home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. John Waldrup

Who are we to judge God he is the almighty and no man could ever come close to doing what God has done and still going to do. We are in this mess because this nation has kicked God and his son Jesus out of our schools and out of our nation. And for you people that refer to God as ITS wait till you see what God is about to do. AS FOR ME AND MINE WE LOVE GOD THROUGH JESUS CHRIST.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • derp

Just curious, when is curing cancer going to be part of his plan?

July 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Martin T

Curing cancer is the least of it, when is he going to do something about the tens of thousands of children dying each year in Africa or how about getting his sorry a$$ed Churches to do something about the hungry and sick children right here in the US?

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Sybaris

Okay, I get it, the persecuted Christian.

Let’s see, you can’t swing a cat without hitting a Christian church, there’s a dozen Sunday morning televangelists, prayers before public events, over 75% of U.S. citizens claim the Christian god, bibles in every hotel room, “God” on our money, Christian book stores, and nationally recognized Christian holidays.

Yeah, I can see why you’re so defensive.

July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • jim

I sincerely hope you don't own any guns, we don't need any more armed loonies running around!

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • richunix

Two thousand years ago multiple religions were the cultural norm. The belief in multiple GODs was widely accepted and only varied by type (and special abilities) depending the region you were from. None of the stories were ever PROVEN (BAR NONE) and are always written well after the events. The only thing that has changed was the names used, from Sumerian times the God “An” to the current Christian name “YAHWEH”. To make a finer point the only thing that changed was the “story teller” and this was done to improve his or her deity. These writers create wondrous feats of magic that go beyond any basic physical laws. You find the very same Creation (according to the Sumerian) stories written thousand years earlier, only the name has changed to meet the current God in use. Of course when any questioned these stories, always supplied the same standard answer “God says so” . But yet the same people will question any other believer’s of different religious sects like the Jehovah Witness and Mormons and then label them as “whack–jobs” , but they fail to see Christians are no different. The major difference is modern man has proven through scientific exam the laws of nature and how man really works and YES we evolved from lower forms of life and YES Apes are our distance cousin (deal with it).

I’m not interested in changing anyone beliefs, that is for you to decide. If believing in whatever you wish to believe make you feel better about yourself, please continue. But stop with trying to make these stories sound if they are true. No ONE (BAR NONE) has ever seen any God (outside of the occasional burring bush and always alone), parted the Red Sea or the Jewish Sea of Reeds or even a damn pond or have they ever turned anyone to stone, pillar of salt or into your favorite color. If you tried (and a few have) to use any of the stories mention in the bible as a test of scientific theory or used in court for defense the angel Satan made me do it, or God said so, who are you to say “He’s lying”

I’m very happy with my life and YES I know I’m going to die as it is very much a part of life. I’m not so vain or fearful about what will happen that I need stories to comfort my fears. I know I will live forever, I can see it every day with the next generation and I sigh with relief, that they will make the world a better place. Enjoy your life, do what you can to make it better, don’t live in fear of unknown.

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • rdg18

Soon, when he destroys most of the people of the world and gathers his own to his kingdom. I for one am looking forward to leaving this sinful world to most of you.

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • derp

" I for one am looking forward to leaving this sinful world to most of you."

We are looking forward to your departure as well.

July 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • derp

"you can’t swing a cat without hitting a Christian"

That actually sounds like fun. Can we get it into the 2012 London summer games.

"Up next in the feline christian pelting finalss is American Brock Summers. Brock has chosen a 25lb tabby and will be swinging it at Pat Robertson. Lets see how he does."

July 27, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

John Waldrup

-------

Folks another example of the Christian Taliban. They want the United States of Jesus. Like their counterparts in the ME they want their god to rule over the country. These delusional idiots are the enemy of The People and our country.

July 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

I don't like what I see, or understand how it fits into my belief system --> "God works in mysterious ways".
      Oh that again.

July 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • of Christ

The proof is in the experience, of which many have had:

Some stories need to be told. This one is no exception. It all happened when my Dad was sick. We had just brought him home from the hospital after surgery to remove his colon. He had suffered from colitis since he has in high school. Those who suffer from this condition are more susceptible to colon cancer. During his annual colonoscopy, they had discovered the earliest stage of colon cancer. It was time for them to take it out. Shortly before going back to NJ to help him, I read something that bothered me. It was an article in Wired Magazine on Atheism. I read the perspective of the scientists and academics as they conveyed their confident beliefs on the absence of God and Heaven. When I was done reading, I thought to myself, “What if this is true? What if there is no Heaven and God.” I didn't want to die and have somebody turn off the lights, so to speak, and that be it. It angered me as I considered this possibility. It didn't shake my faith, however.

I then went home to NJ to tend to my Dad. After he came home from having his operation, I retired to my accommodations on the couch as I had so many other nights before not realizing that I would forever be a changed man the next morning. I say that because something profound happened that evening. I dreamed a dream like no other.

It appeared as though I was on a path. Everything was white and I could not make out any specific features. About twenty feet in front of me sat a tall, lean figure in a white gown. He spoke saying, “I like your perfection in certain things.” I immediately knew who it was, and somehow remembering that article that I had read, found myself asking, “Why won't our Father reveal himself so we can unite under one God?” As I said this, something even more profound happened. The scene immediately changed and I found myself looking at a face—first from a distance and then moving closer until it was directly in front of me. The words “handsome”, “beautiful”, and “perfect” can never come close to accurately describing what I saw. I remember His goatee, distinct cheek bones, long, dark hair tucked behind his right ear, and dark eyes which seemed to convey greatness or eternity.

It was God in all his greatness.

The scene changed yet again and this time I found myself a captive audience to the man I had seen on the path. I witnessed Him from about the same distance as before. This time He appeared from the waist up and was set up on what appeared to be clouds. The background was white again and was filled with light. I remember the gold, ornate detail on His white gown. I remember the breadth of His strong shoulders and how tall He was. He was bigger than life. He was speaking but yet his words were not audible as they had been before. Although this was the case, the message was still clear. And I did hear one last thing before it all ended. He said, “Yes, unite under one God.”

That man was Christ.

I can't say that I exactly woke up naturally that next morning. A feeling of love and happiness that I have never felt before filled me and brought me to consciousness. I sat there for some time that morning trying to make sense of what had just happened to me.

Was it a dream? Yes, but it was so much more. It was a vision. And the images left an indelible mark on me that I can still see as clearly in my mind as I did that night. I've struggled for some time to determine the meaning of it all when I've known the meaning all this time. First, it was about reassurance. That article scared me. It scared me so much that God and Christ did reveal themselves as if to say, “Don't worry. Here I am.” I can't say with certainty why it happened to me when so many others have asked for a sign or proof of God's existence, but I can say that I have been a person of faith for a long time. Perhaps the inaudible message that was conveyed explains this best. What was conveyed was this: I died for you and in return you have to have faith in me.

As human beings, we fear what we do not understand. And I believe that God and his works are beyond comprehension. My objective is not to convert you, not to impose my beliefs on you—only to get you to consider the possibility that there is a God if you are a nonbeliever.

I assure you that this all did happen to me. It is not something that I could have created. It was an awesome experience that brings tears to my eyes when I reflect on it.

Finally, this is a message of hope—that yes, God and His only Son are there and are waiting for us to return home.

July 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

of Christ

The proof is in the experience, of which many have had:

----------------
      I am going to stop you right there and clarify. Lets look at what you stated. Its not about evidence....its not about reality....it is about perception. Perceptions like yours happen across the board in all religions...miracles of all these gods.
      Please think about this:
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

July 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • richunix

OfChrist, don't you love the leaps and bounds we have made since we took the witchcraft out of science. Sorry but modern medicine was at work nor mytholgoical deity....

Stephen F Roberts: “I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Atheism is not a religion nor is it a belief.

July 27, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • RAWoD

What a ignorant airbag. When you die you decompose. Full stop. Believe whatever you want but consider not passing this BS on to your children. Let them enjoy life in the 21st century - not be stuck in the 18th (or earlier).

July 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Name

I think Of Christ did see a vision of God, but remember that He is beyond our understanding so he presented himself in a way we can understand.

To the idiot above me: Christianity does good things, so why do you hate it? Its what makes the US so great, freedom of choice. Maybe your from some place were that isn't allowed. If so, I feel deeply sorry for you.

July 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Frogist

ROTFL! @ derp! Thanks for that image! I heard it all in Eric Idle's voice! God I needed a laugh today!

July 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • SorryA$$ChurchMember

MartinT...

Go ahead, we'll follow your lead...

July 27, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  2. D. Hurley

What a complete load of horse sh-t.
    THINK ABOUT IT. Take 2 steps back from your programing/conditioning and really THINK ABOUT IT.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
  3. alsmeer1

1st of all........ GOD is not an "it" nor a she. He is known by many names, Yeshua, I AM, but certainly not "it".

@jasonp....... no He is a wonderful caring loving Father. and He never abandoned man. man is the one who turned and walked away from Him. man wanted to do 'his own thing' and see where it got him.... a deviate world to live in. then they blame God for all their failures.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • richunix

Since the Bible DOES mention other GODS. I'm opting for ZEUS...he's cooller...or would you be better served with "AN"

July 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • RAWoD

And you KNOW this how? I think you've been lied to.

July 27, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Frogist

@Alsmeer: You're assuming the God of Abraham. But the poll doesn't specify that god. It could be any number of gods through the ages. Many of whom were female.

July 27, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  4. rdg18

For most, God justs gives them over to their own way. American's think they know more than God. So God says fine, survive on your own then.

For myself, God has done an Awesome job. He has never once forsaken me and I have never had to beg for bread. I can't wait to see him face to face.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • richunix

rdg18 we have done quite well for the past 10000 years of recored history. When done even better once we took religion out of power...we flew to the stars.

July 27, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • RAWoD

Maybe you should hurry things up if it's that important to you.

July 27, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • mimi_nef

My life is wonderful. I have never wanted for anything. I've always had everything I needed and the vast majority of what I wanted. I've never known suffering.

I do not believe in the existence of a god.

Explain, please.

July 27, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • i wonder

mimi,

rdg18 would probably say it's because he/she prayed for you.

Jiminy Cricket would probably say it's because he wished upon a star for you.

Pat 'n Mike would probably say that you have the Luck of the Irish.

July 27, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Jen

Well, good for you. Definintely makes up for the millions of starving children in the world, who apparently don't deserve to eat as much as YOU do.

July 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
  5. Simon

The god rated by this poll is a man-made god, not a real one. The one created cannot judge (or rate) its creator. And if you know God, the one and only God, you also know that you don't judge Him. I am surprised that the fake god did so well, because the fake one does absolutely nothing.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Zeke2112

So children cannot judge their parents then? Careful, your insanity is showing.

July 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  6. JimT

Can we poll the same people about the Devil? How good of a job is he doing?

This is the dumbest thing ever! And here's the scary part: "according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina"

Nice...taxpayers money wasted yet again!

July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • urbanhippie

There are privately funded democratic and republican firms

July 27, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Jen

Actually, if you look at the Bible closely, you'll see that God killed WAY more people than Satan did.

July 27, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  7. Pak

Disregarding what the article is even about...they sampled .0002% of the US population and deemed that small sample size as the representation for the 311 million people in this country...wow. Gotta love these stupid polls.

July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Martin T

Well, we know that at LEAST ten percent of the population, probably MUCH MORE, don't even believe in god; it would seem your side would be happy that he at least is above 50%.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Herpaderp

Actually, from a statistical standpoint, a sample size of as little as 30 can be used to represent a large population.

Also, I hate the constant squabbling of God vs. Satan. Further proof that a two-party system does not work. FSM in 2012!

July 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  8. Foolishgames

I wonder what God's approval rating of us is at?

July 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Martin T

Fantasy's can't vote. So sorry.

July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • rdg18

We are soon to find out. His word says that he will soon destroy most of the human race. He said his people are only a small percentage of the world's population. He also says that those that say they believe in him and who do not keep his commandments will also be destroyed.

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Martin T

rdg, for over 2000 years Christians have been waiting for this so called "end of time" seems to me that it would become evident that it isn't going to happen. The world may end, but you can bet it won't be from "gods" hand. There simply isn't any more "evidence" of the existence of the Christian god than there is of the some other 2000 plus gods that have been around. They are all FAKES...

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  9. aaaaa

wish he would stop flip-flopping and take a strong position on the issues, everyone seems to have a different idea of what he wants

meh, I didn't vote for him anyways ... Cthulhu 2012

July 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  10. Amunaka

Ahhh...Jeeeeze..... a god favorability poll....

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  11. Jose

Actually, since the measure of a good job is that life still exists and clings to this dirtball so well, I would say that GOD has done a better job than we could ever hope for. You could say it's completely perfect. And if you want further proof, we may actually make it off this planet and spread to other worlds in the next few thousand years.

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  12. Son of God

I think you just need to believe in God. Everything will be alright after that.

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Martin T

Hey Jesus, LONG time no see. What's it been, like 2000 years? We could use some of your miracles about now. How about you raise the dead, say all those kids you let die in Norway. That'd be a good start.

July 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Kool Aid

Yeah! Raise the dead!!! I LOOOOVE! zombie movies! Would jump at the chance to be a part of a real-life zombie world!!! 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • derp

Doubletap!!

July 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • ge

I'd rather believe in Santa Claus.

Santa – Rewards good people, regardless of religion or lack there of.

God – Rewards only his flock. Everybody else can burn in Hell, regardless of how good they are.

July 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Frogist

@derp: I've got to get me a cricket bat.

July 27, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  13. MIke Prede

that's much more motivation to keep me going close to Him, not living under their misery......uaw, this people are so bitter and so sick that just don't waste a second to dump their emotional disturbance and hatred. And most of those morons, have all those emotional scars from someone that "doesn't exist' AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Kool Aid

Go easy dude...we don't need another shooter 😦

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Martin T

Hey Mike, can you spare a cup of empirical evidence for your god's existance? Just saying.....

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
    • derp

I guess salient points and punctuation were not part of the grand wizards plan for you.

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> ....the comments around here just show how infectious and stinky is the human nature.....

Another sane and rational argument.

> that's much more motivation to keep me going close to Him, not living under their misery......

Yeah, living without the thought of being able to live after you die, or having to confront reality must be miserable for people who can't intellectually handle it.

> uaw, this people are so bitter and so sick that just don't waste a second to dump their emotional disturbance and hatred.

You're the one with the emotional argument. We have the sane logical one remember?

> And most of those morons, have all those emotional scars from someone that "doesn't exist' AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Nope, it's the resentment that we have to deal with morons like you trying to make idioitic laws. 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  14. derp

Bigfoot is doing a crummy job too.

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Jeepers

I KNOW! You would think he could leave some hard evidence around or something.

July 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Kool Aid

I here Santa had to lay off a hundred elves and the there's also talk of a pink-slip coming for the Easter Bunny

July 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Frogist

Wait... what does Bigfoot do? I just thought he was another unemployed hippie-type who doesn't cut his hair, walks around barefoot, and lives in the woods. He needs to get a job before we rate his performance.

July 27, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Jen

I'm pretty sure that Bigfoot has a job endorsing beef jerky products.

July 27, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  15. thegmencc

LOL...I guess no one is immune to pundits nowadays! Guess God better hire a publicity firm stat or just cause the end of the world ahead of schedule 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  16. Kool Aid

The God most of you follow must be, as a matter of logical necessity, perfect. The God depcited in this survey is a far sight from perfect. Think about it...

July 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  17. TOdd

God’s job performance would get only a 25% from me.The tea party terrorist alone knock his score down 30%.

July 27, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  18. MIke Prede

Atheists are so pathetic..... not even all the Science showing the evidence of several different "layers" of universe, different dimensions can convince their brainwshed mind. Worse: atheists are people whose spirit is "dead", that is, under darkness and very close to his own ego, flesh, desires and all the rest human package. They are one more reason for the mockery and the dance of devil..... who cares about retarded polls like that? let's make a poll asking how good is the performance of a flying elefant...it makes more sense than this....lol

July 27, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Martin T

Mike, Mike, Mike... why so angry? We atheists don't hate god, we just don't think he exists, well except in the minds of maniacals like you and that guy who shot all those kids in Norway. Yeah, god's doing such a good job.. NOT!

Sorry my man, but your response is nothing short of expected, typical, and rather stale.

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • jim

At least most of us can write a sentence that makes sense, something that is clearly beyond you.

July 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • richunix

So you based his/her/it existence on what? A series of story’s that were no different than the GOD’S he replaced. Come to think of it Mike what is GOD’s name, considering the word GOD is 6th century Germanic.

Atheism is not a religion nor is it a belief.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Martin T

LOVE the way you think there, Rich!

July 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • Alright there...

People who stick there nose down at people for having people stick there nose down at them. It's a cycle that never ends...

I have a sense of faith, but actions makes one a good person, not just wishing. I'll surround myself with people who believe in rational morality, whether religious or not.

Everyone's an individual. Saying atheists are....etc... is absolutely unbelievably ignorant. Same goes for saying all people who believe in God are....etc... Many killers carry out crimes in Gods name. Some atheists do it because they lack empathy. Many atheists save people's lives on a daily basis, and certainly religious people perform many important benevolent services.

When we gonna learn regardless of anything that we're all on the same team here?

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Atheists are so pathetic..... not even all the Science showing the evidence of several different "layers" of universe, different dimensions can convince their brainwshed mind.

What does science show? Science has not proven anything except items in the natural world.

> Worse: atheists are people whose spirit is "dead", that is, under darkness and very close to his own ego, flesh, desires and all the rest human package.

This is what morons do. They claim that another person's position is wrong because of some fault. For your argument to be valid you'd have to prove a spirit/soul exists and then you'd have to prove that atheists don't have one. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to link me to the evidence of this.

> They are one more reason for the mockery and the dance of devil..... who cares about retarded polls like that? let's make a poll asking how good is the performance of a flying elefant...it makes more sense than this....lol

Is the devil more powerful then your God? If not, then God's plans cannot be impinged by Satan. Meaning if Satan is winning, or affecting people to sin, it's God's will. Chomp on that one.

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Steve

So a guy that sees all and knows all who threatens to have you tortured for an eternity with unimaginable cruelty if you don't approve of him, and folks STILL only give him a 52% rating. Nobody really believes in a god. Not even you really believe it.

There is no dancing devil or benevolent god. There is you, there is me, and there is the Christian mythology that cleaves us.

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  19. Neeneko

I thought God was fired for gross incompetence and replaced with Eris years ago?

July 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  20. JasonP

God's actually just a bad father. He had kids and then abandoned us.

July 27, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • Stacy

YOU abandoned Him.

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • TheTruth72

Right on Stacy!

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • SCAtheist

And I abandoned my fairy tale.

July 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> YOU abandoned Him.

Yes, the same way any sane child will abandon an abusive and evil father.

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Yes, the same way any sane child will abandon an abusive and evil father.

Rather, the same way a child would abandon a parent that has never actually been seen in his life and still supposes to control that childs life. 😀 It's even worse then I first said. I should stop trying to be nice.

July 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Martin T

Hey SCAtheist, I'm from SC originally. Kind of hard to break the whole god thing if you grew up in the Bible Belt, isnt' it? congrats!

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • shakinmyhead

Martin, as someone from Georgia who has recently stepped off of the evangelical train of ignorance, I've been amazed by how few people I can actually have a logical conversation with about how I came to my change of heart. Even though this actually came through reading the Word and comparing obvious errors with known facts of the universe (like how could there be light on days 1 through 3 when the sun wasn't hung until day 4, and since the sun wasn't present until day 4, how was the planet even suspended in space to begin with? Kepler's Law is proven fact and contradicts this account.) At any rate, people become inflamed by the least thing that challenges lifelong beliefs because it leads them to the conclusion that they've everything they've held to their whole life has been a lie, but if they're wrong about that, they're doomed to Hell, as they've always been told. (and where is that by the way? Is it in the inner core of the earth, which is solid or the outer core of magma? If hell is in the magma, why don't condemned souls spew out with volcanic eruptions?) They defend the inerrancy of the Bible even though the writers thought that the earth was a round disc that was immovable and set upon pillars that God would shake when he got angry. This comment will even so enrage some devout believers that I'll probably get lots of wretched responses, but I've read the Word and preached it for more than 20 years. I know what it says, and have come to the conclusion that it can't possibly be without error. Yeah, living here in the Bible belt means not having this conversation with almost anyone – ever. People can read the words right there in black and white and still not accept it as flawed.

July 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • LT

Heeey, Shakinmyhead, good to see you join the side of the sane .

Now, consider how life is for rational people who figure all this stuff out before age 10, then have to live with the rest of society. It's like being surrounded by delusional, irrational danger constantly.

It's only when you age and come to a greater understanding of why they behave this way (it's a bio-chemical addiction based on mechanisms of community security and the anxiety that comes from not understanding our own mortality/existence) that you learn to live with them.

July 27, 2011 at 7:13 pm |