home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. TheyNotHim

The question stated: "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

They asked the question of 928 people, and less than 100 responded? So, the other 800+ did not answer because they know that god does not exist. There is hope for us after all...

July 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • GodPot

Did theyfollow it up with "If God doesn't exist, do you approve or disapprove of its non-existence?"

July 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
  2. CPW

Really?

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  3. David, CA

I love it when delusional psychotics posit straw man arguments and think they've made a point.

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • GodPot

I don't. I think it's sad and is an indicator of how poorly educated most American's are. It's also an indicator for why so many people are easily scammed by religion.

July 27, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  4. Michael

In this day and age, that's a landslide.

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  5. Al Stefanelli

Great! 52% of America thinks a non-existent, invisible being is doing a good job. Well, 87% of children think Santa is doing a good job, 94% of children think the Tooth Fairy is doing a good job and 78% of children think the Easter Bunny is doing a good job. Wonderful. Makes me proud.

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • David

I really don't think the Tooth Fairy is rated as high as you suggest.

July 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • GodPot

I'm pretty sure the Tooth Fairy relies on the Easter Bunny and Santa for most of his business... so job performance would be based on the other two doing their jobs well...

July 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  6. Gavin Ford

"worship me or I will torture you for all eternity" – Your Loving God

July 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Madtown

Yes, and let's not forget that the average human lifespan is what..70ish years? Tortured for all eternity for the crime of using the mind that God gave us, to think and question. A "sin" that is perpetrated for, maybe 50 or so years(after we mature and make up our mind about religion), that deserves eternal damnation?! God is also just, we are told.

July 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • GodPot

Humans invented eternal damnation to scare the begeezus out of poor illiterate peasants into giving their last copper into the Church's coffers. Even though their belly's went empty, their soul's were assured peace from the scary afterlife, and since they were likely going there very soon (often due to malnutrition) it likely seemed worth it. And not being able to read for themselves, they had to take the Churches word for it. And every member of those same churches that were taking from the poor (as they still do) has blood on their hands. Just an FYI to ye Christians out there 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • 4mercy

No personal relationship with God in your house, huh?

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  7. The Guy

Excuses, excuses....

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  8. BackSlider

Can somebody clarify something silly for me? Was God talking to me when he said "Love Thy Neighbor" in one of those useless/often ignored commandment thingys.

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  9. Rationalist

If there is no God, I wonder what would happen to all of those religious nutjobs. Would their heads just explode or something?

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  10. FajitaBob

And how do you think God would rate Public Policy Polling? I'm going to guess about a negative infinity or so...

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  11. organically

The existence of GOD is the gretest scam and lie in the history of the earth

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • FajitaBob

You better hope you're right–eternity is a LOOOOOOONG time.

July 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Madtown

FajitaBob
      You better hope you're right–eternity is a LOOOOOOONG time.
      ---
      Fajita, is eternal damnation a just punishment for only a few years of the sin of questioning belief? God is just, but seems to me this penalty is more than a bit harsh.

July 27, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Doh

@Madtown

God does not send anyone to Hell (as in punishing them for eternity). We choose to go there. Hell is to be separated from His presence and when someone chooses to believe that He does not exist then He gives that person what they ask for – separation from Him. It's quite a loving act, really. He wants nothing more than for His children to reside with Him as He has many rooms for everyone in His home, but if we don't wish to live there with Him why do you want to be forced to? When one of His children spends their life on earth asking to be separated from Him then he grants that child what they want even when it breaks his heart. As parents we often have to let our children choose their own path even when we know that it is the wrong one for them. He lovingly allows us to make the choice for ourselves and He gives us a lifetime to make it.

It's not a sin to question God, btw. He encourages us to KNOW Him and that involves questioning, arguing, and debating with him in prayer as well as studying scripture and learning about Him. Through Job and Habakkuk we see that wrestling with God is welcomed.

Peace.

July 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Doh: That's the most irrational thing I've ever heard.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Madtown

@Doh
      No, all the time I hear in church about God's judgement, the judgement day, and eternal damnation(yes, I go to church regularly, believe in God, but not the tenants of human-created organized religions). I enjoyed your statement, eloquently written. How are you so sure of any of it?

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • 4mercy

Doh is correct according to Catholic teaching. We will determine our own eternal punishment according to how we view our life once we have passed on. We will, with God's grace, see the error of our ways and choose our own punishment to eventually purify our souls and grow closer to Him.

July 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Madtown

4mercy
      Doh is correct according to Catholic teaching.
      ---
      Cool. What about adherents to other religions? They're burning for eternity, huh?

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • 4mercy

No, re-read my post. People will be judged according to what they have been taught....if you are Jewish, I'd want to be the best Jew I could be because that's what I'll be judged on. Same with Muslims, same with pygmies. However, if you have been given the message of salvation through Jesus and reject it, I believe that is a different matter. I believe it, but I cannot prove it. We'll just have to wait and see when we all pass on.

July 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Doh

God's interminable love for His creation extends into Hell. Please don't blame Him when you are given exactly what you asked for in eternity. If someone were to curse me continually and state emphatically that they do not want to live in my home I would give them what they want as well – a choice to live away from my presence. That is the choice that we all must make – to live with Him or without Him. I simply don't understand when people get angry because there is a possibility that God will grant your request to live without Him. If people choose to live without Him on earth then why would they want to live with him in eternity? And if you don't believe then why do you care?

SeanNJ, I'm sorry that it didn't make sense to you. I'll try to use smaller words next time.

July 27, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Doh: Smaller words aren't going to help make that convoluted thought process any clearer.

July 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  12. TNT

I'm not sure who is more stupid...The writer of this story or the people who answered it seriously.
    Stop believing in fairy tails people!
    Gods will is 100% on track, please spare me...Weak minded sheep.

July 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Capercorn

So... Only 2 percent of the population is actually atheist. Yet the overwhelming majority of posters here are atheists.

What can I conclude from this? Atheists are neckbearded lulzcows with no lives.

July 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
  13. David

@Telexa – God's will is for us to be screw ups? If he has a plan and it is succeeding then it was his wish for us to be devided and many of us to reject him. Then why bother with all this debate? Why do evangelicals so passionately defend him/her/it?

July 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • God

Actually, I based actual life on the board game Life.

July 27, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • David

That's funny. Based on how most Christians act I assumed it was based on Monopoly or Risk.

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • The Guy

David, there's no sense in trying to reason with the unreasonable.
      Remember that religion is kind of like the mob – once you're in, you can't get out or "damnation" / death awaits.

July 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • FajitaBob

And why do you so passionately deny Him? Follow your own logic, dumdum.

July 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • The Guy

Bob, he's denied because irrefutable facts make his existence impossible as outlined in the book you so revere.

For example, the bible dates the origins of the universe back 6000 years. Physics, chemistry, and astrology have all proven that the universe is at least 10 billion years old. Do basic math and you're off a few years.

That's called logic, dumdum.

July 27, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  14. God

Lightning is when I walk across the carpet with my socks on and touch a door knob. Rain is when I miss the toilet bowl. Don't ask me about mud slides.

July 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • really

Pray i thee may tell me which phony luny art thou? claiming to use the letters GOD in these posts?

Thou shall not take his name in vain....

July 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  15. BackSlider

Christ knows he wouldn't come back to Earth. If they were bad to him back then, he wouldn't last a second in MeMeMe world.
    Given the chance, people would complain and whine about all the things they didn't get or don't have and about all their suffering, rather than rejoice in all the good things the Earth has to offer. Hate rules.

July 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  16. MaxBart

God never changes, but people sure want Him to. I'm less concerned about peoples' approval rating of God and more concerned about his approval of us mere mortals.

July 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • God

You're running about 37% right now.

July 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • The Guy

Haha

July 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • MaxBart

That was funny! I would have been happy with 25%, although I'm really trying to be a good person 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • God

Oddly enough among people who claim to be my followers the rating isn't any higher than the general population.

July 27, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • MaxBart

God, you are 100% correct. You said in scripture that you are no respector of persons and your love applies equally to everyone, regardless of whether they believe in you or follow you. I don't deserve your love and yet you still offer it so generously. I need to pay that love forward to all people, regardless, and that is my life's project. . . to serve you by serving others.

July 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  17. Talexa

What a stupid poll. God's Will is 100% on track. Humans are the screw ups. He left us in His garden to take care of it. He gave us power over evil in Jesus name, we've made unbelievable technology progress, but the problems we have are our own and the product of what we have done to the world. Accidents happen yes, most of them are from our own human mistakes. Bad things happen just from being on earth (weather kills sometimes). But when we do die we are back with our Father and just started our life in the eternity, if we choose God instead of the want-to-be Satan.

July 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Deus Capite

Nonsense. When we die, we become worm food. It is what we do during this lifetime that determines our impact on the world we leave behind. People who live this life with a deep belief that there is something after it scare me immensely.

July 27, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Capercorn

@Deus Capite: But doesn't it make sense from an evolutionary standpoint for one to develop a defense mechanism against contemplating one's own mortality?

Furthermore, what makes me scared is people who get angry whenever something that is socially relevant [that they themselves happen to not like] is mentioned.

July 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Aaron

The poll is stupid sure, but not for the reasons you suggest. It is just a stupid topic . . . as are the blind beliefs that you espouse. Believing something does not make it so.

July 27, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Deus Capite

@Capercorn –

Perhaps that is the evolutionary mechanism. Then it should be viewed as such and we should see if there is better way to deal with the innevitable truth. That is, however, much different (if viewed as a natural/evolutionary reaction by mere humans) compared to religious dogma and promoted belief that I have to bow down to funny men in costumes and follow their advice even though throughout history people like that have been proven wrong in their assertions time and again (e.g., see Galileo, Copernicus, Giordano Bruno, etc.).

As for why getting angry - the presence and misuse of religion in daily lives has reached utterly ridiculous levels (see politics, schools, international relationships, etc.). I am simply afraid of people who disregard this planet and life because they think that this is temporary and that there is another life after it... they tend to make irrational decisions that impact me as well.

I trust you see my point. Let everyone believe what they will and keep it to themselves. But when a narrow view of our world permietes all parts of our lives, I'm not sure how we can evolve as even more superior species who can rationally work towards a peaceful and prosperous existence.

keep the discussion going.. civil discourse is still better than violence 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Talexa

Yep, your body becomes worm food. But your spirit is quite another thing. I don't fight over these things. You will see soon enough. Best wishes

July 27, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Talexa

@Aaron,,, correct believing doesn't make it true,,, but not believing doesn't make it false either. We simply can not see into the spiritual dimension. Some have to see to believe. Protons, neutrons and electrons couldn't be seen with the naked eye, but that didn't mean they weren't there.

July 27, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  18. David

@Bill – If police were all powerful, they would stop all crime. Bad analogy.

July 27, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  19. Deus Capite

Folks, you CANNOT measure performance of something that does not exist.

Instead, you should focus on approval rating of yourself, your family, people close to you, your co-workers, grocery store clerk, county district attorney, state governor, senator, and president.

Why does religion have to make it to front page of news websites on a daily basis?

July 27, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • come on man

@ Deus Capite
      and how do you know that for sure?

July 27, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  20. Gavin Ford

Homer Simpson: "He's to busy answering prayers, and not existing."

July 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm |