home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. Iceman

@Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics
    You make a good point: "I wish people would clarify which god they are talking about and believing in. There are so many. Please be kind and clarify."

1 John 3:10,11 "The children of God and the children of the Devil are evident by this fact: Everyone who does not carry on righteousness does not originate with God, neither does he who does not love his brother. 11 For this is the message which YOU have heard from [the] beginning, that we should have love for one another; 12 not like Cain, who originated with the wicked one and slaughtered his brother. And for the sake of what did he slaughter him? Because his own works were wicked, but those of his brother [were] righteous."

1 John 4:20 "If anyone makes the statement: “I love God,” and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar. For he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot be loving God, whom he has not seen. 21 And this commandment we have from him, that the one who loves God should be loving his brother also."

Any religion that does not promote peace with one's neighbor shows which God they are worshiping. Your quest should be very easy now. =) However, many want to and do worship the "God of Love". 1 John 4:8; Ephesians 5:1

July 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • What the

Is this the same God of Love that drowned everyone?

July 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Martin T

I think I would love to debate with you sometime. You seem to at least have some knowlege of the Bible and you are not one of those "hate the atheists" types who do little more than bash us without even trying to hear us. We do not hate god or religion, we just don't believe in any gods or any religions.

July 27, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • some girl

@ Martin – did you miss the 'Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics' part of the post? I don't think debate would go well, here. Not rational debate, anyway.

July 27, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • Free

Iceman
      Are you saying that the devil is a god? I thought he was just God's patsy. By 'which god' I think he had in mind such rivals for human affection, worship and fear like Zeus, Thor, Baal, Venus, Vishnu, Quetzalcoatl, YHWH, Ishtar, Isis, and such.

July 27, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  2. us1776

Obama trails God by a mere 7% !!

God: 52%
    Obama: 45%

July 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  3. mindy King

wonder how many of us would get a positive approval rating from God on the way we are living?

July 27, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • thisguy

None because he is imaginary.

July 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • oneone

Not many. According to the bible, God sends most people to hell to be tortured for all eternity.

July 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  4. Chris

I hate Christians so much.....same with the Muslims and every other group that thinks their better or knows something thats never been proven....you are WRONG and ruining this world. Just stop with your childish BS.

July 27, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • Brandon

You are an idiot!

July 27, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Traysea73

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one. – A. Dumas

July 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • some girl

Dude, shame on the hate. Also, your name is Chris?? Better change it – it has its roots in Christianity...

July 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  5. Bazoing

Jerks!

July 27, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  6. cyberCMDR

I'm sure Santa Claus (or Harry Potter!) would poll better, and the poll would be just as meaningful.

July 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

There is more evidence for both of those fictional characters than there is of "god".

July 27, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  7. HumptyDumpty

Where is the poll for the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, and the Tooth Fairy

July 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  8. oneone

Help the unsaved sinners understand that by judging and condemning them we are trying to save them from God’s vicious & diabolical wrath, of which they deserve, and we approve, as long as they refuse to believe what we believe. Amen.

July 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Chris

Funny, the first paragraph is a prefect example 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • Rooz

lol, I would rephrase one part though:

"...we are trying to save them from God’s vicious & diabolical wrath, of which they deserve, and we approve, because He loves them,...."

July 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • Chris

@ Oneone: With all respect not due, drink bleach.

July 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Free

Poe's Law in action, I assume!

July 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • mariechula

you also are wrong. jesus died on the cross to give us a choice we are not badgered or forced to accept. he tells us to witness to nonbelievers not to follow them around and persecute them or to judge or avenge. he said vengance is mine he also says if they will not hear or accept to shake the dust off our feet do not bid them god's speed and turn away from them. we can pray that god will soften their heart and that he will open their understanding but in the end its their choice. i am so glad i made my choice jesus along time ago.

July 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Martin T

July 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • What the

"you also are wrong. jesus died on the cross to give us a choice "

Prove it.

July 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • some girl

Comedy gold!

July 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Got2betrue

@Martin T
      "Wow, what a typical, arrogant statement by a Christian. Your response to debate about God is to attack anyone who isn't like you. My guess is you don't have much of an education, you have never truly read the bible, meaning understanding what you have read, and you think that only folks like you have any worth on this rock."

That was not an attack. It was a defense. Most of the people posting "hate" are the ones who are attacking those who obviously believe in God. Because God is under attack, we feel like we have to defend Him sometimes. But he is right, sometimes we should just dust off our feet and move on because in the end He doesn't need us to defend Him.

July 27, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
    • Martin T

You know what's funny, when Christians ask atheists to "prove" there is no god. To me that's like asking me to prove that nothing exists. Jesus was probably nothing more than a pretty decent rabbi, if that. He certainly never did any miracles, wasn't born of a virgin (That was taken from an earlier Egyptian god-myth, Horus) and there is NO evidence that he was ever crucified. The Romans were GREAT historians and NOT ONE first century historian wrote about a man who could walk on water, raise the dead, heal the sick, etc. One would think that would be worthy of a little attention by the Roman leadership.

July 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Martin T

Hey got to be true, why do you even feel the need to defend your god? Isn't he all powerful and such? I don't get the hatred part either, I assure you of that. I don't hate Christians, even though I do think that many are fanatical and unable to debate without anger and name-calling. I actually seek out Christians who will debate with me, I want to understand why and how they attain their "faith" and why when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary, they continue to defend the indefensible.

July 27, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Martin T

"Dear god, I pray for you to bring harmony between Christians and atheists. Help me understand why godless trash, who deserve to burn in hell, are offended by those of us who are holy, pious, and obviously god’s favorite people. "

Sorry but that is an attack against Atheists. Calling us godless trash who deserve to burn in hell, is offensive to some, I'm sure. As for me, I'm actually amused by the statement, as a psychologist, I continue to be intrigued by the mindset of some Christians. MOST Christians don't even know what is written in the bible, can't defend their beliefs, have no historical knowledge of Christianity, and simply go on "faith" that they picked up as children in Sunday School. Why do people not seek to grow?

July 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
  9. gogogopher

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSXJzybEeJM&w=560&h=349]

July 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  10. What the

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

THIS IS ON A MAJOR NEWS MEDIA WEBSITE.

THIS IS AMERICAN JOURNALISM.

July 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • some girl

Chill, homes. It's a fluff piece in the belief section.

July 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
  11. Katherine

Dear Heavenly Father, I ask you for your mercy on this country and for your guidance. Please let us not continue down this path to complete moral depravity and instead turn to You and follow Your ways. We need You, despite our arrogance and ignorance. Thank you for all you have blessed this country with and the grace you continually show us.

July 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Erm

I don't think god reads CNN.
      Also, I think you're wrong on all counts.

July 27, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • What the

5 When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites who love to pray publicly on street corners and in the synagogues where everyone can see them. I tell you the truth, that is all the reward they will ever get. 6 But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you.

Matthew 6:5-6

July 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Chris

"complete moral depravity and instead"
      The man sends people to a place where they are tortured for eternity....yet I wouldn't do it to my worst enemy....who's more moral.

July 27, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • Chris

This is why I hate you....this is why WE hate you....this is what your WRONG.....this is why your DELUSIONAL

July 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Got2betrue

@What the

Bro, seriously... it was just a prayer. Quit trying to make it seem like she was pumping herself up. You don't even know who she is. You don't know what she looks like or if her name is really Katherine. With that being said, this verse does not apply. God will honor her prayer as He is the only one who truly knows her and her heart.

July 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Erm

Yes, exactly!

July 27, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Erm

To clarify...I was agreeing with What The

July 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • What the

@Got2betrue

God will not honor her prayer because god isn't real. Stop believing in magic.

July 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Free

Katherine
      Superst.itious that God might fly into a rage because of this story, and act rashly, possibly causing collateral damage to you personally? A lot of believers seem to be praying out of fear. If God causes this kind of reaction is it any wonder that he got such a poor approval rating?

July 27, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • K

You mean 'Dear Heavenly Mother'

July 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  12. rcw

"Woe to the one who quarrels with his Maker– An earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, 'What are you doing?' Or the thing you are making say, 'He has no hands'? Woe to him who says to a father, 'What are you begetting?' Or to a woman, 'To what are you giving birth?'" Thus says the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, and his Maker: "Ask Me about the things to come concerning My sons, And you shall commit to Me the work of My hands. It is I who made the earth, and created man upon it. I stretched out the heavens with My hands, And I ordained all their host." – Isaiah 45:9-12

July 27, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • Erm

Who are you talking to? Why are you quoting scripture at us?

July 27, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Chris

You're completely delusional.

July 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

"I cannot think, therefore I blather"

July 27, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Got2betrue

Na man, keep it up rcw. I'm glad you stand up for Christ! Romans 14:11 “‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’”

We need to reach out to everyone. A lot of people who mock God will make His best followers and will love like He loves. But we have to keep letting them know that He is.

July 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

My Mom and I got along rather well. We very rarely argued, and in fact, I considered her one of my best friends. I assume that's who you were talking about, since my mother made me (with a donation from Dad).

July 28, 2011 at 2:07 am |
    • Fred1

In that case god must not be all loving

July 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  13. Got2betrue

Got2betrue

19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

22 “He committed no sin,
    and no deceit was found in his mouth.”[e]

23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. 24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:19-24

Interesting how this sample of scripture infers that even those who are inocent or good suffer and endure and that it is "commendable before God". So yes, people will suffer in this world, but God sees the suffering and will reward those who endure. Please do not assume that this means he causes suffering or that God takes pleasure in suffering.

July 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • Erm

Are you sermonizing? This isn't church. This is CNN.

July 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

You are mindless.

July 27, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Got2betrue

Sorry Ern, I was just posting this in reference to some people saying that God some how gets pleasure from seeing innocent babies suffer through disease or horrific deaths, cancer etc.

July 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Fred1

That's like tourturing some one and telling them it's ok because your going to give them a really nice car when you done

July 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  14. martini paul

Thank you CNN! What a great opportunity to witness! 'Whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die -' Beware you atheists! I have seen Christ completely turn around the lives of obscene, atheistic criminals. Men who bitterly, obscenely denounced Him. If God wants you, He'll get you! I ask God to bless every atheist on this planet. You guys make me explore and deepen my faith. Thank you! And may God have mercy on us all!

July 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • secularbear

^^^^^^^ Kookiest Christian on CNN right above ^^^^^^^

July 27, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • Gatekeeper

To all of you religious people on here, if you send me all of your money I guarantee that I will make sure you get to heaven. Please contact me and I'll give you my Paypal account number.

July 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Trent

Any sensible person relies on actual evidence to support what he or she believes in. There is no evidence of an all-powerful supreme being that created and controls the universe. Science has disproven a significant chunk of the bible. Simple common sense disproves the remainder. Religion, even "God," is a man-made construct meant to give hope to those who have none, to keep people in line with some sort attempt at a moral code which has been abused senselessly for thousands of years, and to justify the actions of madmen and their despotic rules.

I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers.

July 27, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Erm

Right...I'm sure CNN posted that just so you could try to shove your religion down our throats. Don't pray for me. PLEASE. It's the height of arrogance.
      My spiritual beliefs or lack thereof are none of your business.

July 27, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
    • martini paul

Seems to me I have to right to pray for whoever I want to pray for. Or are you going to take that right away from me too?
      ERM - you just made to the top of my list.

July 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

You useless moron. Praying is for Mantes.

July 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • martini paul

Gatekeeper: Don't have money but will send Bible.

July 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Got2betrue

ERM wow! You are so bitter. And no one is shoving anything down "your throat". You post, others post. Right? I mean, it's CNN, right?

July 27, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • some girl

Haven't really seen him do much to turn around the lives of the obscene religious criminals, though. Are they just supposed to spin in place?

July 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Free

martini paul
      "And may God have mercy on us all!"
      You may think that speaks of God's affection for people, but if someone were to beg a human ruler for mercy we would suspect that he was being oppressed by some tyrant, right? So, what you are really asking is for God to please not hurt us, which implies that you believe that he is inclined to. ... Yet, he 'loves' us?!? How very odd!

July 27, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Fred1

If god wants to present me with overdue obligations in person, fine by me. I’d love to see some proof. It’s when disreputable free lance third party collection agents like you and your church try to collect on obligations that you say I have to your invisible sky fairy that I become offended.

July 30, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  15. oneone

No one knows how the world came about.
    To say God did it, leaves no doubt.
    (That is except how god came about).
    About so many things, we used to wonder.
    Evil spirits caused disease, and Thor caused thunder.
    With science and facts we understand reality.
    No more magic or absurdity, from the ONE god, or is it THREE ?

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  16. secularbear

George Carlin – [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEs2nj7iZM&w=640&h=390]

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Mister Jones

Thank you for that! 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
  17. Harry Houser

Funny to hear that considering 46% think most in Congress are corrupt

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  18. hateyourgut

are you serious?

July 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  19. andy666

Yes indeed, just another reason Baal is the greatest !! Praise be to Baal, so say we all (all 52% at least) !!

July 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • some girl

No way, Baal is so 1999.

July 27, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
  20. Randy

Polling of God's job performance...

CNN – honestly – you put this on the front page of your website?

July 27, 2011 at 6:15 pm |