home
RSS
Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance
July 27th, 2011

Poll: 52 percent approve of God’s job performance

By John Blake, CNN

(CNN) - If you think voters are in cranky mood over politics, a new poll suggests that some of the dissatisfaction may run deeper.

God’s job performance has trouble measuring up to many Americans' expectations, according to a poll by Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm based in North Carolina.

Only 52 percent of Americans approve of God’s job performance, the survey found, though just 9 percent disapprove.

The polling question that prompted this curious response was, "If God exists, do you approve or disapprove of its performance?"

"When asked to evaluate God on some of the issues it is responsible for, voters give God its best rating on creating the universe, 71-5," the polling report said. "They also approve of its handling of the animal kingdom 56-11, and even its handling of natural disasters 50-13."

Dino Grandoni cited the poll in a blog for the  Atlantic Wire:

On the bright side for the Almighty's re-election chances, God is still more popular than House Speaker John Boehner and both Republicans and Democrats in Congress, all of whom polled at 33 percent in the same poll.

(snip)

Believers or not, it seems ridiculous for the public to categorically grade God like this, until you realize that it's pollsters who asked the questions in the first place

Public Policy Polling used automated telephone interviews to survey 928 American voters from July 15 to 17. The voters were represented by a mix of liberal, moderate and conservative voters. The poll's margin of error  was +/-3.2%.

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Polls • Uncategorized

soundoff (2,575 Responses)
  1. Kyle

This is the kind of c*rap that makes atheist think Christians are mentally handicap.

July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • The Jackdaw

I knew that before these kinds of articles.

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Martin T

No, it's this kind of crap that PROVES that Christians are all deluded. I don't think that all Christians are insane, just insanely misled by their need to have someone tell them what to do, how to think, and so on.

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • derp

"This is the kind of c*rap that makes atheist think Christians are mentally handicap"

No, the mere fact that you are christian does that.

July 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Dude

Well if the shoe fits. Unfortunately the sane christians are drowned out by the retarded ones.

July 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • fred

Referring to God as “it” in the poll questions speaks volumes of what this organization really thinks and who they are. Complete and total disrespect for God.
      As to poll accuracy when you sandwich a God question ( phrased in a neutered disrespectful tone ) in between questions about political opinions you get a skewed result.

July 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Martin T

No, Fred, what you get is more of an actual handle on what people REALLY think. I know that over ten percent of the population in America openly think that there is no god, that is the percentage willing to admit their feelings. These kinds of polls tell the rest of the story.

July 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Bernie

His approval rating might be a smidge higher if, oh say for example, he actually did something...you know like maybe stop a war or two, genocide, maybe get rid of just one type of cancer..anything..come on throw us a bone

July 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • i wonder

fred,

Sorry if you are offended that "God" was not given credit for having male gonads and XY chromosomes and all of the attendant hormones..

July 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Bucky Ball

@fred
      Why is "it" disrespectful ? You want them to call it "her" ? You don't really believe god, if it were to exist, has a gender do you ?
      Or do you think it is going to be reproducing, (again) ?

July 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • i wonder

"Or do you think it is going to be reproducing, (again) ?"

I wouldn't be surprised if another "son" appears on the scene one of these days... or gee, maybe even a "daughter"! The holy Quadrinity - wow!

July 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • fred

Bucky Ball
      i wonder,
      The questions should have been asked "Do you approve of Gods job performance" vs do you approve of it's.job performance. This would not lead the question in a negaive frame. God is not a he or a she though the vehicle God chose to present himself was as a man. This was for various reasons which you are both aware of.

July 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
  2. unmanifest

Darn ! I should have hired a PR firm...

July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  3. jcp

this is a joke and why our country is falling apart. why? because we believe that religion and the invisible man is the answer. we are losing our kids because they look at adults praying to something that doesn't exist. kinda like the easter bunny and santa claus. crazy that in modern times, we have this problem.

July 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Drsmith

And how exactly do you know God doesn’t exist? Have any proof?

July 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Martin T

Dr, you don't seem to understand in the argument for a god, it is up to YOU to prove him real, we don't make the claim, YOUR side does.

July 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Martin T

-----
      Because they can't and know they can't they use that feable attempt to divert. Quite child like of them. Our position is already established being there is no evidence. The ball has been and always will be in their court...they just dance around and never pick it up. lol

July 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • jcp

"Dr"smith – 1) Do you? 2) Last night I was in my backyard with a telescope looking at the stars. But even past the stars in our galaxy, I saw Andromeda. The neighboring galaxy to our Milky Way. It is 2.3 Million Light Years away and holds billions of stars within it, like out Galaxy. You may say that this is not evidence but I wonder why God would create all this to put one planet with life on it. That is itself is proof to me. Your team thought the Earth was the center of the Universe just a few hundred years ago, killed the girl that said it wasn't and know is claiming that science and God are one. How convenient. 3) Finally, and please answer this question. If God made, who made God? If you say he's/she's always been, then why couldn't we (or universe(s)) just always have been as well?

July 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • J.W

Scientists have said that the universe and life both had a beginning.

July 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  4. The Jackdaw

This poll says more about the % of the population that believes in God than it does his approval rate. If you believe in God you will saying he's doing a great job. If you do not, he's doing a poor job. It’s a poll with only extreme answers. It tells me 52% of the people polled believe in a deity.

July 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Martin T

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • J.W

I suggested that earlier, but some of the atheists said I was stupid.

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Kyle

Right? How does an perfect being do something imperfectly?

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Martin T

I'm just saying that 48 percent of this nation do NOT believe in a god... That's great news...

July 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  5. Dale

With congress's approval rating under 10%, Ill take God hands down; even I can't see, touch or feel God.

July 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • The Jackdaw

Dont worry, his priests will touch you.

July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • birdman

I heard of this story once, in which a person was having doubts about the existence of God. He prayed something along the lines of, "If you are real let me feel you", and then the wind blew. He asked said again, "if you are real let me hear you", and a bird sang. He continued, "If you are real let me see you", and a butterfly comes into his view. I have heard this story once so it is not as well-written as someone who is familiar with it, but technically, God is always around us. We are made in His image and so we should see God in other people. Nature was made by God so we should see God in His creation. I know it is not exactly what you mean by see, touch, or hear, but I hope you get the gist of what I mean.

July 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Martin T

You are taking things that occure in nature and atributing them to god. What if I pray to god to heal the sick, feed the hungry, levitate a mountain. The bible says that anything asked in Jesus name will be done... How many of your prayers have actually been answered? NONE..

July 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • birdman

I am taking occurances in nature and attributing them to God because God created nature and in Nature I see His reflectoin and majesty. In that fellow you are wrong. God answers my prayers. I pray for good health and I have good health. I pray for the safety and health of others and He grants them safety and health. Now sure, there are many things in which prayers seem to go unanswered but in some way they will be answered, sometimes just not in the way we want them to or the way we think they will. Our prayers are heard by Him, and they may not be answered for many, many years, perhaps not even until after our death. Take feeding the hungry for instance. You or I may pray for God to feed the poor and one day on the street you might come up on a homeless person who looks in need of food. The right thing would be then to feed him, in which case you prayer would have been answered because you fed the poor, God provided you the opportunity. Or Food for the Poor perhaps, donate to them and they will feed the poor. Either way, your prayer is answered, just not in the way you would expect.

July 27, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  6. birdman

God really has nothing to do with our current situation in life. God created us because he loves us and he wants us to love him back. God doesn't control our human actions and decisions and certainly he does not control natural disasters. Sure people don't like the fact that natural disasters occur but doesn't mean they should blame our all-loving Creator. God said to Noah (and I am summarizing, not directly quoting the BIble) that He would never wipe out the people again. So to say that God is doing a poor job is essentially false. He doesn't play a hand in it, just as he doesn't play a hand in all the evil decisions we make in our lives. He gave us free will so that we can choose to love him, because after all, love is not forced, but is unconditional. We shouldn't judge His performance in handling worldly affairs when He doesn't have a hand in them, and much of which wouldn't happen if people loved God. All things in life that are evil, save perhaps natural disasters and things out of our hands, are our fault and will only be helped with God. All we need to do is to love Him.

I know this might not have been the most well-written piece but I hope you gather where I am coming from and the point I am trying to make.

July 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • jcp

really birdman, he loves us? haha...you sound like a kid talking about santa claus or elmo. haha...how sad.

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • freethinker

My mom and dad made me, not god.

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • vfr3000

You are in cloud cookoo land. 'God' = BS
      There is no 'supreme' being on ones we have made up.

Stick the popes kokk in your mouth and tell me different.

jesus

July 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • birdman

What is sad jcp is that you appear to be close-minded and instead of giving thought to ones argument you just laugh and make fun. If you think I am wrong, then tell me why, don't just laugh. If I am a misguided kid, as I think you are misguided, guide me in the right path.

@freethinker: And God gave your mother and father the ability to make you. God created all things, such as the ability for your mother and your father to create you. You may not believe this because of the theory of evolution.

July 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • vfr3000

I made God, I buttfkd jesus and mary and ALL the apostles, (his conman gang) they all loved it, the pope loves it so do all the nuns and priests and any good catholic loves it.

Get real, get a unreligous dick, you love it.

July 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  7. Wonder

Wonder what approval ratings Dogs and Cats will have for their Masters????

July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  8. HenryO

God is real. So is hell.

July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • The Jackdaw

Right, because you saw them both.

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • AndyB

No they aren't.

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Dude

Really? Prove it.

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  9. unmanifest

Darn! I should have hired a PR firm...

July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
  10. firebird9999

Really? And I always thought god was a fairytale. Oh well. I know better now.

July 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  11. Krystal

I am very disturbed that this article was even written. He is the ruler of all things rather it goes your way or not. He knows best.......

July 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Nonimus

... and yet He allowed this article to be written. Makes you wonder...

July 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Ed

Yes, God knows best. It was his all knowing decision that lead to the murder of 70 innocent Norwegians.

July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Judy Kitchen

Good reply Krystal.

July 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Ed

----

Eddie come on god's will is god's will. Everything happens for a reason. The good things we credit to him...the bad things we have no answer other than he knows best lol. Sheep are needed in this world...they taste like lamb.

July 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • AndyB

We get to evaluate our President and our other leaders, so why not god? We never agreed for him to be our god. He wasn't elected. He made us (supposedly), so don't you think he should take some responsibility for our happiness?

July 27, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • derp

"He is the ruler of all things"

Ok, lets try an experiment.

Hey god, I don't believe you exist, if you do, then strike me down with lightning.

Nope, still here. Once again, as usual, god does nothing

July 27, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  12. justageek

I find it funny that people who believe in God say you just have to have faith that God exists and people who believe in science say we came from nothing in some big bang so just have faith in it.

Neither side can conclusively prove or disprove the other yet both are willing to say each other is just plain wrong. Ironic to say the least.

The ones who say God is a fairy tale are probably the funniest because if they believe that 'poof'...everything just appeared in a bang then why not a God just appearing as well? Something from nothing is a pretty big fairy tale no matter who you tell that story too. Since we cannot see before the big bang we'll never know if anything existed before it so science says just believe us. Easier to believe in the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy or...gasp...a God.

July 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • PACO

you don't have to believe,those who don't stand away from my area

July 27, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Laughing

You know, for a geek you are appallingly misinformed.

Belief in god and belief in the big bang is comparing apples and oranges. We have hypothesis and visual proof that the universe has a center and that some massive explosion is pushing every bit of matter away from that point at incredibly high speeds. We can't see further back so the hypothesis is that this was the beginning and that this explosion caused it. If a scientist tomorrow was able to come up with a theory and get past a peer-review and have good evidence, I could easily be swayed to believe this new theory. What exactly will get you to stop believing in god? If Ganesh came down from the sky tomorrow would you stop believing?

July 27, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • fair and balanced fred

The Big Bang theory is not based on faith -
      rather is is based on experiment and discovery.
      Furthermore, the Big Bang theory does not posit
      that humans evolved from nothing, We evolved
      from energy, atoms, and molecules. Religion, on
      the other hand, is based almost entirely on faith - on
      things unproven and thing that cannot be proved.

July 27, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • justageek

@fred – evolution is not in question. It's what was here before the big bang that cannot be proven so 'faith' that we came from 'nothing' is what scientists such as Hawkings say happened. I just find it hard to believe in that story.

@laughing – What am I missing? We say the same thing. There was a big bang but what was before it cannot be explained. We just appeared in a bang from...well...nothing.

July 27, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • fred

Laughing,
      You said: Belief in god and belief in the big bang is comparing apples and oranges
      Well your buddy is beginning to see the light:
      Hawking states, “There must be religious overtones. But I think most scientists prefer to shy away from the religious side of it.” And even though many scientists do shy away from the religious implications of these new discoveries, an increasing number are now admitting that a Designer’s fingerprints are coming into view
      Then there is:
      George Smoot, the Nobel Prize winning scientist in charge of the COBE experiment admits:
      “There is no doubt that a parallel exists between the big bang as an event and the Christian notion of creation from nothing.”

July 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Laughing

Actually, the theory is there was a pinpoint of energy that just exploded and a further theory to say there existed an entire universe before that retracted into that pinpoint of energy and exploded again. But you missed the point. You said that it's faith that makes us believe in the big bang but more to the point it's blind faith which is not the case. Blind faith is what believers have with god because all they have to go on is a very old book and a guy who claims to have a direct line with god. You also failed to answer my question though, is there anything that could happen today, tomorrow or down the road that would make you stop believing in god, or is the cognitive dissonance just too great a hurdle?

July 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Laughing

@fred

Just like the bible, you take quotations and verses out of context and make them the crux of your arguement. I would be interested to see where you got these things, do you have citations? Also, the quotes you gave me, at best, say that people are moving from being just atheists to being atheist agnostics, meaning they are willing to admit that there may be a creator. I think that's about as far as you're going to get though, go talk with hawking (who personally referred to religion as a bunch of fairy tales) or other scientists (not myself, I don't claim to be one) you'll probably find that a solid majority will scoff at the idea that religion (christianity, buddhism, hinduism, islam, ect....) does not have it right. Even if there is a "divine being" an all -powerful creator, it most certainly is not anything like what man has described it to be. You can take that to the bank

July 27, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • fair and balanced fredrico

----------------–
      I think that if you asked a cosmologist, he or she would say that you are confusing the concept of time with matter (with matter being a form of energy).

July 27, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • J.W

Well whether God was involved in the beginning of the universe cannot be scientifically proven or tested. I have not read a definite answer of whether scientists believe that everything that makes up the universe always existed or not. If it did not then it would go against scientific principles that matter cannot be created or destroyed. I have read about how the original life forms appeared on earth. It basically said that the first organisms were made out of non-living material. I believe that God caused these things to happen, because I dont believe that they could have happened naturally.

July 27, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • justageek

@laughing – I never said I believe in a God. I simply said it is easier to believe in a God than it is to believe in the 'we came from nothing' side. BTW – I do understand all the multiple universe and continual cycles of expansion and contraction theories. It is still faith if you cannot prove any one of them...oops...sorry...a theory as you would most likely say.

July 27, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • justageek

@fred – Maybe. I just go by what scientists like Hawking say.

July 27, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Laughing

Your missing two things there justageek,

1) how is it easier to believe something with proof to back it up vs. something that you heard from a guy who told a guy who told a guy who read it in a book that was created 2,000 years ago from pure eyewitness testimony. Seriously? How did you arrive at that conclusion. It looks like you do believe in god or a god because you give enough defe.rence to writing his name by capi.talizing it like other believers do. Sorry if I read too much into your choice of cap.itali.zation

2) Faith and theory, again are two different things that you don't seem to really understand. You can have faith IN a theory but they aren't equal and you can't subst.itute one word for another. Once you understand that bit, it'll make more sense.

So my question about what would make you stop believing in god still stands but I guess before that comes the question of, do you believe in god?, doesn't have to be the christian one, anyone will suffice to answer the init.ial question.

July 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • fred

Laughing,
      I agree with you that we could not even begin to imagine "God". You are in good company:
      "an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection." Albert Einstein

July 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • justageek

@laughing – To try and answer your question, I don't know what to believe. Maybe Pascal has it right so I lean that way.

1 – What proof is there that something existed before the big bang? How is it even possible to try and prove it with anything other than a theory which can never be proven or even disproven same as any religion?

2 – If you take faith and theory meanings literally then you are correct. I'm merely relating the two as ways of thinking and trying to explain the unexplainable.

July 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Laughing

@fred
      Huh? and please, once you show me citations I might actually give you a response.

@justageek

So you give pascals wager merit, so does that mean you pray to odin, gaia, zeus, god, jesus, ra ect.... just to cover your bases? Are you agnostic?

1 – So far, no proof of anything coming before the big bang, just a theory.......but why exactly should we call it a day and say god did it? We will keep on looking for answers, devising new ways to find those answers and testing their merits rigoriously. It's what's gotten us to the moon, a rover to mars, a satellite beyond the solar system.

disproving religion is simple – I can't prove it. This is done the same way you can disprove my non-existant stamp collection. If I told you I had a stamp collection and invited you over to show it to you, if I couldn't produce even a single stamp, would you believe on faith when I adamantly stuck to my guns and said I most certianly did. It would be at least highly suspect don'y you think? My hope is one day we can put myth and legend behind us as a source for answers and get to disproving scientific theories with more facts and experiments rather than chalking it up to god.

2. You say you understand, but you I don't think you do if you use both words equally. "I have faith this is true" and "I have a theory that this is true" changes the meaning completely, you can't use both words to describe the same thing.

July 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • justageek

@laughing – Agnostic.

1 – We shouldn't stop. I agree we should keep looking. We just know through some theories that we cannot 'see' before the big bang so it will be difficult to say the least to find definitive answers. But as I originally started the thread with saying it is this fact that we do not know that strikes me as funny that someone would bash a religion as being bunk without a good 'provable' counter point. You say disproving religion is simple because you cannot prove it and you say there is no proof of anything before the big bang which means we just appeared since nothing before the big bang can be proven. Same arguement.

Again – using theory and faith literally is completely different. I get that. I'm just relating different sides of the house and their terminology.

July 27, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Laughing

ahhhh justageek,

Now I see your problem, took me a while, but I found it.

The existance of "god" for lack of a better term may still be up for debate and until such time that we can prove evreything in the known universe was created without the helping hand of a supreme being, the lingering deity will always be there for the person who wants the answer at that very moment.

but RELIGION is a wholy different matter. We can (and have) disproved many, many things that the bible (among other holy books) claims to be true. Get the distinction? Religion is flawed and gives people false answers, ridiculous rules and crazy people are venerated as prophets and saviors.

There is a very big distinction between saying there is/might be a god and then there is a god and his name is yaweh and he made us in his likeness and....blah blah blah. Also, keep in mind being agnostic doesn't mean you can't also be an atheist.

July 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • justageek

@laughing – Problem? No problems here 🙂

Agreed on religion and being able to prove or disprove religious beliefs. World was flooded and so on – hogwash.

But as I stated in original comment – I find it ironic that some people can say a God is a fairy tale yet cannot come up with a incontrovertible theory to explain otherwise. Just as a religious person just says it's in my book so it's true and you who do not believe are wrong. Who is really wrong or right enough to prove the other wrong or right??

July 27, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • fred

Laughing,
      Justageek,
      Seems we are trying to explain "soul" when that consciousness / self awareness feeling says there must be more than nothingness. The Bible refers to this as the life God breathed into man, that which makes man unique among all living creatures. Others imply this is the image of God that was put in man. Whatever "it" is most of us have it and man has been attempting to explain it since Moses penned Genesis. I happen to like how Moses put it – the image of God. Can it be that simple. I cannot describe awareness of thought, self awareness or graphically visualize it. Is that the image of God outside of our concept of time and space. That life source which drives us to explore and ponder. Science has found its location within our cortex consisting of billions of neurons simultaneously connecting vast arrays of other thought processes. Some say when we die the power is off lights out while others sense that field of nothing in awe a greatness that cannot be described. The source of music / art / imagination etc., It exists everywhere and nowhere at the same moment. You can't touch it, you know it was there before you "felt it or sensed it", it is there when your awake or asleep.

July 27, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • J.W

I think it goes back to what I said about people going so crazy over the book.

July 27, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • justageek

@fred – I'm pretty sure my self awareness is not related to my soul. I lose my self awareness everytime I fall asleep so do I lose my soul as well? But I do get what you're trying to say.

@jw – Agreed. Getting too whacked out on one side or the other is usually not good.

July 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Laughing

@justageek

When god is refer.red to as a fairy tale, its the god in the bible, because the bible is the fairy tale. Geddi.t? A higher power is a little less likely to be called a fairy tale, because a lot more atheists can stomach that there very well could be a creator being that made the universe, if there's evidence to show it. The fairy tale part is only used directed at the bible and the god in that bible.

@fred
      what are you blat.hering about? no one mentioned anything about the "soul" or self-awareness. Don't jump to conclusions from some lines of text, it's what got us in this qua.gmire of religion in the first place.

Personally on the subject, it's defin.itly a challenge to define what exactly self-awareness is, but it is by no means proof positive of god. Personally I also enjoy the word game of being able to refer to myself as I and then being able to ref.er to myself as my body, or my brain. It's a something that's refe.rring to something else, so are they two different enti.ties? This delves into philosophy or maybe just the innate failing that language has. All of this though has never led me to believing in god, especially the one from the bible. On some days I could call myself an agn.ostic and I can even stomach the thought of a power that's unimagin.able being the spark that set off the big bang, but then I always find myself asking "but where would this creator come from, can't create yourself" and then I'm back at square one. If there is such thing as a 'soul" for lack of a better term, it's maybe held within electrons or even smaller all the way down to the elusive higgs-boson but nothing gave it to us. As geeky as it might sound I really like the idea of Orson Scott Card's imagining of an Auia, a philote found in the Outside that is called when it's needed and takes control of the object. It uses that object to the best of its abil.ities and in humans case has the capacity (with out big brains) to actual think at a higher level than say, a rock, or a dog.

July 27, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • justageek

@laughing – So I'm a little to one side and you're a little to the other. Seems fair then that we actually had a decent dialogue going on a CNN thread where the masses seem to never get both of their brain cells to fire at the same time. Enjoyed it. Have to go. Peace.

July 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  13. MJ

Why would CNN even bother to publish a story this stupid.
    So 52% of people who believe in a "man in the sky" aren't happy with his imaginary performance...wow what a story!

July 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  14. Catherine

I give GOD 1000 %, people who do these polls 0 %. People that don't beleive in GOD, foolish. And if you think that we are all doing a good job in promoting peace, love, forgiveness, and honesty, good luck

July 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • HenryO

You, my dear, are an idiotic lost soul.

July 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • derp

Until he cures cancer, I can't give him more than a C+

July 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  15. Marc Benarrous

Palintwit thats the greatest thing Ive read all day. 52%? really do the other 48% think the 52% are absolute morons? I do.

July 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  16. ack1074

I love the idea of this poll. The definitions and duties of dieties have always been based on the expectations and beliefs of their followers. The disparate beliefs in the nature and character of Christ in the US alone give evidence of this. Now we know, barely half of Americans think God is doing the job defined by their expectations. This is a margin of victory comparable to most "vulnerable" politicians come election time. The question is: What do we do with this information?

July 27, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  17. Trouble

I think this is disgraceful, the creator of all under the sun and you have the nerve to rate him, as a nation you might not want to beleive in the Almighty but look around you, this country is coming apart right along with the rest of the world.
    God hasnt forgotten us and never will but for sure we dont bring glory to his name with articles like this.
    2 Timothy-Chapter 3 Vs 1, But know this, that "in the last days perilous times will come.

July 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Bernie

So during the course of thousands of years, did god just fall asleep. Seems after about 2000 odd years ago, things like revolutions from Russia, to the US, WWI, WWII, Korea, Hastings, the constant strife in middle east, and oh, yeah, the holocaust.
      God just take a few years off?

July 27, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  18. palintwit

We arrive in our rusty 1964 motorhomes.
    We carry our bibles and loaded assault weapons.
    We wear ridiculous costumes and have teabags dangling from our earlobes.
    We carry misspelled racist signs as we stomp all over the White House lawn.
    We are 'real Americans'. Just like Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin.
    We believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, and that nascar is a real sport.
    We love baby jesus the most. We also love to boink our cousins.
    We are the baggers and birthers.
    We are nazis and republicans.
    We are morons. We are proud.

July 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • planethou

Hilarious!! LOL! I love it! Well done.

July 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  19. Fry

This is silly.

July 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  20. Josef

God is dead. And no one cares. If there is a hell, I'll see you there.

July 27, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • fred

God is dead? Just how would God die and by what hand?

July 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • HenryO

You won't see me there. But you will see many more with you nonsensical beliefs.

July 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • James

Dude, you bring the beer and I'll bring the ribs. I bet we can have an awesome BBQ down there

July 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Martin T

Based on what I know about MOST Christians, I'm actually hoping that if god does exist, I go to hell, I can't imagine living in enternity with some of the likes of Christians I have known.. NO THANK YOU! I can only imagine trying to kill myself for eternity, or going mad trying to get away from them... aurgghhhhhh

July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Dude

God fades into obscurity by reason and critical thinking. You cant kill that which doesn't exist.

July 27, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Andreas

How would he die and by what hand? Well, by the same hand that created him...human's hand. how would he die? the same way he was born...the human's mind. The smarter humans get the weaker any believe gets. Facts over Fiction, Knowledge over Believe. Try it some time...if you are not too scared to look. Apply logic over faith.

July 27, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • fred

dude,
      For 6,000 plus years of recorded history man has tried to do away with God yet a remnant always survives and the process starts over again and another generations attempts to kill God off.

July 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • fred

Andreas,
      Now there is logic for you killing something that you say does not exist in the first place. I'll take my faith over that kind of logic

July 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm |