home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) – If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. backlink tools

Hello, you used to write fantastic, but the last several posts have been kinda boring I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little out of track! come on! backlink tools http://seotools.overblog.com/

March 2, 2013 at 4:49 am |
  2. Shannon

My Fellow Believers, why are we even discussing Our Fabulous God, with these God haters?? we have better things to do with our time, then to talk with these athiests... I feel sorry for them really they are carrying a heavy burden, with all the guilt and shame and unconfessed sins now and in the past, they are more to be felt sorry for then anything, they are smart... but if you really look at thier lives , they have short lived happiness and short lived joy, we will have a Eternity to be happy and joy unspeakable!, they will have arguments on this be certian they may or may not voice it on here. if they were really smart an they are, they would Know That God Does Exist!, but see satan has blinded their eyes to who God is, but soon they will find out when they stand before God on that day,

June 17, 2012 at 2:27 am |
    • Nadine

Shannon, my dear, you are projecting.

October 10, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
  3. jediSwift

whats up could someone please get across to me why they deserve all that moola?

I wrote a commotion down this called #OccupyWallStreet

Leak me whatcha notion of :D

October 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  4. Alex Gessong

Silly poll. It's not possible to judge something that you cannot prove exists. May just as well ask if you approve of the jobs that fairies or unicorns are doing. Those of us who believe that God is real can also acknowledge the fact that we have absolutely zero proof of it. We believe in God because we "feel" God's existence, or because we're afraid not to believe, or because we just accept without question the stories that we were told as children (in which case we really ought to believe in fairies and unicorns). The very concept of God is that God is all-knowing and perfect, in which case it makes no sense for any (inherently imperfect) human being to judge God's "job performance." Besides, any Christian who responded to the poll ignored the words of Jesus: "Judge not, lest you be judged." For those believers who feel compelled to reply angrily to this post, go ahead, have at it if it makes you feel better. I forgive you. Because Jesus said "Do good to those who persecute you" and "turn the other cheek." Following Jesus' preachings isn't always easy, but that's what Christianity is all about.

August 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  5. JW

THIS IS A DUMB ARTICLE. DANGEROUS AT THAT. GOD CAN'T BE JUDGED BY US MERE MORTALS. THE GALL OF US MERE MORTALS, TO THINK THAT WE CAN MINIMIZE THE GOD OF ALL CREATION. LET ME TELL YOU HOW GOOD GOD'S JOB PERFORMANCE IS. IT'S SUMMED UP IN ONE WORD. OXYGEN. AND I'LL LEAVE IT AT THAT.

August 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • Ricka Wash

Amen. Enough Said! : )

August 17, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Eugene

You evidently did not read your Bible in a long time. It has a book of Job. The guy judged God for His performance as you will never dare and still got His approval at the end, while his "holier-than-thou" friends did not. God does not need sheepish cultists, that is for sure.

August 23, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  6. chief

catholics wont even judge their priests or the pope, what right do they have to participate in judging God.... oh yeah, my bad, they arent Christian....

August 15, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  7. Ron Parson

This is silly, Americans have nothing better to do than Judge God

August 15, 2011 at 12:20 am |
  8. Silence dogood

So if 10% of Americans are atheists, there must be a large percentage of believers who are not satisfied with their god. Come on over to reason and logic. God already meets our expectations.

August 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • joshua

Just because you know who God is doesn't make you "saved" or a "christian"
      the Devil in hell know's there is a God. The true Christian accepts Christ and what he did on the cross, his blood forgives me of my sins, God raised him from the dead on the third day. The truth and logic is being a God fearing person, that means respect for him, athiest believe in big bang which has no proof but what man thinks.

August 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  9. Mera

These bad things are not wrought by the hand of God, but by Satan, who masters this world. Jesus said this world was not his. But, he will be back, and he will see justice is done.

Please don't blame God for what Satan does. Or . has Satan already blinded to you to the lie that Jesus never existed? Jesus will be back, you can count on it.

August 14, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • joshua

Excellent response Mera I couldn't of said it better.

August 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Nitkoffsky

You "Christians" are so blind and illogical. Everything in this world was created by God. This you must believe this according to your "Holy" Bible. God is therefore, responsible for ALL the Good and ALL the Bad in this world. Mera says "Please don't blame God for what Satan does" Sorry, Mera, God created Satan and God could have eliminated Satan long ago but chose instead to let him rule over the very planet that God created for all his creations. How stupid was that? Now, thanks to your God, we all have to suffer, have pain, get old and die. How stupid is that? God with all his Power, Greatness, "Mercy", and Knowledge should have set up a better plan than this violent, war torn, evil ridden and perverse world. Your Bible blames Adam & Eve and because they made one mistake every person to ever live on the earth is punished in some unjust way for what they did thousands of years ago. How stupid is that? Punish the whole human race because 2 people made 1 forgivable mistake. Oh, and who tempted them? Oh, yeah it was that Satan character that God himself created. Hummm, sounds like God is the real ring master behind the whole fall of mankind. So blame God? Yes I Will! Oh and one last thought. If your religion doesn't save me and I already know your God won't save me then I and many like me will go to HELL forever and ever (eternal punishment according to what Jesus said in Matthew 25:46). Strange that this life is soooooo short and that eternity is forever...and that a lot of people like myself will never find Jesus or be saved and because your wonderful God couldn't figure out a better system He willingly allows millions upon millions of his own creation to end up in HELL tormented and punished forever and ever with no way out. The eternal punishment doesn't fit the temporal "crime". So, if I had to join a religion I think I would join the Catholics (who you call a cult) because at least their God has purgatory and I could eventually escape HELL.

January 30, 2012 at 8:32 am |
    • Shannon

You Tell Them Mera!, sheesh! reallly this has been going since Noah.. they ridiculed noah because The Lord told him to build a ark, but they were in for a big surprise, when God flooded the earth, this time The Lord won't flood the Earth He is going to destroy it by fire this time!.. watch out People... God is merciful and compasionate. loving as well, but you can push The Father so much, when He starts pushing back I would sincerely get on His Side, cause if your not for Him You are aginst Him!, If Your against Him I feel sorry for you....

June 17, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  10. RAMALDI

I am sure God is pleased with the52% job rating, he is probably given us 0 on ours!!!

August 14, 2011 at 6:12 am |
  11. Sean

Guess what folks, God doesn't care what you think of his "job performance." There is no comments section when it comes to questioning his will.

August 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  12. heartrevealed

Ok evolvedDNA,

He also wanted to know if you have ever seen your DNA.

If so, did it existed before you saw it or not until afterwards. And how do you know you really have DNA anyways? I suppose a bunch of people told you they saw something funny under a microscope and so you believe them.

God also wanted to know if you think *spiritual phenominum* and a spiritual does not or cannot exist, or that such can all be explained by science to be in fact not spiritual? That is a leap of faith - making conclusions about what you have never seen and a discounting, as essentially a lie (I do realize a lot is, but NOT all), what you cannot see or have not witnessed.

It is also a big leap of faith in concluding that another realm may not exists, which seems counter-intuative to the study of quantum physics. You simply do not know that individuals have not encountered true spiritual phenominum and so cannot with integrety call them a liar or reason it away by your limited knowledge base.

And if they have in fact encountered it, then the question would probably not be so much as to whether God might exists but rather who he might be and what are his qualities.

August 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

heartrevealed wrote, "Ok evolvedDNA, I called God like you suggested and he (masculine pronoun does not imply he actually has a gender, but that's another coversation) and he asked me to ask you *where* your "evolved DNA" came from and *why* it exists. He also wanted to know if you have ever seen your DNA."

I have "never" seen my DNA but I know it is made up of Atom-sized sub-stellar nebulas and I can guide you heartrevealed to someone and His website that has verifiable proof via Photographs taken of many varied Atom sized Nebulas and celletsial nebuals that are way too similar in shapes to be but a mere coincidence. If you already knew this then you would have contemplated with much civility that Inner Space pariculates are what outer space pariculates are trying/attempting to mimic.

August 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

I forgot to give you heartrevealed Mr Robert Oldershaw's web site. It's http://www3.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw/stars2/

Feel free to gander a spell there! :-)

August 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

I do so like your style of thought writing heartreveald! :-) GOD and God and god are 3 rather distinctive "Phenomenons" and each are separate and can only be as a comparision of which is which. GOD is the of ALL Creation and this GOD is a Universalism of multi-Universes that amy well reach out to infinity wherewith the outermost dimensions of outer space can only be quantumly considered by us mere mortals who do utilize but a small proportion of our brainyards. God or better still the Gods and Goddesses of GOD are so very very minute in size. They live upon this matter of atom sized substellar nebulas and it is our Celestialized' Terrestrially maintained Bodies where their mostly gathered due to all the subversiveness going on outside any life form. Enough jibber jabber for now heartfelt! May these words of my truthfelt understandings in principalities of construed scinces be of help! :-)

August 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

I talked about GOD, Gods and Goddesses but I forgot about gods and goddesses heartrevealed. We are "as" gods and goddesses and will become "adopted" into the realms of HEAVEN"s Heavens and yes heavens based upon one's Trials and Tribulations living "as" godly men and women and even children "heartrevealed". Christ Jesus, the very dirst born God of GOD's lamentation, is truly the King of all the Gods and Goddesses living with all Celestially manifested and Terrestrially created> Christ Jesus is also the LORD of all Lords and also all lords for was so created by GOD for these very purposes.

August 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  13. Toby

The "smart" folks know that if you want your bigotry and hated protected by law you must cloak them in a religious belief and sectarian doctrine-then you have the full protection of the law to effect your bigoted ideas. Peace.

August 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  14. Fin

The planet can speak?

August 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  15. FreeThinker

Wouldn't an omniscient, omnipotent, omniphilic deity be more concerned with how I comported myself in this world, rather than obsessing over whether I believe in him and/or his son in hopes of getting to the right place in the other world? I would think so. Behavioral comportment dines at the high table of morality and ethics; jealous feasts on the empty calories of baser human emotions. God isn't real.

August 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • heartrevealed

Free Thinker?

You don't even know how your own brain works and you pride yourself a free thinker. Oh my brain is a big blob of grey with umm, umm lobes and and uhhh these nuerotransmitter tiingys. Oh wow you know alot. That's amazing.

Science can't even really define conciousness, but you happen to know your a "free thinker" as opposed to those dumb religious folks.

If I was a betting gal, I'd bet your not *really* such a free thinker after all. In fact I'd bet that you're thinking is mainly controlled by biological boundries and unconcious events that you are over 99% unaware of.

I'd also bet that you are driven primarily beyond your control to copy and mimick the human race, and are unconciously controlled by the media.

That's what I love about unbelievers, they are so smart! Maybe I can be just like them someday.... Nahhh, I'd rather not.

August 5, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • frank

Lol u sound dumb lol.

August 5, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
  16. Kristal

God lol what god lol fools prove god ever exsisted or will ever exist get a life jesus was real not something that was made up from some1 with imagination complete morons
    get a life better still help with life

August 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • J.W

I bet that those "fools" and "morons" can at least form a coherent sentence.

August 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  17. Kebos

God receives a failing grade from me. He, She or It gets an F. I mean, come on. He creates the universe in 6 days and then buggers off! What's up with that? There was so much potential but he blew it, big time. And his 'only begotten son' gets the same mark. Some leader! He comes down to our planet, makes a big splash, and then he says I'm heading out but I'll be back soon to take up where I left off. What's he waiting for? Has he found something better to occupy his celestial attention? Maybe life in Heaven is just so darn fun and satisying that even the thought of returning to heaven to judge the living and the dead (that's a lot of people, that's a lot of work!) gives Jesus ulcers. But a promise is a promise. Show some backbone and act! 2,000 years is a long time.

No, God and his family are a complacent lot. If they were my neighbors I am sure their hedges would be untrimmed, their grass would 3 feet high, the newspapers would be piled high by the front door.......despite their continued promises that they would be cleaning things up and getting their house in order.

A useless bunch of underachievers always on the lookout for our unwarranted praise and adulation.

August 1, 2011 at 9:04 am |
    • sarahsblessed

if you could do a better job....what would you do? I didn't see you create the world in 6 days and rest on the 7th. Besides, you REALLY believe you are that smart to even comment? Really?!

August 3, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  18. Reality

origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482 (NY Times)

New Torah For Modern Minds

"Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years - have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine doc-ument.

The notion that the Bible is not literally true "is more or less settled and understood among most Conservative rabbis," observed David Wolpe, a rabbi at Sinai Temple in Los Angeles and a contributor to "Etz Hayim." But some congregants, he said, "may not like the stark airing of it." Last Passover, in a sermon to 2,200 congregants at his synagogue, Rabbi Wolpe frankly said that "virtually every modern archaeologist" agrees "that the way the Bible describes the Exodus is not the way that it happened, if it happened at all." The rabbi offered what he called a "LITANY OF DISILLUSION”' about the narrative, including contradictions, improbabilities, chronological lapses and the absence of corroborating evidence. In fact, he said, archaeologists digging in the Sinai have "found no trace of the tribes of Israel - not one shard of pottery."

August 1, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  19. heartrevealed

Hmm... I wonder if we polled God what he would think of our performance.

August 1, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • Bonita

We already failed in the Garden of Eden completely. Eden was lost. The Earth's protective layers of water was lost at Noah's time. The world was bombed and polluted heavily since the last century. Now the planet is asking God for the removal of present mankind again.

August 1, 2011 at 7:21 am |
    • evolvedDNA

Heartrevealed...go ahead ..give him/her /it a call.. and which god in particular will you hope to speak to?

August 5, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • Mera

God is perfect and has my 100 percent vote.

Mera

August 14, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  20. Fact-telling

A stupid survey to start with.

August 1, 2011 at 12:21 am |