home
RSS
My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing
Carl Medearis with Sheikh Nabil Qawouk Hezbollah’s number two leader.
July 24th, 2011

My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing

Editor's Note: Carl Medearis is an international expert in Arab-American and Muslim-Christian relations and is author of the book Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism.

By Carl Medearis, Special to CNN

Let’s do an exercise. I want you to fill in the blank on what you think you know about me based on what I’m about to tell you.

Here goes: Twenty years ago, I became a missionary. My wife and I left our home in Colorado Springs, Colorado to move to Beirut, Lebanon. Our job description was to plant churches and evangelize to Muslims.

Based on what I just said, Carl Medearis is a ______________ .

Depending on your background, the blank may look something like this:

Carl Medearis is a... hero of the Christian faith, a saintly super-man willing to sacrifice the comforts of home in order to share the love of Jesus Christ with those who have never heard the gospel.

Or this:

Carl Medearis is a... right-wing extremist who destroys cultures, tears apart families and paves the way for neo-colonialist crusaders to invade, occupy and plunder the resources of local populations.

Quite a range, isn’t it?

For one group of people, the words “evangelist” and “missionary” bring to mind pious heroes performing good deeds that are unattainable for the average Christian. For another group, those same words represent just about everything that’s wrong with the world.

I understand the confusion.

Based on my experiences of living and traveling around the world, I know that religion is often an identity marker that determines people’s access to jobs, resources, civil liberties and political power.

When I lived in Lebanon I saw firsthand how destructive an obsession with religious identity could be. Because of the sectarian nature of Lebanese politics, modern Lebanese history is rife with coups, invasions, civil wars and government shutdowns.

When I tell my Christian friends in America that some of the fiercest militias were (and are) Christian, most are shocked. It doesn’t fit the us-versus-them mentality that evangelism fosters, in which we are always the innocent victims and they are always the aggressors.

This us-versus-them thinking is odd, given that Jesus was constantly breaking down walls between Jews and Gentiles, rich and poor, men and women, sinners and saints. That’s why we have the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Jews in Jesus’ day thought of the Samaritans as the violent heretics, much the same way that Christians think of Muslims today. The idea that a Samaritan could be good was scandalous to first century Jews.

Jesus was the master of challenging religious prejudice and breaking down sectarian walls. Why do so many Christians want to rebuild those walls?

Even the Apostle Paul insisted that it’s faith in Jesus that matters, not converting to a new religion or a new socio-religious identity.

What if evangelicals today, instead of focusing on “evangelizing” and “converting” people, were to begin to think of Jesus not as starting a new religion, but as the central figure of a movement that transcends religious distinctions and identities?

Jesus the uniter of humanity, not Jesus the divider. How might that change the way we look at others?

This is more than just a semantic difference.

When I used to think of myself as a missionary, I was obsessed with converting Muslims (or anybody for that matter) to what I thought of as “Christianity.” I had a set of doctrinal litmus tests that the potential convert had to pass before I would consider them “in” or one of “us.”

Funny thing is, Jesus never said, “Go into the world and convert people to Christianity.” What he said was, “Go and make disciples of all nations.”

Encouraging anyone and everyone to become an apprentice of Jesus, without manipulation, is a more open, dynamic and relational way of helping people who want to become more like Jesus — regardless of their religious identity.

Just because I believe that evangelicals should stop evangelizing doesn’t mean that they should to stop speaking of Jesus.

I speak of Jesus everywhere I go and with everyone I meet.

As founder and president of a company called International Initiatives, my work is aimed at building relationships among Christian leaders in the West and among Muslim leaders in the Middle East.

It may come as a surprise to many Christians that Muslims are generally open to studying the life of Jesus as a model for leadership because they revere him as a prophet.

But now that I’m no longer obsessed with converting people to Christianity, I’ve found that talking about Jesus is much easier and far more compelling.

I believe that doctrine is important, but it’s not more important than following Jesus.

Jesus met people where they were. Instead of trying to figure out who’s “in” and who’s “out,” why don’t we simply invite people to follow Jesus — and let Jesus run his kingdom?

Inviting people to love, trust, and follow Jesus is something the world can live with. And since evangelicals like to say that it’s not about religion, but rather a personal relationship with Jesus, perhaps we should practice what we preach.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Carl Medearis.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Interfaith issues • Opinion

soundoff (3,792 Responses)
  1. Dave

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Has anyone read:

Mark 16:15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

This is often called the Great Commission. Jesus is commanding to evangelize all people.

July 24, 2011 at 8:57 am |
  2. Brian

Kum ba ya. Carl doesn't even mention that Muslims do not believe that Jesus died for sin. His "gospel" is heresy.

July 24, 2011 at 8:55 am |
    • Tmaxims

What ever pulpit pimp you paid to put that in your head should be on death row eating his last supper. You judging others based on your alternate dimension's version of the Middle Eastern myths proffered by some goat herds a couple thousand years ago...not very "Christian" of you.

July 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  3. whatever

Notinterestedinwastingadayofmylifeinanychurch

July 24, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  4. adam

Oh how I do wish you Christians really would stop evangelizing........I'm getting so tired of having to open my door and slap strangers.

July 24, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  5. keylargo

The fruits of the evangelicals was demonstrated in Norway this week.No way they can avoid responsibility. When they teach fantasy there will be psychos that distort it and use it to terrorize.

July 24, 2011 at 8:53 am |
  6. BUICK

How about a follow-up piece on "Why Muslims Should Stop Killing Innocent Civilians"?

July 24, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Roger Yargah

Like that darn Muslim, Timothy McVeigh . . .

July 24, 2011 at 8:59 am |
    • JD

You just didn't get the whole point of this article, did you?

July 24, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • MT

Buick, your view is myopic and paints every Muslim with a broad brush. After all, many Christians commit murder, divorce, adultery, to name a few. This does not mean all Christians are murderers. Right? Instead of oversimplifying, why not hold the actual criminals accountable for their crimes?

July 24, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  7. Beatrice

Jesus' great commission of evangelism made all the difference in the world history. Evangelism was one of the driving force of Western Civilization's exploration, expedition and expansion into the outer world sphere and brought down various barbaric practices of mankind, making the world a lawful, civilized and modern place eventually. There were abuses by Europeans, yes, but barbarians were killing each other and oppressing women and children in all cultures anyway. The Gospel was the only religion with sure salvation; other religions found no reason for outer expansions and were not that intelligent either. Exception is: the spread of Islam was halted by force because of its nature.

July 24, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • John Richardson

THe fruits of evangelism were the dark ages. The west explored and learned and led the way to the modern world despite Christianity, not because of it.

July 24, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  8. Henry

@GulfSniper91 – I witness to people about my faith and always give them the free will to do what they want because ultimately it is their decision".
    -–
    Why are you "giving them the free will". God gives people the free will to do things. Why must you witness to people about your faith? Because that is what you feel the Bible tells you to do? This mindset is exactly the problem. I don't even want you to tell me about your faith. And for you to come up with your patronizing "free will" comment makes it look like you are the one with all the answers and I (and others) should simply just listen to what you have to say and make an "appropriate" decision. Do your talking in your church and don't expose me to your "noise".

July 24, 2011 at 8:45 am |
    • Howard

Agreed. So-called evangelicals need to realize that the very act of witnessing their own faith to others is easily perceived as an affront to the faiths of others. The only justification for such an affront is your belief that your faith is superior to all others. What un-Christian arrogance! It is enough to let others know your faith and its principles exist, and then let them come to you if they are moved to do so. That's called "living your faith," instead of just witnessing it.

July 24, 2011 at 8:56 am |
  9. Alan

Jesus said: "I have not come to bring peace, but a sword." Jesus said "He who is not with me, is against me." The whole point of Christianity is to bring people to Christ. "Go out into the whole world, preaching the Good News, and baptising in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit." How do you make a disciple of someone if they don't become a believer?! That's like saying I'm a disciple of Muhammad but I don't believe in the truth of the Islamic faith. You'd think I was an idiot, and you'd be right! Christianity teaches that there is one path to eternal life: Through Jesus. Period. You don't like it? Fine. Go your own way. But these editorials by psuedo-Christians who tell us Jesus just wanted us to all get along, no matter what our faith, are not Christianity. If some Christians are militants and idiots, than they'll get what they deserve in the long run. They're idiots. But please do me a favor: stop idicting the whole Christian church based on a few morons, and stop displaying the kind of tripe written above as Christianity. It isn't. Not in any Bible ever printed.

July 24, 2011 at 8:44 am |
    • Henry

And Alan, stop judging the Muslim faith based on a few "morons". The way I see it there is not much difference between the way the extremists from both faiths behave. Let's all just be quiet and stick to your own business and allow me to stick to mine. Your "calling" to tell everybody the good news is not superior to my right not to have to listen to you.

July 24, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Mr.Agnos

You're replyis laced with anger. You pick one quote about the sword and hide behind one fleck of a comment made over 2000 years ago as a way of dismisively denouncing another viewpoint. Pure intolerance. Speaking from the middle.

July 24, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • Howard

Oh, Alan, wake up already! Everything written in the Bible that Jesus supposedly said was written decades and centuries after Jesus died. Given the human capacity for exaggeration and its inability to accurately relate facts from one person to another, as well as the extremely human tendency to pile on their own personal agendas to any message, you really ought to know better than to believe anything written for the first time decades and centuries after the fact.

July 24, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • Michael C

Alan, my thoughts exactly!

July 24, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • MT

Alan, I think you read too fast. The 'indictment' was not on Christians or Christianity, but an opinion on evangelism versus living the life in Christ and having a dialogue about it. You came out swinging. Does this mean you are the new Jim Baker?

July 24, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  10. Chris

I am not sure I understand the goal of this article. I get that as Christians we should be known for "our love" and not for notching conversions on our belt. However, the general perception I am left with is that we should be satisfied with a sort of pluralistic acceptance of Jesus. Jesus called everyone to follow Him as the ONLY way to the Father. Leaving Jesus as a "leadership model" does not represent his status as the only Son of God. I agree that we are not responsible for changing hearts, merely presenting the Gospel. However that Gospel cannot be watered down to be "acceptable". Life changes happen through a radical heart change that Jesus provides which may (and likely will) cause persecution and hate to arise from those who do not understand or follow.

July 24, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • Michael C

Spot on! What is the end result of these approaches? Watered-down chit chat.

July 24, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Mr.Agnos

He is not the only son of God. We're all children of God. Assuming there is just one god, then each child of god will eventually answer to God when they leave this life, regardless of religion or locale. Pretty logical. With more than 6 billion children of God on Mother Earth, not everyone will learn of Christianity or ever be converted. This simply will never happen. Yetx God still loves all his children. Right?

July 24, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Joeymom

Do you have any idea how many religious teachers in world history have a quote similar to "I am the Light and I am the Way"? Even the Bible recognizes that God is not so stupid that He would only speak one language to one people with one kind of experience.

July 24, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Chris

According to Scripture, God has revealed himself to man through his creation. It also states that just as sin entered the world through one man (Adam) so is the world redeemed through one man (Jesus) by His sacrificial atonement. The goal of evangelizing is not to "convince" anyone but rather to share the truth and let them decide what they will. Where Christians tend to get in trouble is in feeling responsible for the acceptance of the message. Our charge was never to convert everyone but to share with everyone and to baptize and disciple those who believe.

July 25, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  11. afkbrad

Democrats hate Christians so it's best not to evangelize to them. Leave them alone; they don't want to hear about the Bible. They hate all religion and especially Christians. Christians have a moral code and democrats don't believe in moral codes for society.

July 24, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • Vernon

Only the fake so called Christians should sit down and start reading the Bible and stay out of politics!!!! A real Christians job is to spread the Word of God and His Son Jesus not the work of Karl Rove and the Koke Brothers!!!

July 24, 2011 at 8:51 am |
    • Henry

Hey afkbrad,

I am a Democrat and a Christian. I just don't like the Republican form of Christianity.

July 24, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • Mr.Agnos

Pure intolerance. Not a Christian ideal nor the.basis for getting along in peace.

July 24, 2011 at 9:10 am |
    • Deuce

Democrats hate Christians.... If that's not the stupidest thing I have heard this week.... One has nothing to do with the other.

Are the Christian Democrats self haters or are they not true believers in your view?

July 24, 2011 at 9:12 am |
    • MT

You really made me laugh! I mean, a really good chuckle. Are you Rick Perry?

July 24, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  12. Cindy

I am afraid this author has forgotten what it means to trust Christ and has not studied his New Testament in awhile.

True Christians believe Jesus came to earth – that is God come to earth in the form of a man named Jesus – to save us from our sins so we can have eternal life with God. Not to be considered an example of leadership or another prophet. Jesus is the Savior of the World!

He died on the cross and rose again so by having faith in Him, we too will rise again to live with God in Heaven. Yes, Jesus did come to show us how to live a Godly life, but simply following His example will not provide for eternal life with God. Continuing to worship Buda but being kind in Jesus' example will not save you. Continuing to follow the Muslim faith but using Jesus as an example of leadership will not save you.

"If you confess with you mouth, 'Jesus is Lord', and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, youwill be saved" Paul's words in Romans 10:9.

Paul spent his life bringing the good news of Christ to those who did not know Him – he preached to the Jews early on to try to "convert" them to knowing and believing that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah they had been waiting before. Once they "converted", that is once they came to believe Christ was their Savior, was the promised Messiah, he helped them establish their church – that is they left their previous "religious beliefs" and came to follow Christ.

Jesus was fully aware that He would bring division in the world and in homes and families. Remember His words in Matthew 10:34-39
    "Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
    a daughter against her mother,
    a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
    36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]

37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it."

True Christians and true evangelicals are concerned not with "converting" people to their way of thinking and making them believe their religion. They want to share the TRUTH of Christ with the world so those who choose to believe will have everlasting life with God!! This is to disciple to all the Nations!!! If that makes a mother hate her son who had lived the Muslim faith but then put his faith and trust in Jesus as his Lord and Savior, that would not upset Jesus! Based on Jesus' own words.

And lastly, just to correct some things spoken in the article, Jesus was not constantly breaking down walls between Gentiles and Jews, he traveled almost exclusively within the Jewish community – yes, he came in contact with gentiles but he focused on the Jews. It was the disciples after Jesus' death who reached out to the gentiles. And the Jews were not afraid of the Samaritans because they were the "violent heretics", they hated the Samaritans because they were just part Jew, they were from lineage that was part Jew part gentile and the Samaritans did not follow the laws of the Jews. The Parable of the Good Samaritan is to show how one hated by the Jews still took the time to stop and help the Jewish traveler in need while the other two of the Jewish faith walked on by! It was to show how many of the Jews of the day had put "The Law" ahead of compassion, for which he would speak to more, and eventually establish the New Covenant of faith in Christ rather than the law of the Old Covenant.

July 24, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • TerriTriple

Thanks for taking the time to list all that information......

July 24, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • John Richardson

Samaritans did and do follow the laws of Moses.

July 24, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • Joeymom

Which translation are you using?

July 24, 2011 at 10:14 am |
    • Correction

Actually, 'True Christians' don't believe that Jesus was God. He never said he was. He said he was God's Son.
      The Trinity is a pagan doctrin not found in the Bible.
      The scriptures you try to use to refute this will also indicate that Jesus and his disciples are 'one'. Does that mean they are 'God' too?

July 24, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Jessica

Cindy, thanks so much for taking the time to post what the Bible really says. It's easy for people to say what they think the Bible says while at the same time distorting the Truth. It's nice to see actual scripture references presented so that there is no distortion.

In response to what "Correction" posted...I'm sorry but you are mistaken in your claims that the Trinity is some made-up idea not supported and proven throughout scripture. Here are some scripture references that say talk about the fact that JESUS IS GOD:

John 1:1 – "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
      – Those who study scripture also know that Jesus is commonly referred to as "The Word".

Isaiah 54:5 – "For your Maker is your husband, the LORD Almighty is his name. The Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer;
      he is called the God of all the earth."
      – This verse clearly states that the "Redeemer" (Jesus) is also called "God of all the earth".

There are other verses, as well, that demonstrate that Jesus is God. I hope you will take the time to truly study scripture!

July 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  13. Trish

Hey friends, will you visit HelpFaye.ORG a friend of mine is fighting for her life... thanks

July 24, 2011 at 8:36 am |
    • What?

Everyone dies. let her go.

July 24, 2011 at 8:41 am |
  14. BF

If people would stop looking for their magic magic parent who lives in the clouds, these evangelical types would have no effect. As long as we are hooked on childish (and rather violent) fairy tales, these foolish evangelicals will remain powerful and a serious problem.

July 24, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • Joeymom

Not all religions are based on the sky, nor do they all use the parent-child metaphor for a relationship with the Divine. OK to follow some of those other mythic understandings of cosmos?

July 24, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  15. whatever

1ell,todayissSundaysoiI'llplaygolfwhileyouallgointoyouseperatehousesofbigotr

July 24, 2011 at 8:33 am |
    • TerriTriple

I went yesterday, so I can play golf today, too. Perhaps you should try my church.....

July 24, 2011 at 8:47 am |
  16. bruce

Carl, a lot of what you say panders perfectly into the New York CNN crowd. Christian religion is bad, religion is disruptive, etc.

The fact is that nations that are primarily composed of Christians are more stable and prosperous. This is not by a narrow margin, this is by an ENORMOUS margin. Any basic research shows this conclusively.

Read "Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi. All PEOPLE are created EQUAL. All CULTURES are NOT EQUAL. Some cultures that degrade women, are in perpetual war (suni/shia) and spread violence are not good cultures.

Grouping all religions together as having the same effect is dishonest. Basically a pandering to the modern media.

July 24, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • What?

Because they have subjugated those other cultures long before you were born. Christians are killers, thieves and destroyers of other cultures.

July 24, 2011 at 8:37 am |
    • TerriTriple

What a brilliant response....Despite the fact that it was immediately attacked (by those motivated to avoid the duties and responsibilities of being a Christian).

July 24, 2011 at 8:43 am |
    • chf

You base your junk science on assumptions, ignorance and bias towards christianity. Western nations have been prosperous because of separation of church & state. They don't allow religion to dictate governance. They just happen to be predominantly christian, but that in itself has bearing on their success. Besides, christianity has caused countless suffering and justified brutality over the centuries. That's the risk when any large group of people tries to use religion to make rational decisions.

July 24, 2011 at 8:47 am |
    • What?

Back when there was no separation of Church and state we had the Dark Ages.

July 24, 2011 at 9:02 am |
    • Henry

Yup, more stable and prosporous. These Christians just have a tighter control of their non-Christian neighbors.

July 24, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • John Richardson

Ja-pan is plenty stable and prosperous. The wealth of the west followed the rise of secularism, scientism and industrial and post-industrial capitalism in the west, none of which Christianity can claim credit for.

July 24, 2011 at 9:09 am |
  17. TerriTriple

This article is a description of an individual's realization in a journey of how to become better at his job. The problem I have is that the article writer assumes that everyone else in that profession is at the same place that he is. Although the article may enlighten some, there are many that it won't. So despite the good motives, I don't believe that this writer's realizations deserve national distribution.

Furthermore, the Bible clearly says that if your message is refused, to shake the dust off your feet and don't go back. So the fact that it has taken this long for the author to arrive at "his" conclusion, tells me that the author needs to lean more on the Bible and God in his endeavors, rather than trying to figure things out for himself.

July 24, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • Joeymom

Rather than figure things out for himself? Can you clarify that? Because it is an unfortunate remark as it stands.

July 24, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • just an obseerver

"just trying to figure out for himself..." So if you have a problem, you look for solution in a book written by men ( come to think of it, how come there's no chapter in the bible written by a woman, most significantly by Mary Magdalene, one of Christ's faithful follower and can be considered one of His disciples? I'm sure she's got a lot to say about Jesus.), instead of figuring out the solution yourself and use one of God's great gifts, the power of thinking and free will. They say blind faith is dangerous. I f you don't question your faith, you're just a blind follower. Even Jesus questioned His father on the cross:
      "Father, why have you forsaken me?" But his faith is so strong that He let God's will be done...

July 25, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  18. BeLogical

I am Muslim. At some point of my youth I was exploring christianity and read the Bible every night and day. After several months of learning, observing, and questioning, I came to realization that Christianity and Islam want to achieve the same thing with different philosophies and approaches. However, I personally found that Islamic approach is more rational and humane than Christian approch. For example, in Christianity the only road to salvation is to "follow Jesus". What does this mean? There are several interpretations to this statement. One of the things I should do to follow Jesus, for example, is to "love my enemies" and give them my other cheek. Ok, does this mean I should love the murderer of my family or rapist of my sister? How fair is that to the victims? The only answer I get from Christians, "ya, it is hard to follow Jesus". Really? So, you can see how intellectually sticky and confusing it gets. The lack of well defined system in Christianity is part of the reason why Chrisitans were murdering alot of Jews during past 2000 years, while Middle East was had up to 25% Christian and Jews during past 1400 years in Islamic world. Of course due to the Arab nationalistic movement in the past 50 years and negative influence of Zionism caused the Christian and Jews to leave. Which brings me to another point. When I read about Jesus in Quran and Bible, I saw a leader. In Quran, he defended his mother while still an infant, and according to the Gospels he challenged the authority and common belief. Now, I don't see any evangelist challenging the Zionists unjust policies against Palestinian poeple (infact they are helping Israel to do this and expand). In the name of Bible, Jewish people have to come back and tacke away the land of others by any means. Now, how different is this from radicals who claim that if I kill myself and take with me innocent souls, then I will go to heaven. Don't you see a problem with this picture? I do, and that's why I chose to be rational, moderate and humane Muslim.

July 24, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • TerriTriple

Although logic is valuable, the shortcoming of logic is that you cannot get to heaven by being logical. Furthermore, it seems that you are relying on logic to determine which "leader" to follow. The human mind is subject to many weaknesses. I.e. rationalization, prejudice, etc. If you trust your own mind to determine that which you know nothing about (spiritual matters), you are like someone lost in a forest who keep going in circles. Jesus is a Savior; someone who can guide you out of the forest and take you to heaven. No other religion provides a savior who showed us that He has the power over death. This information gives a powerful basis for a belief in this person, more so than any other prophet or teacher. Hope that helps you understand why I choose to follow Jesus.

July 24, 2011 at 8:37 am |
    • BeLogical

Well I respect your opinion of just being spiritual and not rational as long as you are just and good to others. Your argument still does not answer concerns of many people. All what you are doing is insulting humanity by saying rational thought is getting you nowhere. Thank to God I am Muslim. God commanded us to believe in one and only one God, and, according to Holly Quran, we were given brain and knowledge. Use your brain brother, it is a gift from God. Jesus would want to use it too.

July 24, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • John Richardson

@TerriTriple Ah, another haughty spirit who thinks he has assured himself a path to heaven.

July 24, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  19. Lee

Of course we should stop evangelizing.It's a way of saying "I'm better than you", "God likes me better than you" – anyreligion worth believing in should be spread by others seeing the goodness and happiness of those who practice it. It shouldn't need any other selling. People should focus on getting their own lives in order, not fixing others.

July 24, 2011 at 8:27 am |
    • Mike Manhattan KS

Lee, we agree. What I got from the article was people should quit labeling religion. Saying one point of view is better than another is part of the problem. I don't care what religion you are, but I just care that your a good person and give me the same respect that I am giving you.

July 24, 2011 at 9:09 am |
    • Miles

We are the home of the arm chair quarterback. We sit back and do nothing, then judge. If you don't do anything you will never make a mistake. It is our culture now. I've seen and lived it. The Christians who play, cheat, and judge together. If you are not like them you are a sinner.

July 24, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  20. FINALLY

I've been saying for years that the term evangelical is no different than extremist, except we're supposed to believe the evangelical christians are right and muslim extremists are not. Finally someone else who sees Christianity not as a game of who-can-convert-more but as simply trying to pass on the good messages that were taught. Thank you Carl. Keep down your path. The world needs more open minded people like you who can see past the cruicifix hanging around their neck.

July 24, 2011 at 8:26 am |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
About this blog