home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. Julius

WHY?????

God has killed thousands of innocents this year with earthquakes and tsunamis...I suppose human beings still like their God bloodthirsty.

July 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • ObjectiveGuy

You make God sound like an assassin. What makes you think HE caused those disasters? Don't you think things can "just happen"?

July 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • some girl

@ Objective – oh yeah, things 'just happen'. If they're bad, there's no cause. If it's good, God did it.

July 27, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
  2. Scott

It IS hard to conceive of a human God. But then it is hard to conceive of an explosion or expansion of the universe resulting in this condition of existence. I think physical reality is the clothing of eternity. So we create our miseries and our symphonies and it's all the same to eternity. What else are we going to do, sit on a cloud and eat angel food cake forever? I don't think God, or eternity really cares about us, as in right now, because we are going to go on and on and on....I figure if I got here once, what is to stop popping up somewhere else in time? Oh, well, I know little!

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • David in Corpus

Who knows indeed? Your statement was very pretty though. I read it twice it amused me so in its' eloquence.
      Think about taking up writing, unless of course you have no imagination.

July 27, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  3. Lee

Waste of time... But how could anyone approve of an alleged all-powerful all-knowing being? If he knows of all the needless suffering and is powerful enough to stop it but chooses not to, then he is an accomplice, to which I strongly disapprove. That being said, all gods are imaginary.

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • ObjectiveGuy

Today must be "Atheists Post Free" day! How unfortunate for the rest of us who are actually capable of comprehending things that require a little thought and belief in something that is not actually sitting on the table in front of us.

July 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • slightlystooopid

Dood, you are so stooopid. You just admitted, all it is, is a BELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You just lost your own battle. And actually, to be an athiest, you have to see past your little for told lie, and belief. You have to understand science and evolution, how miniscule pieces of material cause an explosion to create space, which is VERY possible, and has practically been proven.

Think for yourself, your life will be alot better.

July 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Lee

Objectiveguy – you didn't answer my question – how could anyone approve of a deity that endorses atrocities on an enormous scale? Sounds to me like he isn't worth worshipping, even if he were real.

July 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  4. Chris

As if God cares about what people think

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  5. Andrew

BABABOOEY, BABABOOEY!!! That is my god.

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  6. MeatyPortion

Every time I think the standards for an article on CNN can't go any lower along comes an article like this one.

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • some girl

it's a doozy, isn't it?

July 27, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  7. ReligionIs4Dolts

52% approve of the way blind fate has performed. YAY!
    Yeah, nice job "god"! Next time try to not leave most humans with eyes that can't focus without man-made glasses, teeth that are crooked without the help of man-made braces, faces and bodies that are ugly as sin and more often than not irreparable with any man-made technologies. NOT TO MENTION all the other diseases, environmental dangers, parasites, poisonous plants and animals, microorganisms, etc. that can and do kill us. Great job!

July 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  8. Confused

I was sure the headline "Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance" was going to link me to an article on The Onion.

July 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  9. Chris

Seeing the headline was like hearing an automobile crash outside your house – you KNOW it's going to be terrible, yet somehow you can't stop yourself from going to take a look. This article lived up to my expectations . . .

July 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  10. slightlystooopid

WHATS A GOD?

Stop living in a brainwashed state people, its nature and science, god is an imagination that you poor people put all your trust into.

July 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  11. thedes1

Best blog in Britain.check it out USA!

July 27, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  12. BasedInReality

The fact that there was a poll on this subject is funny. No evidence of any sort of god doing anything ever that I know of and I've done decades of research. So how can an invisible, totally imaginery thing get any sort of rating? So silly.

July 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • ObjectiveGuy

Well, if YOU can't find any proof, after your "decades of research", then God truly must not exist! After all, He's only been around since the beginning of time and throughout the entire universe (that He created), and you've been doing "decades of research" right there in your 3' X 3' cubicle, alongside your trusty ChiaPet. With that kind of credibility, you've certainly convinced ME!!!

July 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • slightlystooopid

wow that guy is brainwashed.. you do understand that imaginative thinking of god has been around for decades? Not been proven, and your little book is all fake that some man wrote. I will say it has been the greatest lie to this day.

But keep living in your little cubicle of a head, don't worry, jesus will save you

LOL

July 27, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • David in Corpus

He is more convincing and makes more sense than you NON-objective guy.
      Go pray for fire, me and the normal people will be rubbing sticks together when our lighters run out of fluid.
      And NO, you and yours can not come sit at our fire with us, except the hot chicks and that one fat one who is chubby in all the right places, they can come hang at the fire with us.

July 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • vicki long

You poor, poor souls. He is not an it.There will come a time in the very near future, (probably before the debt issue is resolved)
      (just a little humor) "when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord."
      That includes everyone who does or does not believe that to be true.
      Perhaps your real concern should be not your rating of God, but His rating of you.

July 27, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • whaaaat

ObjectiveGuy, why so mad? Why so unobjective?

July 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Lee

Vickie – thanks for the thinly veiled threat of eternal torture. Maybe YOU should worry about what the (insert any god you don't believe in) thinks of you!

July 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Magic

vickie, ""when every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, that Jesus Christ is Lord."

Sounds more like the words of your egomaniacal "Satan" character...

July 27, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  13. Tim

This is so stupid

July 27, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  14. Tyler

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on CNN.

July 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • CosmoChick

how is this a reflection on CNN? isn't it rather a reflection on those who actually took the question seriously and chose to answer? CNN is just reporting that there is a portion of the population that humors such a question, actually wonders what rating their would give, and then gives an answer...

THAT is news... as in news as to really how silly people can get...

July 27, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  15. Sarah

This is poll was an incredible waste of time: if there is no God, then his "performance" is a moot point; if he exists, I don't think he cares about his approval rating.

July 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • News Flash

Of course It wouldn't care, the POINT is, what the people polled think about It. You can't really be THAT dumb.

July 27, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Sam A.

Your logic is admirable, Sarah! I totally agree.

July 27, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Bob Sanders

@NEWSFLASH: You can't really be THAT narrow minded? Part of the point of a poll is to give leaders a spot check on how they are doing. Then they can make adjustments, prepare for the future, etc. His reply was valid, your's rude.

July 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • whaaaat

News Flash, why you go around correcting people's posts and calling them dumb? Are you unhappy?

July 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Sam A.

I'd add to Sarah's logic, if he exists, you would need to worry about his ratings of you.

July 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  16. sean burns

Was this from the Onion?

July 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  17. Julie

I saw the headline to this article and thought "No. No I'm NOT even going to lok. It's too stupid."
    But I finally decided I should come and say so. I do not see WHAT further proof that the BElief section is the stupidest thing on CNN is needed. Theology truely IS, even this kind of mentally deficient theoplogy, the most useless and annoying and pathetic pseudoscience that has ever blighted the planet.
    With any luck, God will just undo those who disapprove of him. Her. It. All.
    Stupid.

July 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • CosmoChick

LOL. frustrating, isn't it?

...and yet here we both are... reading and commenting...

July 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • David in Corpus

I read these articles because I personally despise (I truly do despise) all religions.
      I like to be reminded that their are plenty of people out there who think like me and do not appreciate the wonderful things religions have brought us humans, you know like war, division, dominating power structures, etc.
      I also like to be reminded of how seemingly intelligent capable people can still believe in the equivalent of the tooth fairy because they are scared of dying and becoming nothing forever or don't want to be left out of their networking system.

July 27, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  18. Ken from FL

Only a bunch of Dems would come up with a poll idea like this, and only they would take it as having any meaning whatsoever.

July 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • CosmoChick

um, except it's not only democrats who answered... and it's a poll, they didn't give it meaning... many people actually cared to answer (as opposed to maybe you and i who would have declined given the stupidity of the question). it's those that answered that gave the question meaning.

July 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • some girl

This makes no sense. You're just going around applying your irrational political intolerance where it isn't even remotely relevant.

July 27, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  19. Brian

Reminds me of a comment Bertrand Russell made. He said "if there is a god he would have to be a fiend or a pervert. I am not going to worship a pervert."

July 27, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Stewie

Quiet, dog.

July 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • David in Corpus

All my life I have been so waiting to meet a woman who had a kid and remained a virgin, or a bush (a tree would do) who talked to me. I tend to avoid forest fires so that of course limits my options for conversing with burning plant matter. I was chased by a leprichaun once, but I was on acid at the time so that doesn't count (does it?).
      And why do I have to die to have a bunch of virgins at my disposal? Then again, I never had a virgin on earth either. All the chicks I have been with were..... rather well seasoned you might say. Man oh man, I so wish I was bugsht crazy enough to have such badazz hallucinations. I always had to go to a drug dealer to achieve that, gets expensive but I hear you have to pay at church too, so.........

July 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • some girl

David, the leprechaun totally counts.

July 27, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  20. truthtalker

The question is not do we approve of God, it will be does God approve of us.
    The answer is Jesus Christ. If we humble ourselves and confess we have no approval from God outside of his son Jesus, we will go to heaven. If we don't make that confession, we can be certain we won't receive God's approval. It's all or nothing: God's approval rating of us will be 100% with our belief in Christ's sacrifice on the cross. It will be 0% if we think we're too good for that gift of grace. 0% does not get us to heaven.

July 27, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • dave

Jesus Christ you're stupid!

July 27, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • MistahBurns

So your God is the one and only God, and if you don't profess or prove your faith in him you will go to hell....What I do not understand is what happens to all of the people in the world that have not been taught the word of "God" or have been taught that Jesus is their savior by no fault of their own, merely due to luck that they were born somewhere remote on this planet. Wow sucks to be them

July 27, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • truthtalker

big dave,
      for your sake, please do not use the name of the Lord in vain.

July 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • truthtalker

mistahburns,
      scripture tells us that God will reveal himself to all who earnestly seek him.
      Have you earnestly sought God?

July 27, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • MistahBurns

How can you eanrestly seek something you have no clue about. What about indigenous people throughout the world with little to no contact to the outside world. They have never heard of your god by no fault of their own, oh well sucks to be them then I guess, we'll be partying it up with Satan

July 27, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • J.W

God would not send someone to hell who had not heard of him.

July 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • MistahBurns

Makes sense they get to go to heaven by default, while you have to lead a pious life. Wow the more I think about it, the more God makes sense, I think I might go earnestly seek him

July 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • logikflux

If the answer is God or Jesus Christ, I want a better question.

July 27, 2011 at 11:07 pm |