home
RSS
My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann
Author Alisa Harris, left, and Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
August 14th, 2011

My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann

Editor's Note: Alisa Harris lives in New York City and is the author of the forthcoming Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith From Politics.

By Alisa Harris, Special to CNN

I could have become Michele Bachmann.

Reading a recent Bachmann profile in The New Yorker felt like attending an awkward cocktail party with former best friends whom I now stalk on the internet but haven’t spoken to in years.

The story describes Bachmann’s influences - including figures like Francis Schaeffer and David Noebel, who most Americans have never heard of but who are superstars in conservative Christian circles - and I found them all familiar faces from my childhood as a culture warrior.

Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll

These are people Bachmann admires and people I once admired, too.

Bachmann began trying to combat the influence of liberals and secular humanists after encountering Francis Schaeffer’s 1970s’-era video series "How Should We Then Live," a plea to reclaim Western institutions from the corruption of secularism.

I watched the series with my parents as a child

Bachmann served on the board of directors for Summit Ministries, which sponsors conferences and institutes aimed at equipping evangelicals with a Christian worldview. I attended Summit Ministries’ Student Worldview Conference as a 15-year-old.

On the first night of the program, I sat rapt through a talk about a Christian dress code that spelled out the width of the shoulder straps I was permitted to wear, which was not a problem for me because I had brought only oversized Republican campaign t-shirts and shorts that were styled for a 35-year-old mom.

They gave us a handy worldview chart that had a vertical column for every area of life - economics, politics, pyschology, law - and a horizontal column that showed how Muslims, humanists, Marxists and New-Agers were wrong on every count.

The program’s leaders said that the Bible calls for limited government, and that God’s law and nature’s law were good foundations for a legal system. The Christian believes the free enterprise system to be more compatible with his worldview than other economic systems, I learned.

One night, the Summit Ministries instructors showed us a film whose central premise was that anal sex spreads awful diseases.

Terrified of all sex, I clenched my fists and closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep like the boy up the aisle, who nodded off every day.

I developed a trembling crush on the boy I sat next to but squelched the attraction because the Summit speakers told me it was admirable to forgo romance and holding hands until engagement. We played card games instead.

I emerged from Summit finding that my fervor to stop abortion had grown from a disagreeable duty to an outright passion. I bought pro-life t-shirts.

When I came back filled with worldview fervor, I read a book co-authored by David Noebel, the Summit Ministries leader whose writings Bachmann recommended.

It rumbled apocalyptic warnings that humanists, from the NAACP to the Rockefeller Foundation to the National Council of Churches, were conspiring to build a one-world socialist order. I began to secretly find Noebel a little bit kooky.

Still, my family purchased his curriculum and submitted our homeschool speech and debate class to a rigorous worldview training. I took worldview quizzes that graded my ability to reflexively respond to all questions with answers about the Christian worldview of limited government and free enterprise.

I aced the quizzes. I had memorized it all and could spit it back.

Bachmann worked for John Eidsmoe, a man who argued the southern states had a “constitutional right to secede,” and she admired the writing of J. Steven Wilkins, who said that slaves led a “comfortable, though — by modern standards—spare existence.”

Throughout my high school years, I soldiered along with an organization that ran religio-political boot camps populated with ardent Southerners who still possessed Confederate money and auctioned it off - to frenzied bidding - at camp auctions.

The students and staff said the same thing Eidsmoe did. The Civil War wasn’t about racism, they argued, but state’s rights and freedom.

But by the time I heard these arguments, they enraged me. While competing in a home school speech tournament during high school, I wrote a speech that called on public school students to commit acts of civil disobedience by praying in public schools.

In my research I discovered Martin Luther King, Jr., a model of nonviolent resistance and the leader of a movement that seemed to me so just and Christian in the face of laws so clearly evil.

Seeing pictures of Southern police officers using a fire hose to flay the clothes and skin off of teenage civil rights protesters, I became livid at anyone who praised the virtue of the Confederacy or of the Jim Crow South.

Over the years I began to doubt what I’d been taught — that we could find in the Bible the final answers to our questions about the minutiae of 21st century tax policy and the path to economic growth. I saw Christians yell at gay activists, obsess over sex, and enforce ideological purity instead of reducing abortions or helping the poor.

I began to think that our Christian duty was not to make our country’s laws conform to our private morality but to heal the broken-hearted and bind up their wounds.

The political principles I now embrace - human equality, human dignity, and human rights — align less with Schaeffer and more with King, who not only marched for civil rights for African-Americans but also launched the Poor People’s Campaign and fought for the economic rights of all, black and white.

These principles come from a Christian passion for justice but are not, like Bachmann’s worldview, exclusive to Christianity. I have abandoned neither politics nor my Christian faith but the idea of a “worldview” where all spiritual questions have political answers, and all political problems have spiritual solutions.

Newsweek’s latest cover calls Bachmann the “Queen of Rage.” I can testify to the rage her beliefs inspire, a rage that is focused inward - on protecting the sanctity of an iron-clad worldview, battling all the heretics who dare to believe something different, and seeing life from the bunker of a besieged and victimized faith.

I still have some rage, but it’s no longer focused on the secular humanists and tax-collectors. The rage exists on behalf of our wounded world, at the suffering of the poor and the exploitative practices of the rich and powerful. It’s exactly what the Old Testament prophets bellow at me to do.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alisa Harris.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Michele Bachmann • Opinion • Politics

soundoff (1,502 Responses)
  1. pop

Abortion.... Socialism is design to get rid of disability children. Abortion is the choice for the people. There are families out there can't afford themselves: Healthcare, food, jobs, etc. They have to cut future child birth and use marxist theory. Marxist theory works. In U.S dollar says "In God We Trust". Oh boy..religion doesn't work in marxist theory.

August 14, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Howie76

Articulate what you mean. Who can follow this jibberish?

August 14, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • pop

Who can follow this jibberish?

pseudoscience; eugenics, socialist party, marxism, evolutionist.

August 14, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Matt

How exactly does Christianity endorse Capitalism? It seems to me that the Golden Rule, love your neighbor as you love yourself, is much more socialist than capitalist.

August 14, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Howie76

Did you pass the 10th grade? Your not real bright and cannot even follow a subject. Another brain washed tea bag. Which means you should never draw social (the bad word to you) security less you be the hypocrite you are. Oh wait! your probably old any way and already getting it. So give it back.

August 14, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • pop

Howie76 = Teaparty....

August 14, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • El Kababa

And our tax money goes to support a Social Security Welfare Loafer like Pop. Maybe the Conservatives are right about Social Security.

August 14, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Howie76

Pop. I am a liberal and you call me a tea bag????Grow a brain since the zombies ate yours.

August 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • jms

An amazing debate going on right now at http://www.ufeud.com/debate.aspx?ID=42
      Its 46% to 54% in favor of....

August 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  2. Lisa

Very good story and makes me feel encouraged that people steeped in this hateful "worldview" can rise above it. What about those who haven't? Is there any way to help them to see the light? Would love to read more on that aspect.

August 14, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  3. ARMANDO

No doubt that all of these Republicans are getting money from the right wing ELITE (The Very rich ), the same Americans that own part of the money that U.S.A is borrowing . These politicians never will tell the true.They are dogs from the same owner. If the government wants to create jobs, they have to tax (TARIFF) the cheap products entering our country .The second thing to do is to tax the super-rich. The third thing to do is to try to do something to stop this evil economy (empirelisum ) and understand that everything that is ruled by the concept of PROFIT AND LOSES is diabolic. The economic were the small corporation are the bigger producers (CAPITALISM) and the ones that produces jobs. Small business have really owners with hearts and souls. I believe that most of the money in the world is under control of SATAN. Most politicians are scared of saying the truth .They know their progress is not there. One example of an honest politician was ( WAS) Paul Wellstone. One morning in the middle of his political campaign to be reelected U.S senator representing the state of Minnesota.he was kill mysteriously. Did you hear any truth lately .If you are expecting so ,sit down and wait and do not lose your patience.

August 14, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  4. ChumBucket

Ok, let's see if I got this right.

When Obama said that he embraced marxism, and felt the most comfortable around other marxists and communists, with communist mentors, and personal friend such as Ayers (terrorist) and Dorn (terrorist), we are not suposed to talk about any of that, right?

But, this story, a story about Michelle Bachmann, and her faith, oh, we can riddicule and mock that, CNN, and all you liberals who are posting here, your hypocracy is showing.

August 14, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • LonelyLoner

I wonder what it is like to live in such ignorance of reality. You should enlighten me.

August 14, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Howie76

Did you finish high school??

August 14, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • El Kababa

What about Gingrich when he said he would kill all the Jews?

What about when Bachman said she would put all Catholics in Concentration Camps until they Converted to Evangelical Protestantism?

What about when Romney said that when he was President, Mormons would be exempt from Income Tax?

What about when Palin said that she hoped Conservative militiamen should storm the Democratic Convention with assault rifles and grenades?

What about your previous posts where you wrote that all American college professors should be summarily executed and all universites boarded up?

Do you think we should talk about those things too?

August 14, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • RationalFew

Chumbucket you need to change the channel. Glen Beck is giving you a brain tumor.

August 14, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  5. Cyn

*smh* I'm reading these comments & they have little to nothing to do w the article. At days end, Elephant/Donkey/NoAnimal, are YOU SELFISH or SELFLESS? Are YOU changing the world one person @ a time or waiting for SOMEONE else to do it FOR you? Do you ASPIRE to help others or CONSPIRE against others?

Too bad it's easier to ramble than to take stock & correct oneself.

August 14, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  6. Luke

Alisa:

Bachmann has protested at abortion clinics. I was attending abortion protests when I was still too young to hold a sign or even walk."

The fact that you said you attended abortion protests at such a young an influential age says a lot about your upbringing, parents and the indoctrination effect on children. It's rather shameful. Has it ever occurred to you that you are pro-life because your parents and elders around you made you be that way rather than developing an opinion all on your own?

August 14, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Rosalind Franklin

*eyeroll* I'm pretty sure she's fully aware of the fact that her upbringing had everything to do with her initial beliefs, and by rebelling against the worldview she talks about, I think she's shown she's quite capable of making up her mind independently about things like abortion, without experiencing bias from her parents. The ENTIRE point of the article was about how she was raised vs. how she came to think differently about everything. And FYI, it's possible to be "pro-life" or, if you prefer a different term, anti-abortion, without any influence from anyone whatsoever. Personally, I never read or heard much about abortion except from "pro-choice" people...and their arguments struck me as having the fatal flaw of ignoring the fact that there's another body involved beyond merely the woman's. I'm not comfortable with outlawing abortion entirely, but I am nonetheless opposed to abortion in most situations. Reasonable, educated, intelligent, feminist, and otherwise liberal people can hold that belief, you know.

August 14, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Howie76

Not real bright are you??

August 14, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Beebopbelle

Excellent, Rosalind, thanks!

August 14, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  7. Bill Sr.

Fact: Barack Obama is the crown prince of the liberal progressives in this country and represents their collective view of society.
    Fact: Barack Obama affirmed THREE TIMES that a child serviving selective abortion and born alive is not a personage of its own and does not deserve medical attention to preserve its life.
    It this, the poorest of the poor, the most helpless of human souls sruggling for life can not find mercy within the hearts of
    the leaders of "social justice" "humanist" and the bleeding heart liberals who elevated Obama to their throne NOTHING WILL. The truth is they only want to play God in this life which is no more than a game to them among the highest developed spieces on the planet.

August 14, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • El Kababa

Bill, you are a liar.

1. I'm a Liberal. Barack Obama is a Centrist, like Clinton, much to my disappointment. He does not represent Liberalism
      2. Barack Obama never said – and you knew you were lying when you typed it – that any child is undeserving of life.
      3. Like Bachman, you have a psychological problem, not a political problem

August 14, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • David Liao

When did Obama say that? Do you have the quotations or at least when and where he said it?

More to the point, Obama is not the "crown prince" of anything. He's been criticized MORE by liberals than by conservatives for being too centrist and too Republican but you wouldn't know that if you didn't read actual news sources.

August 14, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • veripath

See: http://online.worldmag.com/author/alisaharris/

Church in crisis

Religion | In Europe, both the church and the state have responded better to the Catholic abuse scandal than they did in America, but big problems remain | Alisa Harris

Miss Harris is a Christian writer who is as anti- abortion and child abuse as any. Her article attempts to explain how she grew up in an environment like Bachmann but saw a dissonance in the teachings of those leaders.

Also: Down-shifting GEAR

United Nations | Pro-life activists gather to fight a proposed international, billion-dollar, pro-abortion agency | Alisa Harris

NEW YORK—Just days before Meryl Streep swished across the Academy Awards red carpet in a white dress, she came to the United Nations in a gray suit and glasses and lent her expressive voice to a plea for women's rights. "Women should not have to wait," she said before introducing Sarah Jones, who took the stage and said in a British accent that she was nervous about speaking before the distinguished body: "I thought a very civilized British accent might kick things off with a bang."

August 14, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Lisa

Your facts are NOT facts. Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true. Please, as a citizen, it is your civic duty to be more skeptical of what you read.

August 14, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Howie76

TEA BAG TROLL

August 14, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  8. tricia

Fabulous. What I love the most is my conclusion that you outgrew Bachman's beliefs about the time you were 13. If all Christians were like you, I think I would embrace Christianity with my whole heart.

August 14, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  9. Doug in AZ

Perhaps the dumbest headline ever. who on earth is this article aimed at? I see many comments insulting various categories of readers -but the insults should be aimed at a no-body who declares she could have been a somebody.

August 14, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • Beebopbelle

. . . . um, don't think you get it.

August 14, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  10. Marsha

Good commentary. Its good to know some of the sources of the ideaology many of us moderates find so strange.

August 14, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • ChumBucket

Know the sources for Christian ideology?

You're kidding, right?

The Bible maybe??

August 14, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • RationalFew

Chumbucket must be one of them. Because none of this is in my Catholic bible.

August 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  11. pop

I want Alisa Harris future babies. Her ideology is brilliant!!! I like to marry her too.

August 14, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  12. El Kababa

Here is the moral code of the Libertarian or economic Conservative. There is no more Anti-Christian moral code than this.

1. All for me and nothing for anyone else is my goal – or as close as I can come in one lifetime.

2. Other people's welfare and happiness are not of interest to me. Others will either make themselves happy or they will suffer. Either way, I don’t care.

3. I have what I've got because I deserve it. I was not caught breaking any laws getting it. If I have to bribe a Congressman to change the laws so my methods become legal or bribe a judge to find me innocent, that is OK. You are innocent until found guilty. Legal is legal. Business is business.

4. I have no obligation of any kind to my nation or any nation I do business with. During wartime, I will get a lucrative government contract if I can but my goal is to maximize profits, not help in the war effort.

5. I have no obligation to my employees. They are on their own, just like I am. They get what they deserve from me or they wouldn’t work for me. Employees are a cost of doing business. The lower the cost, the better. If I can cut my employees’ pay and they don’t quit, then that means they deserve less.

6. I have no obligation to my customers except to conduct business with them in a lawful way. If I can manipulate their thoughts with clever advertising, deceive them with clever small print in the contract, or give them less than they think they are getting, then good for me. Clever is clever. Business is business. I have an MBA and a staff of marketing experts, legal experts, economists, and accountants advising me. My customer has a high school diploma. If my customer wants to, she can hire her own panel of experts to advise her.

7. I have no obligation to enhance the quality of life in my community, my state or my nation. I do not wish to pay any taxes but I do want the law to protect my interests and maximize my profits. I want the government to help me make more money in every way it can. I want good roads for my trucks to run on, but I really don't care about roads that my trucks do not use. I don’t want to be taxed for road building or repairs whether my trucks use them or not. I can pollute the air, ground, and water as much as is legally allowed. If I can bribe a congressman to write a law allowing me to pollute more, then I will pollute more; it cuts my costs. Legal is legal. Business is business

8. It is often good business to subvert the democratic processes of my nation by bribing elected officials, bribing government regulators, running bogus candidates for office to split up the opposing vote, secretly running candidates for judgeships who I know will rule in my favor in an upcoming lawsuit, and secretly funding a lot of whackos out there to keep a lot of street theater going. Business is business.

Satanists are closer to Christianity than are economic Conservatives.

August 14, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • Beebopbelle

Brilliantly said. This is precisely how the Republicans who tanked the economy think even as out of the other side of their mouths they're gassing on and on about their Christian values. This is how Rick Perry operates - and Rick Scott, and frankly, most Republican leaders.

August 14, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • Kay

Creative post.. I respect your right to your opinion, but have never met anyone close to the discription you wrote about. Maybe you have friends that reflect this opinion?

August 14, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • RationalFew

Sound like the republican creed.

August 14, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  13. RationalFew

Back to Alisa Harris. Great article, very enlightening. Most christian's are very much alike and share the same values. However, most christians just assume politicians like Bachman share their values because they are devout christians. This piece illustrates that some versions of the christian faith do not share the same values at all. I became aware of that when my daughter visited an evangelical church a few years ago and was told she would go to hell for being catholic.

August 14, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • Kay

Christians do not agree on most things. It's the same for a Republican or Democrat. You can have a label as an outline, but it's contents can very. The common bond for Christians is the belief in God and the bond of having faith. Neither of these things can cause harm to this country.

August 14, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  14. Colin

Dee and Herbert Juarez – both of you have taken issue with my characterization of Christian theology as "Bronze Age mythology from the Middle east" but neither of you have explained why it is wrong. It developed in the Bronze and Iron Age Middle East and was compiled during the Dark Ages by the Catholic Church (or perhaps even BEFORE the Dark Ages, depending on which historical definition of the Dark Ages one uses).

So, what did I get wrong?

August 14, 2011 at 9:21 am |
    • El Kababa

I must disagree with you. Christianity was invented by Constantine in the 4th century when he ordered a Bible assembled and a uniform enforceable theology. The scholars of what was to become the Christian Church put together a carefully selected set of books and then derived from it – via some real intellectual hoop-jumping – a theology that the Jesus who was crucified in Jerusalem would not recognize.

August 14, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  15. Beebopbelle

It's no surprise that many of those criticizing this piece are confused about exactly what it is - a personal opinion essay. But the inability to discern the difference between news and commentary, fact and opinion is only one of the enormously harmful results of religious indoctrination of the sort described here.

This *is* very helpful to those of us who cannot imagine where Bachmann's ludicrous views come from, and why any sane adult would hold them. It also shows not only the the power of free information, the kind that saved this young woman from the blinders she was forced to wear at an early age, but why the religious right wants to remove that freedom.

Thanks and kudos to this brave and clear-thinking author.

August 14, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • Ijiwaru Sensei

But your response is part of the problem. It simply dismisses as "ludicrous" and insane views opposed to your own. Every accusation Alissa Harris makes could just as easily be made against the left as well–ideological purity tests, rage, embracing victimhood. These are as common with the left as they are with the religious right.

August 14, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • El Kababa

Sensei, when you hear something that is clearly insane, how do YOU describe it. Examples:
      1. I was abducted by a UFO and was told that I am to become King of Earth.

2. My great-uncle Lewis saw a burning bush in a pasture on his dairy farm. A voice from the Bush told him to switch from hay to alfalfa.

3. If we lower taxes on the rich just ONE MORE TIME, it will create jobs.

4. Obama is spending more per day on his trip to Asia than we're spending per day in Iraq and Afghanistan.

5. The government is assembling 'Death Panels' and is planning to snuff out old people.

Give me an adjective beside 'insane' that I can use, according to you.

August 14, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Beebopbelle

No, "Sensei," I don't dismiss every idea that is different from my own as ludicrous or insane. I disagree with a lot of conservative thinking but I don't think it's ludicrous or insane. Bachmann exhibits a level of disconnect from reality and a desire to hurt people that I think is just plain pathological.

And yes, one can be a nutcase for the left, too - they're definitely out there. But the notion that ALL liberals or ALL conservatives are crazy is more prevalent among those who have been brainwashed by religion from an early age. They cannot think in nuances, they cannot admit to any other possible point of view, and that means they cannot successfully connect with reality.

August 14, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  16. Vinny

Keep it up liberal Media. You pretend to believe in feminism and equality but then you mercilessly attack Conservative woman and Black conservatives to no end. It's disgusting and it's why in the end you will lose. Have fun crying in 2012 when Obama is fired. I'm not even the biggest fan of Bachman but I hope she wins just to make all of your liberal heads explode

August 14, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • Beebopbelle

Speaking as a liberal, neither I nor anyone I know or read is attacking Bachmann because she's a woman. She's a duped, seriously disturbed, brainwashed human being, and far-right fundamentalism does this harm to all genders. Stop playing the gender card, as you and your ilk are wont to say.

August 14, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • El Kababa

Oh Holy Father,
      Cursed are the poor, for they payeth not income taxes and sucketh up my hard earned money.
      Cursed are the young, for they want child health clinics and good schools.
      Cursed are the old, for they wanteth medical care and addeth to the national debt.
      Cursed are the Samaritans and other minorities, for they hunger for justice, which is just too damn expensive. I promised my kids Ipods for Christmas.
      Cursed are the unemployed losers, who seek nought but welfare loafery.

Blessed are the billionaires, whose labors You have blessed. They will be with you in Heaven.

Blessed are the elected officials who take bribes from billionaires to support Conservatism and the New Testament, which are one and the same. They will be with you in Heaven.

Blessed are the suckers who vote Republican, for they enable the enforcement of Your Holy Will. They will not be with you in Heaven, which is a Gated Community, but they are useful in a democracy where majority rules. To hell with them. They are not important except on election day.
      In Thy Holy Name we pray,
      Amen

August 14, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • Sinfonian

You lost me at "liberal media."

(The media, including CNN and MSNBC - with the exception of about 3 hours of programming each day for the latter - haven't been "liberal" for decades. As soon as they were owned and controlled exclusively by Big Business, their realism - what you call "liberalism" - all but vanished.)

August 14, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • Kita

You know if it seems like we're constantly attacking Michele Bachmann, that's because she's the one who keeps putting hereslf out there front and center. To be perfectly honest I don't care for any of the Republican contenders and I'd probably be going after Pawlenty if he were more prominent. As it is, Bachmann's the one making the most noise, so she's getting the focus.

PS: I despise Romny as well 🙂

August 14, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Lisa

The criticism of Bachmann has ZERO to do with her being a woman. Did you READ the article?

Bachmann has a mindset that is comes from a dark place. The author is writing about being raised in an environment of the same kind of darkness.

August 14, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  17. John Richardson

Good article. The American Christian Right is creepy and a threat not just to this nation, but to the whole world.

August 14, 2011 at 9:16 am |
  18. Chad

Reading these responses...I now understand how the U.S. has enough stupid, ignorant people to elect someone like Barack Obama as President.

Sad.

August 14, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • Kita

You mean because there's an equal number of people out there who're stupid and ignorant enough to even consider Michele Bachmann?

August 14, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • farmerjane

Chad, think about a flower that opens up...........to GOD, to this universe...........try it.

August 14, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  19. Chad

So at what time will the hit piece on Rick Perry's faith be posted on CNN? You know it's coming...liberals are so predictable.

"The Most Trusted Name in News"....ha ha ha ha ha ha....yeah right.

August 14, 2011 at 9:15 am |
    • John from FL

This guy ladies and gentlemen is the reason we went through 8 years of economic self-destruction under Bush. Yeah lets put another one of those economic geniuses in office. Idiot!

August 14, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • Beebopbelle

So why are you reading it?

August 14, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • solotasq

Not soon enough.

August 14, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Sinfonian

See my reply to Vinny above. It clearly applies here as well.

August 14, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • farmerjane

Chad, you're still vomiting. You won't be able to listen while you are vomiting.

August 14, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  20. upfront42

just because obama went to Wright's church does that mean he aspires to Wright's every word. You need to reassess what your so called christian vaules are and stop tearing someone down so you can sell a book..

August 14, 2011 at 9:14 am |