home
RSS
My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann
Author Alisa Harris, left, and Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
August 14th, 2011

My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann

Editor's Note: Alisa Harris lives in New York City and is the author of the forthcoming Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith From Politics.

By Alisa Harris, Special to CNN

I could have become Michele Bachmann.

Reading a recent Bachmann profile in The New Yorker felt like attending an awkward cocktail party with former best friends whom I now stalk on the internet but haven’t spoken to in years.

The story describes Bachmann’s influences - including figures like Francis Schaeffer and David Noebel, who most Americans have never heard of but who are superstars in conservative Christian circles - and I found them all familiar faces from my childhood as a culture warrior.

Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll

These are people Bachmann admires and people I once admired, too.

Bachmann has protested at abortion clinics. I was attending abortion protests when I was still too young to hold a sign or even walk.

Bachmann began trying to combat the influence of liberals and secular humanists after encountering Francis Schaeffer’s 1970s’-era video series "How Should We Then Live," a plea to reclaim Western institutions from the corruption of secularism.

I watched the series with my parents as a child

Bachmann served on the board of directors for Summit Ministries, which sponsors conferences and institutes aimed at equipping evangelicals with a Christian worldview. I attended Summit Ministries’ Student Worldview Conference as a 15-year-old.

On the first night of the program, I sat rapt through a talk about a Christian dress code that spelled out the width of the shoulder straps I was permitted to wear, which was not a problem for me because I had brought only oversized Republican campaign t-shirts and shorts that were styled for a 35-year-old mom.

They gave us a handy worldview chart that had a vertical column for every area of life - economics, politics, pyschology, law - and a horizontal column that showed how Muslims, humanists, Marxists and New-Agers were wrong on every count.

The program’s leaders said that the Bible calls for limited government, and that God’s law and nature’s law were good foundations for a legal system. The Christian believes the free enterprise system to be more compatible with his worldview than other economic systems, I learned.

One night, the Summit Ministries instructors showed us a film whose central premise was that anal sex spreads awful diseases.

Terrified of all sex, I clenched my fists and closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep like the boy up the aisle, who nodded off every day.

I developed a trembling crush on the boy I sat next to but squelched the attraction because the Summit speakers told me it was admirable to forgo romance and holding hands until engagement. We played card games instead.

I emerged from Summit finding that my fervor to stop abortion had grown from a disagreeable duty to an outright passion. I bought pro-life t-shirts.

When I came back filled with worldview fervor, I read a book co-authored by David Noebel, the Summit Ministries leader whose writings Bachmann recommended.

It rumbled apocalyptic warnings that humanists, from the NAACP to the Rockefeller Foundation to the National Council of Churches, were conspiring to build a one-world socialist order. I began to secretly find Noebel a little bit kooky.

Still, my family purchased his curriculum and submitted our homeschool speech and debate class to a rigorous worldview training. I took worldview quizzes that graded my ability to reflexively respond to all questions with answers about the Christian worldview of limited government and free enterprise.

I aced the quizzes. I had memorized it all and could spit it back.

Bachmann worked for John Eidsmoe, a man who argued the southern states had a “constitutional right to secede,” and she admired the writing of J. Steven Wilkins, who said that slaves led a “comfortable, though — by modern standards—spare existence.”

Throughout my high school years, I soldiered along with an organization that ran religio-political boot camps populated with ardent Southerners who still possessed Confederate money and auctioned it off - to frenzied bidding - at camp auctions.

The students and staff said the same thing Eidsmoe did. The Civil War wasn’t about racism, they argued, but state’s rights and freedom.

But by the time I heard these arguments, they enraged me. While competing in a home school speech tournament during high school, I wrote a speech that called on public school students to commit acts of civil disobedience by praying in public schools.

In my research I discovered Martin Luther King, Jr., a model of nonviolent resistance and the leader of a movement that seemed to me so just and Christian in the face of laws so clearly evil.

Seeing pictures of Southern police officers using a fire hose to flay the clothes and skin off of teenage civil rights protesters, I became livid at anyone who praised the virtue of the Confederacy or of the Jim Crow South.

Over the years I began to doubt what I’d been taught — that we could find in the Bible the final answers to our questions about the minutiae of 21st century tax policy and the path to economic growth. I saw Christians yell at gay activists, obsess over sex, and enforce ideological purity instead of reducing abortions or helping the poor.

I began to think that our Christian duty was not to make our country’s laws conform to our private morality but to heal the broken-hearted and bind up their wounds.

The political principles I now embrace - human equality, human dignity, and human rights — align less with Schaeffer and more with King, who not only marched for civil rights for African-Americans but also launched the Poor People’s Campaign and fought for the economic rights of all, black and white.

These principles come from a Christian passion for justice but are not, like Bachmann’s worldview, exclusive to Christianity. I have abandoned neither politics nor my Christian faith but the idea of a “worldview” where all spiritual questions have political answers, and all political problems have spiritual solutions.

Newsweek’s latest cover calls Bachmann the “Queen of Rage.” I can testify to the rage her beliefs inspire, a rage that is focused inward - on protecting the sanctity of an iron-clad worldview, battling all the heretics who dare to believe something different, and seeing life from the bunker of a besieged and victimized faith.

I still have some rage, but it’s no longer focused on the secular humanists and tax-collectors. The rage exists on behalf of our wounded world, at the suffering of the poor and the exploitative practices of the rich and powerful. It’s exactly what the Old Testament prophets bellow at me to do.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alisa Harris.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Michele Bachmann • Opinion • Politics

soundoff (1,502 Responses)
  1. a person of the Name

@ jw we shouldn't have had to raise the debt ceiling. It was congress and they're inablity to get anything done that caused that mess and its still a mess we're trying to clean up.

August 14, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
    • J.W

Well we shouldnt have gotten into the mess but now that we are in it we have to not make it worse.

August 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Its going to be interesting. We have Congressmen and women that go to Washington DC, each side Democrat or Republican, with mandates that if they bend or compromise to the other side they will be out of a job, its going to be very hard to clean up this mess.

Right now, in some strange way, we are seeing the results of what happens when elected officials actually listen to and are afraid of their consti'tutes. We are seeing the results of a news knowledgeable public that are beginning to know more about their elected officials than their home teams quarterback or starting pitcher.

In the old days, the politicians could go to Washington DC, make a back room deal and make things work. They really didn't fear that much from the people they represented. Now folks are informed and the likelihood of getting tossed out of office is, I feel much higher.

In some ways I am glad folks on both sides are holding their elected officials to the fire but, I know the Congressman who represents my district better not fold or bend. Some where else, in the country, some one is saying the same about theirs.

Bend and compromise, save the country but lose, your job.

August 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  2. J.W

I really hope she gets nominated and chooses sarah Palin as her vice president. It is kind of amazing she is still bragging about not wanted to raise the debt ceiling even though everybody know that would have been an economic disaster.

August 14, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
  3. LODUW

King? You should follow Jesus not King.

August 14, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  4. *frank*

I could have become Beyonce but my body is not bootylicious.

August 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  5. shortmemories

jimjoe – in what strange place in this world do you exist where reading the actual writings of these men is lacking in objectivity. This article merely gave me the names of obviously published authors of a point of view and I will now go and read their works. Your reading comprehension isn't all that deft as you missed the qualifier "if" in my earlier post. You also are extraordinarily judgmental to state I "have little place in this world". You do not have the power to control whether I am in this world or not – that is God's job. And anyone that takes ANYTHING on the internet as anything more than one sided opinion to be looked at closer is a fool. The only thing it is good for is to have a starting place to research further if particular people or books, etc are not in the mainstream. Everyone knows the name Graham and if one is curious to read him, it is easy, but like I said, I had never heard of these people, now I have and now I will go do more research. I am not going to take your word for it that these men are "simply on the other side". Sorry, going to check out exactly what they have said.

August 14, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
  6. Howie76

PERVERT TEA BAG

August 14, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  7. The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

People have certain Libertarian Rights and current day religious freedoms lays beyond such rights. For anyone to enact upon others’ inalienable proposals contrary to one’s standards of individualized’ religious beliefs is where one should draw their own sovereign prospectives upon.

People of the gatherings within harborages upon religious sanctimonies are creating and establishing ethnic socialisms of morally persuasive narcissisms keeping in line those who tend to believe unquestionably their father figures; the Pastors of doom and gloom fortuities berating those of lesser mindives in moral weaknesses and socially divided consecrations.

People who do with omnivorous blatancies speak of or even write about prophetical variants of the ’human-conditioning problems’ are many times considered to be anti-social and/or anti-christian.

Personalized socialist-like obligations many times, berates and disconfirms those who try to become and eventually some do become leading secular figureheads due their masteries of the spoken and/or written human-conditioning in and of and towards psychic perplexisms resonating waywardly upon hardened masses of many unified personages’ structural continence.

Today’s ongoing Timeline of worldly staged significations does need an harmoniously fixated and voiced lethargy of socialistically offered spoken and written orientations to envelope any a peoples massation of mainlined methodologies in coherencies’ sublimations.

August 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • *frank*

Strunk and White, The Elements of Style
      Check it out sometime....

August 14, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hahahahaha, Frank. Good one!

August 14, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Finally

Finally the lion has met his match in Alisa Haris!

August 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  8. Look

Hey look I can be famous for poking fun at the conservatives..whoopee!!!

August 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • Howie76

Pathetic old tea bag.

August 14, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
    • howie the slimy

it sucks but i am howie76 the slimy!!!

August 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  9. bobbysue

true. Love those southern inbred tunes... but jimjoe plays his own banjo.

August 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  10. Really

We didn't know you till today, and you got your fame in being a Bachmann wannabe...Did it really need so many words to communicate to this world that you are NOT a conservative????. it was so tiring and boring to pour over the pity me, pity me ranting. Is there anything constructive at all???

August 14, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • Howie76

She told her story form her perspective. Do you always cut down young people because you disagree with them. I bet your kids don't hang around you much with as negative as you are.

August 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • True

Good point Really, trying to figure out what she is trying to convey to the reader, there is nothing positive about her sob story other than the fact that she goes off on a tangent with nothing to convey.

August 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • J.W

Maybe you just don't have the intelligence needed to understand the point of the article.

August 14, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
    • NoNoNo

JW is that you? how honored to be talking to such a great thinker from the 24th century!, how come you have decided to provide your intelligent insights to 21st century folks?

August 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • J.W

I have seen the future I know what things will be like if everyone doesnt clean up their act.

August 14, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • tallulah13

Here's another one who needs a remedial reading comprehension class. Hey really, how about you try reading the article without your hate-colored glasses.

August 14, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  11. jimbobsueellen

No offence but jimjoe's mother is his sister who married his cousin Bob who is his aunt Jill's husband.

August 14, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  12. Got it!

ok, we get it you are a M Bachmann wannabe and you cannot, move on.

August 14, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • tallulah13

Your reading comprehension could use some work.

August 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  13. jimjoe

No offence, but you are posting Sam Harris. I bet you repeat his rhetoric, logically fallacies, and gross misunderstanding of history as well. Paid bogots make off well though I got to say.

August 14, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  14. Vernon

My last post was to be addressed to "WilySword"

August 14, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
  15. mike

this is spot-on. best thing i've read on cnn or any media outlet in a long time. Alisa should be hired immediately. she tells the truth. in fact, i wish you were running for president, Alisa.

August 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  16. badlobbyist

Not just Christians...
    Anyone who believes that we humans are not responsible for both the good and the bad in the world (in short we are in charge of ourselves and aint no voodoo super guy gonna come down and save us) is just playing make beleive.

August 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  17. Bo

========|===@tallulah:=============== I' sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear. When I said the Christianty that Alsia Harris described; I meant the one she was leaving. Is that better?

August 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • tallulah13

Yes, thank you for clearing that up. I may not be a christian, but I know that what Christ taught was, for the most part, very wise and worthy.

August 14, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  18. Veritas

I wish someone like Sam Harris would run for president.

August 14, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  19. Joanna Backman

like so many "good" Christians, Michelle Bachmann is full of hate and prejudices. and, before you jump on me, i consider myself a faithful Christian, but i try to include everyone in the circle of God's love, not just white anglo saxon protestants or sects that always "have the right answer." And, the next person who pronounces me name "Backman" as "Bachmann" is liable to get hit. i consider myself as far away from Michelle as you would possibly get, thank God.

August 14, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

August 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • tallulah13

Mark, why do you defend Bachmann? Is she the kind of christian you aspire to be?

August 14, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Mark from Middle River

Good afternoon, my friend -Mark ! I hope that all is well...?

You Said: " @Joanna- Then you run into the problem of who amongst any of us have never said a hateful statement or held prejudice against another. From one follower of Christ to another.... Joanna, are you worthy and completely free from all that you accuse Bachmann of? "
      -----------------------------------------
      My 'take' on this -Mark is that you are talking about 2 different, yet (important) issues. I think that @tallulah13 asked a pretty valid question in response to your posting. I'm curious to hear your response.

My point being along those lines is that going to the extremely high 'logical level' of basically..." who hasn't at some point in their lives said a hateful word, been bigoted, etc... and the other part is *inferred*-"Joanna, are you worthy and completely free from all that you accuse Bachmann of ?"

Which translates into... (you really shouldn't call someone else out on something if you've done it before, and if you aren't 'completely' free from doing it now) yes...?

One doesn't necessarily need to be completely free from pointing something out... 'especially' something like bigotry and hatred in a candidate like Bachmann.

Michelle Bachmann is running for President of the United States of America. Arguably, 'the' single most powerful position, in arguably the most powerful country in the world.

Questioning 'anything' about Bachmann, or any other candidate is appropriate and on the board, and BTW- including President Obama. (Although– even I got to the point of the whole incessant questioning of his ethnicity, citizenship, beliefs, family, etc... to be going 'beyond' the norm by the 'mostly' GOP radicals/tea baggers) But, heck he withstood the onslaught.

Again, questioning Bachmann about her stances on socio-political-theological-economic issues, is part and parcel of finding out who this person is.

And... we all have our opinions... and I don't have to be "completely free" of (fill in the blank) to be able to, in my opinion, think Bachmann to be an idiot on a lot of her world-views and stances on things. (IMHO).

Peace brother...

August 14, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Tallulah – For me it is not a thing of defending one or another, I find it is more important to see the similarities to hate and intolerance. In a episode of Law and Order a cop said something along the lines of:

“When you fight evil, you better be darn sure you do not become one of them”

I find that many who claim they are in a crusade against folks like Palin and Bachmann more often loose their cause/soul by deploying and using the same language of those they fight against. In this case Joanna said that Bachmann was full of hate and prejudice, I wanted to call her on that to ask how many amongst us do not have this human flaw.

I point it out and you question if I am defending Bachmann. If you were a thinking person and un-clenched your heart you would see that the question is poised to all of us. You, me … so many.

Peace- How are you? I am very well and hope you are too.

My easy response is that to show such truths is not to condone the action but to bring enlightenment to one such as Tallulah, that no one is free from the human condition of hatred and fear. I feel I guess I should have first asked which question.

The original statement I felt was a bit off, in many ways. Peace, as you respectfully claim my friend... “is full of hate and prejudices” …. you feel that this is not a trollish comment that needs to be challenged. Not her politics or voting records but just a silly blanket statement. I wish to see where you feel she is “questioning” things about Bachmann.

You bring up Obama, think about all of the demonizing that was done to him and folks on the Left declared it was not appropriate. Now that Bachmann is the leading GOP candidate all of those that cried foul are mostly silent or doing the EXACT same thing now to Bachmann. Oh,...but this time it is not demonizing because they consider it to be true. 🙂

Peace, you have to one day live by your handle. Peace too all. It is like the John Stewart quote and similarly repeated postings. As long as we have each side demonizing the other then what will we have? There can be no debate or dialogue with those that are pure evil, full of hate or full blown Marxist. This does not breed Peace, my friend...and you know it.

More Peace my friend , l'chaim.

August 14, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

So Mark, you think Joanna shouldn't say anything, despite the fact that she she is appalled by the Bachmann uses religion? So she shouldn't stand up for what she believes, because she's not perfect? I suppose you had best stop posting, because you frequently state your own opinion, unless of course, you believe yourself perfect.

August 14, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • J.W

I agree with Joanna. God loves all of us. Even atheists.

August 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Tallulah – Is this what you got from my writing? Interesting.

It is a very easy and simple thing. We get no where when for political discussion all we have is each side demonizing the other.

August 14, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • J.W

Demonizing is all the political discussions are anymore. Did you see the last couple republican debates? The first one they demonize Obama the second one they demonize each other.

August 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

...which will continue to get us what we have now.

August 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
    • tallulah13

Mark, very often promises made in campaigns are not kept after facing the reality of the situation. I am not thrilled that the wars are continuing, and certainly not happy about Gitmo, but at least I can understand the reality of trying to find a way to leave a country we invaded while not abandoning those allies who helped us as well as the innocents that will be hurt if the Taliban comes back into power. I think that's somewhat more honorable than taking government funds and lying about it. But, hey, your mileage may vary.

August 15, 2011 at 1:36 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

“abandoning those allies who helped us as well as the innocents that will be hurt if the Taliban comes back into power.”

Tallulah, promises are made when campaigning.... you have to admit that the Tea Party candidates are and have ultimately kept their promise to not bend or waver.

Additionally, the innocents will be hurt one way or another unless we plan to keep troops there forever. Think about it, this is Afghanistan, … a places HISTORICALLY, has never been fully conquered. Check with the Soviets. The Taliban, that we once supported... that is their playground and Obama pretty much promised three... one, two three years ago for us to get out and still we are there.

Honorable is that your tax money and my tax money are going to a country other than our own, when we have folks getting thrown out of their homes, and off of unemployment benefits.

Honorable is to protect your own first.

August 15, 2011 at 2:52 am |
    • tallulah13

Not bending is a foolish position. Reality changes and a healthy government changes with it. That is why tea party candidates aren't suitable for office on the world stage. We need people willing to learn and grow.

Yes, I know the history of Afghanistan, but I still say we owe a debt to those who helped us. I am not okay with abandoning allies, because that will follow us and effect how our soldiers are treated in the future, That is why the war with Iraq was a horrible, unnecessary waste of lives and resources, despite the outcome. We had a very real cause to go into Afghanistan, only false allegations in Iraq. Yes, I know Saddam Hussein killed the Kurdish citizens, but that was long before Bush lied to force us into a second war we couldn't afford. I noticed you didn't mention Iraq when tallying waste. Are you okay with the massive waste in Iraq, but not the relatively minor one in Libya because a Republican President started one and a Democratic President is helping the UN with the other?

And yes, I know the cost of an airstrike. I notice that you quantify things in dollar value, not the value of lives. I think you are a republican, but I suspect you are not as christian as you think.

August 15, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  20. AGuest9

It's sad how they brainwash people from the pulpit. My ex-wife's church was one of those "holy roller" congregations. They all hung on the minister's word. HE knew THE TRUTH. The TRUTH was that mixing between the races was wrong. The TRUTH was that stealing was wrong. The TRUTH was that a righteous man held firm to his beliefs and stood his ground.

That's why the minister snuck off to marry his secretary (who happened to be a woman of color), embezzled from the church and disappeared. (No, not some made-up allegory – Woodland, Michigan, 1991.)

August 14, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

The sad things is that there are no real free thinkers. If you disagree with someone or hold a different view or belief....be it Faith, National Pride, … Gay,...White...Black ...heck even Irish Pride...

Chances are that somewhere there is a group that declares that you are “Brainwashed” into believing.

So, Aguest9 …. you ..me … are in the end sheep and brainwashed in someones eyes.

August 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • tallulah13

Hypocrisy is everywhere. It's a very human thing. Some are just worse than others about it.

August 14, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>“Some are just worse than others about it.”

Hypocrisy, is also when we feel that we can judge whose hate and intolerance is worst than another's.

August 14, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • tallulah13

Well, Mark, I guess since you're perfect, it's okay if you judge, just like you did with that last comment.

August 14, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Tallulah – I am just human, but let the records show that it was you that said that one persons hypocrisy is worst than another's.

It's your in hand in which the gavel is found. 🙂

August 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • tallulah13

Yes, I do believe that some people are more hypocritical than others. Consider Michelle Bachmann.

This person who is opposed to government spending is partial owner of a farm that has received over $200,000 in farm subsidies.

I believe her actions to be a heck of a lot more hypocritical than saying that some people are more hypocritical than others.
      You think what you want.

August 14, 2011 at 9:21 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Then you might as well vote for the guy who won the Noble Peace Prize.... and.. still has troops in Iraq, Afghanistan and Gitmo running in the same fashion as the GW administration ...

...but added in American Military resources in Libya.

August 14, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • tallulah13

Yikes! I posted this in the wrong place. I'll try again.

As for Libya, I don't mind that near so much, because air strikes not the same as soldiers on the ground. Also, the citizens who asked for help were under attack by the corrupt leader they were rebelling against. If you've studied American history, you will remember that when the colonies rebelled against their King, they asked for help from the French. If the French had not stepped in, we probably would have lost that war. So I consider it a national debt of honor to help rebels fight a just war. Besides, it's a UN action, not the US playing cowboy against the wishes of the rest of the world. The timing could be better, but the schedule was written by the people who are trying to depose a tyrant.

August 15, 2011 at 1:48 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”As for Libya, I don't mind that near so much, because air strikes not the same as soldiers on the ground.”

Tallulah …. you have any clue, in your head... how much a single missile cost?

Also, the Nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were also "air strikes". Want to debate the cost in human life when boots are not on the ground?

August 15, 2011 at 2:56 am |