home
RSS
Moses' journey now a Facebook game
The Journey of Moses is the first biblically-based Facebook game.
August 16th, 2011

Moses' journey now a Facebook game

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN) - Moses is a cartoon with a big head, a small body and beady black button eyes with a spiky grey beard and spongy grey hair in a new game on Facebook.

The art style is meant to reflect "the casual social game" that it is, says Brent Dusing, CEO of Hexify, creator of the first biblically based Facebook game, The Journey of Moses. "It's a fun, immersive, adventure game, so it's meant to be fun but respectful to the content and appropriate for the gravity of the story."

Dusing says "300 million people play social games on Facebook." That's close to the population of the United States, so his target audience is "anyone from 13 to over 70 ... it's a timeless story that billions around the world know."

At the beginning of the game, pharoah's daughter, reminiscent of a Cleopatra bobble-head, picks up a bundled baby Moses and cradles him in her arms.

Moses is often portrayed as a great stutterer, timid of speaking in public, but in the game he is soon called a man schooled in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, molded into a Moses "powerful in speech and in action."

"Moses starts out as the grandson essentially of the king of the world," Dusing said.

From that starting point, any Facebook user who agrees to the terms of the application can invite friends to immerse themselves in a social game revolving around the life and journey of the religious figure.

It's free, but users can purchase elements along the way to better their experience in the game.

The Journey of Moses, like Facebook itself, is addictive, and advancement through the game, in which there is "no winning or losing," is contingent on social connections.

"It's an adventure quest game," or a "map exploration game," Dusing said. "A little bit like Zelda merged with the Moses story - that kind of gameplay where you're exploring different areas and find different items and meet different people to propel the story."

The small map expands exponentially as one gets further into the game. The player has to add friends to achieve certain things, thereby enabling Moses to pick up items otherwise locked to him in the game. The player must participate with friends as a collective to progress through certain parts of the story.

Brent Dusing is a Christian, but Hexify is not a Christian company, and this is not its first foray into the lucrative sea of Facebook-style social adventure games.

"It's been getting a very positive reception," he says, "with quite a few people playing it already."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Technology

1. John

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6PxnvaySw&w=640&h=390]

August 17, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • LinCA

Spam, spam, spam, spam. Hit the "Report abuse" link to get rid of this nonsense.

August 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  2. Jazzzzzzzz

that's interesting, why would an (Atheist) be on a (Belief blog) ... Hmmm

August 17, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Martin T

Why wouldn't an Atheist be on a belief blog? Actually, CNN covers stories that relate to atheism as well as religous stories. I find nothing wrong with an atheist, myself included, coming to a belief blog to express his beliefs for or against issues of faith. This is very typical mentality of the "faithful" who believe that they are the only voice that should be heard or even allowed to speak. Instead of using the opposition to either learn something new, or to bolster one's own faith, you want to sit back and wonder why anyone would even dare question your beliefs.

August 17, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  3. Christian

August 17, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  4. John

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_6PxnvaySw&w=640&h=390]
    ~

August 17, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • LinCA

Hit the "Report abuse" link to get rid of this nonsense.

August 17, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Larry

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsi6L1BFmQ&w=640&h=390]

August 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • Imagine

Ravi is so articulate.

August 17, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Sun

This is very insightful and thought provoking.

August 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  6. ivyleagueiq

This should make Democrats mad. Promoting the "truth" about human history. I'm surprised CNN would put this story on their Website since Christianity goes against the fundamental platform of the Democratic party.

August 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • William Demuth

So now the Bible is truth?

The Bible is Bronze Age political propoganda written by men, designed to control the minds of the weak willed and the mentally inferior.

Looks like it is working!

August 17, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • GodPot

Christianity goes against the fundamental platform of any government that is not a theocracy, much like Islam.

August 17, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  7. Larry

William Demuth- as much as I feel wrong for saying this, I can only imagine the horror on your face when you actually face death one day. It will happen. When you grow up and face the realities of life, I can almost garauntee you will have a very big change of heart. In the bible Paul was very much like you, but look how God changed that man. As much as you hate God, He will always love you. You are like the black sheep of the family who all hate, but whom the parents still love. Until your last breath, there will always be time to change your heart and come to know the God who loves you. Just like the thief on the cross, you can achieve the path to heaven even as death faces you directly in the face. Your goal- to turn people away from God. My goal- to turn you towards God. You may think it a myth, but if you are right and I am wrong- I have lived a much better life that does not center around me, but others and that is all. If I am right and you are wrong, again I have lived a much more meaningful life in which my goal is to love others as God loves me and I will not be seperated from pure love (God) when I leave this earth. Like so many great people who have made an impact with their life, I chose God.

August 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • William Demuth

Death and me are old freinds!

But for now I intend to play hard to get.

Don't vlaue yourself so much, it makes you look shallow.

Your fear of reality is the true tragedy.

You will live, you will die, you will rot and you will be forgotten.

How cool is that!

August 17, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • William Demuth

And as for your Gods love, I am reminded of the Lyrics of Beck, who says thats the kind of love you clean up with a mop and bucket.

Get treatment, delusuon free life is the new black!

August 17, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Larry

William :

"William Demuth

Death and me are old freinds!

She is a lover I shall enbrace deeply when the time comes, and I shall lay in her silent arms for eternity."

Thank you for making your world view very clear. How sad a life you live.......

August 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Imagine

Hey Bill- other than playing video games in your parents basement all day, what do you do for a living?

August 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Martin T

@Larry – I have to ask, what evidences do you wish to present to bolster your claims to William? I mean, really, your only evidence is based on a book, a book that was written by men at a time when the earth was flat, the sun actually sped across the sky, and there was NO understanding of simple things like science and medicine. Women did not have a voice, children were stoned for being disrespectful, mental illness was blamed on deamons, and the average lifespan of the population was less than forty.

August 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Martin T

Also @ Larry – I went back and read your post again, and I encourage you to do so if you come back here in the future. Your post is filled with an arrogance that is only reserved for the religious. Here William is saying things like he lives his life to the fullest, and you are saying things like your life has more meaning, that you live a life that is so much more than his life. You sound like you are actually gloating, and without giving even one shred of evidence to prove your point. You are doing nothing more than shouting at the moon and hoping you are right. I find it amazing when Christians assume that atheists are all evil, that we have no morals, that our lives have no meaning, and that we do nothing good for the world. I hate to burst your bubble, but MANY of the things you enjoy in life were put there by atheists who spent much of their lives improving the lives of others. As an atheist, I am only different fom you in two ways, ONE: I do not go around telling people that I am better than they are and TWO: I live my life in service to mankind, not in some deluded fantasy where god rewards me for being pious and arrogant. You are the sad one, not William, but you will never see that, so good luck with your life.

August 17, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Answer

@Larry

Attack others with emotions. Use fear. Geez when will you basket cases realize you are doomed.
      You aren't above anyone in the game of life. You don't have a greater and fuller life. Talking down at others is a key trait of your kind.

September 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
  8. Reality

Gabe noted: "it's a timeless story that billions around the world know."

What he should have said: "its a timeless myth that billions have been brainwashed with as being true."

August 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Cythara

How true. It was all invented around 536 BC. Rome was already a city at that time and REAL ancient literature like the Iliad and the Odyssey were celebrating their 4th century as world literature. Since before 1900, Archaeologists have combed Palestine, Egypt and the rest of the Near East for ANY shred of evidence that Moses ever existed and they have found NOTHING. Not until after the magic date of 536 BC, does one get evidence....not unlike looking for evidence of Santa Claus's "8 tiny reindeer' and not finding anything until after the mid 1800s, post 'Twas the Night Before Christmas'.

It is important to Israel and Zionists, however, to keep up the pretense that 'it all might just be possible' in order to keep the support of gullible Christians and Jews everywhere. The fact is...Judaism is a complete lie and Christianity, built on top of it, is just as tainted and worthless to those who claim to be seeking truth. You don't seek truth by propping up lies.

August 17, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • GodPot

The only thing timeless about the bible is it's poor system of calculating time. You have the universe created in 6 days, you have Daniel talking about weeks of years, you have Ancient humans supposedly living up to 900 years (which no fosil evidence supports) and then you have supposed eternal torture or peace based upon how you behave for the short time you are on earth.

August 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
  9. enough

Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
    and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender
    be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
    and listen to others,
    even the dull and the ignorant;
    they too have their story.
    Avoid loud and aggressive persons,
    they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter;
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
    Exercise caution in your business affairs;
    for the world is full of trickery.
    But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
    many persons strive for high ideals;
    and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
    Especially, do not feign affection.
    Neither be cynical about love;
    for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
    it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
    gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
    Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
    But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
    Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline,
    be gentle with yourself.
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you,
    no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
    whatever you conceive Him to be,
    and whatever your labors and aspirations,
    in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
    it is still a beautiful world.
    Be cheerful.
    Strive to be happy.

August 17, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • enough

The poem is called "Desiderata" by Max Ehermann, circa 1927

August 17, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

It hang above my bed as a child, along with "If" by Kipling

August 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  10. a person of the Name

@ william, living a good life is not enough to make it to heaven. You have to repent for your sins, (That means turn from them and never go back to them),be baptized in Jesus's name, and receiving the Holy Ghost. There is no other way. Read Acts.

August 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • BRC

It's a slow day, so I'll set debate about the existence of gods aside for now and focus on the implications if they really do exist.

If living a good life, and doing good works for the people around you (which seems like an admirable way to live and really all that need be asked of anyone) isn't enough for "God"; why would you follow him? If no life you lead can be enough, without stopping and paying homage, wouldn't that make that god a tyrant?

August 17, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

BRC, on this level of the conversation. (since you're speaking hypothetically as if God does exist) No it wouldnt make him a tyrant since (hypothetically) he did create every human being and everything around them that sustains life and even more. So no, what he asks of us is very minor incomparison to what he has given us.

August 17, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
    • BRC

@Disciple,
      Fair enough, that's one way to look at it, though I would disagree. I recently became a parent. As such I will raise, nurture, protect, and love my little offspring (no matter how incredibly annoying babies can be), because it is my responsibility. He doesn't owe me any thanks for this, my son didn't ask to be born, we had him, so it is on us take care of him, because we love him.
      If "God" made this whole universe, so he could put within it a single planet, fill it with people, and then demand that they worship him, then to me he is nearly the definition of a tyrant (granted an amazingly powerful one) . Benevolent leaders do what they do for the best interest of their families or there people, or their nation- because they truly have their best interests at heart. Despots and tyrants "protect" their subjects for their own personal gain and glorification. So, to me, the Bible's version of "God" s in fact, a tyrant.

August 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • William Demuth

Apparently heaven is fild with child buggerers and those who defraud little old ladies, so why would I aspire to it?

If you direct me towards it I would gladly slam a 767 into it, just for the joy of watching it burn.

August 17, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

BRC, I agree to some extent. But although your child didnt ask to be here, you do expect him to obey and respect you because you know what's best for him. Same with God. Him, being our creator he knows whats best for us and we not only owe it to him but to ourselves to obey. And yes, to a degree you are right. It is somewhat amusing for him to see his creation obey him. That's the reason we have free will and werenty created as Robots. He enjoys to see people serve him at their own will. So in actuality he does fulfill his responsibility to care for us. But each man is given a choice to benefit from the laws he gave us for our benefit, not his.

August 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William, you are defining heaven according to what POPULAR Christians believe. I agree that if their requirements for heaven admission were true it would be a terrible place. But, you can be certain that heaven is only filled with spirit sons of God. The ones who are bought from the earth are only ones who fully dedicated their life to following Christ.

August 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

Disciple Mikey

No, in fact I am defining heaven as a place that only exists in the minds of indoctrinated simpletons.

An eternal carrot to contrast the eternal stick of hell, that is usefull in the fleecing of gullible Christians.

It no more exsist than the planet Klingon does.

August 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • BRC

@Disciple,
      You're part right. I only expect my son to obey me if I'm actually a good parent. If I am as attentive as I can be, me his needs to the best of my means and ability, and only act in ways that are truly in his best interest (and yes that does sometimes mean letting him get in trouble to learn a lesson); then he should listen to me. But that is for HIS own best interest. If I am a lazy, absentee, or downright abusive parent, he owes me no allegiance. And what's more, I still NEVER expect him to say thank you.

Now you start getting into the intricacies of a good god, versus the "God" of the bible. Biblical God admits that he is jealous and wrathful and demands observance. And a little pain here and there to learn is to be expected, but some of the horrible things that people do and that happen to people for no reason go far beyond "learning" on any reasonable scale. To me, that's not being a good parent; we're back to being a tyrant again.

What would make more sense, especially when you take into account free will, would be a deity, crafting the universe, and letting life go where it will. A being that powerful, who would clearly understand the concept of free will, and the immense difference between an omniscient singular universe shaping force, and a simple little carbon based organism, would realize that the humans can't even understand the deity, and certainly wouldn't have any expectation of reverence (and wouldn't care besides; if you can craft the universe, a person means nothing). The only time that god would want to see thanks, is when they took direct action, which makes reasonable sense, thanks for what is given, not for what would have naturally occurred anyway. But, since I can't think of any current cases of direct divine intervention, I can't think of any reason to give thanks.

August 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William, thanks for agreeing to speak with me on this level. But again, only popular Christians are indoctrinated. True Christians have every reason to believe the Bible is God's inspired word. I'm just curious, why don't you believ that God exists. And not on the basis of what you see popular Christians in America doing. But why don't you trust the God;s evidence in creation. I truly want to know, and not to judge. I dont believe, nor do I expect, everyone to have the same viewpoint as me.

August 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm |

Disciple Mikey

I believe your God is a lie for the same reasons you believe Allah, or Zoroastor, or Zues, or Juno, or Banatija, or Apollo, or any of the other thousand or so made up dieties are.

They are ALL lies designed to seperate fools from their money, and to rationalize bigotry, racisim, war, and all the other abominations of man that are justified with the supernatural.

It is time for us to grow up as a race and leave our childishness and hatred behind.

There is no God that perfers any of us over another, and if he did exist I would GLADLY kill him again.

August 17, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • GodPot

@Disciple – "although your child didnt ask to be here, you do expect him to obey and respect you because you know what's best for him. Same with God."

Ok, so staying with the premise he exists, and assuming he knows what is best for us, back to the original question, why would he have any problem if someone was being a good person, being kind to others and living the exact same way that this God wants them to, minus the prostrating and praying? This would be akin to a parent demanding that their child not only behave properly, but to get on their knee's a few times a day and grovel at their parents feet. Why? Why is being good not good enough? Why is just looking up at the sky and thanking the unknown nameless powers of the universe for your existence not enough but must be directed to some specific race or religions deity for salvation?

Yes, I already know the Christian answer of "Well, thats because our God made you so you should thank him directly since our book says that he is a jealous God." which just takes us back down the road of "prove your God exists, then we'll get to whether or not he made everything".

August 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

BRC, you are definitely a person who reasons, and i greatly respect that. God does not think on the same level as humans. You are judging according to the same stadards as you would judge a man. If there is a creator, shouldnt HE and HE only have the right to set the standards for whats right and wrong? Your understanding of right and wrong is based on what you learned and experienced here on earth. Remember, God is not only jealous, and wrathful, but judicial as well. And he is a fair judge. He did create everything perfect in the beginning, but man decided to use his free will to disobey him. That, in turn, led him to make adjustments to accomplish his will again. The world you see now is Satan's, and God is allowing him to prove to himself and humans that his way (although temporarily satisfying for humans) for ruling humans is nothing compared to God's way. This issue was challenged by Satan, in the garden of Eden and again with Job, even down to our day. Once his appointed time arrives, then he will gain control again. But until then, we can enjoy a relatively satisfying life, if we obey his commandments. So, in effect, he isnt absent and does take care of us.

August 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Anon

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUVXEmJRGns&w=640&h=390]

August 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

praying to God is the only means of communication we have to him. A parent communicates with their child by speaking, but we pray to God. And yes, praise is required since He has given us everything. It's not radical or extreme like you make it sound. I know that BRC says he doesnt, but most parents think its reasonable for their child to say please and thank you. But as you said, the evidence in creation isnt enough for you to even believe that God exists so while I respect and understand your viewpoint, we must agree to disagree.

August 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Im sorry William, I didnt address everything in your post. But again, it is the popular Christians that use the Bible to justify bigotry, war, and hatred. Jesus never taught any of that, and true Christians today don't either. Nor do they judge, they strive to live peacefully with all. Granted, we do preach but we don't "browbeat" or keep trying to persuade. All we can do is teach speak of God's will and leave if they dont want to accept.

August 17, 2011 at 2:20 pm |

Disciple Mikey

Actually what you can do is step out of the dark ages and recognize that he, like all the other false Gods, are merely creations of men.

Leave the Bronze Age in the Bronze age.

We are on our own, with nothing and no one to help us or curse us.

We need to take the reins and steer our species forward, and not towards the Armmageddeon you all covet.

August 17, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William, God's word benefits me TODAY, I am in no way affiliated with a bronze age. I noticed you said that "We need to take the reins and steer our species forward," I guess "We" meaning men. And youre right, but since the dawn of civilization has man been able to do so? Of course man has made technological and scientific breakthroughs but we lived without those things at one point. What about mankind's real problems? It seems that whats unreasonable is to put ones faith in men (given their track record). And no, I'm sure you dont think God has a great track record with man either, but looking at things the correct way you can see otherwise. Man has dominated man to his injury and once God's apopointed day (again being just) is here then he will intervene.

August 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm |

Disciple Mikey

You drink your own Kool Aid.

What we have WE built., Not your God, not their God, in fact no Gods were involved at all.

For better or worse, we sink or swim by our own hands, and your imaginary freinds have nothing to do with it, except as in as much as they give madmen rationalization fir their crimes.

We have tolerated the lies for centuries, but our tolerance is gone.

August 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Thanks for the conversation William. I can only assume that you have more personal reasons why you dont believe what is seen. Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be a bit of a rebellious streak in you from your earlier posts. I think you said, even If Jesus did exist you would kill him again. What i heard was, even if I'm wrong I'm right. So our conversation was really for nothing because even if I convinced you (fat chance right lol) you still would rebel. You are very reasonable about a lot things, so i pray that you really believe this and arent purposely reasoning yourself away from reasoning. Again thanks, and I wish you the best.

August 17, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Anon

All Christians are screwed up in the head.

August 18, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  11. Mick

"well if your an athiest you shouldn't have a problem with the supposed genocide that you bring up."

You're right. A person can't possibly have morals if he doesn't believe that there's an invisible magician in the sky. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and commit some genocide and do a little looting and pillaging.

August 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm |

I hear you.

According to that logic, 65 percent of the world who thinks Jesus is a joke are all immoral.

Truth is I suspect it is EXACTLY the opposite.

Do you realize most evangelical believe Jim Baker goes to heaven and Mahatma Ghandi goes to hell!

Talk about twisted morals!

August 17, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Anon

Dr. Harris talks about that.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUVXEmJRGns&w=640&h=390]

August 17, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  12. Habemus Papam

Golda Meir – “Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil”

August 17, 2011 at 11:54 am |
    • Pablo Bianchi

LOL!

August 17, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
  13. Habemus Papam

Millions of Christian youths from all over the world are praying for world peace and love in Madrid, Spain, yet the MSM ignores them.

Blessings to all,

Please follow the World Youth Days:

August 17, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • jimtanker

Just like all prayer, it doesn't seem to be working.

August 17, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • William Demuth

Well get a Job, Jesus has toasted the Spanish economy!

August 17, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • NOo..oON

Maybe you should pray for more MSM coverage. I'm sure it will work just as well as the prayers for world peace.

August 17, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  14. Larry

William. Simple answer: God is just. My last post today so here it goes. Imagine a kid is brought before a court and charged with a crime. He is found guilty and must face justice. But there is a twist; the judge is the boy's father! Like any father, he wants to save his son from facing any judgement, but he is also a fair judge and knows that the law must be upheld and justice served. So, he finds his son guilty, orders him to pay a $500 fine or spend a week in jail. The son does not have the money and thus must serve the time. Here is the twist- the judge (father) takes off his justice robe, steps down from his bench and walks over to the bailiff. He pulls out his check book, rights a check for $500 and gives it to the court clerk. He then proceeds to walk back up to the bench, puts his robe back on and states that the fine has been paid and the defendeant is free to go! Justice must be served in a fair and just society. The judge could have simply let his son go! But he didn't. he followed a just system and paid the price himself. You see, God is a just God, and we muct pay the price for our transgressions as well. It is not that He doesn't love us, He does! So, much so, that He "decended" from heaven, took off his "robe" and paid the ultimate price for OUR TRANSGRESSIONS. No, God is not eveil, He loves us so much that HE died for you, me and all mankind to pay for our sin (not His). God is not evil- man is...............................

August 17, 2011 at 11:34 am |
    • jimtanker

Your god is as unjust as is possible.

Infinite punishment for a finite crime is infinitely unjust. Being tortured in heII for eternity for the simple act of not believing in something for which there is no evidence is about as silly as anything can get.

August 17, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • William Demuth

Your God is a lie, and you are either mad or a liar.

You will soon be judged by men, and the laws of your imaginary Bronze Age hero be damned.

August 17, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • jimtanker

Jesus had a bad weekend for your soul.

August 17, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 17, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • GodPot

@Larry – Most of the other posters said pretty much all that needs to be said about your poor analogy, but I thought i'd add my two cents as well. Here are some improvements to your story that might make it a bit closer to your target:

1. The son's only crime was one that his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great...etc. Grandfather committed and thus the son was born a criminal apparently already deserving of punishment. Talk about justice.
      2. The penalty for the crime is not only execution, but continued torture after death for eternity. Again, wow, justice...
      3. The Judge/Father is the one who wrote the supposed law & penalties for breaking it.
      4. The judge then steps down & takes off his robe and pay's the penalty by getting the lethal injection himself, except that it turn's out he switched it with a sedative and was only knocked out for three days, pops up puts his robes back on and say's "Case closed! Justice has been served!"
      5. After the judge pay's the price he leaves a sign in sheet and soul saving application at the door for each of his son's who want's to get their pardon, but requires them to refer to him only "Jesus" and anyone who doesn't fill out the form correctly get's the lethal injection/eternal torture package. Don't forget to use a number 2 pencil!!

Well, for most Christian's thinking they are getting a special ride to heaven, they certainly expect to find "Just Us" when they get there.

August 17, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Godpot, maybe you dont understand his analogy because of some minor inaccuracies...... understand that God and his son Jesus are 2 different persons. Therefore God sent his only begotten son Jesus as a corresponding sacrafice to Adam. Also, the son (representing humans in his analogy) didnt commit a crime at all, but are merely suffering because of a sin their great, great, great etc. grandfather committed. And yes that is just as well as reasonable, it was merely inherited. Not by any choice of God but man. Again, God is just so to just remove it from man without making a fair means to do so would be unjust. Also, Jesus was not just sedated for 3 days. Jesus paid the ULTIMATE price. He was severly beaten, embarrased, spit upon and finally killed in a painful manner. Therefore making it reasonable to approach God through Jesus (yes, that name on the application only) since he is the sole reason we can approcah God with a good standing. And, oh yea, I almost forgot. Hell or Gehenna in the Bible only represents permenant destruction (thuis fire being a fitting symbolism) eternal da-mnation is a doctrinal myth. hopefully it makes a little bit more sense to you now.

August 17, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Larry

My personal opionion is you are blind to the truth. Once again, I notice so much anger and distain for people who have faith in something. I think that speaks enough for itself. Your replies about God being unjust dont surprise me at all these days. Today, we believe others should be responsible for our needs, not ourselves. thus we have huge government intervention in our lives to take care of our needs. Oh it sounds all wonderful and cozy, but look at the huge mess we are in. huge deficits as far as the eye can see. The youth today really are so spoiled. They want want want. For you all, the idea of a "god" who would require us to follow rules is incomprehensible. could there be consequnces for our misbehavior? Never!
      If there were a 'god" how would you define him and how would he/she act? Give us all everything we want and make everyone healthy, wealthy and wise? When parents do this very thing to thier children, we call them spoiled. They are brats! Have you ever met an only child? Most, not all, do not understand the idea of sacrifice and sharing well. Many americans today, want to live in a Utopian world. Let's vote for a President, who by the way is not qualified to be one, because he gives us hope! What does that translate to? Free stuff!!!! Government taking care of us! Less responsibility for the individual! That is what has caused the main problems in our society. If there is a "god" and he created us, why wouldn't he want us to follow "Him" and his rules? After all he created everything and , well knows best! His rules would be good for us. But if we dont follow them, why should we be punished? Why the lake of fire!!!! Oh the "lake of fire"!!! People, that is a metaphor for what it will be like. When Jesus made the metaphor about cutting off your one hand if it is casuing the problem, he didn't mean that literaly. that would be like me reading a book 1000 years from now and seeing the phrase "man, you're killing me". When in fact, it was meant to mean "you're just too much". when you look on the surface, you miss what's makes up the all important foundation beneath it. today, we look at the surface and forget about the foundations. Live today mentality. God does not desire punishment. God gave us free will and we blew it. If God create us to be robots and just love him conditionally, then we are like the arranged marraige that sometimes works, but often does not. It is forced. It is not based on love. You critics look at this far to simply as you do most issues in life. If you want a good analogy to over simplification, watch Milton Friedman debate anyone. His critics argue for basically more government intervention and time and again Friedman shows them the falacy in their argument. His objectors do as most of you do, see this surface arguments and not the whole picture.

August 17, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • GodPot

@Disciple – "understand that God and his son Jesus are 2 different persons"

You may want to let Larry in on the big secret then.

Larry – "So, much so, that He "decended" from heaven, took off his "robe" and paid the ultimate price for OUR TRANSGRESSIONS"

The majority on these boards are not Jehovah's Witnesses as you are, so they don't understand the viewpoint of there not being a HeII or that Jesus is not his father. I will agree that the witness POV makes far more sense in the context of what the bible actually says (i've read it cover to cover 3 times) but still does not answer many philosophical questions about origin when compared to science.

August 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Godpot, it doesnt answer every scientific question that men have, but it does answer enough to provide evidence. examples......

God gave the Israelites strict instruction on hygiene and health that wasnt proven to be the cause of diseases and death until much later. also, as you know, man over the years has changed his viewpoint regarding the shape of the earth. But Isaiah, some 2,000 years before everyone else knew, was inspired to to refer to the earth as a "circle". Also, at a time when the popular belief was that the earth was supported by a turtle, Job referred to the earth as hanging upon nothing. These arent mere coincedences. Even without taking one glance into the Bible, the specific detail of everything around us in regards to sustaining life is evidence enough.

August 17, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Larry

"Godpot" I am NOT a Jehovah's Witness. They do not believe in the truth of the bible as they twist far too many things. In my opinion they are a cult. God is part of the Trinity. Just as water can be in many form (ex. solid,gas,liquid) so does God exist as 3 persons yet is one. You are focusing on any and all parts of the bible you can find a contridiction. You simply are missing the picture. Answer me one question: Where did the universe come from?

August 17, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Magic

Mikey,

Having fun with your bowling 'circle', are you? The Hebrews had a word for 'ball' and 'sphere' - they did not use it in the description of the Earth.

Also, smearing the blood of a killed dove on a live dove most certainly cures leprosy, right?

August 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Larry, godpot was referring to me. And I'm very sorry you feel that Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. But that is very far from the truth. Jehovah's witnesses may be a cult by some definitions but definitions are only relative. After all, the first century Christians were part of "the way", which was a way of worship that was not popular and different from most. In fact they were persecuted for it. Were they in a cult. Jehovah's Witnesses do not twist any Bible truth. They read from a Bible that was translated to be as accurate as possible. Considering every word, phrase, and in the correct context. Also the words popular meaning in those days. I'm very sorry that you were misinformed but hopefully you change your viewpoint after hearing the truth from a reliable source.

August 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

magic, A circle is merely a one dimensional sphere. Isaiah was right in saying the earth is a circle. That is irrelevant. And i didnt say that hebrews referred to the earth as a circle. I said that Isaiah, inspired by God, did. Also, I didnt say the Israelites had a cure for leprosy, but God gave instructions to keep it from spreading. Very detailed instruction. Perhaps the dove thing you mention was a ritual, but I dont remember reading that. Although I've read the Bible, I havent memorized it. Could you tell me where I can find that account?

August 17, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Larry, yes God can take any form. He is capable of anything. But that doesn't change the fact that God has a first born son, Jesus, and an active force that he uses to accomplish things, His Holy Spirit. Jesus prayed fervently to his father in the garden of gethsemane shortly before his death, also shortly after he was comforted he stated "Let not my will, but yours take place". Upon returning to heaven Jesus told his disciples that he would send a "helper" to help them accomplish their ministry. This helper was God's Holy Spirit. Why would Jesus leave, then tell his disciples he would send himself (in another form) as a helper? There are also other examples.

August 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Magic

Mikey,

The dove's blood story is at Leviticus 14:49-53. There are quite a few other wacky spells and incantations regarding treating/curing leprosy preceding it also... not one mention of rifampicin, clofazimine and dapsone, which really *are* effective treatments.

Isaiah, (or whoever wrote those stories) spoke Hebrew. He did not use the word for sphere or ball or globe, which they did have words to describe.

Read some more about the book of Isaiah somewhere other than a biased religious web site... even Wikipedia.

August 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Magic, this in fact was a ritual, which only was done to pronounce a house free of sin, where a leprosy stricken person had been. If you read prior to this, the house had already declared clean, thus safe to enter, by other means. In fact, if the house was unclean it was pulled down. They didnt claim to have a cure for leprosy but meausres to keep it contained. The law also contained measure regrding treatment of dead bodies and disposal of wastes. Also the word that the hebrews commonly used for sphere is only COMMONLY used as with most hebrew words. They had a much smaller selection of words than we do. With that being said, the word chuwg was commonly used to represent a flat circle,(used in the scripture i mentioned) and then the word dwur (hopefully spelled right) that commonly represented a spherical shape. But honestly, both words were used to represent both meanings. for instance the word dwur was used in another chapter of Isaiah to describe soldiers camping around a city. They obviously couldnt station themselves in a sphere. So, i understand your skepticism. But how do you know that Isaiah didnt mean sphere? Even if he meant flat coin shape, what about Job's account? and what about the evidence that surrounds us as the proof of a creator?

August 17, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Magic

Mikey,

If you wish to enjoy those OT books as inspirational fantasies, and as a glimpse into the ways of primitive cultures, fine. Not one shred of verified evidence exists for its supernatural beings or events.

Here is a site that discusses some of your science-in-the-Bible claims:

August 17, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • GodPot

@Disciple Mikey – I know that JW's have a different view of the bible, and I agree in many ways on things like there is no HeII, and the God of the bible is not a trinity since it plainly states Jesus was the 1st born of all creation thus God's son and not just his earthly Avatar. Why so many supposed bible readers get this wrong I'll never know. But you still have to admit that the current fosil evidence does not support the timeline set up in Genesis of Adam to Noah, and has never found any evidence of humans living several hundred years, which one could assume exist if your "ancient world" that was destroyed by a flood existed, but they have found acient ruins of advanced civilizations dating back nearly 12,000 years (see Göbekli Tepe) which is at least 3,000 years older than would be possible with the standard understanding of the timeline set up in the bible. It's not just a lack of evidence for the bible, it's a growing pile of evidence against it. I do believe that many of the people and event's in the bible are historically accurate, but it is also influenced by the writers perspective, politics and motives.

August 17, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • Martin T

@Larry sorry I came into this discussion late, I was busy today. I have to say that I admire your dogma only to the point that you have not been decrying that all atheists are doomed, stupid, and worthless; other than that I am saddened by the dogma that leaves you no room to consider the obvious. One thing you seem to continuously bring back time and again, is someone ignoring the evidence of god within creation or something to that extent. I'll address that one point only by saying this. What do you know of evolution and such? Do you realize that there are more flaws in the "design" of mankind than there are miraculous designs? Take the eyes, why do men have such poor vision and eagles such good vision? Look at man's teeth, we lose them, they rot, and unlike say sharks, we can't regrow those we lose. Let's talk about the wonderful reproduction cycle in humans, do you realize that in order for us to have ability to walk upright, our bodies had to give up natural childbirth and our children have the most difficult birth canal in the animal kingdom? The list goes on, because the use of god's miracles of creation are so flawed, I wouldn't use that one if I were you.

August 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  15. J.W

If it is like Zelda I will play it. I used to love Legend of Zelda games.

August 17, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • William Demuth

I didn't know Zelda killed innocent Egyptian kids! She should be ashamed of herself.

August 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • J.W

Zelda is the princess that Link is trying to rescue

August 17, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • BRC

That's why he said she.

August 17, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • J.W

Zelda is not the villain of the game. The villain is called Gannon.

August 17, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • BRC

True, but I don't think William was taking about the bad guy in the game. I think his point was that the good guy... wasn't really such a good guy. (I agree the joke would have been better if he said Link, but we all make mistakes). The important thing is that hopefully reading this has helped someone learn that the little green dude is Link, not Zelda. It is dangerous to go alone...

August 17, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  16. T3chsupport

The next one in the series, you'll play as Moses' wife. It's a rail shooter where you try to hit him with f0resk!n.

August 17, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • William Demuth

The Red Faction rail gun was the COOLEST FPS weapon ever!

August 17, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  17. William Demuth

Zuckerberg pushes Moses, but will he push Jesus?

It's like Jewish people singing Christmas songs for money.

Some won't but many will!

August 17, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  18. JohnnyBravo

You all sound like preachers...BORING.

August 17, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  19. rr

Like Disney, Facebook is trying to market something to Christians by pretending that it is Christian. Just because this game has Biblical themes doesn't mean it is Biblical. Remember Miley Cyrus claims to be a Christian and yet her behavior is not Christian and the same with Selena Gomez. Who has forgotten Brittney Spears comments about saving herself for marriage and wearing a purity ring. A lot of groups out there are doing P.R. to get money and support out of different groups. People need to stop making a big deal out of nothing. I am a Christian and I won't be playing this game and I doubt others will.

August 17, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Disciple Mikey

I agree. This is merely a plot to take advantage of the popularity of Christianity in America. I can't see this as being appealing to true Christians, only ones of the popular american sort.

August 17, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Since when do christians act like real christians???? lol I don't see them trying to be christian, rather just offering something to part of their delusional base. Get over your christian bad self.

August 17, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • William Demuth

Since when is fleecing Christians something new?

In fact, it is why the religion was fabricated in the first place.

August 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

Yes Schizo, the majority of so called Christians here in America are what I referred to as popular Christians. But what I speak of is the few who stick to every word Jesus said as closely as they can, not the ones convenient to them. I'm sorry that you havent been able to meet one of these Christians yet.

August 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm |

Disciple Mikey

I believe I have, his name was Chuck Manson.

Used to preach the gospel to the Beach Boys, and hang around with this chick named Sharon.

I wonder what ever happened to him?

August 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William Demuth, Why must we resort to sarcasm to add weight to our arguments? Is it possible for us to have a serious discussion? And this person you speak of is NOT a true Christian, the Bible is clear about identifying true Christians By taking people who claim to be Christians and do bad things, and using them to define true Christianity, is very misleading to yourself and others.

August 17, 2011 at 12:26 pm |

Mickey

I suggest you look into Reductio ad absurdum.

When one speaks of absurdities, another merely magnifies them to point out their flaws.

August 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • William Demuth

Besides Mickey, Christians OFTEN embrace mass murderers as prophets of their faith. In fact Moses is a classic example of one.

How can you in good faith claim Manson is more immoral than Moses? They both are thought to have killed a person a piece, and they both had their followers kill innocent people in the name of Abrahams God.

But Manson played a whipping accoustic!

"Whats wrong with your game girl!"

August 17, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William, although I appreciate your humor lol, Moses and Manson are 2 completely different people. If you see things the correct way, God killed those people, not Moses or later, his army. They had a much smaller army in most of those battles and would never have won them if it werent for Him. But I digress, Yes killing was justified under the mosaic law, and so were a lot of other things that seemed extreme. But these people were in opposition to God and in most cases provoked God's people, but at the least cursed God and hs ways. It wasnt until Jesus came that a new law was established and the old one done away with. No, God nor his will doesnt change but the way he accomplishes it is adjusted due to the fact that he gave us free will. The situation was very different than when Jesus would appear later. Man had no example to follow closely. Only cut and dry laws that would set God's people apart from the other nations of the land. And remember that the Bible doesnt say that murder is an unforgivable sin. God's thinking trumps ours.

August 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Disciple Mikey

William, also Moses was not a Christian. Only a faithful man of old, or a lesser Jesus, if you will. We were determining the mark of true Christians.

August 17, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

Disciple Mikey

Isn't it ironic that your defense of Moses was the SAME defense Manson used!

I believe the State of California gave it due consideration and then sentenced him to death.

And I find your lesser Jesus comment quite telling

If God is Divine, how can any other God be either greater or lesser? Obviously they cant

I guess that is a death sentence for Moses as well!

August 17, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Answer

@Mikey

"God's thinking trumps ours."

and

"But these people were in opposition to God and in most cases provoked God's people, but at the least cursed God and hs ways."

It's very telling on your part Mikey.. God's people – your opinion. The others were righteously killed. They opposed your God.

When will you ever get the point? This is your claim that it is your god. You manifested your possession of this figure.
      Look at your words. You chose at this point to consume your love with your possessive created god.

September 7, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • Answer

@Mikey,

God's people. Define you view of who are HIS people!
      Cursed God and his ways? – Define absolutely God's way.

vs

"God's thinking trumps ours."

You can out think god and know god? Ha! You have been lying to yourself since the day your were converted and hence denied your own mind. Sheep.

September 7, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • Answer

@Mikey

If I defined for you that only people who go around nude on Mondays are the only people of God.. what could prove me wrong?
      If your retort is along the lines of "they must be of the Abrahamic lineage – then what if these people were? You wouldn't have a problem with your own chances of going to heaven would you?

September 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  20. EnergyBeing3

It'll be the NUMBER ONE game for Republicans and the TeaBaggers... the rest of us have Dante's Inferno.

August 17, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • William Demuth

Actually "Left For Dead" is basicly about Christianity.

It's where indoctrinated zombies destroy society in their unending hunger to eat innocent peoples brains.

The zombies are basicaly an allegory for Evangelical Christians.

I can spend HOURS shooting them and setting them on fire. It is excellent family fun!

August 17, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • Atheist

@ William
      Best... anology... ever...

also, that is a great game.

August 17, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • Faith

Zombies don't exist. Atheists talking about wild imaginations and horror fantasies as usual.

August 17, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Anon

Of course zombies don't exist, except zombie Jesus.

August 17, 2011 at 10:42 pm |