home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. autiger9

LMAO Thank god I'm athiest. Does anyone else see a problem with this statement!?

July 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  2. Keri

What IS god's performance exactly? Well, only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job "performance".By the way I'm an atheist, we don't hate god, we just don't believe in a god.

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • VegasRage

It seems God fairs no better than the politicians

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  3. Mitch

So, is your God a God of retribution or a God of forgiveness?

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  4. Cameblue

Whats next? Poll the performance of Santa? How about that darn Easter bunny! Its all such a waste of time, I was just watching the Jesus home shopping network, those people are racking in the doe! The price of a communion frame could feed about ten American children.

I surely hope the world could grow up enough to stop believing in fairy tales and campfire stories, we have bigger fish to fry. Open your eyes. The most problematic countries are the ones with the most fanatical belief structures. The more advanced, and richer countries have simply removed the hocus pocus from their bibles when the general public became to intelligent to except such fantasy. ! How can you be so foolish. The church was the government before that infrastructure took hold. Does no one read a freaking book?

Its all right there, for you to find. Just open your eyes. Stop bleeding for imaginary beings.

July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • BL

Don't be dissin' Santa!!

July 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. dave

As the pollster stood outside a "United States Free-Thinkers Society" meeting and asking the 23 people that were leaving.

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  6. FrancoM

It's sad that people actually blame god for everything that is going on in the world. I am by no means a Bible banger, but i do believe in a higher power and I do know that we have made our own problems in this world. We are greedy, we start wars, we make children and don't care for them and we generally don't give a damn about anything or anybody. Don't believe me, just look at what is going on in DC today. Human nature at its worst

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • StraightsDs

By definition, the only people that blame God are his so-called believers.
      The rest of us do not place any blame on something we feel does not exist.

July 27, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
  7. Steve

Free will. It's not that you can't be forgiven, "ask and ye shall receive," however you still have to live with the consequences.

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  8. JustASmallVoice

And who paid for this poll? It better not be the tax payers!

July 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  9. Rod C. Venger

It seems that God is getting higher marks than Obama. Doesn't that tell you something? God actually seeks social justice. You people merely mouth the words and then blast anyone that disagrees with you.

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Steve

Bohner doesn't even rate wtih God so shadddup

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
  10. What?

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqKb5ViN_Q&w=640&h=360]

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  11. Jared

How can you approve or disapprove of God? He just is. lol, I want to know why God creates people who create things such as these polls.

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Fran

Couldn't agree more

July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Charge Nurse Betty

Why indeed ?

July 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  12. JoeMahma

Where is God? Show me.

July 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Jared

Then you will never see.

July 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Fran

Just look around you

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • derp

"Just look around you"

Hmm, so you are saying god is my keyboard?

July 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • look up

"God" in its original form – the one before all the characterization and fantasy stories, is that big blinding light in the sky – our Sun. It heats up this planet enough to allow for the creation and sustainability of life. That's why we call it "The Creator". In that sense each solar system has its own "God", even if its planets don't support life.

Now you know what and where "God" is 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • BL

Look in the mrror

July 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  13. Chris

Is this for real? Come on people, this is the 21st century for Christ's sake. Are we really that backwards? I stopped believing fairy tales decades ago.

July 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Denise Meally

Ironic that you would use the phrase "for Christ's sake"....

July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Daniel

How ironic, you invoke the name of Christ to shame us into not believing in, ... um, CHRIST!

July 27, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Daniel

BTW, Chris, do you know what your first name means? Just a thought ...

July 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Chris

Yes I do Daniel, because, you know, I chose my name at birth. /facepalm

July 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • Zeke2112

Still laughing at the responders who didn't get your joke, Chris.

July 27, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  14. Bill

In other news, the tooth faerie has a 75% job approval rating.

July 27, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  15. Wally624

Just another worthless poll intended to do nothing more than to get people to fight amongest themselves. Much the same type of questions as CNN's "Quick Vote".

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  16. Pastor Evans

Absolute ignorance!!! God is always more than 100% on top of His job, praise Him for this!!! People are the ones who do not live up to His desires and expectations!!! People don't blame God for your spiritual ignorance, choice of rebellion, and willful disobedience!!!

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Jimbo

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! Praise Jesus with exclamation points!!!!!!

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • citizenUSA

Why not? He gave us the ability to be spiritually ignorant, rebellious, and disobedient.

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • stejo

How can anyone be more than 100%? Oh yeah, I guess He invented math, so He can change the rules.

July 27, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Darren

god does not exist

July 27, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • derp

"God is always more than 100% on top of His job"

Of course he is. When he screws up, he just tells you "it's part of my plan". That way he can never ever make a mistake.

I wish that would work for me. "Yes officer, I realize that I just totaled three cars cars while driving drunk. It's ok, it's part of my plan."

July 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
  17. J.W

This would be like Obama vs the republicans. Even if God isnt doing a good job there is no one to run against him.

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Frogist

Oh harsh J Dub. But funny. LOL!

July 27, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  18. jenF

I didn't know that God cared if we polled him.... wait... are we talking about God, like the Heavenly Father one? Or Obama....?

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
  19. SCAtheist

Hi I'm God. I decided to create a world where I fry everybody forever that doesan't believe in me. I love that part the best. But remember I love you all!

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • citizenUSA

"Yeah but it's a dry heat".

July 27, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • dave

Sounds pretty easy to me, if you don't want to fry then believe in God.....
      And he don't "love you all", some of you he loaths.

July 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Jimbo

Dave, some of us critically think and analyze therefore making it impossible for us to believe in only a story book....sorry we can't help it. You can't just start believing in something and turn your brain off.

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Jimbo

So maybe God is failing at convincing me that he is real.

July 27, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • derp

"Yeah but it's a dry heat"

Warm beer is better than no beer.

July 27, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • StraightsDs

Hmmm, so its either fry or live in the land of Milk and Honey where the streets are paved with gold?
      Well, im lactose intolerant and allergic to honey. Gold gives me a rash too. Will I get to wear sandals so my feet dont swell? Do they have non-lactose versions of this milk? And what about the honey – can I just skip it altogether?
      Will i be conscience and understand things? Like the fact that others I love may not be there? Wow... this may suck.

As of right now, im not sure which is better.

July 27, 2011 at 6:00 pm |
  20. citizenUSA

The mere fact that some people answered this question in some way makes "god" seem irrelevant. A true believer is not supposed to question "god's" plan or actions. If one perceives a lack of action to be a part "god's" plan but you question it, it shows you have doubts. Thank god I'm an athiest.

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 pm |