home
RSS
Moses' journey now a Facebook game
The Journey of Moses is the first biblically-based Facebook game.
August 16th, 2011

Moses' journey now a Facebook game

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN) - Moses is a cartoon with a big head, a small body and beady black button eyes with a spiky grey beard and spongy grey hair in a new game on Facebook.

The art style is meant to reflect "the casual social game" that it is, says Brent Dusing, CEO of Hexify, creator of the first biblically based Facebook game, The Journey of Moses. "It's a fun, immersive, adventure game, so it's meant to be fun but respectful to the content and appropriate for the gravity of the story."

Dusing says "300 million people play social games on Facebook." That's close to the population of the United States, so his target audience is "anyone from 13 to over 70 ... it's a timeless story that billions around the world know."

At the beginning of the game, pharoah's daughter, reminiscent of a Cleopatra bobble-head, picks up a bundled baby Moses and cradles him in her arms.

Moses is often portrayed as a great stutterer, timid of speaking in public, but in the game he is soon called a man schooled in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, molded into a Moses "powerful in speech and in action."

"Moses starts out as the grandson essentially of the king of the world," Dusing said.

From that starting point, any Facebook user who agrees to the terms of the application can invite friends to immerse themselves in a social game revolving around the life and journey of the religious figure.

It's free, but users can purchase elements along the way to better their experience in the game.

The Journey of Moses, like Facebook itself, is addictive, and advancement through the game, in which there is "no winning or losing," is contingent on social connections.

"It's an adventure quest game," or a "map exploration game," Dusing said. "A little bit like Zelda merged with the Moses story - that kind of gameplay where you're exploring different areas and find different items and meet different people to propel the story."

The small map expands exponentially as one gets further into the game. The player has to add friends to achieve certain things, thereby enabling Moses to pick up items otherwise locked to him in the game. The player must participate with friends as a collective to progress through certain parts of the story.

Brent Dusing is a Christian, but Hexify is not a Christian company, and this is not its first foray into the lucrative sea of Facebook-style social adventure games.

"It's been getting a very positive reception," he says, "with quite a few people playing it already."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Technology

1. XW

people play games about demons, dragons, gangs etc...so why will it bother you that other people want to play this new game? Hey if you do not like it, don't play it, every 1 can play what ever they want to play ...end of the story.

August 17, 2011 at 9:09 am |
    • The Guy

It doesn't bother me all that much but for those it does bother I would venture to guess it bothers them because 99% of the people who play games about dragons, demons, and made up gangs know it's actually fake. You shut down the game and it's over. Back to reality. The developers and users aren't going to claim that there is in fact a world of warcraft somewhere off in space.

This game is based on events which the developers and most users will claim are real.

I'm actually dying to try this game out to see how much bible pushing there is. Maybe some messages claiming condoms spread STDs will be slugged in there, too.

August 17, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • XW

I can understand, but is people's choice you know...nothing we can do...I am not going to get myself mad or upset about something that Is not my business...every body can deal with their own stuff...have a great day 🙂

August 17, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • Anon

This type of mentality is why Michelle Bachmann or Rick Perry have a chance of actually becoming POTUS.

August 17, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  2. Jim

You guys are messed up!!! you can play your make belief games which promote nothing good on this planet and now you want to bash a game that supports over a billion people ? just remember you are the minority.. God Bless.. Cant wait to play Moses!!

August 17, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • truth

@ jim....right on! you nailed it....the one's in the minority are having an awful time of it....

August 17, 2011 at 9:18 am |
    • William Demuth

I can't wait to play Pontious Pilot!!

I keep some 2×4's, 4 spikes and a mallet in my truck, in the hopes that if your bigoted savior does come back, I can dispatch him a second time.

And this time the fourth spike goes between his eyes so he stays dead.

Damn zombie!

August 17, 2011 at 9:19 am |
  3. sublime

I am constantly in awe at the hatred that is represented within the comment sections of "religious" posts here.The atheists immediately start off with "flying spaghetti monster rants"( I wish Dawkins would have coined a better phrase) immediately followed by people (whom I suspect have children named Walker and Texas Ranger) stating emphatically that Jesus, God et all., are empirically proveable.

The only common ground amidst these posts are that neither group generally gets invited to parties. The atheists get ignored because people hate it when smug folks laugh with their eyes shut and no one likes a religious buzzkill.

I'm a Christian. I accept my faith as being unproveable. Within my faith however, I was taught that everyone deserves respect for their beliefs without ridicule or judgement. Shame on the Christians that treat folks with different beliefs, with disdain. Shame on the atheists for thinking Christians are stupid.

Both groups need to reconcile and learn that mutual respect and caring are part of both doctrines.

August 17, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • THe Balance

You must be Obama!

August 17, 2011 at 9:10 am |

Malarcky.

You had your time on the stage to promote your hatred. You have cheated little old ladies, buggered little boys and persecuted so many groups they can't be listed.

You have manipulated our democracy, corrupted our legal system, and bought our politicians with your ill gotten gains.

Luckily your days on the stage are drawing to a close.

We will finally begin holding your liars accontable, not to the laws of your imaginary Bronze Age Super Hero, but to the laws of man.

Repent if you like, but we shall show no mercy. What you sent around has come back around, and it is time for a little PAYBACK.

August 17, 2011 at 9:11 am |
    • truth

@william.....you have been fixed, right? surely you will not pass on your poison to another generation?

August 17, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • Glen

I agree "sublime" this site of full of mockers of people faith and of religion in general, while touting how much better they are are. They don't realize that Chritians are sinners saved by God's Grace called to speak the truth in love and as susceptable to making mistakes and falling from Grace. That is why we need a Savior who will help us in our walk to be better individuals and more as God would have us be individual stones and not the boring bricks, the world would have us be. That is why they are hated and reviled just as they hated our Savior.

August 17, 2011 at 9:17 am |

truth

I have many of your faiths former sheep that have born me children.

August 17, 2011 at 9:20 am |
    • truth

@william....good luck when your time comes....

August 17, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • sublime

William,

I am sad that you feel this way. There is nothing I can say that will make your feelings change. I have never done any of the things that you accuse "my people" of doing. In regards to payback, there won't be any. Nothing, sadly, will ever change as long as there is zero tolerance from either side. It's a shame.

You can blame the woes of a nation on anyone you wish but until you are part of the solution the woes will worsen.

August 17, 2011 at 9:35 am |

truth

I have no doubt that NOW is my time.

August 17, 2011 at 9:39 am |

sublime

A priest who buggered boys was recently beaten to death in prison.(I gave a thousand dollars to the killers defense fund)

A bishop who aided him is about to be indicted.

The Vatican is being bled of hundreds of millions in punitive damages, and possibly more in lost donations.

Muslim countries are making evangelisim illegal, and throw zealots into their torture chambers EVERY day

Progress is being DEFINETLY being made. And yes YOU are complicit.

Just like a racist who teaches children lies, you spread beliefs that are bad for society.

We are coming, and sorry isn't going to cut it.

August 17, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • jimtanker

sublime,

Maybe you should learn more before you mock another religion.

The FSM was not created by Dawkins. Do some research for once. The FSM has more validity than your religion. There are scientific studies to prove it.

May you all be touched by his noodly apendages.

R'amen!

August 17, 2011 at 10:14 am |

jimtanker

RAmen, I have been touched by his noodly appendage!

August 17, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Larry

William. Simple answer: God is just. My last post today so here it goes. Imagine a kid is brought before a court and charged with a crime. He is found guilty and must face justice. But there is a twist; the judge is the boy's father! Like any father, he wants to save his son from facing any judgement, but he is also a fair judge and knows that the law must be upheld and justice served. So, he finds his son guilty, orders him to pay a $500 fine or spend a week in jail. The son does not have the money and thus must serve the time. Here is the twist- the judge (father) takes off his justice robe, steps down from his bench and walks over to the bailiff. He pulls out his check book, rights a check for $500 and gives it to the court clerk. He then proceeds to walk back up to the bench, puts his robe back on and states that the fine has been paid and the defendeant is free to go! Justice must be served in a fair and just society. The judge could have simply let his son go! But he didn't. he followed a just system and paid the price himself. You see, God is a just God, and we muct pay the price for our transgressions as well. It is not that He doesn't love us, He does! So, much so, that He "decended" from heaven, took off his "robe" and paid the ultimate price for OUR TRANSGRESSIONS. No, God is not evil, He loves us so much that HE died for you, me and all mankind to pay for our sin (not His). God is not evil- man is...............................

August 17, 2011 at 11:38 am |
    • Answer

@Larry

"No, God is not evil, He loves us so much that HE died for you, me and all mankind to pay for our sin (not His). God is not evil- man is..............................."

It's your garbage. Please don't bother typing this crap out.

September 7, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  4. grist

Does the game take the player through the 7 genocides that the Bible says Moses and his people committed when they went into "The Promised Land". Does it talk about the Amalekites who were exterminated except for the young girls who were "kept for yourselves". What is this game rated?

August 17, 2011 at 8:52 am |
    • Anon

I really doubt it since all the movies and games about the myths of Moses never go beyond the book of Exodus.
      Just up to the scene where he receives the 10 commandments from Yahweh the volcano god and everyone is happy happy joy joy after that.

August 17, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  5. Jeepers

I'm sure all my Jesus freak "friends" will be all over that. That's one reason I deactivated my account. Ugh.

August 17, 2011 at 8:50 am |
  6. William Demuth

I want Churchville, where you can buy and sell the minds of peasents, cheat the government out of its taxes, bugger little kids and promote racist hateful ideology!

You can earn points for burning witches and persecuting Jews and Gays!

These points then go to a PAC that wants to destabilize the world economy and overthrow democratic governments in the name of Theocracy.

August 17, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • sheetiron

Its quite obvious that youve never really been to church.

August 17, 2011 at 8:41 am |
    • William Demuth

I have been to churches, temples, synagouges, and all manner of side shows resplendent with freaks and hucksteers.

Alas, I still can't find any differences between them.

August 17, 2011 at 8:47 am |
  7. anne

oh brother as if facebook wasnt annoying enough...

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  8. Mark

Can't wait to try it.

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 am |
  9. Lee Nader

Ya know, there are people much more intelligent than you who do believe in God and Jesus.

August 17, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • William Demuth

And their are Muslims who are smarter than you who believe in Allah.

And your point is?

August 17, 2011 at 8:33 am |
    • Colin

I understand Lee, you see I believe in leprechauns.

I believe that the Leprechaun King created the entire Universe about 6,000 years ago. I know there is a substantial amount of evidence suggesting that the Universe is significantly older than this, but I think a lot of that evidence comes from bad science, or from a worldwide conspiracy of scientists who want to deny Leprechauns. I know this because it is written in the Leprechaun Chronicles, a book cobbled together from various authors, most unknown, by our church during the Dark Ages.

The Leprechaun King lives in Leprechaun Heaven, where he where he busies himself answering prayers, running the Universe and recording the lives of humans for their final judgment before him. He is surrounded by an entire society of magical beings – his son Merlin, the Holy Leprechaun Spirit, the good fairy Mary, thousands of Leprechaun saints, fairies, pixies and the souls of many millions of dead people.

Each Leprechaun saint and pixie has a special task. For example, Saint Christopher is the patron-pixie of travelers and it is his job to intercede with the Leprechaun king on behalf of travelers to keep them safe. Most countries and professions similarly have a special Leprechaun who pays them special attention – even lawyers. There are strict rules governing the roles, responsibilities of the various Leprechauns, elves, pixies and other heavenly beings.

I believe that the Leprechaun King loves me and hears my prayers. He intervenes in my life periodically by saving me from various ills. All I have to do is think to myself and he reads my mind and answers my prayers. He loves me and when I die, provided I have lived a good life, I will go to Leprechaun Heaven, where I will live happily ever after with all other humans who have ever led good lives.

I know there is not a lot of evidence to support my beliefs, but that is just the point. The Leprechaun King wants us to have “faith,” so he never reveals himself. To make an unambiguous appearance and settle once and for all the question of his existence would deprive us of free will and, even though he is all-knowing, he would not know who his true believers were.
      In fact, I believe that the Leprechaun King is “beyond understanding”. He is “outside the Universe” and any time I am faced with something about my Leprechaun belief that makes no sense, I don’t dare question it, I just close my mind and tell myself that my mind is too small to understand the greatness of the Leprechaun King. These answers are satisfying to me.

Some people are called “atheists,” and they are skeptical of my belief in the Leprechaun King. They point out many inherent contradictions and unsupported assumptions that underwrite my belief in Leprechauns. But, they can’t prove he doesn’t exist, so he must exist. And so what! Even if I am wrong, and go my whole life believing in Leprechauns and it turns out I am wrong, I have lost nothing. However, if they are wrong, the Leprechaun King will send them to hell to burn forever in the presence of the Evil Ground Troll.

Am I convincing you to believe in Leprechauns yet?

August 17, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • midogs2

@ Colin, No!

August 17, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • Answer

@Colin

I'll subscribe! 🙂 It's a better story than theirs. Can I get the next chapter?

September 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  10. Jacob

The Bible stands like a rock undaunted
    ’Mid the raging storms of time;
    Its pages burn with the truth eternal,
    And they glow with a light sublime.

Refrain

The Bible stands though the hills may tumble,
    It will firmly stand when the earth shall crumble;
    I will plant my feet on its firm foundation,
    For the Bible stands.

The Bible stands like a mountain towering
    Far above the works of men;
    Its truth by none ever was refuted,
    And destroy it they never can.

Refrain

The Bible stands and it will forever,
    When the world has passed away;
    By inspiration it has been given,
    All its precepts I will obey.

Refrain

The Bible stands every test we give it,
    For its Author is divine;
    By grace alone I expect to live it,
    And to prove and to make it mine.

August 17, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • William Demuth

Generals gathered in their masses
      Just like witches at black masses
      Evil minds that plot destruction
      Sorcerers of death's construction
      In the fields the bodies burning
      As the war machine keeps turning
      Death and hatred to mankind
      Poisoning their brainwashed minds
      Oh lord yeah!

August 17, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • Mick

"Its pages burn with the truth eternal,
      And they glow with a light sublime."

AND, it has a talking donkey.

August 17, 2011 at 8:58 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

And did those feet in ancient times trod on america's pastures of
      green?
      And did that anthropocentric god wane with their thoughts and
      beliefs all unseen?
      I don't think so, he's up there with the others laying low
      Vying with those who you've traded your life to to bless your soul
      And have they told you how to think?
      Cleansed your mind of sepsis and automony?
      Or have you escaped scrutiny, and regaled yourself with depravity?
      Now we all see, "religion is just synthetic frippery, unnecessary in our expanding global cultural efficiency"
      Now don't you fear this impasse we have built to our future?
      Ever so near and oh so austere

August 17, 2011 at 9:01 am |
    • truth

@Jacob....AMEN!!!!!!!!! Praise be to Jesus Christ, the Lord and Savior of ALL!

August 17, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • The Guy

Anyone else see the irony in a religious person's handle as, "truth"?

August 17, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • truth

@the guy...I am not religious...just a faithful believer....and my Lord is ironic! isn;t that ironic?

August 17, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  11. Santa Claus

I wanna take Moses to Sodom and have some fun

August 17, 2011 at 8:27 am |

Soddom is like the Jersey Shore for preachers

If you rip off enough little old ladies you get to take your altar boy into the "Tunnel of Enlightenmnet" and give him the "body of Christ".

August 17, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  12. William Demuth

Cool!

Once they get a game where I can crucify Christ I will sign up!

August 17, 2011 at 8:23 am |
    • Glen

You already did, you just don't realize it yet...He williingly died one time for all sinners.

August 17, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • William Demuth

That has no replay value.

We want variety. We want to be able to burn him, or drown him, or stone him to death, or any of the other things your Bible claims he did to us.

His Palestinian rear end has a lot of explaining to do!

August 17, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • cero

They had that once upon a time, same site as hamster blast if I recall correctly. It didn't have a lot of variety, mouse over a dancing jesus (on a cross i think) and he'd go splat, but it might satisfy until someone makes a real Flash game out of it.

August 17, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  13. Voiceinthewind

This Bible is a great example of why the Jews are so Greedy, Evil, and Murderous, just read the make believe stories of the Killing of Your so called enemies for the sake of some sort of twisted religion that condones going to war and killing innocent people to take thier land and possessions. What a religion based on Lies, Killing and Greed. It explains alot about The Jews. This book should be banned for its promotion of Lies, Killing and Greed and not promoted in any way.

August 17, 2011 at 8:15 am |
    • Jacob

The Bible stands though the hills may tumble,
      It will firmly stand when the earth shall crumble;
      I will plant my feet on its firm foundation,
      For the Bible stands.

August 17, 2011 at 8:30 am |
    • Anon

The Egyptian religion lasted nearly 6,000 years until early Christians screwed it up.
      You're religion is not going to last forever and will become another myth like many others before it.

August 17, 2011 at 9:53 am |
    • Anon

Your*

August 17, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  14. Johim

Great idea. It's about time we get the Bible more exposure. It is certainly needed.

August 17, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • Barnacle Bill

What the hell are you smoking?

August 17, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • ScienceWorks

what a moron you are. More exposure for the bible. Yes The bible...My favorite fairytale book.

August 17, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • Mike

Wonder if it will teach you about how Moses killed a man or how he lead an army of soldiers who slaughtered thousands of people for no reason.

August 17, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • Sybaris

Playing the persecuted Christian this morning?

There are approximately 4 christian churches within a square mile in every major U.S. city, not including those in the suburbs and rural areas. There's christian bookstores, bibles in every hotel room, christian tv programming 24/7. christian cable networks, christian radio stations, christian hospitals, a dozen christian televangelists every Sunday morning...some every day, prayer before public events, christian billboards, god on our money, and wars fought in the name of the christian god.

Try again.

August 17, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • Jacob

The Bible stands like a mountain towering
      Far above the works of men;
      Its truth by none ever was refuted,
      And destroy it they never can.

August 17, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • anne

john's being sarcastic folks...(geez, at least i hope so)

August 17, 2011 at 8:32 am |
    • Anon

Actually reading the bible completely without jumping verses around like Christians commonly do can make you an atheist, so this is good in a way.

August 17, 2011 at 9:55 am |
  15. orangeboy

I wonder if the players get to commit virtual atrocities and genocide along with Moses, just like in the Bible? What fun!

August 17, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  16. TheyNotHim

This is where the story of moses belongs...as a video game since it's pure fantasy anyway...

August 17, 2011 at 5:14 am |
  17. American Rebel

August 17, 2011 at 4:58 am |
    • William Demuth

G+? Waht is that, something like Jesus on roids?

Or super Gatorade?

August 17, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  18. Juanko

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHUbIGLj1BI&w=560&h=349]

August 17, 2011 at 4:39 am |
  19. Ben A

Oh for the love of god..

August 17, 2011 at 4:13 am |
  20. Eric R

I would never support a game that promotes indoctrination into a false sense of reality and an inability to reason. One may argue that's a root cause of the current dismal state of our world. Too many Pseudo-Adults allowed to partake in real Adult situations.

August 17, 2011 at 3:53 am |
    • William Demuth

Sounds like your not an XBOX fan either?

August 17, 2011 at 8:55 am |