home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. austin

Yahweh, the Father of the Lord Jesus Christ is Lord of All and is not a thing or force, but a person. Those who trust in him will find peace and love

July 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • IamGOD

you're talking about the god who invented Malaria and killed 20 billion of humans? yeah, he is pretty much a mass murderer...

July 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Alex Gessong

@austin: God is not a person. God invented people. People are fallible. God is not.

July 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Jamie

IamGod,

I just prayed for you. For one there is a being called satan on this earth, malaria, cancer, and hiv they were all caused by him. You say you dont believe in God? Well I know you believe in love and evil? You cannot see those can you but, they are there wheather you want to say so or not. Look at the universe. Their are millions and millions of galaxies. Did they all come togeather by themselves. Have you ever noticed that earth was placed exactly in the right place from the moon and the sun. Have you ever noticed that we fit the world perfect. Its just like the biblel said the earth was made and then we were put on here to inhabit it. Have you ever looked at your eye how it reacts to darkness and light and how beautiful it is. Have you ever thought about how fast your brain works and how you can process stuff? Did this all happen by chance? People say Jesus is a fairy tale. Their is no question from any scholar in the world that something happened two thousand years ago that turned the world upside down. What was it? It was Jesus Christ. Know one can say that Jesus Christ didnt exist because its been proven that he has. For one by the bible, also by non biblical sources. Have you did research on how complex one cell in our body is and we have trillions of them? I just through some basic facts out there but, I love you whoever you are and I pray that you could see the light of God and see that he is around you. He loves you so much and the only thing you have to do is beleive by faith of what he has showed you. People discredit the bible so much. It has been disputed and disputed since the time it was written. People and nations have tried to get ride of the bible, people have tried to disprove the bible but, the more "scientific" we get the more we show how powerful Gods word is. Earth and sky will pass away, but it is certain that my words will not pass. That is a fact and no matter what anyone tries to do GODS word will never pass away. I pray that you put your pride aside and ask the Lord to forgive you of your sins. God Bless you and have a wonderful day!

July 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Tim

Very well said Jamie, I am also praying for "IamGod". (two can put 10,000 to flight)!

July 27, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • biblereader

@iamgod

Colossians 1:17 says: "He (Christ) existed before enything else, and he holds all creation together."

Laminim is the protein in our cells that hold them together. Google laminim and see the shape of them. Coincidence? I think not!

July 27, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Tim

Biblereader..thanks for sharing that bit of information. It is VERY interesting. Just one more proof that He is the creator, The Alpha and Omega!

July 27, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  2. bill

dumb dumb dumb dumb

July 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  3. Vorona

Atheists and Christians: SHUT THE **** UP.

So both of you - SHUT THE **** UP.

July 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • IamGOD

lol.. what a hypocrisy.. tell people not to be a$$h0les and then tell them to ST$U.. LOL!

July 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Scott

How do you really feel?

July 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Laughing

Yep, you solved it Vorona, thanks for the directness of your approach, now if only you would get up in front of congress and do the same thing, I'm sure everyone will listen to you there as well as they did here

July 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • J.W

This blog would be really boring if we all took your advice.

July 27, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • V01D

LOL!

As if we could reach out to the faithful with reasonable discussion? Been there, done that, took some Advil. You've clearly never tried that. It's like debating a child regarding their imaginary friend.

No, that never accomplishes much. But every now and then it's fun to give the wasp nest a kick. Stop being so sensitive.

July 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

I think Verona needs to get l a i d.

July 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • V01D

What's really funny is that she's getting ripped up by both atheists AND christians right now lol

July 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Atheists and Christians: SHUT THE **** UP.

Why?

> Atheists: Do you really think that making insulting comments about God is really going to make believers suddently stop believing? No? Then what's your point? (By the way, being insulting is the DUMBEST and most useless way to change someone's mind about anything. Doesn't make you sound too smart.)

If you weren't borderline retarded, you'd realize the reason why we do it. Go on now, think about it. Why would atheists come online to talk to theists and debate them. Why do politicians debate?

> Christians: Do you really think quoting the Bible is suddenly going to make an atheist a believer? Really? Does quoting the Koran make people all of a sudden Muslim? So stop being stupid.

They do for the most part because they actually think that bringing up bible quotes is a valid form of argument. You have to remember that these words contain magical powers that can soften the hearts of any atheist and expose them to the truth. At least, that's the way they see it. I see it as mindless drivel that only the truly indoctrinated can accept.

> So both of you – SHUT THE **** UP.

NO U.

July 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  4. IamGOD

Last time I checked God invented MALARIA and killed 20 billion of humans.. Yeah pretty much FAIL!

July 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Tim

Last time I checked GOD created you and you WILL bow before HIM and tell HIM that HE is LORD OF ALL! You are better off keeping your anti-God thoughts to yourself because you WILL give an account for everything that comes out of your mouth!

July 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • V01D

Does typing count, Tim? Because God is a sissie.

July 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Last time I checked just because you create something doesn't mean you can do with it what you like.

July 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • IamGOD

last time I checked there was ZERO evidence for his existence.. keep on dreaming TIM

July 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Tim

OK IamGod, Im sure it wont do any good to tell you to watch the sunset or notice how massive the ocean is or to even think back on Katrina or the Tornados in the South this spring so I will just do this, I will pray to my GOD that He will reveal to you that He does indeed exist! When it happens, don't pass it on as "mother nature", or an effect of the "Big Bang Theory", or something from 'Evolution", just know that it WILL BE GOD! At that point, I think I'd just begin to pray if I were you.

July 27, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  5. palintwit

Here in the Palin household we like to wallow in lard. We just fill up the hot tub with our favorite animal renderings and jump in.

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  6. MrSarcasm

What is really surprising about these numbers, is that Micky Mouse has passed Stanta Clause:

Micky Mouse: 82%
    Santa Clause: 68%
    God: 52%

Please note: These are the only 3 imaginary figures we track. We' can't speak to Popey or the Easter Bunny.

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  7. Adria K.

This is interesting. I'm not quite sure if that number seems low or high or just right but then again, I don't know the questions asked. I am happy however at the high level of satisfaction towards God's work with the animal kingdom, natural disasters and the creation of the Universe itself – although I'd like to know what the 5 that answered no are upset about...? Interesting poll. You would think in a politically correct world that these polls wouldn't happen as much so I'm glad this was done. Intriguing to read, anyway.

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  8. bob

Anyone who says that they are gods chosen people is a bigot. Anyone who says that they will go to heaven and I won't because I am an atheist is a bigot. Anyone who claims that I am not kosher but they are because both of their parents are kosher is a bigot. Anyone who calls me an infidel is a bigot. Anyone who claims that his religion is better than mine or better than none is a bigot. Anyone who claims that atheists are unfit for public service is a bigot. The moral of the story is don't judge people based on their religion or lack of religion. If you do, as in the instances I have stated, you are a bigot.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Scott

Change your name from "bob" to "boob".

July 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • bob

Scott can't come up with any relevant comment so he attacks.me. Scott is a bigot.

July 27, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • hey

Bigot.

July 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  9. IamGOD

you guys should google "Gregory Paul THE HOLOCAUST OF THE CHILDREN" .

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  10. topgod

god is reverse of dog. some dyslectic found god while looking at a dog.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  11. V01D

Next up: Slumping approval ratings for the Tooth Fairy, and a new poll indicating Santa Claus may be a more popular fictional character than Jesus.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Athla

Actually, historical Jesus existed according to historians who probably have far more education than you. His authority as a supernatural being is more questionable.

Don't be a dick, dude.

July 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • V01D

And I'm sure somewhere out there is a guy whose actual name is Clark Kent, but I'm pretty certain he isn't originally from Krypton. lol lighten up.

July 27, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  12. Joey

I have a feeling that God's approval rating of humans is much less than that!!!
    "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2 Chron 7:14 KJV

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Madtown

A quote written by another human being is indicative of God's polling of mankind?

July 27, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  13. Weep4America

It wouldn't matter if the so-called "approval rate" for God was 0%. What He does is right and just. People like blaming God for the mistakes of men and women. The right question to ask here is, "What is God's approval rating of us?" In the end, that's what's going to matter whether anyone likes it or not.

July 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  14. topgod

slow new day. god should punish the writer of this article

July 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  15. Kellie

Did it ever occur to anyone that God never promised any of us an easy life? He gave us free will, for us to choose our path. Ultimately, He wants us to choose Him. Take your Bible and read James 1:2: Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

When was the last time that you prayed for our leaders and our country? I know from my personal trials, I prayed for strength and deliverance. My faith was stronger than it had ever been in my life. I yearned to have a deeper relationship with Christ. I was delivered from my trials and now I appreciate what I have all the more.

July 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • J.W

I pray all the time. I never even have any problems anymore.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • J.W

...because God will take care of them for me.

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Madtown

Take your Bible and read...
      ---–
      Your bible was written by other human beings who want you to believe things as they thought they should be.

July 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Did it ever occur to anyone that God never promised any of us an easy life?

No one ever claimed that.

> He gave us free will, for us to choose our path. Ultimately, He wants us to choose Him.

An all knowing God who creates us cannot allow us to have free will. You'd do well to think about this. Also, read about the denial of jesus and the rooster crowing three times.

> Take your Bible and read James 1:2: Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Is that beside the part where Jesus tells slaves to be happy that they're slaves and that they should obey their master even if they're beaten? What good and just statements Jesus provided.

> When was the last time that you prayed for our leaders and our country?

Never, because it's stupid. Prayer doesn't work and has been demonstrated to work. Furthermore, why would God change his plans simply because someone asks him to? He causes millions to die from starvation and disease and people pray that "Little Suzie will win the beauty pageant." It's nuts.

> I know from my personal trials, I prayed for strength and deliverance. My faith was stronger than it had ever been in my life. I yearned to have a deeper relationship with Christ. I was delivered from my trials and now I appreciate what I have all the more.

You have built up a defense mechanism in your mind that makes you feel safe because you are unwilling to face reality on reality's terms. Perhaps you should try to actually think about things that are unpleasant to you so that you can grow past this infantile "daddy's protecting me" concept.

July 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  16. The Other Guy

God's done a horrible job. Look at the way things are now, with everything going down the toilet. If he's all powerful, than God would just snap his metaphorical fingers and everything would be perfect. So I'm giving him a 0%. He's doing worst than every politician on this planet combined.

July 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Dee

Wow! You really are out of touch with God.

July 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Scott

However, instead of complaining about what He does not do, we should thank Him in our prayers for the relatively great life that we enjoy in the United States. We have problems such as nut-cakes and bad weather but overall, we live very easy compared to the other side of the world. I think Him constantly for what we have in our country. You should too!

July 27, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Weep4America

Blaming God for the mistakes of man is everyone's favorite game to play. We make a mess of things and then you get mad when God doesn't fix it for you? Yeah, that makes sense.

July 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> It is not God's fault for the world we live in as we choose to make our own decisions to do the things we do. He gives us free will to choose as we please.

The only person who can say that is a person who's ignorant of the bible. Clearly people do not have free will. Look at peter and the rooster crowing 3 times. Consider that God is omnipotent and knows the future and creates us to his design.

God's characteristics do not allow for free will. The bible proves that and so does logic. 😛

July 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  17. IamGOD

google... Gregory Paul THE HOLOCAUST OF THE CHILDREN

July 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  18. krist

God's approval rating???
    you people are mentally ill....seriously, you really are

July 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Dee

I totally agree. Like God has anything to do with how us humans act. We're in control of our own destiny. Don't blame God for it. And for the number of people's responses that didn't capitalize "G" in God, there's just one example. We're the reason for our downfalls in this world. He just looks down and says "less people I have to deal with when the pearly gates open."

July 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Lucian

Nothing wrong with an approval rating for God. Not everybody loves your God the way you do, in fact, many people have a reason to dislike your God. Nothing mentally ill about thinking outside the Church created box.

July 27, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • V01D

Who's mentally ill, those who approve or those who disapprove?
      I would say both, for thinking their characters of mythology have any personal impact on the governance of nature.

July 27, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  19. IamGOD

this is how god works.... youtube... watch?v=F4RP8WpVSmE&feature=feedu

July 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  20. Chimper

What a waste of time and effort this poll was. CNN, Childish News Network

July 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Bill

Was this intentionally an oxymoron?

July 27, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Madtown

Oh, c'mon. At least it's not another story about $arah Palin. Could be a lot worse!

July 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm |