home
RSS
Detroit Jewish group looking for a few young urban pioneers
August 5th, 2011

Detroit Jewish group looking for a few young urban pioneers

By Joe Sterling, CNN

(CNN) - Jordan Wolfe and Leor Barak are Jewish and really dig living in the city of Detroit. But these two members of the tribe are demographic exceptions.

The vast majority of the 72,000 Jews in the Detroit metro area are planted in the suburbs, according to census figures. Just a sprinkling reside in the city.

However, a Detroit Jewish federation initiative is planting a seed or two to help the city grow, person by person. It is raising money for a rent subsidy program designed to attract 25 young people to live in the city.

The federation's CommunityNEXT has kicked off "Do It for Detroit," the umbrella name for a number of events in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and metro Detroit designed to raise $100,000.

If the money is raised, it will be used to provide subsidies of $3,000 a year - $250 a month - to live in the city. The program will accept applications in October.

The rent subsidy program is called the Live Detroit Fund and it will be administered by CommunityNEXT.

The goal of the program: Attracting and retaining young talent in the region. It is open to all, not just Jews, but it has a focus on the Jewish community.

To qualify for the aid, applicants must agree to host a monthly event that helps invigorate the Jewish community and the greater Detroit region.

The program and the sentiment behind it buck a long-time trend among Jewish-Americans.

Like other major American cities, Detroit has been ravaged by industrial decline and urban blight.

Like other hyphenated Americans, Jews have left for the suburbs from the inner cities where they first settled when they came to the United States.

The city of Detroit has a rich Jewish heritage and was once dotted with a few dozen synagogues. But today, it has only one free-standing congregation left, the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue.

Jordan Wolfe, the director of CommunityNEXT, lives in the Midtown neighborhood of Detroit and, ironically, commutes occasionally to work in the suburbs.

Several employers in the city have similar programs to get their own employees to move back to the city, Wolfe said. If the group can raise the money to kick off the subsidy program, it will be an exciting opportunity for young people to engage in what Wolfe calls an impressive economic development story - helping Detroit grow.

It's a worthwhile place for an urban pioneer and an opportunity to shape an environment, even though the effort has its obvious challenges as well, with the city being in bad shape economically, he said.

"If we're lucky and successful, we'll get a mix. I think we want 25 people who have a variety of occupations and that entrepreneurial mindset," Wolfe said.

Wolfe lives in the Midtown neighborhood.

"For me, it's great," he said. "I really like the urban feel and going places that are diverse in nature."

Leor Barak is hoping there will be "transparency of process" in the program's choices.

Just the same, Barak supports incentives to bring people to the city and is excited to see the Jewish community engaged in such an effort.

Barak says there are two major misconceptions about Detroit. One is that the entire city is devastated.

"That's not true," said the resident of the West Village Historic District. There are many nice neighborhoods, he said.

Another is the perception about large-scale crime.

"The second misperception is that you are going to get shot walking around," he said. "I bike to work every single day, and I've never had an issue.

Barak is an evangelist for the city. The Jewish community is hoping his attitudes are contagious.

"If you have a passion for change, this is the place. This is the most exciting place to be in the country right now."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Judaism • Michigan • United States

1. CatfishMammy

PRAISE BE TO JESUS NOT TO DA DEBIL!!!
    HAVA NAGILA!!!!!!

August 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  2. frank

This is a hare-brained idea for many reasons.

August 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  3. onthetelly

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjquVWyw9w&w=640&h=360]

August 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  4. onthetelly

Detroit can take this guy
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjquVWyw9w&w=560&h=349]

August 5, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  5. Jon

"He also hopes the community understands the need for "an overall awareness about positive community-oriented development to avoid gentrification."

Oh yeah that is one of Detroit's big issues: Avoiding gentrification. That's right up there on the priority list next to getting a real grocery store and the 50 percent literacy rate.

August 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm |
    • Tom

Gentiles need not apply.

August 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Jumpin Jehosophat!!!!!!!!!!

Atheists being rude and pushy on the internet is just a natural reaction, since in everyday life, in an overwhelmingly Xtian dominated society, we are not free to argue our point of view even politely without suffering very real consequences like being shunned, putting our employment in jeopardy, facing verbal or physical aggression from these "followers of the prince of peace", etc. Heck, even mention that you don't believe in a god (without criticising the belief in one) and you are usually mocked as an idiot who will burn in hell and/or looked at like you're some kind of creep, simply for not believing that people come back from the dead, or that a hypothetical deity who slaughters innocent babies by the millions in his supposed holy book doesn't sound like a wonderful guy...
      So, when you can actually say something without relegating yourself to revolting leper status at your job or etc, some tend to let loose a bit.
      Can you really blame them???

August 5, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  6. CrownRoyal

lol why are all the atheist radicals in here trying to bash religion. You guys know you're not the center of the world. Right? Get over it. You're not as smart as you think you are. In related news, next time you want to bash religion, use something of substance. LOL. Go joooooos!

August 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Spiffy

What do you consider radical? Just because Atheists talk badly of religion doesn't mean we are radical. Why should religion get special privileges that keep them from being insulted?

Atheists have been proven to be smarter then the religious. Not only that but they are better versed in religions then those who practice them. So yes we are as smart as we think we are.

I'm not sure what you consider something of substance. Offer me some bait to debate you and I am sure I could offer you something of substance.

August 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • J

Religion is a crutch for people who can't think for themselves. It separates large groups of people. That could have something to do with it?

August 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • DamianKnight

"Atheists have been proven to be smarter then the religious."

Spiffy, can I see your source on that?

August 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • Spiffy

Sure here is the source.

August 5, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Interesting opinion piece! Thanks for sharing it, Spiffy!

The only thing is, it does say athiests score high on intelligence tests. "As individuals, atheists tend to score high on measures of intelligence, especially verbal ability and scientific literacy." However, it does not support your statement "Atheists have been proven to be smarter then the religious."

I do think there is something wrong with intolerance of religious beliefs. And it's on BOTH SIDES. I don't think a person's religious beliefs should either legally or socially should exclude them from public office.

August 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • Joe Somebody

It really is amazing how atheists are so much louder and pushier than religious folk. There's a reason people are turned off by atheists. Maybe if they'd just shutup and not push people so much against religion, maybe there wouldn't be the friction.

August 5, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • Spiffy

Here is another piece if that helps.

And I kind of agree with overly pushy Atheists scaring people away. I didn't become an Atheist because of loud Atheists. I became an Atheist after looking at facts, studying religions, and using logic. It took me about 2 years to become an Atheist and in between I was an Agnostic. I remember though when people challenged my faith I would immediately recoil from them and go on the attack. That doesn't mean I won't challenge people when they say things I find ridiculous because apart of me becoming an Atheist was hearing from other Atheists.

August 5, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • herbert juarez

what would really help... if there was a spiffy
      spiffy does not exist

August 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  7. mhklein

Now if you really want to grow a Jewish presence in Detroit, start a yeshiva! There's nothing like a good yeshiva or kollel to seed a Jewish community. And make sure there is a convenient mikva nearby.

August 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  8. Will

Wow, I wish someone would subsidize my rent.

August 5, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  9. Bo

_____________________________________________________________________@ JW 3:08 posting: What Bible are you reading? I'm a Christian and I don' t read anything like that. I do read that things will get worse until the 2nd coming of Christ, but at that time we will go to heaven. _____________________________________

August 5, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Disagree

Do they have coco puffs there too? Is that promised too?

August 5, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • J.W

Is this in response to something I said? You have me a little confused.

August 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Joe

Why wait?

August 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  10. sad

For all those who are posting such irrevential comments about Jesus, it ijust shows the world of who you are ,a reflection of an empty soul with a meaningless life which finds pleasure in dishonoring and commenting on the Son of God in such a distasteful manner.

August 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Laughing

You know it's funny, I was just thinking what an empty life a person would lead praying and talking to air, but hey to each his own. I guess jesus just needs to get thicker skin or maybe just his followers do.

August 5, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Atheist

I don't believe in souls and science is quickly getting to the point where it can prove it.
      But I have to say, even without a soul, I find my life very meaningfull. I love life!

August 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • CrownRoyal

Mr. so called Atheist. You obviosly haven't a clue about science or what its current state of advancement is declaring about the concept of God or souls. Here's a hint. General theory of relativity. And the Constants that dictate our physical laws, and how they relate to this relativity. You are so uneducated and oblivious yet you think you are so high and mighty mr atheist. It's very laughable and i feel bad for you. Yes. Some people believe in God. Yes. Some do so dumbly. Yes. Even more do so genuinely, and with good reason, even reason backed by science. Get over it.

August 5, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • OnLooker

How is science coming closer to disproving the existence of a soul?

August 5, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • Wzrd1

At least I am comforted to know that I've spoken ill of Jesus or any other Jew.

August 5, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
    • Atheist

I know I said I was leaving but I had to respond to this.

@ crownroyal
      I've actually taken many classes in physics and have even done more studying on top of that. General Relativity has nothing to do with this. I don't know where you got that from. And once you start studying quantum theory, the idea that everything is predetermined becomes more obvious. And don't throw out The uncertainty theory just because it has uncertainty in it. It's not related either

Just because you know big words doesn't make you smart.

August 5, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
  11. Spiffy

August 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Spiffy

Sorry meant for J.W's post.

August 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • herbert juarez

no problem no explanation needed spiffy does not exist

August 5, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

J.W

I think it may be worth being tortured and killed if Christians, Jews, and Muslims would live in peace. I would be willing to suffer the same fate as Jesus.

-----
      Your idea is noble but not special. In fact what jesus went through was not special. Others have suffered far greater than what he went through if he existed. Getting the $ h!t whipped out of you and hanging up on a cross/stake is not so unique and special.

August 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

J.W

-----
      Maybe they have and you can't remember. 😮

August 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Atheist

@SeanNJ
      Interesting point, but even if you're powerless to stop arguing or even change your mind about it, that doesn't mean that your brain wont change it's own mind about it.

I know... deep right?

----
      You talking about the subconcious? Interesting how our brain deals with issues that we try to tuck away once we are a sleep.

August 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  12. J.W

I think us Christian, Jews, and Muslims need to settle our differences now. We need to have some sort of huge meeting where we can work out the differences in our religion. We could create some sort of super religion that could never be defeated.

August 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • what

did u pray before you came with this post?

August 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • J.W

No that is my own idea. Dont you like it?

August 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • William Demuth

Like some sort of Tranformers

It would be Optimus Jesus in the form of a 1970's V W van with sandals hanging on the read view.

Allah would be a Falafel Truck that had been blown up, and Jehovah would be a BMW driven by a Mexican chaufer getting minim wage.

August 5, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Atheist

All you need to do is write the book

August 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • J.W

Well I mean I would think Jesus and Mohamed agreed on some things. And Jews might not see Jesus as divine, and he broke alot of Jewish laws, but I would think they would agree that overall he was a pretty good guy. If you met Jesus today you would probably wanna take him out for a drink.

August 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • and

and Will D will be cleaning rest rooms for all mortals

August 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • Spiffy

That sounds like a horrible idea. You already seem to be having radical ideas. Like not being able to be defeated. That in itself suggests military action. We have enough extremists. We do not need a new super religion full of them.

August 5, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • William Demuth

J.W

No thanks, but drinks with the blonde haired blue eyed virgin mom of his would be cool.

They are hard to come by.

August 5, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • J.W

LOL if there is one thing I wouldnt advocate it is military action. I am a pacificist. And William you are right, a virgin and milf at the same time.

August 5, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Abraham aka Abram aka Ibrahim

My Children/Step Children:

Cease and desist from all kinds of hatred on toward another, can't you all live in Peace!

Here is my first commandment:

"From this day forth you shall respect one another and show compassion and love one to another"

August 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • J.W

See Abraham that is what I am advocating.

August 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Nonimus

Sorry, but isn't that the anti-christ's job according to Revelations? (not that there is a Christ or anti-Christ, just according to The Book.)

August 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Spiffy

If you aren't advocating violence then why did you say that you couldn't be defeated? Please explain...

August 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • J.W

I meant that the religion would thrive and would keep getting greater and number, not really take over the world by force. We would be a peaceful people. Nominous I forget which verse you were referring to.

August 5, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Spiffy

Still sounds delusional. Too many divides in these religions to ever unite.

August 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • what

is he here? is he here? is he here? the dreaded "Anti" must be jw

August 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • fred

J.W
      Did you forget what they did to Jesus last time around? We are far worse today than back then (all you need do is look at these postings William Demuth thoughts of the mother of Jesus) . Jesus said if they these things when the leaf is on the tree what will they do when the tree is barron. (i.e. i good ann good times they will nail Jesus to the cross, times will get real bad down the line and just wait till you see what man is capable of then)

August 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Atheist

Really? You think it's J.W who is the anti-christ for thinking this?
      That's interesting, I've had many Christians say it was going to be me. Or at least an atheist in general.

August 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

August 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • fred

Nonimus,
      There is a Christ and anti Christ. Forget the bible for a moment. Look around you and see nothing but Good / bad, hate / love. Now, back to the bible the first kids out of the shoot Cain and Able. One loved God the other hated and the result was blood. Event the start of the Arabs was from two sons Ishmeal and Isaac where the bible said the two (now jews and muslems) will be at each others throats till the end times. The Muslem today awaits the 13th Imam that will destroy Israel and they will reign forever while the Jews await the Messiah that give them the promised land and roast the Muslem in hell.

August 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Laughing

Of course the guy advocating for peace if labeled the anti-christ, that makes perfect sense....... How sad that when someone wants to unite the people of the book under the one god they all worship he's told by the believers that he's the anti-christ.

Of course the atheists also think you're stupid, but that's just because it's like asking Santa, Hannukah Harry and Kwanzabot (sorry, I don't think muslims have a character for Ramadan so I improvised from futurama) to become friends and unite. Silly notion, but at least a lot nicer than calling someone an anti-christ dontcha think?

August 5, 2011 at 3:22 pm |

@ laughing
      Nice use of futurama, great show.

I also agree that calling someone stupid for thinking something that will most likely never happen is better than calling them the anti-christ. But as an atheist, I think it's a great idea to unite them all. If only for the fact it would be easier for us to go against one big religion than the hundred thousand that are out there now.

August 5, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Laughing

@Atheist, you're telling me, it's like fighting a hydra. Everytime you logically route a believer with a solid argument, they squirm out with "Well that's not what REAL Christians/Jews/Muslims ect... believe. With one mega religion, one logic bullet would do the trick.

August 5, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • herbert juarez

lets talk real delusional
      it is unlikely that spiffy exists

August 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm |

@ laughing
      Lately I've been trying the "there is no free will, therefore no soul, therefore no afterlife, therefore no god" argument with science to back me up but they either don't respond or say that I'm wrong without really giving a reason.

I figured the no soul thing would get all of them, but it's hard to fight back against someone who just says no without giving a reason.

August 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Nonimus

@fred,
      So the fact that there is love and hate in world means that there is a Christ and anti-Christ? I don't see the connection. I'm not sure what the stories in the Bible have to do with anything, since they are unverifiable and I don't think the Bible mentioned Muslims, because they didn't exist until ~700CE.

August 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Atheist,
      Not that I disagree with your position, based on your name anyway, but what science backs up the idea of no free will?
      Just out of curiosity.

August 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • J.W

I cant believe everyone is destroying my idea without even giving it a chance. You people are sad.

August 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Nonimus

@JW,
      Sorry but from a practical persective, divide and conquer or they do a better job fighting amongst themselves. Figuratively, of course, I'm not advocating any violence.

August 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

@ nonimus
      There were a few studies done where taking an active MRI of someone's brain, the scientist can see what decision the patient will make before the patient knows in their concience.

Also, during brain surgery there have been many cases where the person comes out of surgery and has a completely different personality than they originally had, still have the same memories, just a different person.

The point is, no matter how you feel about something, it's just chemical reactions in the brain. All you are is just a series of inputs that your brain is taking and using those to create a specific output. You aren't choosing to do something, you're doing it, then your concience mind is saying that it chose to do that thing. Science says that it can tell you what you're going to do before you conciously know just by looking at brain activity.

August 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Atheist,
      Interesting. I hadn't heard that approach before. Thanks

August 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • J.W

Atheist I think that that we all have different personality and that may have to do with a chemical in the brain, but I dont think that means that we are pre-programmed. I can make a conscious decision right now if at 7 tonight I want to go to a movie, go jogging, watch tv, etc. Perhaps the MRI measures certain urges that the patient has, but that doesnt mean that the scientists are controlling what the person is doing.

August 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

@ Nonimus
      There's a good novel about it called Neuropath by R.Scott Bakker. The story is fake and a little intense but all the science in it is real. I'd reccomend giving it a read.
      But like I said, the story is a little over the top.

August 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@J.W.
      What your proposing all ready exists!
      Bahá'u'lláh created his religion during the 1800s in an attempt to reconcile all of the monotheistic faiths.

They're not doing too badly, either!
      Their membership doubled in size in the last 30 years, getting close to 8 million adherents.

August 5, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

@J.W
      But you would choose to go to a movie or jogging because you were bored or something. You would choose this because of everything that is going on around you and everything that has happened to you in the past. You will definately do one thing, maybe jogging because your brain needs more of the endorphines released when you joh, or to a movie, because you were getting fed up with sitting at home. Either way, it's due to all your surroundings becoming an input for your brain to handle and it's telling you to do something.

You may think you chose to do that thing, but in reality, you did it, then you said you chose that over something else. The action comes first, then the thought that it was your idea.

August 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • J.W

Really? I did not know that Doc. I will have to read more about them. Thanks.

August 5, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • J.W

What about if you plan to do something ahead of time? Then the thought did occur first, and usually there would be enough time to change your mind.

August 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Atheist

You may have thought of it ahead of time, but when the time comes to do it, it will come down to what's going on at that moment whether or not it gets done. This thing that you thought of ahead of time will most likely be for you in your best interest and therefore make you feel good. And feeling good is just the release of chemicals in the brain. You may think you planned it, but in reality, your brain thought it needed more of these chemicals and it will make you do something to get them. If you do the thing you planned or not.

August 5, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Disagree

Good Job you all religous people.. You don't just attack the people of different faiths and atheists, but also people of your faith if they even utter the word "Peace with others". I can see this going a loooooong way – to where? I am sure you know!

August 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • J.W

I might act on something because it feels good, but is it impossible that I could do something that didnt feel good. I could punch myself in the face or stab myself with a pen, even though it doesnt feel good. Maybe I know that I need to go to the grocery store but I stay home and watch tv instead. Just because your brain tells you that you should do something doesnt mean that you cannot act against those feelings.

August 5, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Atheist

You can't act against those feelings. If I put some electrodes at the right spots in your brain, not only could I make you do anything I wanted to, I could make you enjoy it and want me to continue doing it.

We're all just animals, as humans we're just better at saying 'if I do this later then I'll feel better than if I do this now" Or "If I endure this pain now, then I'll feel better later"

August 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • J.W

Well I guess I have never had someone try to do that to me, so I cant say that you couldnt. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on the other part.

August 5, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Atheist

That's fine, but I would recommend looking into it a bit more. It changes your view on life, and if you're religious then it will probably change your view on that too.

August 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Atheist

---–
      Okay creepy meter is going off lol

August 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm |

@ ACTS
      I know that's creepy. It's what goes on in that book that I mentioned earlier. (Neuropath by R. Scott Bakker). It's an odd book. But like I said, all the science in it is real, even if the story isn't.

August 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • SeanNJ

How's this for something to cook your noodle: if determinism is true, then arguing for/against free will is pointless, because you didn't choose your position, and you're powerless to change it.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

August 5, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Of course, you're powerless to stop arguing against it too. Woohoo!

August 5, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Atheist

@ ACTS

----–
      It just read creepy the way you stated it. lol I believe it can be real since we are bodies of engergy and electrical impulses. What is interesting is how our brains form as children by our enviroment. It actually has a physical impact (mapping of our brain). very interesting.

August 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |

@SeanNJ

I know... deep right?

August 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Would we never had a Picasso if he had grew up differently etc and so on??

August 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Atheist: Precisely!

You realize though, that I couldn't agree with you unless I was supposed to... 🙂

August 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm |

@ ACTS
      I guess it was creepy haha

But one of my favorite quotes from that book is from when two friends are watching TV with one of their kids and it goes something like this "Your child's brain is being rewired by signals from space" Which is true, especially if you have satellite TV.

August 5, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • Azaam Salem

Thats making up a religion. You can't just make up a religion as most religions are now. It has to be revealed by God thru a prophet and all the laws have to be made by God.

August 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • J.W

Also, there are no two people who do the same thing all the time. So does that mean everybody has a different combination of chemicals?

August 5, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Atheist

@ ACTS
      I guess it was creepy haha

-----–
      Then after the hard wiring is complete from a child you spend the rest of your life dealing with conflicts that are adverse to what you know or think. Then you you spend the time trying to patch the defective wiring. Then you die.

August 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Atheist

exactly, if Picasso had grown up in a different area, or around different people, he probably wouldn't have painted, and if he did, they would probably be nothing like the paintings he did.

August 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm |

@ J.W
      well, you never find two people that are exactly alike, it's because they have different chemicals in their brain. Even if they did do everything together, most of the time their brains are a little different anyways just because of genetics.

August 5, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

J.W

--------–
      I disagree, my other personality is always present when I am doing things.

August 5, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • J.W

So I guess you know what you have to do Atheist to prove your theory. You must genetically engineer two people with exactly the same chemical make up and place them in the same environment. If your theory is correct, they will always do exactly the same thing.

August 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Laughing

The question on everyones mind Atheist is, you say that if you prodded my bain with electrolytes you could make me feel and do whatever you liked right? Well who's controlling my brain right now? Is my brain controlling itself? Isn't that like asking a robot to turn itself on and give itself commands?

I fear that bleeds too much into philosophy, but couldn't you be right that the science behind action is simply chemical, but there has to be a controller, some.......thing using your brain as a conduit yeah?

August 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • David

Thats a very nice idea, but not practical.. Judaism and Christianity work on many of the same concepts of how to live, but belief is a whole other deal. Jews do not accept Jesus as Messiah or G-d incarnate and the idea is heretical, as it is in Islam, though in Islam, Jesus is the Messiah, but not G-d.

Instead of saying we have to make one super religion, or one culture, what we should do is really work on just living with each other, appreciating each other. Just because there's a holiday, doesn't mean we have to convert or submit to that person's religion, just live, learn and get beyond who's religion is right or wrong.

August 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Atheist

If you ever heard of the Three faces of Eve, it's a true story about a woman who had multiple personalities and it was extreme enough that some of the personalities would have allergic reactions to some things that the others wouldn't. It's because there was such a change in the chemical composition in her body that it changed what she was allergic to.

And when that other personality was in charge, there was nothing the original personality could do about it, no matter how much it may have wanted the others to not take over her mind, she couldn't do anything about it.

August 5, 2011 at 5:31 pm |

@ laughing
      Nothing is controlling it now. It's acting on it's own trying to get responses.

Reading this thread, your brain said "that's not true" and it's trying to prove me wrong through you to make itself feel better about the idea that it is in control. I would much rather be in control of my body, but in reality the brain is in complete control and there isn't anything I can do about it.

August 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Atheist

Someone posted this on a different thread but it really pertains to what we're talking about here. Take a look and see what you think.

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4nwTTmcgs&w=640&h=360]

August 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • OnLooker

Let's not forget Jesus' two greatest commandments: love God and love others as you love yourself. That is what Christianity is truly all about.

August 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • Nonimus

No doubt that chemicals, neurology, and environment play a huge part in how we act, however there is such a thing as "complexity" in a scientific sense, in that even though segments of a system may be predictable at a certain level complex systems become unpredictable, such as in the NP-complete problem, or informally in an "AI complete" problem, which are not insolvable per se, but are improbably difficult to solve. Add to that the effects of truly random or chaotic factors from things like radiation, cosmic rays, weather, etc. and, while you still might argue predictability given sufficient resources, I think it would be impossible to prove in a mathematical sense, and effectively useless in any but a theoretical sense.
      IMO

August 5, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
    • Atheist

Well, I'm off, have other things to do today so I won't be responding anymore tonight, but I do recommend looking more into this if you still haven't been convinced.

Just a question though. If there is no free will, is there a soul? And without a soul, can God really exist?

August 5, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • Wzrd1

There is great commonality for all three faiths. First, Islam believes in the Torah and Talmud, Jews and Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet. Hence, his teachings are valuable and the word of God.
      The parting of the ways only comes regarding whether or not Jesus is the son of God. And Islam's prophet being a prophet.
      Because, to Muslims, Allah, which is simply Arabic for God, is the God of Abraham, one of both Judaism's and Islam's greatest prophets and father of both groups, Jews and Arabs.
      When removed from areas where great polarization is present, all three religions tend to get along famously.
      It's the idiots of all three faiths that cause problems.

August 5, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  13. surprised

This is a post about Jews for their community...

Leave it to the Athiests to hijac this topic and spew venon on Christians...

August 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • William Demuth

Stop trying to budy up with the Jews

They hate you more than we do.

And they really insist that Jesus has his earth ending war somewhere other than Maggido (or Boca Raton)

August 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • surprised

he...he...he, i gotcha. I am Buddhist

August 5, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Ryan in Michigan

Looks like little Willy has no reply to that one. It figures. He only bashes Christians. Typical, selective, hypocritcal Atheism at its' finest.

August 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • Pauline

There is no real Western Buddhists(except the ones who became monks and nuns). They are hedonists.

August 6, 2011 at 2:35 am |
    • pfeffernusse

Well, at least you'e an equal opportunity hater.

August 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  14. William Demuth

Hey fruit loop Truth

Answer a single question with a one word answer for me.

Does a good Jew, an honorable Jew, a moral Jew go to hell because he dosen't worship Jesus?

Yes or no? Your answer will speak VOLUMES about your faith.

August 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Laughing

Of course he does dumby, but the good news is that since the jews were the first ones around and don't believe in hel.l he's golden, he just better hopes he dies directly after Yom Kippur, so he can do whatever he wants and then god HAS to forgive him on that day because god said he would ,and god never breaks his promises......right?..........right?

August 5, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

According to the Bible, there's 144,000 Jews that get free passes into Heaven – no Jesus required.

August 5, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Pauline

@Willie, your question is wrong. There is no such thing as good or moral Jews; neither good humans. All are da-mned sinners and everyone needs Jesus to be saved from the eternal sin penalty. Secular Jews go to hell for sure according to Torah. @Doc-, The number of Jews in Revelation can be symbolic. Also, those 144,000 are not an exclusive number for Jews of all time.

August 6, 2011 at 2:30 am |
    • Pauline

The Hebrews, Jews got saved by believing in the oncoming Messiah(Jesus). He was once in Jerusalem as a gentle, sacrificial Savior, this time mighty and victorious King and Judge, all according to the prophesies of the Bible.

August 6, 2011 at 2:33 am |
  15. Doc Vestibule

@Pauline
    How is stating historical fact a form of ignorance?
    Anyways.

When thinking of people who did good things, I would say that Dr. Salk's discovery of the polio vaccine would qualify as a good thing from recent history.
    What religion do you think Salk was?

August 5, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • William Demuth

Who was a famous doctor who was Zoroastrian?

I'll take religin for 200 dollars.

August 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • GodPot

could it be... Dr. Evil? Hmmmmm?

August 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Doc Vestibule

@Pauline
      How is stating historical fact a form of ignorance?
      Anyways.

What religion do you think Salk was?

---------
      Because the facts go against her perception of truth.

August 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Pauline

Historic facts: The modern science developed only in the Christendom and the Christian missionaries spreaded the knowledge to every corner of earth. Atheists contributed none except mass murder of innocents and polluting the planet. Atheists are specialized in brutality and destruction.

August 6, 2011 at 2:23 am |
    • Q

August 6, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • Peace2All

@Pauline

You're the one making the claim, please site your specific reputable scientific sources, then we can talk.

Otherwise, you are just another zealot making wild claims based on nothing.

Peace...

August 6, 2011 at 2:28 am |
  16. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Pauline, Real Truth, Adelina, FairGarden
    Christians worship a zombie and do satan's bidding. Christians are the real cult.

August 5, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Pauline

Zombie does not exist. You watched too many stupid American movies.

August 6, 2011 at 2:25 am |
  17. TruthMatters

Stupid atheists always give the serious people hard time especially to the Jews. Atheists do nothing but mocking. Christians are the only humans in this world who love them and pray for them, wishing their best.

August 5, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • William Demuth

Huh?

You do know the Nazi's, who attempted to exterminate the Jews wer ALL Christian, and were alligned with the Vatican in Italy that had conducted PogRoms against the "Christ Killers" for centuries.

Do you also understand that Christianity damns ALL Jews to hell for not believing Christ was the Savior?

With freinds like that the Jews will all be dead within a century

August 5, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • TruthMatters

Willie, true Christians died to protect the Jews. Hitler killed off real Catholics and real Protestants. Nazis was defeated by the Christian America and Christian Britain. Everyone needs Jesus. The Jews are the safest with Christians.

August 5, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Laughing

Speaking as a jew I can mostly certainly say that if we wanted friends to help us out, christians are right behind the muslims. Once you convince christianity that a) we didn't kill jesus and should not be blamed and 2) we don't accept jesus because he didn't follow any of the ancient jewish prophacy that said who would be messiah, then maybe we could coexist more peaceful. I think right now we'll stick with the chinese, we love their food SO MUCH!

August 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • TruthMatters

@Laughing: So you are one of those evil, stupid secular Jews. Why don't you read your Torah and shut up? Why do you need to corrupt Americans who rescued Israel and protected her? The Book of Revelation has plenty prophecies against secular Jews. Stop your stupid laughing, idiot.

August 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • TruthMatters

Jesus fufilled more than 300 prophesies scattered all over the Jewish Bible. Jesus said that the Scripture was written about Himself because His is the Divine Messiah for the Jews. His life, death and resurrection proved His Messiah-ship.

August 5, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • Laughing

Read the torah actually I read it a bunch. Got Bar Mitzvahed, got confirmed did all those other dumb things to become a full member of judaism and am recognized in israel and such. I think I'm pretty well versed in the torah for the most part (expecially Leviticus, that was more torah AND halftorah portion!).

You know why christians are such big supporters of israel right? It's so they can bring on armegeddon, which is pretty sick if you ask me. Also, me corrupt americans? How so exactly? I agree, America is probably the best friend that America can have, what does that have to do with Christianity?

Also, what did those deluded ramblings have to say about secular jews? Are we going to burn along with everyone else? Good to know, just let me know when to mark my calander, I have kickball on tuesdays, so really any other day of the week is good by me for the apocolypse.

HA HA HA

August 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

TruthMatters

---------
      Starting with #1.....prove your zombie christ did this.

August 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • GodPot

"atheists always give the serious people hard time"

So have you found Manbearpig yet? I'm super serial, he must exist, I just know it!

Yes I am making fun of you, because it's obvious that truth doesn't really matter to you. If it did you would try to stick to known facts and verifiable evidence to support your view's instead of just hurling conjecture and poorly thought out religious theory that run's into logic blocks at every turn to which most Christians like yourself always reply "Well, even though that makes no sense, it must be true cause it's in the bible and we know, God is mysterious..."

August 5, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • William Demuth

Laughing

Welcome to the fray!

Secular Jews have a fatalisim a about them that is incredible. A wisdom from the ages.

I guess a few thousands years of the Christians trying to exterminate you gives you PLENTY of reason to be cynical!

Keep your eyes on them, I suspect they will try and kill you all again to facilitate their beloved Armageddeon.

August 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Laughing

@ Willy

What can I say, we somehow keep winning and that just keeps pis.sing people off. Jews at least try to be a lot more caut.ious nowadays when it comes to trusting their surroundings, its usually when things are best that something really shi.tty happens like.....you know.... the holocaust.

Growing up my favorite game was "would you hide me?" that I would play with the fam about all our friends, I will say this, as friendly as we were with a bunch of other people, only a small % actua.lly past mu.ster.

Believe me, we got the mos.sad, eld.ers of zion and everyone on the ground with eyes on the si.tuat.ion. They keep just dumping money on us and you know we can't ever say no to money (we LOVE IT SO MUCH!) but we know they're just trying to lul.l us into a sense of complacency and trying to start WWIII oop.... I mean armaged.don.

August 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Ryan in Michigan

@William Demuth – Right, the Nazis were all Christians. That's a good one. They burned Bibles, put Christians into labor camps along with Jews, Muslims, and many others (what did you think the Polish and French were, anyway?), and all in the name of your god, Natural Selection (Evolution) in their attempt to create the master race. Do some real learning before you post, genius.

August 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
    • Eric G

@Ryan in Michigan: Most, but probably not all Nazi's were Christian, but Hitler was. Of all the Christian Nazi's, only one was excommunicated by the Catholic Church. Joseph Goebbels, the minister of propoganda for the Nazi party was excommunicated by the RCC..................... because he married a Protestant.

August 5, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • beth

Truthmatters–since truth does matter I will say you are 100% wrong that Jesus met the prophesies of the Jewish bible (similar but *different* in important ways from your Old Testament.) If you at read the Torah you would know that there is NO WAY Jesus would have been considered the Messiah by the Jews because there are things he did not do and things that did not happen that should have if he were. I don't even know if Jesus really existed. There is no record of him during his life time and no proof any of the things in your New Testament even happened. It could be all a story told by one person. By the way, if it is true that Jews go to hell then your Jesus and your Mary, etc are right there with my ancestors because they were as Jewish as Jewish could be.

August 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  18. William Demuth

I wonder how the brothers in the big D feel about a zionist invasion?

Look at Atlantic City NJ, the rich gays moved in, and the brothers are FREAKING out.

The streets are like Crusing and Shaka Zulu being run throught the same projector.

August 5, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Peace2All

@Willy D.

*(facepalm)... Ahhh.... Big Willy, I love to start my mornings off by reading one of your postings. Your postings are in general, incredibly brilliant, and often coupled with a dash of, well... let's just call it controversial 'trimmings' 😯 that make me just LOL !! 😀

Again, other than the calls to harm the religious wing-nuts (which you have stated you are speaking in jest), which I'm not for, your postings are typically spot-on and... funny.

Don't leave this blog, we would be losing that Willy D. spark !

Regards,

Peace...

August 5, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • William Demuth

I am your humble servant

(R U female by any chance?)

August 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Willy D.

LOL ! No, sorry bro... I'm definitely a 'dude'.

Regards,

Peace...

August 5, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
  19. Reality

Recognizing the flaws, follies and frauds in the foundations of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, the "bowers", kneelers" and "pew peasants" are converging these religions into some simple rules of life. No koran, bible, clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion or priests needed or desired.

Ditto for houses of "worthless worship" aka mosques, churches, basilicas, cathedrals, temples and synagogues.

August 5, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  20. Pauline

The Jewish groups should cultivate the Arctic instead of doing this. What is finished is finished. We must let things go. They'll have nice museums in a few decades. I hope Detroit still has good churches. A lot of non-Americans would do anything to be allowed to live in Detroit, USA.

August 5, 2011 at 4:12 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I'm a non-american and you couldn't pay me to live in Detroit.
      And while there are literally no Jews in Nunavut, there are a handful in the Northwest Territories.
      Why don't you go on a mission to convert the Inuit, Pauline?
      I'll buy you a toque if you promise to stay up there until they all accept Christ.

August 5, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • Laughing

Cultivate the Arctic? Really? It isn't enough that most jews have to literally make the desert flower in the Middle East, but now you want them to go to ANOTHER desert so they can start from scratch? Why do you hate jewish people?

August 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • William Demuth

Doc!

You are not an American?

Wow I didn't see that coming.

SO do you wear a touk?

August 5, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • Pauline

@Doc-, Inuits are always better-off than mainlanders, no worries. It's American and Canadian hedonists who need the Gospel with responsibility the most nowadays. Canada is another Christian nation birthed by Christians. @Laughing, I love the Jews. They always have brains to bring things out from nowhere.

August 5, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Pauline
      Mainlanders? The Inuit don't live on an island.
      Unfortunately, they have all but lost their traditional way of life –
      like every other indiginous culture touched by christians.
      While they had very little in the way of material possessions, witnesses as late as the 1960s attest to the fact that they were amongst the happiest people they'd ever encountered.
      What little they had, they would share with anyone – and that included spouses!
      But now, thanks to christian missionaries coming to "save" them, they are plagued by alcoholism, guilt, divorce, and imposed notions of cultural inferiority and poverty.

August 5, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Peace2All

@Doc V.

Rock-on brother ! Didn't know that you your were up near the Arctic? Are you anywhere -Alert ?

Interesting, Doc V...!

Regards,

Peace...

August 5, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Pauline

@Doc V-, you don't know much about Inuits. They are willing Christians where the churches are the center of their lives. Christians made the world civil, including Inuits. They halted the evil barbaric practices such as burning women alive and binding their feet or tossing infants to dogs and killing children as sacrifice, all over the world. Christians also gave agricultural advancement, medical care, schools, hospitals, orphanages – everything a civil society needs. Atheists don't care anything; you only massacred believers. And you just wait humans to die off because you believe the planet is over-populated.

August 5, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Peace2All
      I'm not crazy enough to live up north!
      As for alert – I'm grateful I was never posted up there. 🙂
      My father was a SARTech and used to teach arctic survival in the 70's. He learned a great deal from the locals.
      Though he is Catholic, I was blessed by an Inuit shaman friend of his at birth.
      As far back as I can recall, I've been aware of and saddened by the exctinction of traditional Inuit culture.

August 5, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Pauline
      Quit talking out of your @$$.
      Christians have a long history of torturing and killing women, including burning them at the stake.
      Foot binding was a Chinese practice that only stopped when the Communists came to power in the middle of the 20th century.
      Christianity had NOTHING to do with its cessation – though the Muslims in southern China denounced the practice.
      Aside from the Inca and Aztec civilizations (which here DESTROYED by Christians), there is little or no archeological evidence for widespread child sacrifice.
      In fact, of the few historical references that do exist, several are found in the Bible (the King of Moab and Jephthah's dauther).
      As for agricultural advancement – even God Himself can't grow a crop in the arctic tundra.
      Medical care and schools came to the arctic along with Canada's other secular governmental insti.tutions.
      Orhpanages were not needed amongst the Inuit and tribes took care of their own.

August 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Pauline

Doc, now you are ignorant on the world history. Nobody did any good except for Christians. The Christian missionaries did every good thing for everyone. Canada belongs to Christianity and go back to your barbaric European forest.

August 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Atheist

I honestly cannot tell if Pauline is joking or not....

I would hope that she is, but I just can't tell.

August 5, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • pfeffernusse

Pauline is her new name for today. She changes her name every couple of days to make it look like more people agree with her. But her song of “Atheists Are Evil, Ee-I Ee-I Oh!” is the same.

And she changes her name so often because she’s such a good, honest Christian.

August 5, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Pauline

I'm not joking. No one can refute the historical facts and data. I change my user names regularly because atheists hijack them. No atheist really condemns the evil actions of his fellow atheists. Atheists are evil both in communist countries and in the free world. You have no concept of honesty or honor because you deny your Creator God.

August 6, 2011 at 2:19 am |
    • pfeffernusse

“No one can refute the historical facts and data.”

You are correct. There is no disputing that the Earth is 4.55 billion years old (instead of 6,000). There is no disputing that modern humans have been on the planet for only 200,000 of those 4.55 billion years (instead of 6,000). And there is no disputing that the Abrahamic faiths (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) are just the most recent in a long, long history of human belief. Dating back much longer than 6,000 years.

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. – Matthew 18:21-22

You are REQUIRED, as a Christian, to love and forgive all atheists. Bearing false witness is not loving. Spreading lies is not forgiving. Calling your brothers and sisters evil is in direct violation of Jesus’ mandate to you. Because we are brothers and sisters, Pauline (or whatever your name is today), even though it pains me to admit it.

If you want people to have a good impression of Christianity, you have to be the example. On these boards, you have not been. You’ve been the voice for everything wrong with Christianity. The lying, the hypocrisy, the judging. That is what you represent of Jesus. Is that how you want people to view Christ?

August 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • J.W

I am pretty sure that Bonnie is one of her other names

August 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • pfeffernusse

J.W, yep. Joseph has a coat of many colors. Pauline is our lady of many names.

August 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm |