home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. What the athiest say

First dentistry was painless.
    Then bicycles were chainless,
    Carriages were horseless,
    And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
    Telegraphy was wireless,
    Cigars were nicotineless,
    And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
    The putting green was weedless,
    The college boy was hatless,
    The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
    The latest steel is rustless,
    Our tennis courts are sodless,
    Our new religion — godless.

July 27, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
    • baffling

Then who is our Moral law giver?

July 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • tallulah13

Was that supposed to be witty? Or even make sense?

July 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
  2. linda kerr

I trust GOD, and His plan for all mankind.

July 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Martin T

How do you know that god has a plan? Seriously, where is this plan, what does it say, who wrote the plan? Come on Linda, you have faith and that is based on NOTHING. Now, if it makes you all warm and fuzzy, then that's cool, but if you put yourself out there on one of these sites, you are asking to have your faith questioned.

July 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Faith

c'mmon @Martin T, am sure you have planned ahead for the next week, isn't it not based on faith? it is just that you have faith for the rest of your lives. Just like you have faith for this life, believers have faith in 'Eternal' life.Without Faith neither of us can survive....

July 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Martin T

Faith, that's interesting in that you are trying to compare MY plans for next week to God's plan for eternity. Are you inferring that God only plans a week in advance? Here is a being that is suposed to know all, see all, even to the point of knowing when a gnat dies. I agree that I have faith, but not faith in religion. I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, that the laws of physics will prevail, I have faith in my love for my wife and her's for me; what I do not have "faith" in a mythical being who does nothing because he is MYTHICAL. I agree it does take a HUGE leap of faith to believe in god, HUGE!

July 28, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • Fred1

Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division; for henceforth in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three; they will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against her mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against his mother-in-law." Luke 12:51-53

July 30, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  3. linda kerr

God does exist and always was. (FATHER-SON-HOLY SPIRIT). Does GOD care YES, HE LOVES EVERYONE (all races) the same. HE commands us to love one another, not kill each other. 2 Chronicles 7:14 ; "If My people who are called by My Name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
    Galatians 3:13-14 " CHRIST has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree") That the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in CHRIST JESUS, that we might receive the promise of the Sprit through faith."
    Genesis 12: 1-3 Now the Lord had said to Abram: "Get out of your country, from you family and from your father's house, To a land that I will show you I will make you a great nation; I will bless you And make your name great; and you shall be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you: And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed."
    This is how it works, read the other part of Galatians 3:15-29 Brethren, I speak in the manner of men: Though it is only a man's covenant, yet if it is confirmed, no one annuls or adds to it. Now to Abraham and hes Seed were the promises made. He does not say, And to seeds, as of many, but as of one, And to your Seed, who is Christ. And this I say, that the law, which was four hundred and thirity years later, cannot annul the covenant that was confirmed fefore by God In Christ, that it should make the promise of no effect. For if the inheritance is of the law it is no longer of promise; but God gave it to Abraham by promise. What purpose then does the law serve? It was added because of transgressions, till the Seed should come to whom the promise was made: and it was appointed through angels by the hand of a mediator. Now a mediator does not mediate for one only, but God is one. Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not ! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteouness would have been by the law. But the Scripture has confined all under sin, that the promise by faith in JESUS CHRIST might be given to those who believe. But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to CHRIST, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. For you are all sons of God through faith in CHRIST JESUS. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on CHRIST. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, ther is neither male nor female; for you are all one in CHRIST JESUS. And if you are CHRIST'S, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promis."

I hope this will help you to trust GOD and Pray for GOD will hear you,

Romans 10:9-113 " That if you confess with your mouth the LORD JESUS and believe in your heart that GOD has raised HIM from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on HIM will not be put to shame." For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same LORD over all is rich to all who call upon HIM. For "whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved."
    All of the word are out of the New King James Version of the BIBLE.

July 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • frank

Utter nonsense.

July 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Cool

@lindakerr-Great Post!!!,

July 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • Sue

Nope, linda, you copying and pasting all that same old bullsh!t with no evidence didn't help your cause a bit. It's still obvious that your god doesn't exist, and you're still stupid.

July 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm |
    • Martin T

You are doing nothing but regurgitating what you basically have been force fed since childhood. Your faith is based on well, faith, not on seeking the truth. Christianity is based on blind obedience to god, to the church, to the faith. This post is just the same old same old, and that's lame.

July 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • tallulah13

Linda: How about some actual proof?

July 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
  4. St.Peter

This just in: God's thinks that 80% of mankind is doing a crappy job. He would like everyone to start bringing their A game or else. That is all.

July 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  5. Mickey1313

hay there, I am floored that YHVH can get a 52%, since it is obvously all crap, it shoulf be closer to 10%, it just goes to show how stupid humans are.

July 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  6. Neitzche

Atheist-Do u belong to the existentialists club?

July 27, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
    • Martin T

As an atheist, I don't belong to any clubs. I do not ascribe to any religion or any social organization that touts any belief system of any kind. I simply do not believe in a god, any god or gods. I believe that we live one life, we die, we rot, and perhaps someone will remember us when we are gone, not that it will matter much.

July 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Cool

A cool post at Youtube:
      Ravi Zacharias Answers Atheists

July 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • tallulah13

I'm an atheist, too, and I don't belong to any clubs. I did sign up for the "All Things Zahi Hawass" group on facebook, though.

July 27, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  7. Joachan Veek

When you retire tonight, take a minute and reflect on the complexity of the human body. Who dare you insult God. Your so called scientist were put here by his almighty power. He provided food, water, air before you set foot on ths planet, which your scientist have not figureed out how we got here. No scientist, repeat no scientsit can even make something as simple as an apple from nothing much more all the food you consume all day and have the energy to rant against God. He is not a baby sitter God. He has given you all you need for survival untill you return to clay. The last time I checked both the I-phone and Microsoft Operating system evolved from nothing according to the theory of evolution-no intelligence behind their appearance on the world stage. The internet also evolved about 20 years ago, no intelligence needed. The F-22 just evolved from a scrap of metals hiding in Earth's belly for millions of years. You evolutionist nedd a serous mental observation.

July 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • frank

U R an idiot.

July 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • some girl

Faulty logic is faulty.

July 27, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • oneone

Right on ! I especially appreciate God's extra special intelligent designs like typhus, cholera, the black plague, birth defects, mental illness, cancer, earthquakes, tsunamis, etc. etc.

July 27, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
    • snow

Well oneone, don't you know – God gives all those "gifts" because God loves you!

July 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Magic

Joachan,

Non-living things do not evolve. They might change - such as a rock being eroded into sand, etc. Come back when you have found out the facts about the theory of evolution.

July 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • oneone

Snow, and of course God's ultimate achievment in "intelligent design" is the creation of Satan to torment us and hell, a place for eternal torture just for us !

July 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • Mickey1313

why would anyone smart enough to know that god is a myth, care what any thiest says. YOU ARE STUPID!

July 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Martin T

You mean reflect on the terrible construction of the human body? OK, well let's see we have teeth that rot, limbs that do not regrow, we have aweful eyesight, and because evolution or god gave us the ability to walk upright, our females are required to give birth in a most un-natural way. That alone, the birth process, is enough to let us know that god is a TERRIBLE engineer of the human body.

July 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
  8. Traysea73

I find it so curious that those who are so adamant that God is not real don't just ignore these stories and move on to other things. I know He and His love are real. The changed life and inner peace I enjoy is proof. God loves all, even those who poke fun, deny or insult Him. That's real love.

July 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm |
    • martini paul

IGood post. I can't figure it out either. If they think we are all morons and idiots and that it's all a myth why would they be so upset? After all, they obviously think they are superior so why would they want to lose their 'advantages' over the average stupid Christian? Why do they proselytize so passionately? I think it's because the very concept of God, any god, offends them. Why? Ego?

July 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Mickey1313

Because it makes me crazy to know that a pay a ton in taxes, and still the education system can still produce people who believe in things that were proven false a long long time ago. You do know the "word of god" claims the earth is only 6000 years old right? not the 4.5 billion that it realy is. Thiests are foolish, and i come here to remind myself that most of the world is useless and should laughted at.

July 27, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Sue

It's because people with your stupid old-man-in-the-sky beliefs affect our laws and how our society operates. You don't keep your religion in a vacuum, although you should.

Understand that yet, you stupid sh!t? We aren't going away.

July 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Martin T

We stop and read these and reply to them mainly because we know how aweful religion is in the world today and in past times. We hope to dispell the myth and set the world on the right path, the path to education and reason. Oh, and because it's so darn fun to rile up you faith-heads. Sorry, but it's true.

July 27, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Martin T

martini, you are correct the "concept" of god does offend me, mainly because of all the wrong that has been and is still being done in the name of a god, insert the name here. Like some of the others who have responded, we "atheists" have to live in this world with all the crazies who believe. We get frustrated with the facts that religious nuts don't want to understand or seek the truth. We care because while congress debates issues like abortion, millions of children across the States are hungry, homeless, and without adequate healthcare. How's that for a start?

July 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • martini paul

Martin T: But you're not riling me up. This is a marvelous opportunity to witness. I have nothing against atheists. Why should I, I was one myself. Every man, woman, and child on earth can be converted. What I have against most of the atheist posts is that they are so shallow.I know that I'm a moron but, throw some good existentialist arguements at me. Be very glad to go toe to toe with you on the consequences of Sartre's examination of reflective consciousness. I'm not going to call you names because once I was lost - What do you have against faith? What exactly is wrong with a religion that says love God and love your neighbor? Why do you desire to destroy something that gives so much hope to people who have none? Try reading some Dewey or even Marx. Religion is the opiate of the people? Yes, but he understood that people who are impoverished and exploited need an opiate. Did he not want to replace religion with a materialistic methodone? What do you offer besides angry scarcasm? You yourself have faith. You believe that doing away with God and religion and basing society on science is going to 'create' some sort of uptopia. Where's your evidence for that? Soviet Union? Communist China? Pol Pot? The fact is that you are witnessing the creation of a new religion - secular humanism. Bu twhat makes you think that a secular, scientifically ordered society is going to have any room for you?
      I did scientific research for a major international corporation and to be blunt, phenotypically you're going to be in the same boat as true Christians. Take my word for it-you don't want the scientists running this country. God bless.

July 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  9. Phil The Engineer

God must be rolling over is his grave.......

July 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • LinCA

Her grave Phil, her grave.

God was a muslim and an illegal immigrant from Ethiopia. She was a lesbian in a wheelchair, attending a peaceful rally for equal rights when she got shot by a police officer "in self-defense".

July 27, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Iloveevolution

God? What God? There is no proof of God! To prove it I am creating a self aware, independent, loving, hating, makes beautiful art, but at the same time can destroy just about anything...human being in my backyard! I have some dirt (which came from nowhere...just was there) and water (also came from nowhere..just was there) and now I am going to wait about 3 billion years for it to evolve into a human (you know it has to cook for a while. and then go through all the 'missing link' phase. Which we haven't found but...whatever)!! Just you wait! It will happen!!

July 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  11. Linda5

This is too funny. We turn our backs on God; mock Him; remove Him from our schools, workplaces and government; try to get along in the world without Him, and then wonder why He withholds His blessings? I wonder why things aren't a lot worse than they are.

July 27, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Martin T

How does one turn one's back on something that does not exist?

July 27, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • gin

The only funny thing is that there are still idiots out there who believe some guy who looks like my dad is sitting "somewhere" up there controlling everything! Please people, use the brains that evolution has given us!

July 27, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • Mickey1313

why would an all powerful, all knowing, and all loveing being NEED to be worshiped. And why would said being alow the pain and suffering? I will tell you, because nothing is all knowing,powerful, and loveing, it is a myth, the same as the iliad.

July 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Sue

Right on, Mickey.

Hey, Linda, so is your god angry and vindictive then? Sounds like a real as-shole. You can keep him.

July 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Fred1

Interesting. In the last 200 years more and more society has been turning its back on religion and things have been getting better and better. So if your god exists, it seem he likes being ignored and is rewarding us for turning away

July 30, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  12. waterman

"If God is willing to prevent evil, but is not able to
    Then He is not omnipotent.

If He is able, but not willing
    Then He is malevolent.

If He is both able and willing
    Then whence cometh evil?

If He is neither able nor willing
    Then why call Him God?"

– Epicurus

July 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Martin T

High Fives all around!!

July 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • Mickey1313

Because if i belive in his brand of hate, i will go to heaven, that is a silly question. LOL

July 27, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  13. sheetiron

100 % of people should be asked what makes them think as mere carbon units living on a little rock orbiting an insignifcant star on the outskirts of a single galaxy that they can approve or disapprove the designer of the cosmos performance? Just when I thought the human race couldnt get any more arrogant.

July 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • some girl

Better yet, how can silly little creatures like us do anything in our short lives that deserves either eternal reward at the foot of a God, or eternal damnation in a pit? I really don't think we're cool enough either way. Seems like we've been giving ourselves too much credit as a species.

July 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Mickey1313

Absence of evidance is not evidance of absence,
      however absence of evidance where evidance should be abundant
      is evidance of absence.

July 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
    • Chicken Little

mickey1313
      pssstt...evidEnce

July 27, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  14. Party

Who gonna be in Satan's party tonight? cos he is dancing...and is looking for the atheists to join him...party along people...have fun...
    Satan's approval rating based on the atheist posts 110%

July 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

It is not surprising that your math skills are deficient.

July 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Ratios

Mortals take 1:1 ratio, Atheists are superior beings and their grey matter goes by the ratio 1:1.1

July 27, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • Sue

Party, news for you: there isn't a satan. No tooth fairy either. Not even a nasty old god in the sky waiting to torture you forever if you don't believe he exists. So get on with your life.

July 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Mickey1313

hate to break it to you, but a lack of a belief in gos, IS ALSO A LACK OF BELIEF IN SATAN. And if some gayass fallenangel thinks he can take me, IVE BEEN CALLING FOR A FIGHT FOR 30 YEARS.

July 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • Sue

Mickey over Satan by a knockout. Well, OK, win by default since the other guy can't show up.

July 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  15. waterman

Hilarious.

July 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
  16. Jimbob

How odd that CNN *the most liberal news network I know* would constantly put up articles like this.....Its as odd as atheist *dont believe in god* always commenting on articles about god or them suing over a cross made from 9/11 steel. I mean if u dont believe in god, then it shouldnt matter right? ....

July 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

Well, it sure seems to matter to faithers that an atheist does not believe their silly book of lies.

July 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • oneone

Actually it does matter. Many people don't want to be smacked in the face with idols of other people's religious fantasys. What is the purpose of displaying your religious idols in public places? Are you not able to "worship" your gods in private?

July 27, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • tallulah13

Jimbob, I am against the "cross" from 9/11 because people from many faiths died that day. You should feel shame that your religion is trying to hijack a memorial from the people who lost their lives to religious fanatics.

July 27, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • Fred1

What, I should make comments about the nonexistance of god on the golf blog?

July 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  17. jackbauer

CNN has lost all my respect

July 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • Mickey1313

then please, STOP POSTING, Go back to Faux news

July 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
  18. Habeeb

ALLAH AKBAR

July 27, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • tallulah13

Admiral Akbar.

July 27, 2011 at 11:58 pm |
    • frank

Wait its a trap

July 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  19. EricMatthews

God the creator of all things gave us free will to live our lives as we choose. We might not like where we start out, as we don't get to choose our station at birth, or our families for that matter, but the lessons we need to succeed with our lives purpose begin there. Its what you do with those lessons that matters. A low approval rating might indicate bad choices, and perhaps it would be wise to seek guidance from God.
    PS: Calling God 'it', makes it apparent the writer is one of the people making bad decisions and need to seek guidance.

July 27, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

Actually, seeing the stupidity of faithers, your suggestion of how wisdom is to be gained is rather comical.

July 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Magic

Calling "God" a "He" makes it apparent that your image is of one with male gonads, the XY chromosome and the attendant hormones.

July 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Sue

Ha, as George Carlin said, god would have to be a man to f-u-ck things up as badly as he did.

July 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Mickey1313

Calling god "he" anthripromorphizes (sp) god, which is a sin, make up your minds you stupid thiests. It is an it, or a he or a she, take your f-ing pick. Fake is still fake.

July 27, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
  20. Some Young Guy

Deer god, please save me from your ignorant self righteous followers, for their bigotry and hatred is a plague upon this earth.

July 27, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Sue

Deer god, hope some hunter doesn't find you.

July 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm |