home
RSS
My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann
Author Alisa Harris, left, and Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.
August 14th, 2011

My Take: I could have become Michele Bachmann

Editor's Note: Alisa Harris lives in New York City and is the author of the forthcoming Raised Right: How I Untangled My Faith From Politics.

By Alisa Harris, Special to CNN

I could have become Michele Bachmann.

Reading a recent Bachmann profile in The New Yorker felt like attending an awkward cocktail party with former best friends whom I now stalk on the internet but haven’t spoken to in years.

The story describes Bachmann’s influences - including figures like Francis Schaeffer and David Noebel, who most Americans have never heard of but who are superstars in conservative Christian circles - and I found them all familiar faces from my childhood as a culture warrior.

Bachmann wins Iowa straw poll

These are people Bachmann admires and people I once admired, too.

Bachmann has protested at abortion clinics. I was attending abortion protests when I was still too young to hold a sign or even walk.

Bachmann began trying to combat the influence of liberals and secular humanists after encountering Francis Schaeffer’s 1970s’-era video series "How Should We Then Live," a plea to reclaim Western institutions from the corruption of secularism.

I watched the series with my parents as a child

Bachmann served on the board of directors for Summit Ministries, which sponsors conferences and institutes aimed at equipping evangelicals with a Christian worldview. I attended Summit Ministries’ Student Worldview Conference as a 15-year-old.

On the first night of the program, I sat rapt through a talk about a Christian dress code that spelled out the width of the shoulder straps I was permitted to wear, which was not a problem for me because I had brought only oversized Republican campaign t-shirts and shorts that were styled for a 35-year-old mom.

They gave us a handy worldview chart that had a vertical column for every area of life - economics, politics, pyschology, law - and a horizontal column that showed how Muslims, humanists, Marxists and New-Agers were wrong on every count.

The program’s leaders said that the Bible calls for limited government, and that God’s law and nature’s law were good foundations for a legal system. The Christian believes the free enterprise system to be more compatible with his worldview than other economic systems, I learned.

One night, the Summit Ministries instructors showed us a film whose central premise was that anal sex spreads awful diseases.

Terrified of all sex, I clenched my fists and closed my eyes and pretended to fall asleep like the boy up the aisle, who nodded off every day.

I developed a trembling crush on the boy I sat next to but squelched the attraction because the Summit speakers told me it was admirable to forgo romance and holding hands until engagement. We played card games instead.

I emerged from Summit finding that my fervor to stop abortion had grown from a disagreeable duty to an outright passion. I bought pro-life t-shirts.

When I came back filled with worldview fervor, I read a book co-authored by David Noebel, the Summit Ministries leader whose writings Bachmann recommended.

It rumbled apocalyptic warnings that humanists, from the NAACP to the Rockefeller Foundation to the National Council of Churches, were conspiring to build a one-world socialist order. I began to secretly find Noebel a little bit kooky.

Still, my family purchased his curriculum and submitted our homeschool speech and debate class to a rigorous worldview training. I took worldview quizzes that graded my ability to reflexively respond to all questions with answers about the Christian worldview of limited government and free enterprise.

I aced the quizzes. I had memorized it all and could spit it back.

Bachmann worked for John Eidsmoe, a man who argued the southern states had a “constitutional right to secede,” and she admired the writing of J. Steven Wilkins, who said that slaves led a “comfortable, though — by modern standards—spare existence.”

Throughout my high school years, I soldiered along with an organization that ran religio-political boot camps populated with ardent Southerners who still possessed Confederate money and auctioned it off - to frenzied bidding - at camp auctions.

The students and staff said the same thing Eidsmoe did. The Civil War wasn’t about racism, they argued, but state’s rights and freedom.

But by the time I heard these arguments, they enraged me. While competing in a home school speech tournament during high school, I wrote a speech that called on public school students to commit acts of civil disobedience by praying in public schools.

In my research I discovered Martin Luther King, Jr., a model of nonviolent resistance and the leader of a movement that seemed to me so just and Christian in the face of laws so clearly evil.

Seeing pictures of Southern police officers using a fire hose to flay the clothes and skin off of teenage civil rights protesters, I became livid at anyone who praised the virtue of the Confederacy or of the Jim Crow South.

Over the years I began to doubt what I’d been taught — that we could find in the Bible the final answers to our questions about the minutiae of 21st century tax policy and the path to economic growth. I saw Christians yell at gay activists, obsess over sex, and enforce ideological purity instead of reducing abortions or helping the poor.

I began to think that our Christian duty was not to make our country’s laws conform to our private morality but to heal the broken-hearted and bind up their wounds.

The political principles I now embrace - human equality, human dignity, and human rights — align less with Schaeffer and more with King, who not only marched for civil rights for African-Americans but also launched the Poor People’s Campaign and fought for the economic rights of all, black and white.

These principles come from a Christian passion for justice but are not, like Bachmann’s worldview, exclusive to Christianity. I have abandoned neither politics nor my Christian faith but the idea of a “worldview” where all spiritual questions have political answers, and all political problems have spiritual solutions.

Newsweek’s latest cover calls Bachmann the “Queen of Rage.” I can testify to the rage her beliefs inspire, a rage that is focused inward - on protecting the sanctity of an iron-clad worldview, battling all the heretics who dare to believe something different, and seeing life from the bunker of a besieged and victimized faith.

I still have some rage, but it’s no longer focused on the secular humanists and tax-collectors. The rage exists on behalf of our wounded world, at the suffering of the poor and the exploitative practices of the rich and powerful. It’s exactly what the Old Testament prophets bellow at me to do.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Alisa Harris.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Michele Bachmann • Opinion • Politics

soundoff (1,502 Responses)
  1. DS

Good smear job. Guilt by association. BTW, liberalism is not Christianity. See Gresham Machen's "Liberalism and Chrisitianity" and oldie byt goodie.

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • coyotewise

I read that once, but then figured that old fashioned Liberals, such as Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, etc. were very conservative, They conserved what liberty they had under King George, and then extended that freedom by disengaging from England politically. They then fought tooth and nail to preserve (conserve) that liberty. As you may have noticed, progressives have a penchant for taking a word that means one thing, and twisting to mean something diametrically opposed to its original. Liberal being one of the first.

August 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  2. nonterrorist

No, Alisa Harris, you couldn't have become Michele Bachmann because Michele Bachmann "gets it" and you don't. If more of our laws reflected Biblical morality, there wouldn't be so many broken-hearted people needing to have their wounds bound up in the first place. The Ten Commandments don't have any expiration date. "Love your neighbor as you love yourself" doesn't have any expiration date. Loving our neighbor doesn't mean that we don't have to guard against our neighbor's false and harmful ideologies and speak out against those false and harmful ideologies. If you really care about someone, you don't want that person to be deceived by someone's hidden agenda.

August 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Colin

Does killing your enemy, slavery or drunken father-daughter in.cest have an expiration date, because last I checked they were all condoned and promoted by you moral compass book.

August 15, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Bb

Yes and the world is 5000 years old and women should be subservient to man and all these other so called great christioan values that are tacked on to the ones everybody can agree on. Religious people of all denominations are scary and if you want to pray for something then pray that the secular society survives, because othereise it may not be your flavor of religious value that prevails...

August 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Pey

The only law is the law of LOVE. Go look that up "christian".

August 15, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

There seems to be way toooo any "Lilith" freaks out there! Get thee behind me Lilith loathers!!!!!!

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • jim

You're right, she could never have become Bachmann, she has a brain and is not nearly as vile and crazy as Bachmann!

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

any,,,,,,,,,,,, I meant "MANY"

August 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • Ozzy

You actually believe you can legislate morality? I am at a loss for words and can't believe that you actually use the internet, have you seen the your neighbor's false and harmful ideologies out there, man I'll bet your head is going to explode. You should go to church and pray for all out hidden agendas. In fact mine new agenda is to pray that people such as yourself STFU.

August 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • AGuest9

Lies like providing prosperity, but only causing pine box after pine box of pieces of GIs to return home to the ching-ching of the defense contractors purses, with unimaginable debt created for our children and grandchildren? Oh, let's see, that would be the 5th, 7th, and if you consider the non-existent WMDs, the 8th, too. So much for holy Republicans. By the way, cutting Social Security violates your 4th, also, by not honoring your mother and father.

August 15, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Michael

Remember all of the Hate Mongering that went on because of the fear that electing any Muslim would "automatically" lead to Sharia Law? So riddle me this: what's the difference between Sharia Law and "Morality Law" as defined by the Chrsitian Right? How many people have lied in the name of Christ? And how many millions have dies in the name of Christ? Are the pro-lifers going to adopt ALL that would have been aborted? How'd that "Family Values" thing work out for Palin, she whose daughter had a child out of wedlock? And what about all of the lying, stealing and cheating evangicals you've seen on TV in years past? I am NOT a Christian, by choice, choosing instead to lean an honorable life by not lying, cheating or stealing ... and being as absolutely "color blind" as possible, preferring instead to let a person's character speak instead of the color of their skin. So tell me, "nonterroist" which of us leads the better life?

August 15, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • RdclCntrst

Um, there's nothing "hidden" about Ms. Harris' agenda–she wrote a clumn and a book about it about her perspective. The point of a "hidden agenda"–some would say the DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC of a "hidden agenda"–is that it be HIDDEN. On the other hand, commentators like Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Andrew Breitbart are always yammering on about the Evil Left and their hidden agenda–but it's just for ratings. Stop using scare tactics.
      Or you could talk about REAL "hidden agendas" like fawning obscenely over the US Const-!-tution, claiming it to be perfect and inviolable–while all the while striving to add not one but TWO amendments (federal marriage amendment and balanced budget amendment). You could call that doublespeak evidence of a "hidden agenda".
      Another example of a "hidden agenda" would be signing a pledge to ban p 0 r n 0 graphy–which has been declared over and over again to be protected by the First Amendment to the Const-!-t-ution; talking about how much you love the Bill of Rights while working to limit them could charitably be called a "hidden agenda"; at worst, it's rank hypocrisy.

August 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • coyotewise

Pey, you are absolutely correct. Jesus said that all the law was wrapped up in two simple (though apparently hard to implement) laws. 1) Love God with your whole heart, mind, body and soul. 2) Love your neighbor as you love yourself. These are hard for some folks. Especially #2, as there are so many who truly have no love for themselves and certainly show a greater amount of hate for their neighbors.

August 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  3. Reality

. Harris and M. Bachmann:-–––

Why the Christian Right no longer matters in presidential elections:

Once again, all the conservative votes in the country "ain't" going to help a "pro-life" presidential candidate, i.e Rick Perry, Mitt Romney, Jon Huntsman, Michele Bachmann, Tim Pawlenty, Herman Cain, Ron Paul or Rick Santorum, in 2012 as the "Immoral Majority" rules the country and will be doing so for awhile. The "Immoral Majority" you ask?

The fastest growing USA voting bloc: In 2008, the 70+ million "Roe vs. Wade mothers and fathers" of aborted womb-babies" whose ranks grow by two million per year i.e. 78+ million "IM" voters in 2012.

2008 Presidential popular vote results:

69,456,897 for pro-abortion/choice BO, 59,934,814 for "pro-life" JM.

And all because many women fail to take the Pill once a day or men fail to use a condom even though in most cases these men have them in their pockets. (maybe they should be called the "Stupid Majority"?)

(The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions ( one million/yr) and S-TDs (19 million/yr) in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer birth control methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs)

August 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  4. Recovering Republican

I could be like Bachmann too, but wait, I am not coockoo for GOP Puffs. I am so sick of Right Wing Extremist nut jobs representing the Right. Not all Republicans are nuts, some of us actually love others unconditionally, and follow the example Jesus left us. Jesus does not really care about Taxes, He only cares about our souls, and about taking care of EVERYONE, which includes Liberals and Muslims.
    If you support Bachmann, then stop talking trash about Muslim extrememist, because you are more like them, than you are like our role model Jesus.

August 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Atheist

...Jesus isn't my role model....

August 15, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • timsaxm

We need more of you!! I am a Democrat but I welcome the sane part of the Republican Party. The centered Republican Party have plenty of good ideas. Please stand up and take your party back from the extremes!!

August 15, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • coyotewise

Jesus taught that folks should give willingly from their own pockets. He never did advocate removal of free will in that decision, yet that is what you are claiming as justification for the forced confiscation of tax dollars for the purpose of charity. I think you'd do better appealing to Marx as an authority on this, than Jesus. Jesus was also quite clear when he told the Apostles that, should any town or people reject the Gospel, to shake the dust of that town/people off their feet and leave them to God's judgement. So, it is very Christ-like to not engage with those who have rejected the teachings of Jesus. I'm sure you can figure out which folks might fall in that category, and which folks do not. Does this mean that the Christian is supposed to forget about these people? No, they/we are supposed to continue to pray for their salvation, just as they/we should pray for yours.

August 15, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  5. bachmanntwit

FACT: Michele Bachmann's husband, Marcus Bachmann, is gay. And he likes to wear a thong.

August 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Pey

Please get that image out of my head. Bachman's husband in a thong. Blech!

August 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
  6. joe krupinski

In my limited knowledge of national politics and an Obama supporter in the last election, Michele Bachman has come out of the blue with the intriguing possibility to become our first Woman President. That has a nice ring to it. Of course, she IS a conservative evangelist, dead against abortion, and probably a lot of other things that I am in favor or disfavor of. Iowa is hardly the acid test. It is a pleasant little beginning that could become big. But head starts don't always work out well. Whatever. Senator Bachman, however, has given the 2012 presidential election an electrifyingly open blast. She has our attention. Also, of course, that of the Democrat leadership, Republican Committee, voters and even Tea Party teetotalers who are willing to grasp at straws to stay alive and intact. Will or does Bachman embrace the Tea Party in its turmoil and turnaround fate? Well, I have digressed a little because of my personal disdain toward that faction. This is all about Bachman without the Tea Party. If she is smart, she will disavow any connection with that group. Rick Perry came aboard AFTER the Iowa straw poll but certainly will be a factor in the selection process. Mitt Romney didn't gain any ground here. Ron Paul did, making a second-place showing. Bachman seems to have wipe Sarah Palin right off the map. Sorry, Sarah..
    Well, we will all learn more about Michele Bachman in the coming months, including why she spells her first name with only one L. That's how involved and personal it will get, folks. What she eats for breakfast, what brand of makeup, what does she do for exercise. Is she dominated by her husband? The answers will come, fellow voters, don't dismay. This lady will go from a darkhorse to a household word. And households is where her support will stem from. You can bet women across the country are excited about the prospect. A 'sister' in the White House and not as First Lady. How's that sound to you.

August 15, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
    • Reality

It is Michele Bachmann and she is a Representative in US Congress i.e. not a Senator.

August 15, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

I have no "sister" but do have but 1 bro almost 10 yrs younger. HHMMMM a "stepsister" and pres.? I honestly dun think I would want one in the waterhouse of ill got gains! TYVM but NTs

August 15, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • shannon g

You must have forgotten about Hillary. She is the one who made it possible for women to believe that they can become President and shattered the glass ceiling.

August 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • MomOf3

A 'sister' in the White House would sound better if her name was Hilary Clinton! And, as a woman, I would never vote for a woman just because she is a woman. But that's just me...

August 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • heynow

shannon – seriously? What about Geraldine Ferraro?

August 15, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • tallulah13

Heynow, Ferraro was on the ticket as Vice President. Hillary was running for the top job.

August 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Woman

I am glad the author read about Martin Luther King. He was a great man. He preached peace.
    The Michelle Bachmann type of politician gets ahead by dissing blacks (and gays), meanwhile they say slavery wasn't that bad. They are nuts.
    No logic. Like Gov. Perry. How can you be pro-session for Texas and then turn around and run for president?

August 15, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • bossmanham

Quote her doing so you ignorant lying ass of a liberal. Prove it.

August 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Yeah, I want to see that proof as well.

August 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • tallulah13

Here is a link to the story

All I had to do was google "Bachmann on Slavery", and the story showed up right away. At the very least you could look for yourself before you call someone a liar. I do that when christians actually make specific claims.

August 15, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  8. Anonymous

The question that remains is: how is it that you came to the conclusions you did, which are correct in my opinion, and a hack like Bachman is a senator. Why as a country do people buy into or allow someone with such distortions about reality to rise to prominence. It makes no sense to me. Ever notice how there are no poor people in Congress? It is so cost prohibitive to become elected, due to the financial support that is required, that it is entirely possible for nutty, yet wealthy, people to become elected. Weird place this is.

August 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Drew Williams

Shouldn't bee too surprising. Shadowy creeps like the Koch brothers need a big smile and nice hair to roll out in public. When they find one supportive of their main cause - to do whatever it takes to move from filthy rich to obscenely rich - they back that person, no matter what their fringe beliefs. With half the country angry, scared, resentful and barely literate, it's not as tough as you might think.

August 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Colin

Unfortunately, if you poll 1,000 voters, you will find that the majority believe in the same Iron Age sky-god she does and that the same voters are intellectually incapable of distinguishing between the morality of Christianity and the supernatural elements of it. They seem to think that dispensing with the latter means the former will crumble.

August 15, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
  9. trixen

Bachmann makes my skin crawl.

August 15, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • Darreld

Liberals make my skin crawl.

August 15, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Atheist

Politicians make my skin crawl

August 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
    • bachmanntwit

Nascar makes my skin crawl.

August 15, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • heynow

Skin makes my...oh wait.

August 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  10. Drew Williams

The Mad Woman of Minnesota is nothing new ... she's the same old Religious Right power broker, now wrapped up un a shiny new populist business suit called "The Tea Party." Like Pat Robertson before her, her Presidential ambitions will crumble under the glare of scrutiny.

August 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  11. Bob

Alissa,
    Martin Luther King was a Republican.

August 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Drew Williams

Thanks for rolling out that tired old myth.

August 15, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Ben

So what if he was? Not all Republicans are hyper-conservative nutjobs, and not all Democrats are hyper-liberal nutjobs.

August 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Darreld

It's not a myth. It's a fact.

August 15, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • shannon g

Well he not running for President is he. So your comment means what?

August 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
    • MDaniels

Many Republicans pre-1970 would be considered bleeding heart liberals by today's standards.

August 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • coyotewise

MDaniels, what are you smoking, "Many Republicans pre-1970 would be considered bleeding heart liberals by today's standards"? Do you realize how rediculous that statement is? Republican's have never wanted anything but that ALL people should be treated equally, and the Republicans have historically (and to this day) desired nothing but. It is the liberals of this country (what a misnomer, to call Democrats liberals. What is it but slavery when one is forced to work for the good of another citizen? Certainly not liberty.) who look to treat this one different from that one, based on some characteristic held or expressed by those in either group. Funny, though, that the majority of monies received by the various charitable organizations comes mostly from conservative Christians. But, that is a difference that you would not understand. A gift given freely, as opposed to one forcibly taken by the government.

August 15, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  12. Matt

I never could understand the rage and propaganda that is directed towards humanism and Atheism. Sure, ever Christian needs something/someone/ some group to hate, but why Atheists? By and large, the worst they've done in modern times is put up billboards challenging the existence of God "Ohhh so taboo!". Maybe people should listen to each other rather than demonizing everyone that doesn't agree.

August 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Laughing

I agree, though they are brainwashed to believe that all atheists are the anti-christ. Atheists also have the solid ground of proof that gives us the edge in conv.incing people how the world really works and what we can do to actually change it for the better instead of just praying someone else will do it.

The vatican (and all other protestants out there) are afraid of losing the power that they have, so they preach humil.ity. They're worried about the lost revenue if people stop ti.thing so they preach charity, but only christian charity. They're worried that the idea of heaven and hel.l will uncovered as what they actually are, fantasy. Since this is the main source of their power they have to get people to believe that heaven and hel.l exists and only the clergy can usher them there.

August 15, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • DamianKnight

It's not simply Christians who get irate. If you've read these boards for long enough, there is fire from both sides. It's disgusting. But hatred has nothing to do with Christianity. Hatred has to do with people. People need something to hate, to blame their problems on. Sad state of things, but it's the truth.

August 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Laughing

Damain

I absolutely agree, the issue here though isn't just that there are hateful people who want to focus their hate on others, it's that they get validation and even praise for it by some (not all) christian chuches which is the main issue. I won't say that all atheists are good, level-headed people, I'm reading dawkins right now and although I've found myself agreeing with a lot of his points, how he presents is clearly just to be antognistic at best. The truely scary thing here is that sometimes the church makes people hate others when they wouldn't normally have done so except their faith says they should.

August 15, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Laughing,

There is a lot of truth in what you say. Christians are no different than other people. Hatred abounds in secular circles as well as Christian circles. And any church which is preaching hatred, is following someone, but that some is certainly not Christ.

August 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Laughing

Well..... your version of christ. Cherry picking abounds wherever the bible is and its easy to take anything christ said out of context to rationalize your behaviour and say that a person is more of a christ follower because he said quote A even though quote B might contradict it.

August 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
  13. john

Boy it truly gets old for all the writers who rely on the coat tails of someone in the news or politics to sell books. Another wasted use of paper. She is a hack!I bet her next book will be about how CNN corupted her life. All in the need for money!

August 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  14. McJesus

I could have been Bachmann too. I just had to toss all logic and education out the window. Think the Earth is a few thousand years old. Believe that fairies in the sky, and red skinned evil dudes live below the ground. Then based on those mythological assumptions: base all decisions upon a bronze age tome written by men who lived in mud huts and were lucky to live beyond the age of 35.

August 15, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • Drew Williams

LOL!

August 15, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  15. mikeonthebay

You are so enlightened, bet you only date european men too.

August 15, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Janet32

They have idealogies taging along with their policies im not willing to accept

August 15, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Robert

Hey Mikeonthebay,

Actually she is enlightened. She took the time to see issues from both sides instead of taking a bunker mentality that precludes investigation and thoughtful introspection, much like you and Michelle and Perry and Boehner and all the tea baggers. I pity you and your ilk.

August 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  16. Janet32

I don't think anyone is giving Obama a chance to succeed. Originally, he wanted to reshape the way American policies worked. No one gave him a chance. For the most part, he is still running on Bush economic policies. American's don't know what Obama promised and they don't care, they won't let him try. They blockade him with their ideologies (if I hear a Tea Bagger say communist one more time... as if they don't know what communism is). Even more, think if "no compromise – stuck in my own little world" Bachmann won the GOP nomination. Centrist and Liberals will vote, they will come out in masses for that women to not win. They should be careful who they nominate.

August 15, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Edward

I have no doubt that Obama means the best for the country but after 3 years,he simply has not delivered any of the changes that he promised the country. After a point, he had to do something about the problems of the country but so far, things have only gotten worse. To continue blaming Bush, rightly or wrongly, is simply no longer a viable option. Unless things shape up and fast, he will have to suffer the fate of Carter and Bush Sr. and be denied re-election.

Having said that, there is nobody on the Republican side who can do a better job. Even so, I will go Republican because Obama simply hasn't shown that he is up to the job.

August 15, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
    • Laughing

I hope with all my heart that Bachman wins the nomination, that'll basically seal the deal for Obama's reelection. As for your initial point, Obama isn't completely clean. He did come into office with lofty goals and has had a hard time making those promises realities. In part because of disgusting partisan policy and repubs blocking him at every turn to try and show that the country isn't working under his watch, but I think he also got a much bigger picture of the state of the US when he took office and realized that some of his goals just weren't viabale. I think if (or rather, when) he gets reelected is when we'll see the real fireworks because he won't have to worry about winning presidency again so he'll inst.tute policy that he couldn't in his first term.

Here's hoping

August 15, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  17. Bachmann

Whatever.... you could have been Bill Gates too.

August 15, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Pastafarian

Bill Gates isn't a scary, narrow-minded, racist, biggoted jesus freak. Michele is. So not a good comparison.

August 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  18. aurorasmith

And she's a maroon

August 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  19. stephen douglas

The fact that Bachman literally bought votes in that straw pole just reinforces what is wrong with our system. It can be bought. Period. From something as simple as a grassroots gathering to the major debates and elections, it is all about the money. We need someone who really does not necessarily want the job, but wants to step in and help the country.

Ron Paul and Herman Cain are the only two who come to mind after watching the debates. Cain with a common sense approach and a proven track record of leadership; and Ron Paul with a fire that cannot be stopped.

As for Bachman, I have not followed her that closely, but that one tactic just made me totally against her.

August 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  20. Janet32

Quite honestly there's no choice is you have any common sense at all. Though I've been disappointed in Obama's level of compromise (too much is not good either), he's been handed a pile of crap to work with given the objective of the GOP has always been to see him (and thus our country) fail. That by itself would win my vote, but I also know he is the only hope for keeping our country from regressing big time back into the grubby claws of the GOP and their wealthy cronies. It's time for the middle class to fight hard to keep religion out of our legislative process. They scream for smaller government yet have no qualms imposing government in to our personal lives and decisions. That's a waste of tax money in itself.

August 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

One day I hope you see that both parties are grubby hands.

August 15, 2011 at 12:23 pm |