home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. FSM

Is this the Onion or CNN? What's next, a report on Santa Claus' approval ratings?

July 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • helloeyes

This is totally ridiculous. What a waste of time.

July 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • Jim

Santa – 64%

Obviously he is more popular in the younger age groups.

July 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • oneSTARman

..I'm guessing HIGHER in most households that Boehner

July 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  2. SaintM

Well, I question the exisence of God because most people suck and he created people.

I do, however really like dogs and cats and other animals and I like nature: mountains, oceans, trees and forests, flowers and things like that. So if it's people that I don't like but I like everything else I might have to say that he probably exists. He really needs to re-engineer people though. Maybe he'll get his chance in 2012 to start over with something new....

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • oneSTARman

You have to question the Engineering Expertise of a Designer that puts a Recreation Area right next to a waste Disposal site.

July 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
  3. MIke Prede

...only a szhizoaffective and delusional person would be so bothered by something, or someone that "doesnt exist" LOL
    ...atheists, atheists......ohoh
    may your cult continue to bother your conscious throug out your life; your comments, your mockery, your irrationality are just some of the clear evidence of your tortured psyche.....ohoh...you deserve it

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Spiffy

Why do you chose to write about a group that you think is crazy? Using your same logic I can arrive at the conclusion that you are also crazy.

July 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  4. HenkV

That's a quick change. Just last week in the news it said that it was at 43%.

July 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • God

My plan to raise the debt ceiling was better than the others offered. It explains the increase.

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • doooshchills

I had heard that Obama's approval rating was 47% Now I'm confused.....Oh wait Obama isn't God? Never mind......

July 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  5. bb

Wow! How low can we go...... Anybody rating God might get some generous real estate downstairs....

July 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • ckelley

That's only if a god or gods exist. I wouldn't worry.

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Spiffy

Why do Christians always result to threats of eternal pain to get their point across? How many believers are you going to get if you say the same God who loves you so much is willing to let you burn for all eternity?

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • God

Actually that whole lake of fire thing... thats just a green screen and some sound effects. The devil lives in a trailer park in detriot.

July 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Justin

Spiffy...its not a threat it is truth...read the Bible and it is plain that those who do not live a life pleasing to God will not inherit Heaven but hell

July 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • ckelley

Oh, ok, the BIBLE says it! Well then it must be true!

July 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • John

@Justin
      Pleasing god? Since god is neither man or woman does that make you bi?

July 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  6. bug

why does cnn take religion seriously? no one else who is legitimately considered a thinking man takes religion seriously.
    there is no god, that's why he is awful at his job.

July 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • princemwh

So I guess since I'm religious I'm not a thinking man? Spoken like a real "thinker" lol

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  7. Stef

This is unbelievable! I am disgusted and disheartened as I read the majority of these comments. No wonder our nation, and world, for that matter, are in the shape we are in. Wow.

July 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Spiffy

Because less and less people are willing to believe in your imaginary friend?

July 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • God

Because religion is destroying everything my darling. You take me to seriously, I walk on water like that one lizard, im a funny guy!

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • treetop45

Well said! To me, all of this dis-harmony just verifies how angry people are. Such a shame. In my 66 years, I have never seen such a group of Non-Believers. Hard for me to understand. I guess their anger, begins with the dislike of their own souls.

July 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  8. God

Earthlings, quit mocking me by using the acronym OMG. It's distracting.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Keane vicaire

That's so funny I love it!

July 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  9. William Demuth

I wonder how well people think Barney the Purple Dinosaur, or The Incredible Hulk are doing their jobs?

We are a nation of fools who still fear the dark.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • baj4q

Ok, so you don't believe in God, that's fine. But do you believe in the big bang theory? I do, but when you examine the fact that it states that all matter was once condensed into a singularity, and after exploding, expands continuously into something outside of everything (the universe), you will see that a lot of what we believe is actually a little ridiculous. One man's ridiculous theory is all but fact to another, and we should simply accept that some people believe things that others don't without being judgemental.

July 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  10. sonofgadfly

In a related story, God's whereabouts are still unknown, though sitings of the elusive deity has been reported recently on pieces of toast, in T-shirt sweat stains, and in advanced-stage skin malignancies.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  11. oneSTARman

YOU should see OUR approval rating from GOD. IAM works for 15 Billion years – exploding Supernovas to make Earth then spends the last Billion years evolving LIFE on this rock until it could make decisions – and the MOST COMPLEX form so far – Instead of Colonizing the Stars like it was SUPPOSED to do – has DECIDED that CARS and COAL are more important than SURVIVAL.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  12. im4humanity

In God We Trust. Interesting how we trust. So with religion, it is not about proof, but based on faith resulting from of a few ancient books and alot of preaching. Yet we demand proof in science, then some still won't trust that science and believe that God and miracles can overrun that science. We need to shift to trusting the science, for it's all the proof we need right now to sustain humanity. Faith will not feed the famined, will not help cure diseases, or help us in a poisoned environment if the Rapture doesn't happen. God is good to have for the soul, but science is what we should trust for the practical matters of living.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • aaaaa

amen brother. preach!

July 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  13. baj4q

Who cares? He's going to do what he wants anyway. And what do you think His approval rating of humanity would be? I couldn't imagine it being very high.

July 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • aaaaa

If God's a public service member, then the customer is always right.

July 27, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
  14. Lucy

Last word because I will not continue to throw pearls to the swine. "FOR THE MESSAGE OF THE CROSS IS FOOLISHNESS TO THOSE WHO ARE PERISHING, BUT TO US WHO ARE BEING SAVED, IT IS THE POWER OF GOD." (1 Corinthians 1:18).

Peace out.

July 27, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • Tom M

Is it in all caps in the Bible?

July 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • sonofgadfly

Tom: Now that you mention it, I don't think lower case letters had been invented yet.

July 27, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Rick

Really, Lucy? The last word? Promise? Now take your cruicifix and a vat of KY jelly and make it a weekend

July 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  15. Chuck Anziulewicz

I just wish that GOD, in His wisdom and omnipotence, would be just a bit more media-savvy in this day and age. I mean, we’re talking about the same God that allegedly created the Universe (just 6,000 years ago, according to some people), flooded the entire Earth, parted the Red Sea, and whose Earthbound avatar came back to life after having assumed room temperature for three days. Why does He insist on taking such a hands-off approach? We have one Book which has been translated and re-translated, interpreted and re-interpreted, until hardly anyone can agree on what it means. We have dozens of Christian denominations, each with its own unique take on what God expects of us. Wouldn’t God be a little more effective in getting us to behave decently toward one another if He would just put together a website or a television channel or at the very least a 1-800 number? There is a wide variety of contemporary social and economic issues I sure would like to get His opinion on.

July 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Colin

Chuck, good post.

July 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Stevie7

"Earthbound avatar"

Ha! That's great.

July 27, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • News Flash

or iPods for the disciples ? or TV cameras at Bethlehem ? oh wait .....

July 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • kevin

Luke 21:33: “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away." True to His promise, Jesus' words are with us today.

According to the Bible, the defect is ours, not His. God speaks plainly through Scripture, but few want to hear what He has to say, because what He says is convicting and damning to us sinners. For us to stand before an infinitely holy God without a mediator would result in our incineration; thank God for this period of gracious amnesty, and for Jesus, by whom those who believe are saved from His coming wrath.

July 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Peggy

Chuck…sorry, just couldn’t resist replying to your post. First of all, no one actually says television these days…where have you been…the word is tv and yet the interpretation is still the same. Also, when is the last time you really took time to read or study the bible without skepticism? God has given us the answers to all of the social and economic issues you seek. I have yet to find the bible contradictive…because it has been retranslated doesn’t mean it’s been reinterpreted. Those that study and know the Word of God could debate you all day long, and you would still interpret the word of God the way you want to apply it to your life to satisfy yourself, not God. I do not debate or argue God’s word, or the holy disciples and prophets he used to teach us his words of righteousness and wisdom to live by…especially with people such as yourself. Chuck…God’s creation and commandments to live by are already in place…well put together…he didn’t forget…he didn’t need to add anything to his agenda. It’s proof positive throughout the scriptures. Very much like Jesus the Savior who came aboard for everyone (past and present), God has already prepared words of wisdom for those that think, feel and operate such as you. The questions you’ve asked on your post have answers to them all through the scriptures. He is very much effective in his plan of getting us to behave decently towards one another. We Christians stand together all over the world in amazingly mind-boggling numbers…we are ONE body in Christ and real Christians do behave decently! His word tells us there will be many scoffers…many rebellers. He said that many will be lovers of themselves and what pleases them and not interested in pleasing God no matter what the Bible says. I find that throughout the Bible, the Word of God is spoken with such eloquence. It’s powerful. It’s all up to us…one another…as to how effective it is in our lives. His word is sharper than any two-edged sword…it cleanses. I myself do not find his approach as hands-off…it’s very hands-on. He can touch each and every one of our lives with an awesome hands-on approach…especially for those of us who would allow him. It’s true, there are dozens and dozens of Christian denominations, however, the Word of God says there would be many false prophets among us, and he also said “my sheep know my voice”. But to know Him means to study Him…this way you won’t have all those type questions (fun jokes, seriousness or whatever) because you will already have the answers. One last point to make, there are tv channels and 800 numbers for Christ, however, I can tune him into my life to be effective through any tv channel because of who I am in Him. Also, I can dial him up at any time of the day and never get a busy signal…he answers the call, he listens and he’ll respond…I’ve found him to always be on time with responses…he has never been late! It’s better than dialing any 800 number…it’s called prayer! Try it. He’s amazing! No matter what you believe, think or feel of what God ought to be doing about the happenings on this planet…in any given situation…he has the last word and the final judgment. This creation is God’s plan in effect…it’s not man’s analogy…as you can see.

July 28, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  16. God

I also appreciate the CNN article above of the pastor giving thanks for "smokin" hot wife. This was one of my top priorities for this year so its good to get credit.

July 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

I bet you would F her God. lol

July 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  17. Paul Ronco

That's funny that people who believe in God should answer this way. God is doing his job perfectly.

July 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  18. Rodney in Dallas

The other 48% realize is all a crock of crap and that there is no such thing as God.

July 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  19. George_W_Dufus

I disapprove.

I can't wait until Jesus is ressurected so we can re-crucify him out of disgust!!!

Maybe we can suffocate him with the Profit Mofohammeds magic turban.

July 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Lucy

Funny that your ID includes Dufus because Jesus has already been resurrected! Better not to speak than to remove all doubt of your ignorance. Next time you'll be on your knees in front of Him, and the time is rapidly approaching. Be afraid, be very afraid.

July 27, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • ckelley

Lucy, the only thing we should be afraid of is the possibility of you reproducing.

July 27, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • sonofgadfly

Lucy: Be afraid? Of what? Of a guy that loves me enough to die for me? Or of all his so-called followers who are actively trying to precipitate Armageddon?

July 27, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  20. Spiffy

I found this article very funny. While we are polling people's opinions of mythical beings I think the pollster should have asked how people think Zeus is doing his job. What about fairies are they doing a good job of spreading their pixy dust? Peter Pan I think has been slacking off at his job recently. Athena isn't being all that smart I think lately.

July 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Paul Ronco

The problem with this line of reasoning is that, unlike the mythical creatures you present, God actually exists.

July 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Spiffy

Really? And why should I believe in him? Is there any proof of his existence?

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • sonofgadfly

Paul Ronco: Thank you so much. I've been wondering all my life whether or not He really exists. I'm glad you've finally cleared that up for me.

July 27, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • 4EverBlue

Oh really?? So, of all the thousands of "Gods" that have existed for various groups and populations of humans in the past... all of a sudden its YOUR GOD who actually exists? Umm... ok. Just so you know, your God is a myth just like all the rest. Humans create "God" so that they don't have to accept reality as it is. Basic psychology. Not that that means anything to people like you...

July 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |