same thing of writing but at least it shows that there are things we cannot explain.. GOD has made many mericales or phonominas for people to take heed but always there have been excuses to denny the truth...what more to expect from GOD to give you leads to take heed of... Seems some said that they wanted to see GOD and His Angels before they would believe for which GOD has answered with this verse with a promise;
      ---

[2:210] Are they waiting until GOD Himself comes to them in dense clouds, together with the angels? When this happens, the whole matter will be terminated, and to GOD everything will be returned.*

Miracles Bring Greater Responsibility*
      [2:211] Ask the Children of Israel how many profound miracles have we shown them! For those who disregard the blessings bestowed upon them by GOD, GOD is most strict in retribution.

Shortsightedness
      [2:212] This worldly life is adorned in the eyes of the disbelievers, and they ridicule those who believe. However, the righteous will be far above them on the Day of Resurrection. GOD blesses whomever He wills, without limits.

Disastrous Jealousy
      [2:213] The people used to be one community when GOD sent the prophets as bearers of good news, as well as warners. He sent down with them the scripture, bearing the truth, to judge among the people in their disputes. Ironically, those who received the scripture were the ones who rejected any new scripture, despite clear proofs given to them. This is due to jealousy on their part. GOD guides those who believe to the truth that is disputed by all others, in accordance with His will. GOD guides whoever wills in a straight path.*

[2:214] Do you expect to enter Paradise without being tested like those before you? They were tested with hardship and adversity, and were shaken up, until the messenger and those who believed with him said, "Where is GOD's victory?" GOD's victory is near.

July 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  20. imeubu

Wow! So science and evolution prove what? We are fairly sure we know of 14 Billion years of "evolution" (in this the known universe) and we have sensient "written record" for maybe 10,000 years or so... 50 years of which we can say we have begun (thanks to the computer) to "record" with anything close to the detail required for reasonable scientific enquiry. Tell me again what you think you "know"... here... write it on the back of this pack of matches. Get real... do you really think "we" are the first... that somehow an infinite number of permutations and combinations that we know must have come before somehow missed the mark. Think where we'll be in another 50 – 100 years... if we are allowed to continue... we will be gods... creating life, living forever. How come we can do it and "God" can't possibly exist or have done something similar.

July 24, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Dee

You're assumptions are more difficult to believe that the Bible record. "Fairly sure?" Anyway, this story is for people concerned with religion and if you don't have any – then why are you on here?

July 24, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • imeubu

Dee... read my post again... I know I'm not the best communicator but I'm saying Science is proving that "believers" are more likely to be right than "doubters".

July 24, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • AGuest9

It's a slow news day for atheists. 🙂

July 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • frank

Your post is somewhat unconvincing. I'm guessing if it were at all coherent, it would be even less convincing.

July 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
About this blog