home
RSS
My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann
Author Alisa Harris, left, and Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
August 14th, 2011

My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann

Editor's Note: Alisa Harris lives in New York City and is the author of the forthcoming Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith From Politics.

By Alisa Harris, Special to CNN

I could have become Michele Bachmann.

Reading a recent Bachmann profile in The New Yorker felt like attending an awkward cocktail party with former best friends whom I now stalk on the internet but haven’t spoken to in years.

The story describes Bachmann’s influences - including figures like Francis Schaeffer and David Noebel, who most Americans have never heard of but who are superstars in conservative Christian circles - and I found them all familiar faces from my childhood as a culture warrior.

Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll

These are people Bachmann admires and people I once admired, too.

Bachmann has protested at abortion clinics. I was attending abortion protests when I was still too young to hold a sign or even walk.

Bachmann began trying to combat the influence of liberals and secular humanists after encountering Francis Schaeffer’s 1970s’-era video series "How Should We Then Live," a plea to reclaim Western institutions from the corruption of secularism.

I watched the series with my parents as a child

Bachmann served on the board of directors for Summit Ministries, which sponsors conferences and institutes aimed at equipping evangelicals with a Christian worldview. I attended Summit Ministries’ Student Worldview Conference as a 15-year-old.

On the first night of the program, I sat rapt through a talk about a Christian dress code that spelled out the width of the shoulder straps I was permitted to wear, which was not a problem for me because I had brought only oversized Republican campaign t-shirts and shorts that were styled for a 35-year-old mom.

They gave us a handy worldview chart that had a vertical column for every area of life - economics, politics, pyschology, law - and a horizontal column that showed how Muslims, humanists, Marxists and New-Agers were wrong on every count.

The program’s leaders said that the Bible calls for limited government, and that God’s law and nature’s law were good foundations for a legal system. The Christian believes the free enterprise system to be more compatible with his worldview than other economic systems, I learned.

One night, the Summit Ministries instructors showed us a film whose central premise was that anal sex spreads awful diseases.

Terrified of all sex, I clenched my fists and closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep like the boy up the aisle, who nodded off every day.

I developed a trembling crush on the boy I sat next to but squelched the attraction because the Summit speakers told me it was admirable to forgo romance and holding hands until engagement. We played card games instead.

I emerged from Summit finding that my fervor to stop abortion had grown from a disagreeable duty to an outright passion. I bought pro-life t-shirts.

When I came back filled with worldview fervor, I read a book co-authored by David Noebel, the Summit Ministries leader whose writings Bachmann recommended.

It rumbled apocalyptic warnings that humanists, from the NAACP to the Rockefeller Foundation to the National Council of Churches, were conspiring to build a one-world socialist order. I began to secretly find Noebel a little bit kooky.

Still, my family purchased his curriculum and submitted our homeschool speech and debate class to a rigorous worldview training. I took worldview quizzes that graded my ability to reflexively respond to all questions with answers about the Christian worldview of limited government and free enterprise.

I aced the quizzes. I had memorized it all and could spit it back.

Bachmann worked for John Eidsmoe, a man who argued the southern states had a “constitutional right to secede,” and she admired the writing of J. Steven Wilkins, who said that slaves led a “comfortable, though — by modern standards—spare existence.”

Throughout my high school years, I soldiered along with an organization that ran religio-political boot camps populated with ardent Southerners who still possessed Confederate money and auctioned it off - to frenzied bidding - at camp auctions.

The students and staff said the same thing Eidsmoe did. The Civil War wasn’t about racism, they argued, but state’s rights and freedom.

But by the time I heard these arguments, they enraged me. While competing in a home school speech tournament during high school, I wrote a speech that called on public school students to commit acts of civil disobedience by praying in public schools.

In my research I discovered Martin Luther King, Jr., a model of nonviolent resistance and the leader of a movement that seemed to me so just and Christian in the face of laws so clearly evil.

Seeing pictures of Southern police officers using a fire hose to flay the clothes and skin off of teenage civil rights protesters, I became livid at anyone who praised the virtue of the Confederacy or of the Jim Crow South.

Over the years I began to doubt what I’d been taught — that we could find in the Bible the final answers to our questions about the minutiae of 21st century tax policy and the path to economic growth. I saw Christians yell at gay activists, obsess over sex, and enforce ideological purity instead of reducing abortions or helping the poor.

I began to think that our Christian duty was not to make our country’s laws conform to our private morality but to heal the broken-hearted and bind up their wounds.

The political principles I now embrace - human equality, human dignity, and human rights — align less with Schaeffer and more with King, who not only marched for civil rights for African-Americans but also launched the Poor People’s Campaign and fought for the economic rights of all, black and white.

These principles come from a Christian passion for justice but are not, like Bachmann’s worldview, exclusive to Christianity. I have abandoned neither politics nor my Christian faith but the idea of a “worldview” where all spiritual questions have political answers, and all political problems have spiritual solutions.

Newsweek’s latest cover calls Bachmann the “Queen of Rage.” I can testify to the rage her beliefs inspire, a rage that is focused inward - on protecting the sanctity of an iron-clad worldview, battling all the heretics who dare to believe something different, and seeing life from the bunker of a besieged and victimized faith.

I still have some rage, but it’s no longer focused on the secular humanists and tax-collectors. The rage exists on behalf of our wounded world, at the suffering of the poor and the exploitative practices of the rich and powerful. It’s exactly what the Old Testament prophets bellow at me to do.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alisa Harris.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Michele Bachmann • Opinion • Politics

soundoff (1,502 Responses)
  1. T.L.Osborne

Dr. Francis Schaeffer is one of my hero's of the faith. His book 'How Should We Then Live' and subsequent Video series of the same name and based upon the book is both insightful and relevant for today even though it was written over 30 years ago and while Dr. Schaeffer did not see coming the sudden collapse of the Soviet Block, he did foresee our current situation and where our nation and world is headed. And for the record, Dr. Schaeffer was ardently apposed to the race based slavery of the USA and spoke out against it in his book and video series. He called for people everywhere to return to the God of the Bible and to faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross. To quote him, 'A return to the God Who is real and is not silent'. Politically every decision is faith based whether it be President Obama's or any other administration's you care to name. Every decision is based upon a belief system formed by ones personal world view. Personally I'll take a Christian world view over a socialist world view any day! This nation was founded upon a Christian world view though this has largely been forgot, down played or out right denied.

August 15, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • amy

You are aware that many socialists are in Christian, right?

August 15, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Pastafarian

please explain to me how a country founded on religious FREEDOM by people fleeing religious oppression was founded on a christian worldview? i live here, pay taxes, and want nothing to do with your twisted myths and fairytales.

August 15, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • tallulah13

Actually the concept that the United States was founded on a christian world view was made up by christians who are okay with rewriting history if it suits their needs. I would advise you to learn about the founding fathers before making erroneous claims.

August 16, 2011 at 2:13 am |
  2. Mike Brooks

Silly young reporter thinks she has all the answers. Typical youthful rebellion against what she was taught; she'll come around to normalcy in about 10 years.

If she could be Michele Bachman, shy isn't she running for hte highest office in the country?

August 15, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • Pastafarian

maybe you missed the part where she woke up from the incessant brainwashing she was forced to endure while being indoctrinated into your cult.

the road to enlightenment is a slippery slope. once you start asking questions and thinking for yourself, the path away from religion and its antiquated beliefs becomes very easy.

if there is a god, he gave you a brain. don't insult him – use it!

August 15, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • tallulah13

The indoctrination is strong with this one.

August 16, 2011 at 2:14 am |
  3. Liz the First

Congratulations!!! you graduated from 'Christian' to follower of Christ's teachings. the two are nowhere near the same these days!

August 15, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Anon

One of mythical Jesus so called moral teachings was self-castration.

August 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
  4. Mark from Louisiana

Wow this gal has issues, why does cnn allow these folks on the website?

August 15, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Drew Williams

They allow you, don't they?

August 15, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • jon

Is there any way possible to get these religious people OUT OF POLITICS??

August 15, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • tallulah13

You're right Mark. Michelle Bachmann has serious issues. She doesn't belong on CNN. She sure as heck doesn't belong in politics.

August 16, 2011 at 2:15 am |
  5. Bonzo

" The Amazing Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog ! ! !
    Robert, you put the "duh" in "dumb." CNN did not come up with "The Queen of Rage," Newsweek did."

Actually CNN and Newsweek are direct affiliates, so just where does the DUH belong

August 15, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Dave

Every single Republican – voter or politician – down to the last man and woman would willingly lie like Robert does if they thought it would bring the Republican party more power.

August 15, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  6. Kathy

I agree with the writer on the 'broader world' approach to helping others. Most critical is the act of not judging but doing good. The problem comes when government infringes on the Rights of Christians, in teaching moral values.
    The religious see opposers as threatening their existance, or say the "freedom to practice their beliefs". The left sees the Christians' as imposers of their own "free will", I believe each side views the other as hated and vilified.

August 15, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  7. Reality

A. Harris and M. Bachmann:-----––

Why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:

Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Tim Pawlenty, Herman Cain, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?

The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.

2008 Presidential popular vote results:

69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.

And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe it should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)
    (The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.)
    0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

August 15, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Louis

Are you insane? I read your rambling, nonsensical post and can not decipher what exactly your point is. Are you stating that everyone who didn't vote for John McCain is pro-life? Based on what evidence. Also, I am sick of the narrow minded world views of extreme conservatives in America today and I believe myself to be in the majority. Tone down your offensive rhetoric.

August 15, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Chad

The father of all those aborted babies will get to "vote" on all of us someday.

August 15, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Reality

Roe vs. Wade – 1973

2012-1973 = 39 years

39 years X ~1 million abortions/yr X 2 "mother and father of the aborted child = 78 million pro-abortion/choice voters who will all vote for the pro-abortion/choice candidate.

Bottom line: 78 million votes are more than enough to guarantee the presidential election in 2012.

August 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  8. Robert

CNNs opinion writers always appall me with their blatant lies and campaigning for the demoncrat party. No, Miss article writer, Bachmann is not a "Queen of Rage" but you are a Queen of lies like your other liberal buddies at CNN.

"Econonic justice" is a code word for communism. The Bible does not teach redistribution of wealth. It teaches individuals voluntarily giving out of love. Not the government stealing the money of workers and spreading it around.

August 15, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • The Amazing Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog ! ! !

August 15, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Drew Williams

Gotta love the "Liberal Media Truthers" like Robert here ... any time something disagreeable crops up, you can write it off as liberal media slant. Oh how easy debate and life becomes, eh Bob?

August 15, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • Dave

More proof idiots like you see the world the way you WANT to, and not the way it really is. CNN has been hyping the GOP candidates for over a week now. I notice you didn't mention the opinion article they wrote saying "Rick Perry will be president" because well, that one goes COMPLETELY against the narrative (lies) you wrote.

Nothing short of Fox News' propaganda would make people like you happy. There can't be anybody's opinion spoken but yours. Selfish POS.

August 15, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • vfr800cr250

Wow, apparently this one hit close to home for you. Kinda stings when you have to look really close in the mirror at the false Christianity so many born-agains embrace, doesn't it?

August 15, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Geoz

Robert,
      You prove (again) how little the Xian right reads the Bible, and how little you understand history. Just keep listening to what the re-education camps tell you.

August 15, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Louis

Go to Fox News where you can rejoice with your fellow bigots, racists, hatemongerers, etc.

August 15, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Take your meds

Lies! What about what she posted is a lie?! Bachmann is very open about the people she idolizes and frankly, that should scare you. These are men and women who believe that the Christian way is the only way, and not even mainstream Christianity, but some archaic ideology masked in racism and selfishness. I can't believe you would attempt to dismiss something so true as media spin, but then again you're a right-wing nutcase, aren't you.

August 15, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  9. TheMan from Texas

Where is the Coverage of Ron Paul

August 15, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • T.L.Osborne

I like Ron Paul, he gets the establishment.

August 15, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  10. The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

Martin T wrote on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 8:32 am "Atheists have been villified by the religious for centuries, even killed for their expressions of disbelief; and there are those who would continue to hunt down and persecute us, atheists even today. I know because I have LONG suffered for my views, even at the hands of my own family. I say NO MORE! Religion and the debate on the existence of god/gods should be an open one and those who believe need to respect those of us who do not. We do not seek to deconvert anyone, we simply want to have our voice heard!"

Does one expect for those who are of christian descendancies and do practice what is righteous and does not put division upon the doors of secularisms evolvings make a difference upon the world stages of Today's Time?

August 15, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • ralphinator

Stop acting like a clown because you're doing more harm to Christianity than good. That kind of nonsensical spew only drives people away from your message.

August 15, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

ralphinator,,,,,
      My “writing technique” is meant to reach deeply within one’s soul of literate decencies. Even those whose souls are a-bastioned to avail themselves with speak-to-me my-way-incrongruencies of plainness is but an appalling venture of commonalities unbefitting anyone deemed as being a person of the educated rankings of literatures’ ailments bemoaning todays‘ Dumbing down of the written Words all for the sakes of what!?. To satisfy whom!? The lesser educative and/or intervening louts?

August 15, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Dave

And God spaketh unto you, "I said giveth thine possessions awayeth winninglyeth to the poor. Yet thou voted Republican; thou standeth in front of my kingdom askething for entrance and I say. I do not know thou. For thou have madeth a mockery of my son's words by thine very deeds. You have sideth with the rich and evil men."

August 15, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • ralphinator

@ lionly – And that would be fine if you used big words that actually made sense.....but you don't. Your sentences are incoherent ramblings that make you look like a fool. NOT "literate decencies" lol.

You give all Christians a bad rep when you act and talk like that.

August 15, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Virgil

“Dumbing down of the written Words all for the sakes of what!?. To satisfy whom!? The lesser educative and/or intervening louts?”

The skill of writing is to create a context in which other people can think as well as understand. What you are doing is creating an excuse to live perpetually in fantasyland, where you can create, direct and watch the products of your own head. Very selfish.

August 15, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Get em

Go get em Lion!!!!
      Your 'literate decencies' are better than the barrage of ramblings of this woman...

August 15, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • some girl

Why is 'gods' plural in your screen name? Do you believe in more than one??

August 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • MomOf3

@Lion – so, are you saying that the Bible has been 'dumbed down" so christians understand it? Got it....

"wink,wink, nudge, nudge"!

August 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  11. Tom

As an independent voter, I'm appalled that Michelle Bachman is a serious candidate for the Republican nomination. Sarah Palin pushed me away from voting Republican in the last election. A Bachman GOP nomination would push me to the Democaratic Party. What a worthless piece of trash stuck in the 20th century. Obama is awful, but he looks like Reagan in comparison to this fool.

August 15, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • Drew Williams

The wackaloons always get the early press and the win in Iowa. See "Robertson, Pat." As the weeks wear on, and more of their contradictory, embarrassing Religious Right power-politics statements come to light, they fall off the map.

August 15, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • KJB

You don't know Reagan.

August 15, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Drew Williams

Michelle Bachmann is little more than the current representative of Falwell's old Religious Right, a power-political group we now know as "The Tea Party." You didn't actually think America's politically connected theocracy and their Mullahs would just fold up their tents and leave after W, did ya?

August 15, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • James

Tom, quit kidding yourself. You're not an "independent." You're a liberal. Period.

August 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
  12. CW

I think that as christians we should pray for all including other "christians". I agree with some of her points about helping the poor, being compassionate to all, and standing against all evil. Where she and I differ is on the "standing against evil" part and exactly where she stands. From my point of view anything thing that fly's in the face of Biblical teachings is "EVIL" so from that standpoint if legislating something and using the Bible as your guide is wrong then I would pray that she go and consult her Bible on this. As the Lord said..we are in this world but not to live in a worldly manner...hence we are to follow God's way to live.

August 15, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • jeffrey

You are wasting your entire life on this false belief because there is no god.

August 15, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • CCW

So CW, since you said "anything thing that fly's in the face of Biblical teachings is "EVIL" " and the bible clearly teaches bloody slaughtering and burning of animals to make a nice smell to please your god idol, does that mean that you consider NOT doing those bloody sacrifices to be evil?

Quite the horrid, bloody doctrine it is that you follow. It's time for the world to move on past your absurd Christian superst-itions.

August 15, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

ralphinator wrote me stating, "Did write me some word stating on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 10:33 am “@lionly – dude can you talk like a normal person? I'm a Christian and can't even figure out what you're trying to say. Don't know if you're trying to act smart or if you don't know english well, but either ways, speak normal or don't provide comments.
      Stop acting like a clown because frankly, you're doing more harm to Christianity than good. That kind of nonsensical spew only drives people away from your message.”

My response is. "My “writing technique” is meant to reach deeply within one’s soul of literate decencies. Even those whose souls are a-bastioned to avail themselves with speak-to-me my-way-incrongruencies of plainness is but an appalling venture of commonalities unbefitting anyone deemed as being a person of the educated rankings of literatures’ ailments bemoaning todays‘ Dumbing down of the written Words all for the sakes of what!?. To satisfy whom!? The lesser educative and/or intervening louts who dare not become better the linguist of the written and/or spoken Word?" (GIMMIE A BREAK!)

August 15, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Virgil

“The lesser educative and/or intervening louts who dare not become better the linguist of the written and/or spoken Word”

That’s why you can’t spell worth shit, write run on sentences and constantly have contextual word errors. You’re an idiot not someone who actually knows how to write.

August 15, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Louis

I understand your point and respect that you made it in a civil manner but you do realize that the Christian Bible is not a template for how this country is to be run correct?

August 15, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

@ CW and all,,,,,,,,,

Is it not written in the Gospels that one should firstl "seek the kingdom of God" and also the "This world is not of Gods KIngdom" and also that "The Kingdom of God is inside you"? What say ye CW or anyone of chrstian fundamentalisms' aguardianed to?

August 15, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • sam

Same old narrow minded claptrap. 'Evil'. LOL

August 15, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • CW

Welll well,

I got those that are the "usual" things like "there is no god" to those that ranted about things. Well at least other christians can see that there will always be those that we need to pray for.

@ Louis,

Thank you for your respectful comment. I have to disagree with some of your comment. You see in the Bible it covers every situation that we as humans will come against. If we're not sure of what the answer is that is why you pray about it...ask for "wisdom" b/c as it states in the bible "God gives wisdom to all that ask for it". So yes I believe that the Bible is not only the "template" for out to live our lives but also how a "template" on how politicians should le.gislate.

@ CCW,

I have to break it to you this way....have you ever read the book of hebrews? Please read this and you'll have your answer to your question....Peace.

August 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Anon

Another brain dead christard like always.

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • CCW

CW, yes, I've read your whole evil book, both testaments. Now, state your point and a specific quote from your evil bible that you think "supports" it, or we will simply conclude that you can't respond to my argument.

August 15, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • MomOf3

@Louis

it was a good argument, gotta re-post it! You can't use a book/set of commandments to run a country, when the whole country doesn't believe in said book/commandments. If you think it's possible, I suggest you so a little research in the Middle East...start with the Taliban...

August 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  13. ralphinator

August 15, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • The Amazing Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog ! ! !

I have never quite figured out if Lyingly Lame is a total whack-job or an uber-troll. It's Poe's Law exemplified.

August 15, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  14. Haime52

Interesting article! While she may fall down a bit on certain points, she seems to hit the target on the main points. A person's religion should inform their politics, not BE their politics. It is onerous to attempt to legislate your belief system on to others. Once you get started on that road, where do you stop? What punishments do you mete out for non-compliance?
    It makes no difference which belief system you want to force onto others, the use of force, in and of itself, is wrong!

Whether it is a religious belief system or an atheistic one, no good will come of it.

Some people seem to think that justice is only served, if it is served up by their standards and no others. Others think that whatever exists must be OK so let it continue, "it's all good".

Christians are call to be salt and light, not force and might. Christains are not called to change the world politically, but to turn their hearts and minds toward God, with love. Believe me, if someone is loving you, you're going to know it, and if they aren't, you'll know that too!

August 15, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • SeanNJ

Agreed except on one point: there is no "atheistic belief system."

August 15, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Jean

To SeanNJ: There is an atheistic belief system. Atheists, differing from agnostics, actively BELIEVE that there is no higher power watching, judging, and/or interfering with the human population on earth.

August 15, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  15. a person of the Name

@ laughing in many ways that would be right. Todays schools are not what they use to be and I've been looking in to the schools in the area and found them lacking. Don't get me wrong I would love for my kids to go up ablity to have as many friends as I did but you expose them to undesirable situations and ppl. Whom look to do more damage then good. I'm not talking about teachers. I'm talking about students raised by ungodly parents, who like "most" ungodly ppl have a total lack of morals. No, I like home school better then most schools in the area which we live. My kids need the interactions but not to the degree of what it is in todays schools.

August 15, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Laughing

You make an interesting point, but you completely lose all credibility when you say that ungodly people lack morals? Is that so? And how, may I ask did you come to this conclusion?

You also don't want to subject your child to "undesirable situations", what are those? Drugs, se.x,? And once your kid goes to college or just moves out of the house? What then? What home schooling does is simultanously handicapps your kid in any and all social interaction outside of the home (not only the stigma of homeschooling, but literal interaction between peers instead of siblings and parents) and also gives them a feeling of superiority that they've gotten a better education than their peers at a public or private school. Sorry a person of the Name, but you are way off base here.

August 15, 2011 at 11:11 am |
  16. KJB

Michele Bachmann is a force, much like Sarah Palin. And many people simply hate her . . . hate them, especially feminists and ideologues. For me, I appreciate both of them. Neither is what I conceive of as the best hopeful for the next president of the United States. On the other hand, I can’t imagine either being less desirable than President Obama.

Bachmann’s meteoric ascent has caused opposition to rise up, zombie-like, and hobble after her in the hopes of extracting her life. The feeding frenzy is on. Harris joins in, nipping at Bachmann’s heals in the hopes of gaining a bite.

Harris has the temerity to claim, “I could have become Michele Bachmann.” Well, perhaps. Perhaps, if Harris had ample character and ambition, she could have been on the track to greatness. There may yet be time. Harris is young. Young enough to write her first memoir. (Obama had written two by his early-forties, thus tying the record with Narcissus.)

In the meantime, Harris stoops to mimic the patricidal angst of Frank(y) Schaeffer, sneering at her parents, feigning enlightened rationality, and claiming all the while finally to have found an authentic Christian faith. One can hope. Well, one could hope Harris does not continue on Frank(y)’s trajectory of hatred.

August 15, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • Brian S.

May the "biting" succeed, and may other panderers like Bachmann to the Religious Wrong also be pestered incessantly by biting insects until their ultimate demise.

I used to be a Republican. Now, I'll vote for Obama any day over nutters like Bachmann and Mitt Romney with his Magic Mormon Underwear. Where do they find these fruitcakes, anyway?

August 15, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • Geoz

You are intentionally missing her point. Attempting to reframe it.
      When she says she could have been MB, she explains that she studied everything – or at least with a lot of overlap – what MB studied, but the author didn't stop there. MB is stuck. This author found something that inspired her more, and seemed more authentic.

In my view MB is nowhere near great and lucky not to be an out-of-work loon locked up for eternity.

August 15, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • KJB

“Over the years I began to doubt what I’d been taught,” confesses Harris, “that we could find in the bible the final answers to our questions about the minutiae of 21st century tax policy and the path to economic growth.”

Wait, really? The minutiae of tax policy? Surely she jests.

By stark contrast with Harris, Bachmann earned an LL.M. in taxation from William and Mary School of Law, then practiced the trade for a time.

Bachmann is a doer.

August 15, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • CCW

KJB, Bachmann is a wrongdoer who got her first degree from a wha-ckjob bible thumper insti-tute that was then known as Oral Roberts "University".

Religion-sponsored "universities" disgrace the term "university", and Bachmann is a disgrace to the term "Republican" by following what is demonstrably a socialist religion.

August 15, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • sam

No, she just wasn't enough of an insane, narrow minded bigot to go on to Bachmann's greatness.

August 15, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • KJB

Perhaps most revealing of the caricature Harris has (correctly) jettisoned for her (unfortunately) new, Progressive ideology is this statement: “I have abandoned neither politics nor my Christian faith but the idea of a ‘worldview’ where all spiritual questions have political answers, and all political problems have spiritual solutions.”

And that is a good thing too! I, for one, cannot imagine where Harris ever gained the bizarre view that “all spiritual questions have political answers,” but I’m certainly glad she no longer holds to it. It sounds too much like leftist Liberation theology, like the preachings of Jeremiah Wright.

As for Harris’s recollection that “all political problems have spiritual solutions,” well, apart from some Anabaptists and Pietists, I can’t think of anyone but perhaps New Agers who remotely suggest such a thing.

August 15, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
  17. The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar did write on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 8:14 am "christian BS" is fast becoming a secular tradition among many racist orientated socialisms would you not agree JimT? (edited to correct typos)

Martin T. Responded to my above posted words and M.T. declaring thusly on Monday, August 15, 2011 at 8:28 am, “I do not agree, Lionly. For centuries atheists, or socialists as you so wrongly state, have taken a lot of heat for their positions. I think it is healthy for skeptics to be allowed, even encouraged, to question EVERYTHING. Too long now, religions have been given a pass when it comes to serious debate and discourse; it is time for that to change.”

The “perplexisms” of histories regarding secularisms and religicisms are beyond merely a “centuralistic” happenstance regarded by you Martin T to be of heatedness’ variances for postionalized virtues to bemoan, (like you seem to be doing) all for the sakes of the “healthy” skeptics forsakenness’ and yes for the questionability aspect(s) of relativity’s resounding above and beyond the Christendoms who are as the many seeds of contented moralisms and sounded ethnicities far beyond a secularists’ atheistic bemoaning. (I, M.T. am a Christian Secularist with a touch of saneness added in my brainyard of futalities) 🙂

August 15, 2011 at 9:41 am |
    • Brian S.

Your "brainyard" is missing more than a few chickens and has more than its normal share of accu-mulated farm animal excr-ement.

August 15, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

B.S. your b/s/ is in your leavening stages, what will you beome, a sickly jack a s s, maybe a zebra with stripes just like the prisoner flanks?

August 15, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • sam

You are definitely trolling pretty hard for a Monday morning. This is even better than your usual nonsense. Did you practice all weekend?

August 15, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

His postings are simply blank space...jsut pass over them.

August 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  18. nah

What a breath of fresh air!!!!

Hitherto, you have to come out to become famous, guess that is becoming stale now.
    "Wannabe's" now become famous, enjoy while it lasts

August 15, 2011 at 9:00 am |
  19. William Demuth

Cult members LOVE to program their children, and home schooling is just a factory for more indoctrinated zombies.

It needs to be banned. It is how we end up with people who think the world is 6000 years old.

August 15, 2011 at 8:54 am |
    • Colin

Hey WD, can you imagine how the superst.itions would start to disappear if they weren't allowed to teach this nonsense to kids until they were old enough to think for themselves and analyse the information. In a generation or two, we would have shaken off our Iron Age sky-gods once and for all!

August 15, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

@ Willie D,,,,,,,

Imagine if one will, "The education in any nations' "publicized" school "bases" does rather affluently ingrain mental perplexisms upon these amassings of childrenicisms in manners regularly unbefitting any socialistically orientatives' stoutworthiness, ergo home-based schooling does endear and may well promote a systemic relativism for soundly bringing up a parental based philosophy upon their child's behaviorisms.

August 15, 2011 at 9:13 am |
    • Laughing

@lionly,

You do realize you sound like an as.s when you try to make up words to sound smart right? I'm still trying to interpret what you attempted to write, but from what I understand you think that homeschooling actually makes MORE sense than sending your kid to public school? Really?

August 15, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

Laughing stated, "You do realize you sound like an as.s when you try to make up words to sound smart right?"

What oh "highn-as-sed laughing" gale do you not understand or even are able to deduce in your brainary's yardarm of perpetualized felisciouness?

August 15, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • Atheist

@ William D.
      I know some kids that were homeschooled, they endud up just fine. I think it really depends on if they're doing it because they think public schools move too slow or that their kids just learn better one on one or if they're doing it because they want to indeoctrinate their kids at a young age without the possibility of someone else making them think for themselves.

So if they're doing it because the public schools are bad, then go for it, if you're doing it because you think the public schools are teaching the wrong thing (like evolution) then you shouldn't be allowed.

@ lionly
      brainary's yardarm? really?

August 15, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  20. jimtanker

Well, at least she got a little bit sane. Now if she could just drop the christian BS and do good things just for goodness sake and not for the promise of eternal reward she will be on the right path.

August 15, 2011 at 7:43 am |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

"christian BS" is fast becoming a secular tradion among many racist orientated socialisms whould you not agree JimT?

August 15, 2011 at 8:14 am |
    • Martin T

August 15, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • Martin T

Atheists have been villified by the religious for centuries, even killed for their expressions of disbelief; and there are those who would continue to hunt down and persecute us, atheists even today. I know because I have LONG suffered for my views, even at the hands of my own family. I say NO MORE! Religion and the debate on the existence of god/gods should be an open one and those who believe need to respect those of us who do not. We do not seek to deconvert anyone, we simply want to have our voice heard.

August 15, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • CCW

Martin T, great posts. I support what you are saying re encouraging scepticism.

August 15, 2011 at 1:49 pm |