home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. Brandon

I approve of Santa's performance as well. However, that Easter bunny has been incompetent and should be impeached.

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  2. Letsbereasonable

It's not that god sucks at his job; the problem is that he never shows up to work.

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  3. Kenrick Benjamin

Says Who Spiffy.

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  4. servantofGod

God. There is no god but He
    The Living, the Eternal.
    No slumber can seize Him nor sleep.
    His are all the things in the heavens and on earth.
    Who is there that can intercede in His presence except as He permits?
    He knows what is before them or behind them.
    They do not encompass anything of His knowledge except as He wills.
    His Throne extends over the heavens and the earth,
    And He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them
    He is the Most High, the Supreme.

July 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Letsbereasonable

You're only right about one fragment of your diatribe, "There is no god."

July 27, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  5. Amistavia

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. " Douglas Adams

July 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  6. blf83

My rating of God will go up when he makes the Tea Party disappear (though the rapture is a figment of imagination of a 19th century snake oil salesman/embezzler) or turns Mr. Boehner and the Rebubs blue.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  7. TAK

This just in: The Easter Bunny's approval rating is 62%, the Tooth Fairy's is 81% and Santa Clause's is a whopping 94%. Looks like your imaginary bearded friend in the sky has a lot of catching up to do.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • WED

Indeed! This myth DOES have a lot of catching up to do. I think Thor has a higher approval rating.

July 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
  8. Laughing

God's choice he gave to man

Ok buddy, I give you free will, you are allowed to do whatever you want, I promise, this isn't a trick.

In one hand I can promise you a really great life, candy, and a smokin hot wife, like really really big brea.sts and everything. All you have to do is follow exactly what I say. Basically here's your free will but check that sh.it at the door and follow me

Here's the second choice that you can willingly (and unwillingly) choose. eternal fire, dead puppies and everyone hates you. You can choose this way, or if you don't follow what I say, this is what you'll get anyways. Oh, and for good measure, I'm going to make you gay, or a woman, or whatever, which I don't like. I mean, what's life without a little handicap? I know I'm omnipotent, but you can't expect me to give you everything. I love you, but I don't love you THAT much.

Now go on, make a choice.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Richard

What a loser!! one side of the box reads Omnipotent! Omnisessant! The other side sez Dude I didn't do it!!
      Is this god or Bart Simpson!?!?!

July 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • The Guy

Trick question – Bart Simpson is god.

July 27, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  9. Charles

Look, I am not trying to poke fun, but looks what happens when I change the words around. Would you take me seriously if I wrote the folllowing? The words I changed are in capital letters.

I then went home to NJ to tend to my Dad. After he came home from having his operation, I retired to my accommodations on the couch as I had so many other nights before not realizing that I would forever be a changed man the next morning. I say that because something profound happened that evening. I dreamed a dream like no other.

It appeared as though I was on a SPACESHIP. Everything was white and I could not make out any specific features. About twenty feet in front of me sat a tall, lean figure in a white gown. He spoke saying, “I like your perfection in certain things.” I immediately knew who it was, and somehow remembering that article that I had read, found myself asking, “Why won't our CREATORS reveal himself so we can unite under AS ONE GALAXY?” As I said this, something even more profound happened. The scene immediately changed and I found myself looking at a face—first from a distance and then moving closer until it was directly in front of me. The words “handsome”, “beautiful”, and “perfect” can never come close to accurately describing what I saw. I remember ITS DARK EYES, GREY COMPLEXTION, AND DISTINCT CHEEK BONES which seemed to convey greatness or eternity.

It was ALLEN, THE ALIEN BEING in all his greatness.

The scene changed yet again and this time I found myself a captive audience to the ALIEN I had seen on the path. I witnessed Him from about the same distance as before. This time He appeared from the waist up and was set up on what appeared to A SPACESHIP. The background was white again and was filled with light. I remember the gold, ornate detail on His white gown. I remember the breadth of His strong shoulders and how tall He was. He was bigger than life. He was speaking but yet his words were not audible as they had been before. Although this was the case, the message was still clear. And I did hear one last thing before it all ended. He said, “Yes, unite AS ONE GALAXY.”

That man was ALLEN.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  10. Blaqb0x

Of all the human beings ever born, roughly 100 Billion, half have died as children. That's 50 billion children dead of disease, starvation, etc. Who created the universe so this is allowed to happen?

July 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  11. Jim Frost

It always amazes me the things God gets blamed for, when we should be blaming ourselves, as human beings for the messes we are in.

July 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • David

As an atheist I think this is a point we agree on. We seem to disagree on whether or not we can take credit for the good that we create.

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Jimbo

Ok, so why praise him when good things happen?

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Godfrey

Actually, in my experience God usually gets credit for the good stuff while humanity gets the blame for the bad stuff.

Fuzzy bunnies? God.
      Tsunami? The sins of Man.

July 27, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • God

I really had nothing to do with those bunnies.

July 27, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  12. Amistavia

Clearly god doesn't exist, but if he did, Satan would be the lesser of the two evils.

July 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Richard

SATAN! 2012! the lessor of three evils!!!!

July 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  13. Carrie

Any "believer" that gave their god a poor rating isn't much of a believer at all. The deity one believes in isn't there to hold hands and fix mistakes, that deity is there to set an example in a way of living and how to treat your follow man. Christians are so bloody lazy.

July 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • SeanNJ

I refuse to believe in any god that won't hold my hand and fix my mistakes.

Hey...wasn't he supposed to be carrying some dude in that Footsteps thing? So carrying is OK? Is he Howie Mandel?

July 27, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  14. Spiffy

For people who say we shouldn't judge God; Is God responsible for his creation? If he is then he is doing a horrible job. If no then why praise someone who doesn't even care about you?

July 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  15. wilson

God needs a punch in the nose for creating all this mess.

July 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • P

People are responsible for this mess....

July 27, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • SueRH

What mess? It seems that humans created all of the mess.

July 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  16. Zag Zaggy

God is imaginary. Prove otherwise...
    The burden of proof is upon the person who makes extraordinary claims. And extraordinary claims (like the existence of a magical being) require extraordinary evidence. If you make the extraordinary claim that there's a god, then you better be able to provide extraordinary AND REAL evidence.

July 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • God

I did make a guest appearance on South Park. My son is a regular on that show and Family Guy. Is that good enough for you?

July 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • antioch

I wish I had a dime for every time I heard some blind-hearted person say this. The evidence of a higher power lies within. If you're looking for external evidence you won't find it. If you're asking for evidence only to start an argument, then you need to grow up and quit wasting your time and energy on negativity.

July 27, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Schmidt

Weeellll.... The whole idea beind 'proof' is subjective. I can't 'prove' to you that polar bears live in Antarctica, only show you a picture of one, and tell you what someone has told me about them. It is then your choice whether you would believe the evidence presented, or choose not to. If your mindset has been set on believing there is no God, then no amount of evidence prented to you would change your mind; other than seeing what's on the other side of death, of course.

July 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Schmidt

Presented*

July 27, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Jared

What would you like as proof? Let me offer what I've witnessed with my own eyes. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I (virtually) stand before you as one who knows God is real.

A friend of mine pulled the trigger on a gun that was aimed at his head. He managed not to kill himself, but he lost his hearing in his left ear and lost a lot of his left jawbone. Fast forward 20 years and a small group of us are praying for him to "clear his head." We weren't praying for healing, just mental clarity. He reacted oddly and we learned that God had healed his ear. He could all of a sudden hear. Over the next couple weeks or so his jawbone regrew. I witnessed this with my own eyes and felt the bone. He has the X-rays.

The second is of a man who was injured in a motorcycle accident. He was crippled, but could walk slumped over with the help of a cain. One day there was a call for prayer and before he knelt, he threw his cain down and started running around the church.

Mind you these aren't strangers to me. I know them and knew of their problems long before they were healed. Explain it away if you wish, but does it not make you quesiton if there might be more than you understand? That isn't to say I understand everything. I held my brother's hand as he took his last breath, but then come to think of it his wife and unborn daughter were in the car with him and his wife didn't have a scratch on her and carried their daughter safely to term. If you'd have seen the car you would understand the significance of her not being injured.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • CosmoChick

hehehe, @schmidt, that's funny... you do realize that that there is REAL proof that polar bears exist in antartica, because people (living people, who live, for real, today) have brought back real video footage and because you can go to antartica (or i can go) and we will see these polar bears...

but forget that. you say you can't prove polar bears are real, you can just show me a picture... greeeat! awesome, that's good enough for me: show me a picture of God and i'll start believing you.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • CosmoChick

@jared... i'm sorry, wait, let me get this straight. God cured your friend's ear and jaw, but he won't help feed the billions of starving children in africa, the millions dying of cancer here and the millions innocents affected by war? he cured your friend but he allowed for the nazis to commit genocide?

...and you still say your God is a fair one?

July 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • Jared

Christian groups are on the front lines of the hunger problems. Pick a disaster or a need in the world and more than likely anywhere from dozens to hundreds of faith based organizations are on the ground trying to help. One of my favorites is Convoy of Hope, which provides food and basic necessities to people. It has one of the best donation to output ratios out there (low overhead). Other organizations that you might recognize were started because someone felt called by God to fill a need. Feed the Children, The American Red Cross, and Habitat for Humanity are just a few examples. Most of these are funded by small donations.

In the end though, God doesn't control us, but gives us the freedom to choose our own paths. I thank Him for the strength to do what He has called me to do and who He has called me to be. Perhaps if we all did as we were called to do those atrocities wouldn't happen and people would be fed. I don't know and I don't clam to have all the answers.

July 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Jared

-------
      Its pretty pathetic when man has to do god's work. God is the worst landlord of all time. Besides being a r a p i s t and deadbeat dad. You can have your god.

July 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Jared

Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

----------

Thank you, I'm glad I can have my God. One of the first things God did in the garden is put man to work. I have no fear of work or a problem with helping others. I assume that you don't either and support aid programs. I applaud for you for doing so. As for your other claims, I have to disagree with your assertions, but you are welcome to them.

July 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  17. chuck

OK so now we know that 48% of people are going straight to HE11. If you don't approve of the big man's performance, then well, I guess it sucks to be you........take your sunscreen.

July 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Spiffy

Do threats really work in conversion?

Also did you read the article?

July 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Assagor

HeLL!!!!!

July 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • David

Spiffy

Ironically threats and tax breaks do seem the most effective means of conversion.

July 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  18. MIke Prede

Atheists again with their irrationality!
    God is "responsible" for his creation....have you forgotten of FREE WILL (something that you morons don't have, cause your delusional cult of atheism doesn't give you so)

July 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Spiffy

What is so free about free will? It is basically believe in God or suffer eternal pain. How is that a choice?

July 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • TAK

"Atheists again with their irrationality!"

This quote belongs in a dictionary. Under "irony".

July 27, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Marik7

If God has free will, then certainly God can be held responsible for God's creation. The idea of free will is bound up totally with the idea of individual responsibility. If you have free will and commit a crime, you are held responsible. Of course, God can't be imprisoned, but God can be held responsible–IF free will exists.

July 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • sandalista

well said...in true christian, loving fashion.

July 27, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

MIke Prede

Atheists again with their irrationality!

------–
      Please really think about what you are saying. My god they get dumber and dumber.

July 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  19. darryl

We're still clinging to the imaginary. One need only consider the horrible suffering in the world to know there can't be a god as described in any writing. But then again a close critical read of those writings should be sufficient to kill any notion of a god figure with all the contradictions, errors, false prophecies, monsters, unicorns, etc, and this just in the Bible.

July 27, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • justin

Haha always the same people saying the same thing. Blah blah blah god is imaginary, blah blah blah i need to throw in an intelligent word to feel smart. Blah blah blah etc. When the fact is you and I and everyone else in the world doesn't know what really happens when you pass away. Its called thinking outside the world and whats beyond...
      Over analyzing and criticizing a book of religion written way before your birth is way more ignorant then believing in it.

July 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  20. Assagor

This is good news. I intend to write my guardian angel and voice my concerns. I think Gawd is allowing too many people into heaven. We need to raise the soul ceiling.

July 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm |