home
RSS
August 16th, 2011

Meet the Orthodox rabbi helping gay men to marry lesbians

Six years ago, Areleh Harel, an Orthodox rabbi from the West Bank, devised a plan to help an Orthodox Jewish gay man fulfill his dream of becoming a husband and father while keeping him in good standing with the Jewish law and his community of believers. The solution: Marry him to a lesbian.

Through a friend, Harel found an Orthodox lesbian who also wanted a traditional family. Within a year, the couple married. They now have two children. No one suspects they are gay. Since that first arrangement, Harel has matched 13 gay-lesbian couples.

Until this spring, a handful of people knew of his matchmaking project. Then Harel mentioned it during a panel discussion in Jerusalem on gay rights. A local reporter wrote about it and the news went viral.

Read the full story at Time.com
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Gay marriage • Gay rights • Judaism

1. Lucifer's Knobbly Knees

This entire blog is hilarous.

September 15, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  2. Jen

I I'm hesitant to tell other adults how to live their lives, but it's hard for me to imagine being married to one person for procreation and being partnered with another 'significant other.' I would find that difficult to impossible and can't imagine bringing kids into such a situation. My personal opinion only; if it works for them, more power to them...

September 15, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  3. Love2All

This is what I call "Gay Marriage." They get to be married and the spouses have no objections to the other's lovers.

September 15, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  4. Julia

I think this is the stupiest idea since the invention of rock and roll. What is the f'ing point? Are they ashamed of who they are? They don't deserve to be gay. Being gay is great. Why would you want to pretend to be straight?

September 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Steve

What's so stupid about rock n roll?

September 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  5. Terri

I have always thought this is a great idea!! And I personally know a couple who have done that and have been happily married for 30+ years!! If you want to believe that God created you to be gay, then here is your answer to the controversy with your faith. It is the proverbial 'open window' to a shut door. Just my opinion.

September 1, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  6. CheeseSteak

Can his wife have a girlfriend stay over? I'd be up for that!

August 28, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  7. Rocky

I'd better not catch her shaving with my Norelco electric razor!!

August 25, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
  8. Mark

I'd like to get me one of those wives, too.

August 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  9. csx

He has not read the OT? It is ok for former gae sinners to marry, but they cannot be gae.

It would be like him matching murderers or adulterers. Another loony tune artcle.

August 25, 2011 at 12:03 am |