home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. Bonnie

Americans are all criminals just like any others. No one in the universe cares criminals' approval. Stupid earthlings.

July 28, 2011 at 8:21 am |
  2. John Richardson

What this poll, which I hope will be done regularly from this point on, mostly shows is the lack of critical judgment of most people, who so often judge based in what they WISH were the case. 52% approval is absurdly high for a supposedly omnipotent, omniscient, all-loving god. I want to see Nixon-Carter numbers.

July 28, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  3. Cool F

Typical Summary of comments on religious-themed articles: 75% stupidity, 20% trolling, 5% legit discussion.
    1) CNN is reporting a quirky news item, not a religious agenda
    2) Very few people who spend their day commenting here really care what anyone else thinks
    3) Online news article comments will never make anyone have an epiphany and change their beliefs
    4) Guess where my comment falls.

July 28, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  4. Mark

This is the sillest thing I've read in a long time. The people that answered these questions are either stupid or just answering as a joke.
    If you don't believe in god you wouldn't answer these questions, and presumably if you do believe in God then you should have to approve of everything IT does regardless of whether you personally think, who are you to question the works of an all knowing god?

BTW which "god" were they polling for out of the many thousands to choose from? I imagine if they were polling for Thor or Zeus the approval rating would pretty low and what approval rating would a christian give Allah, what approval rating would a moslem give Jehovah?

July 28, 2011 at 8:08 am |
  5. Grumpster

The whole idea of a "Belief" blog is obnoxious pro-religion propaganda. I want my non-believer blog too.

July 28, 2011 at 7:55 am |
    • 4mercy

Sorry, but I guess God's not allowing that today.

July 28, 2011 at 8:45 am |
  6. Joy

CNN, you are ridiculous for posting this. And the people who responded to this poll are even more ridiculous. I will be shaking my head all day.

July 28, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  7. Will

quality article.
    sarcasm at it's best.
    one of the best things I've read on this horrid website in a hot minute.

July 28, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  8. Grumpster

Religion is like a d1ck....it's fine to have one, but don't go waiving it around in public, and don't go around trying to shove it down other people's throats. CNN...you obviously have a pro-religion agenda....more reason to go elsewhere for my non-biased news.

July 28, 2011 at 7:33 am |
    • Epidi

Hahaha! That's exactly how I feel when the Witnesses show up at my door selling their Watchtowers. Being Pagan, I once offered to demonstrate to a group that knocked on my door on how to call upon and set up a Watchtower for protection during Ritual but they didn't want to hear it. I countered that I didn't really want to listen to them how I should and could convert but they had knocked on MY door so why didn't they want me to share my belief system with THEM? Get the f^ck off my porch then, lol.

July 28, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • 4mercy

CNN has a "pro-religion" agenda???? HAH. You haven't been reading this blog very long, have you? CNN's agenda is ANYTHING BUT pro-religion.

July 28, 2011 at 8:46 am |
  9. Slumberjack

People are always searching for some greater purpose in ourselves and the world around us to the extent of wanting to believe a higher calling awaits us, and that everything was purposefully designed as a stage so that we humans can act out the role provided to us, one way or another, with 'god' eventually critiquing the performance of our lives. We may as well inquire as to the purpose of Pluto, or the rocks under our feet, or the purpose of a Tsunami, or devastating forest fires caused by random lightening strikes. In the great expanses of the universe, what is the purpose of giant stars that have already collapsed inward millions of years ago to form black holes. What is the purpose of eyeless frogs that have been found living in the deepest caves. Who can really answer these seemingly basic questions without resorting to a supernatural explanation that really doesn't explain anything. When we take away intelligent design as a possible answer to the question about Tsunamis, as some of us do, we can see that these terrible events are as natural to the planet and to the universe as a collapsing sun, or ancient rivers that have dried up, or the thousands upon thousands of species that disappeared into extinction long before the first primates were conceived. If microscopic bacteria can form and be sustained near a volcanic cone on the ocean floor, it's possible that life can form practically anywhere given the right conditions, just as mold spores form on bread that has been left out too long. Humans no longer need to explain everything with the answer 'god.' It's the dumbest answer possible, and more worthy of those seemingly inquisitive 'johnnies' at the back of the classroom trying to talk over everyones answers with nonsense. The answer from them aways turns out to be a pathetic insult to everyone's intelligence.

July 28, 2011 at 6:06 am |
    • richunix

@Slumberjack,

Well written. Man has always had a quest for something better in life. Though out the years we have given it many names, but the quest is always the same. I love mankind, it’s religion I hate, I have seen the beauty and the horror that we have offer this world, but I will always believe that mankind will strive for what is good. Yes I’m very happy with my life and YES I know I’m going to die as it is very much a part of life. I’m not so vain or fearful about what will happen that I to believe in some made up deity to comfort my fears. I know I will live forever and I can see it every day with the next new generation and I sigh with relief, that they will make the world a better place. Enjoy your life, do what you can to make it better, don’t live in fear of unknown.

July 28, 2011 at 8:27 am |
  10. Rob James

It is interesting to see so many people who don't seem to understand that a DIS-belief in a God is just as ridiculous as a belief in one. It is IMPOSSIBLE to prove either way so arguing or posturing about it is entirely moot. To call someone else's beliefs out when yours are founded on just as little empirical evidence is TRUE hypocrisy. Just sayin'.

July 28, 2011 at 5:34 am |
    • ASK

The burden of proof to explain why you believe in your god is on you I'm afraid. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If a group of people said that fire-breathing dragons really existed in the core of the earth and caused temperature fluctuations in the weather, would you believe them? I think most people would demand to see bona-fide evidence for this. If someone then produced a book of writings on these dragons that was written and compiled by humans centuries ago and he/she said, "Aha! In your face disbeliever. I've got evidence right here," would you then start believing? Or would you demand facts and empirical evidence? You're the one making a claim that your god exists. Now, pony up and show us the evidence.

July 28, 2011 at 7:12 am |
    • 4mercy

Jesus performed miracles "as proof" in his own time witnessed by many – yet there were still those who did not believe and the proof was right in front of them. There will always be non-believers and those who turn away from God.

July 28, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • Normon

"Jesus performed miracles "as proof" in his own time witnessed by many – yet there were still those who did not believe and the proof was right in front of them. "

Or, so your book says, anyway.

July 28, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Jared

Norman,

Many of those same kinds of miracles happen today. I've seen a couple.

July 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Rob James

@ ASK – In what part of my post did I claim to believe in a God? I think you missed the entire point. I said that the argument over the existence of said deity, REGARDLESS of where you think the 'burden of proof' lies, is entirely moot. You cannot prove a God doesn't exist any more than a "believer" can prove it does. Consider this – the current quantum model of the universe basically states that in order for something to be fixed in time & space it must be observed. Anecdotally, if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, it both does AND doesn't make a sound. The act of OBSERVATION is what creates the reality. This is important for two reasons – 1) we clearly all exist. Therefore, we must be being observed. 2) having created the CLOSED system in which we exist (namely the universe) any classical model of a 'God' would not be governed by the laws INSIDE the system. We can draw the conclusion that our reality is the collapse of quantum superpositions being observed from outside the system, meaning our existence relies on a 'God' observing us that does not require the same burden of observation in order to exist.

If that was too confusing for you, my apologies. I more or less just used modern quantum theory to postulate that the existence of a 'God' is not only likely but necessary using today's cutting edge science.

Consider this as well... We search for a Unified Theory of Everything – an equation that describes the nature of the universe from the infinitesimally small to the infinitely large. It is almost an absolute certainty that it exists, we just haven't quite got it all figured out yet. Now the interesting part. If you knew the equation, and the position and velocity of every elemental particle in the energy soup at the instant of the Big Bang, you would be able to PREDICT (know) the path that every single one of those particles would take throughout the entire course of history, anywhere and ANYTIME. You could plug in the values to the variables and run a 100% accurate simulation of the formation of stars, the coalescing of planets, the 2015 Superbowl, etc. The only requirement would be that you had a method of generating the simulation and that you were separate from it. Sounds like a 'God' to me...

July 29, 2011 at 2:31 am |
  11. john paul jones

that's a lie, same as GOD'S existence..any doubts...ask BILL MAHER..

July 28, 2011 at 3:44 am |
  12. Bonnie

Americans rely on polls too much. That's why they can't get history correct and cannot win wars anymore.

July 28, 2011 at 3:23 am |
  13. Bonnie

Approval of America by the world = 0
    Only God loves stupid Americans unconditionally.

July 28, 2011 at 2:10 am |
  14. Bonnie

None approves mankind's performance. The Planet Earth wants the present pest-like mankind to be gone forever for good. Read Romans 8.

July 28, 2011 at 2:08 am |
  15. Logan9773

The Religious Fable's performance sucks. Or at least it would if he was actually real.

July 28, 2011 at 2:01 am |
  16. dalenc

Is this article somehow to show that God is on par somewhat with Obama or something?

July 28, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  17. Joe Schmo

If an figment of our imagination is higher approved than our government, we live in a terrible place.

July 28, 2011 at 1:21 am |
    • S1N

Technically, God isn't a figment of my imagination. He's the figment of some other guy's imagination that is long dead. Unfortunately, this particular imaginary friend never went away.

July 28, 2011 at 1:58 am |
    • 4mercy

And never will.

July 28, 2011 at 8:50 am |
  18. Jon

It appears that all of you woke up this morning, your heart is beating, your breathing. The sun came up, the earth continues on it's predetermined path. Life is a gift, not a right. All of you who continue to deny that you are created beings do so with the breathe that was given to you by your Creator. If you're a parent take a look at your child and tell me that they aren't a gift from God. It takes more faith to believe that your life is a product of time + matter + chance than to believe that you were created by a loving God. Bad things happen in life, that's just the way it is, it does not make God any less real.

July 28, 2011 at 1:19 am |
    • BTC

That paragraph you just wrote is more real than god.

July 28, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • tallulah13

Your emotions do not equal proof.

July 28, 2011 at 1:35 am |
    • Observer

The Believer's Hypocrisy:

(1) In order for anything to exist, something must have CREATED it.
      (2) God exists
      (3) Nothing created God

July 28, 2011 at 1:37 am |
    • skeptic

God is not an answer - it is a comfy blanket and a teddy bear. That's nice - don't get me wrong - but it is certainly not a satisfying answer or explanation to anything whatsoever. You could have replaced "God" with "The twenty Romans from Bangalore" and it would have had equal meaning and weight in my mind.

July 28, 2011 at 3:35 am |
    • Merandy

I can say my children are not a gift from god. They are mine!

July 28, 2011 at 4:11 am |
    • Jared

@tallulah13,

True, so what in your mind would? What would at least make you wonder?

July 28, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  19. Brian

HAHA! Higher approval rating than obama

July 28, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • Observer

Yep and Obama's have fallen so far that they are only TWICE what Bush's were.

July 28, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • Bonnie

Approval of America by others = 0

July 28, 2011 at 2:11 am |
  20. Phil the Fella

Haha, "re-election" chances. God doesn't get elected, he's a tyrant!

Good thing he's not real, of course.

July 28, 2011 at 1:03 am |