home
RSS
My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing
Carl Medearis with Sheikh Nabil Qawouk Hezbollah’s number two leader.
July 24th, 2011

My Take: Why evangelicals should stop evangelizing

Editor's Note: Carl Medearis is an international expert in Arab-American and Muslim-Christian relations and is author of the book Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism.

By Carl Medearis, Special to CNN

Let’s do an exercise. I want you to fill in the blank on what you think you know about me based on what I’m about to tell you.

Here goes: Twenty years ago, I became a missionary. My wife and I left our home in Colorado Springs, Colorado to move to Beirut, Lebanon. Our job description was to plant churches and evangelize to Muslims.

Based on what I just said, Carl Medearis is a ______________ .

Depending on your background, the blank may look something like this:

Carl Medearis is a... hero of the Christian faith, a saintly super-man willing to sacrifice the comforts of home in order to share the love of Jesus Christ with those who have never heard the gospel.

Or this:

Carl Medearis is a... right-wing extremist who destroys cultures, tears apart families and paves the way for neo-colonialist crusaders to invade, occupy and plunder the resources of local populations.

Quite a range, isn’t it?

For one group of people, the words “evangelist” and “missionary” bring to mind pious heroes performing good deeds that are unattainable for the average Christian. For another group, those same words represent just about everything that’s wrong with the world.

I understand the confusion.

Based on my experiences of living and traveling around the world, I know that religion is often an identity marker that determines people’s access to jobs, resources, civil liberties and political power.

When I lived in Lebanon I saw firsthand how destructive an obsession with religious identity could be. Because of the sectarian nature of Lebanese politics, modern Lebanese history is rife with coups, invasions, civil wars and government shutdowns.

When I tell my Christian friends in America that some of the fiercest militias were (and are) Christian, most are shocked. It doesn’t fit the us-versus-them mentality that evangelism fosters, in which we are always the innocent victims and they are always the aggressors.

This us-versus-them thinking is odd, given that Jesus was constantly breaking down walls between Jews and Gentiles, rich and poor, men and women, sinners and saints. That’s why we have the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Jews in Jesus’ day thought of the Samaritans as the violent heretics, much the same way that Christians think of Muslims today. The idea that a Samaritan could be good was scandalous to first century Jews.

Jesus was the master of challenging religious prejudice and breaking down sectarian walls. Why do so many Christians want to rebuild those walls?

Even the Apostle Paul insisted that it’s faith in Jesus that matters, not converting to a new religion or a new socio-religious identity.

What if evangelicals today, instead of focusing on “evangelizing” and “converting” people, were to begin to think of Jesus not as starting a new religion, but as the central figure of a movement that transcends religious distinctions and identities?

Jesus the uniter of humanity, not Jesus the divider. How might that change the way we look at others?

This is more than just a semantic difference.

When I used to think of myself as a missionary, I was obsessed with converting Muslims (or anybody for that matter) to what I thought of as “Christianity.” I had a set of doctrinal litmus tests that the potential convert had to pass before I would consider them “in” or one of “us.”

Funny thing is, Jesus never said, “Go into the world and convert people to Christianity.” What he said was, “Go and make disciples of all nations.”

Encouraging anyone and everyone to become an apprentice of Jesus, without manipulation, is a more open, dynamic and relational way of helping people who want to become more like Jesus — regardless of their religious identity.

Just because I believe that evangelicals should stop evangelizing doesn’t mean that they should to stop speaking of Jesus.

I speak of Jesus everywhere I go and with everyone I meet.

As founder and president of a company called International Initiatives, my work is aimed at building relationships among Christian leaders in the West and among Muslim leaders in the Middle East.

It may come as a surprise to many Christians that Muslims are generally open to studying the life of Jesus as a model for leadership because they revere him as a prophet.

I believe that doctrine is important, but it’s not more important than following Jesus.

Jesus met people where they were. Instead of trying to figure out who’s “in” and who’s “out,” why don’t we simply invite people to follow Jesus — and let Jesus run his kingdom?

Inviting people to love, trust, and follow Jesus is something the world can live with. And since evangelicals like to say that it’s not about religion, but rather a personal relationship with Jesus, perhaps we should practice what we preach.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Carl Medearis.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Interfaith issues • Opinion

soundoff (3,792 Responses)
  1. Tina

Of course if you don't believe the Bible is the Word of God you won't listen at all anyway, because it means nothing to you, but what you don't understand is that it's not just words on a page it's spiritually inspiried. I'm thankful for those brave men and women who are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ because they know it is the power of God to salvation to all who believe (my paraphrase); many are dying, because of their faith, your words are a slap in their faces. Many have to flee their country for their lives, or go into hiding from their families because of their faith in Christ.

October 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  2. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Based on what I just said, Carl Medearis is a ______________ Tool?

October 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  3. Jim

I find your writing to be laughable. Jesus met people where they were at? While true for each of us today, that wasn't true in a complete sense of the word during Jesus' earthly ministry. Jesus sought out the lost. He used the lowly to glorify his name. Those that had much were challenged with their earthly possessions to give up everything and follow him (Nicodemus to be born again, the rich young ruler to give up his possessions, Paul to give up everything he knew about spiritual things and take the gospel to the gentiles, AKA evangelize them). The Pharisees he condemned. But your comment about Paul saying it wasn't about converting to a new religion boggles my mind. Paul experienced one the most amazing conversion accounts we read in scripture. It was completely about leaving old religious beliefs and embracing new ones. Paul later commented that he becomes all things to all people that he might win some.

October 6, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  4. Greg

Jesus said go into all the world and preach the Gospel. It's a COMMAND (not optional) for Christians to evangelize

October 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Aminathius

Dude. Read what he said. Jesus said to make disciples of all nations. The Bible does NOT say to evangelize. It says to spread the word of Jesus. To many people it means to shove it down people's throats. You have to love them to Christ, not choke them with the Gospel.

October 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  5. GatorDude

Sooooo "...man about to be beheaded on the internet" isn't what most people answered?

October 3, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  6. Peachy.Mom

I seldom post a comment on articles like these, but one sentence in your diatribe totally through me for a loop: something about Christ coming to unite and not divide. If you are speaking of the fact that Christ came to unite us with God our Father, then, yes, you are correct. If you are surmising that Christ came to unite all mankind with one another, then I think you should go back and review the NT. The very nature of the gospel itself and the Christian life brings division and persecution.

September 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  7. Salty Bob

In the beginning man created the gods
    The truth about organized religion. I hope you glean a small bit of useful information as I have. What games religion is playing in America and the world today? We live in a country where we can choose for ourselves how much or little Religion we want in our lives, but the followers of most religions just don’t understand the word no. Not in my life not in my schools not in my government, NO, is the choice I have made for me and my family, the following reasons are part of the problem as I see it.
    First: religion is in no way real. The word religion or god is nothing more than an expression or product of human fear and weaknesses or imagination. The Bible/Koran, a collection of ancient myths and stories borrowed from many different cultures over thousands of centuries. Followers of Christianity, Islam, and others want to make decisions for us based on their interpretation of myths and stories from ages past that have change from teller to teller until were left with what we see today.
    These groups' are working hard and spending millions trying to influence our politician to pass laws based on their interpretation of these myths. Trying to convert the USA into a religious state. The only way this will end if things continue as they are is one group will out spend another and gain control in instant we could be living in the United Sates of Islam, sounds kinda funny but there are at the moment 2 sects with the money it will take to make the leap and crush the Wall of Separation. The Wall of Separation is supposed to protect us from all religions infringement upon our schools teachings of science to find real truth and knowledge. Not try and recruit our kids with fairytales or with some aged dogma from an era long dead, our children deserve better.
    Second: Organized Religions have overstepped their boundaries on many occasions. It divides us as a people to choose ignorance over logic, to forsake the future for a ruthless past. Religion started with early mans rites and ceremonies to honor nature, it grew into Charlemagne outright murder of the innocent in the name of Christianity, to jets crashing into towers killing thousands in the name of Islam. The time of burning witches, belief in a flat earth, the murdering of doctors, and crimes against women and children or the followers of gods many other immoral and vile acts against humanity as a whole can no longer and should no longer be tolerated, no matter what religious book or god they believe demands it, religious leaders must be held to account for the acts of its followers.
    Third: Coerced observance is the main method these groups use. Worship me or you will be tortured in a pit of fire for all eternity or, murdered outright. Fear mongering, tyranny, Remember the Dark Ages religions rule in that dark, distant past did not serve our ancestors well. Many of these groups place supernatural abilities on some of their members, kinda like the early versions of super heroes, born of a virgin nice trick or walk on water, hmm or cure the blind and sick shamans come to mind, super strength Hercules so many more. Throughout history you will find many who have claimed special abilities or feats. From every religious group again more fairytales entertainment for people who had very little else to do and lots of free time for the mind to wonder. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change the fact that their holy books are nothing more than a collection stories meant to entertain or teach something to the children or control people of that era nothing more.
    Fourth: We put our trust in our elected officials to maintain the wall of separation, to prevent religions ever-reaching grasp from tainting the consideration of new laws! This country was not founded on the rule of anyone's religion, but more the lack of religious influence in the governing of this country. But time and again you hear religious overtones spouting out of our leaders, and wannabe leaders, the wall is crumbling.
    If anyone of good conscience should agree with what I have said band together, so we can bring this country the very world we live on into the 21st century free of these groups and revel in all the promise this century has to offer so our children's children's children can look back in pride and say they did this for us and our posterity. This is after all a very small world and a great leaping point into the vast unknown. I so hope more minds are opened and see beyond the centuries of engrained dogma. I just hope we have not destroyed it all by that time.
    R.E.W.

September 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • thisguyis2nd

Ok Salty you have everything backwards. To start I will point out one major flaw in your first paragraph, where you stated "Not try and recruit our kids with fairytales or with some aged dogma from an era long dead, our children deserve better." Without religion what do your children have to hope in? "Son go do your homework," "Why dad?" "Because you need to do well in school to get a good job and live a successful life." "But dad there is no point, I am doing this for nobody but myself and I can be lazy if I want because I am just going to die anyways. It is a waste of my valuable time." A Christian would know that we have something to hope for after death, new life in Jesus. We know that we have to live out our lives to the fullest to try and repay Jesus for what he has done.
      Secondly explain the b eginning of the earth and universe without religion for me.

September 27, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • AGuest9

Wow, thisguy. So, you are basically saying that there is no competi.tive spirit without a god? Do you think the Red Sox and the Giants and Maple Leafs are out there, doing this for a god? They're doing it to get paid and hopefully, to win their sport's championship game. You get into a good school with good grades to get a good job to get well paid and attract a good mate and have a nice place to live and to raise a happy family.

Christians continue to delude themselves by thinking that there is something after death. We are no better than any other animal. As far as this claim that only churchy people can "live out our lives to the fullest", that is not just limited to the churchy people. Feeling the need to inject a god into everything you do, your hopes, dreams and aspirations is denying yourself the bulk of the credit for hard work and a job well done. I don't need something imaginary to give credit for getting to where I am in life.

"explain the b eginning of the earth and universe without religion for me"
      The beginning of the earth is pretty simple, as we are watching many proto-star systems in various phases of their evolution now. Their stars have formed from the collapse of hot gases in space, creating high gravity environments which heat the gases and attract more. These stars during the process of ignition through fusion (which requires high pressure and temperature), attract and collect clouds of dust, rock and gases that surround them, which, through increased gravitational attraction, are collapsing into bodies that will make up planets, asteroids and comets. In planets sufficiently massive to have substantial (>.7g) gravitational fields, gases will be attracted and retained, forming atmospheres on those bodies, if they are sufficiently warm enough.

The formation of the universe took place less than 13 billion years before the formation of the earth, in a very compact, hot environment. The most prevalent school of thought regards a singularity, the "Big Bang", that has been advanced with the aid of the exploration of the cosmic background radiation by Bell Labs and the COBE probe. A recent theory which addresses some of the questions that remained from theories put forth by Hawking and Guth in the past three decades – and is actually analogous to the cyclic nature of biology – is a "rebirth point" of a cyclical cosmoslogy, put forth by Penrose. Just as no god was necessary to form the earth, as we were told as children, no god is necessary for the formation of the universe (or multiverse).

September 27, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  8. John Bedell

An interesting read. As a main-line Christian church we at lundy's Lane United church in Niagara Falls http://www.lundyslanechurch.ca can't agree with everything he says, but it is certainly thought-provoking. And provoking thinking and discussing faith issues (rationally) is always a good thing. The world could use more people trying to understand each other and less leople defending their own narrow interpretations. Because let's face it, none of us except God have the whole picture....we're all just trying to understand. Thanks again for an interesting article.

September 24, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  9. BoldGeorge

This article by far has to be one of the most anti-biblical rhetoric of our times (and is very common these days). It implies laziness and/or fearing persecution, as opposed to fearing God. PLEASE READ MY COMMENTS BELOW TO KEY POINTS FROM THE ARTICLE (and please bear with me here).

"It may come as a surprise to many Christians that Muslims are generally open to studying the life of Jesus as a model for leadership because they revere him as a prophet."

Thhis in fact may be true, but if Carl Medearis would study the bible and meditate on its contexts and not deviate or misinterpret its intended meaning, he would have noticed where Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. NO ONE COMES to the FATHER except through Me."...John 14:6. There is no way anyone can misinterpret Jesus' saying here, as He is the ONLY WAY to everlasting life, He is not just a mere prophet or spiritual leader to be plainly admired. This is the very reason why evangelizing of the nations is of utmost importance, because there is NO OTHER WAY. Any other way is just futile.

Also,
    "But now that I’m no longer obsessed with converting people to Christianity, I’ve found that talking about Jesus is much easier and far more compelling."

Firstly, being a 'christian' is being a Christ follower, thus Christianity (not in its loose form) is the following of Jesus Christ's ways and lifestyle, plain and simple. I can understand why Carl is now more lax about his 'obsession' (or lack thereof) to bringing people to Christ and His salvation. I can understand that very much, because if one is not being persecuted, or mocked, insulted or harmed in anyway, then everyone's happy. But that's not what Jesus taught. He distinctly tells us in John 15:20, "Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you..." Also in Luke 21:12, "...they will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons. You will be brought before kings and rulers for My name’s sake." Heck, who wants to be persecuted or banished in some way?

NEED I SAY MORE?

September 20, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • jsfraptor26

You dont. Excellent post.

September 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • brittneykp

I just finished reading Medearis's book, Speaking of Jesus, and he himself cites John 14:6 to SUPPORT his claim that as Christians we should always be focused on pointing people to Jesus and his examples. Medearis states clearly that he does believe that Jesus is the only way, he just thinks that we often throw the trappings of a man-made religious interpretation of Jesus's message in people's faces instead of clearly pointing to Jesus. Wouldn't you rather get truth directly from Jesus than from someone's understanding of someone's understanding of him? I think that is EVERY Christian's obligation!

September 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • garc

Yeah. You do. Like all other evangelicals trying to persuade everyone to "come to Jesus," you are saying that we should be Christians "because it's in the Bible." Totally circular logic, per usual. Every reason we should agree with you is because "it's in the Bible"?

September 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • doug

I am with you George.... doug

September 30, 2011 at 3:59 am |
  10. dugee

I If Jesus is so great why does he have these evangelical types going about doing his work.Their backward views are dragging us all back to a primitive, simplistic world view. I am OK with whatever spiritual placebo it takes for certain individuals to get by, but keep it out of my face please.

September 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Barney

Don't put your faith man, brother. Man is flawed and will always disappoint. That's the classic mistake that the devil loves to exploit in order to keep you as far away from a relationship with God. It's interesting you say "...why does he have these evangelical types going about doing his work". Remember this saying: Even the devil knows the Bible front and back. Anyone can "evangelize". Some have a great understanding of Christ and God. Some do not. But do not judge Christianity by anyone's actions but Jesus Christ because you will be disappointed. Put your faith in Christ alone. Read his ministry in the first 4 books of the New Testament as a start. It will take you somewhere you have never been, and will give your mind, heart, soul, and spirit a serious workout. You will never be the same, and your inner light will shine. God Bless.

September 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • jerry

Amen, Dugee!! The South is especially "Bad" at "Twisting the scriptures into what they want??? Hatred does not belong in "Christianity". They would Throw rocks at Black Americans children going to school,and Sunday morning,dress up for church?????? If their is a heaven, "They are Poor candidates for ST.Peters gates??? There is a hot place for them????

September 28, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  11. Jsfraptor26

Politcally Correct Christianity at its worst. Caving in and surrendering the doctrine of Christ to the world religion of political correctness will incure wrath.

PCC is of pure evil. How else could someone twist the clear words of the Lord Jesus Christ – "Go out and make disciples of the nations and baptize them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit" as meaning NOT to go out and evangalize.

September 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Chloe

Well Carl has actually been out to the nations to evangelize. Have you?

September 22, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  12. garc

Very interesting article–thank you. I know one thing I've noticed that many evangelicals simply cannot seem to grasp is this: If you are wanting to "convert" very well-educated people with a lot of questions, you will not do it by simply quoting the Bible at us. It seems like circular thinking. If we're not sure about the Bible and you say something should be a certain way "because it's in the Bible..." well, duh. Every time there is a discussion re religion on these boards, at least one evangelical will type in literally half a page straight from the Bible–usually threatening eternal damnation to those who are not saved–thinking that that alone will work on those of us who have studied more than one religion (and like science a lot, too). Hint: Tailor your message to your audience. Or better yet–realize that it's a personal thing which–if any–religion moves you, and which–if any–you choose.

September 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  13. Nadine Harris

Well, I'll go farther. Maybe it will be clearer for those who don't seem to get it. Go back to the man Jesus. Try to figure out what he said (bearing in mind that the Gospels are very garbled) and if you like, try to live you life on his principles. All the other detritus that we fight wars over is just a lot of stuff thought out long after the man died. Jesus being G-d, the Trinity, sacraments, confessionals, and political advocacy have nothing to do with the first-century preacher himself. That is not the writer's message, but not until the world can unite on something like his principles - quite simple, really: love thy neighbor, compassion, G-d is love - will all these false, divisive murderous doctrinal walls fall down.

September 16, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  14. naturechaplain

As a former Evangelical this disturbs me, primarily since it seems to wish Jesus was non-sectarian ("salvation is from the Jews") and to wish for Evangelicals to not be evangelistic. As with most all articles by Evangelicals who are trying hard to re-define themselves for popular audience, the truth appears in the last paragraph (the classic punch line of the sermon). "Inviting people to love, trust, and follow Jesus is something the world can live with." The obvious point is that, No, we don't, and shouldn't in an ever-smaller, pluralistic, secular world where hard thinking and collaborative action must ultimately leave faith behind.

September 11, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Nadine Harris

That's true. He MUST be seen as non-sectarian. The disturbance you're feeling is your tribal reaction. Without that proviso, the world will always be divided into tribes murdering each other over silly trivial doctrinal issues. I don't entirely agree with everything the writer says, but I absolutely agree that Jesus did not try to start a religion called Christianity. We silly fools did that.

September 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  15. Lisa

I tell my kids that I am Pro-God but Anti-Religion. If there were not so many different interpretations of the various religious books and texts, maybe I would agree with religion but to me it is just a form of control. You can respect what Jesus was about and try to live your life in a Good Orderly Direction (GOD) or you can become a pox on the face of humanity. Free will Baby, isn't that what life is all about?

September 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  16. Faramir

How can one have a "relationship" with the prophet of a religion sans the religion aspect? If anything, this just reeks of an excuse to make more sheeple out of poor, hungry natives in foreign countries.

September 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  17. Ed R

Something happened to this guy's brain in Beirut. Now, I agree that Christians need to be respectful (not just tolerant) of other people's right to believe and practice in whatever way they want. So should Muslims, although there is not a Muslim-dominant country on the planet that allows that. However, to twist and misrepresent the fundamental theses of Christianity to eliminate evangelism is not only wrong, but disrespectful of the core of Christianity.

Jesus did say and more than once, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6). Also, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 18:3). He also said before his ascent to His Father, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you” (Matt 28:19-20).

How was it possible to have logical thought processes that deny such scripture? To do so invents a new religion akin to Universalism-Unitarianism – but it is not Christianity. To sum up, the writer is kowtowing to Islam. He is reducing Christianity to some form of benign sociology to avoid offending the tyrannical imams who persecute all non-believers in Allah and threaten to kill any who abandon that faith.

September 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • BMW57

You have managed to put the issue into a single sentence. The entire concept of exclusive superriority of" my rieligion is bigger than yours". There is nothing superior about your set of faith based fantasy. I expect you still fell an obligation to force your ideas on the world. Some of us have actually grown up with age and realize that while an effective tool to teach children that certain behavior is acceptable, the threat that an all powerful being will "get you" if you do not behave is not needed by adults. Grown up, act well toward all and stop trying to bully people.

September 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Rick

BMW: I agree. One cannot fear retaliaiton (or "judgement" to those pious out there) from a being in which they do not believe.

September 16, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  18. MCFx

I not following. First, Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6). Also, “Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt 18:3). Then finally, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you” (Matt 28:19-20)
    The first definition of “evangelize” (and most common) is “To preach the Gospel” which is exactly what you’re asking evangelists to do. The second (and as important) is “To convert to Christianity” which is what the above scriptures ask the Christian to do.
    So, I’m not following here. You say “some of the fiercest militias were (and are) Christian”. This is the exception NOT the rule…which is more than I can say for Islamic extremists.

September 7, 2011 at 2:48 am |
  19. Mathews

I like your concept,follow Christ ,his teachings.Religion one follow is the part of culture and they vary in all 360 degrees. Any one who follow any religion is not an excuse.

September 6, 2011 at 4:29 am |
    • USmellLikePee

Wha???

September 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Rick

How is folllowing Christ NOT a religion?

September 6, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  20. Da King

The Good News of Jesus Christ will be taught until the very end.

September 5, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
About this blog