home
RSS
Moses' journey now a Facebook game
The Journey of Moses is the first biblically-based Facebook game.
August 16th, 2011

Moses' journey now a Facebook game

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN) - Moses is a cartoon with a big head, a small body and beady black button eyes with a spiky grey beard and spongy grey hair in a new game on Facebook.

The art style is meant to reflect "the casual social game" that it is, says Brent Dusing, CEO of Hexify, creator of the first biblically based Facebook game, The Journey of Moses. "It's a fun, immersive, adventure game, so it's meant to be fun but respectful to the content and appropriate for the gravity of the story."

Dusing says "300 million people play social games on Facebook." That's close to the population of the United States, so his target audience is "anyone from 13 to over 70 ... it's a timeless story that billions around the world know."

At the beginning of the game, pharoah's daughter, reminiscent of a Cleopatra bobble-head, picks up a bundled baby Moses and cradles him in her arms.

Moses is often portrayed as a great stutterer, timid of speaking in public, but in the game he is soon called a man schooled in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, molded into a Moses "powerful in speech and in action."

"Moses starts out as the grandson essentially of the king of the world," Dusing said.

From that starting point, any Facebook user who agrees to the terms of the application can invite friends to immerse themselves in a social game revolving around the life and journey of the religious figure.

It's free, but users can purchase elements along the way to better their experience in the game.

The Journey of Moses, like Facebook itself, is addictive, and advancement through the game, in which there is "no winning or losing," is contingent on social connections.

"It's an adventure quest game," or a "map exploration game," Dusing said. "A little bit like Zelda merged with the Moses story - that kind of gameplay where you're exploring different areas and find different items and meet different people to propel the story."

The small map expands exponentially as one gets further into the game. The player has to add friends to achieve certain things, thereby enabling Moses to pick up items otherwise locked to him in the game. The player must participate with friends as a collective to progress through certain parts of the story.

Brent Dusing is a Christian, but Hexify is not a Christian company, and this is not its first foray into the lucrative sea of Facebook-style social adventure games.

"It's been getting a very positive reception," he says, "with quite a few people playing it already."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Culture & Science • Technology

1. The new iPad

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this put up used to be great. I don't recognise who you might be however certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you are not already. Cheers!

May 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  2. Karla Rutledge

Journey of Moses wont load. there's just a blank page. I like playing the game although slow, it keeps my interest. Help???

May 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  3. Carlos

XAXAXAXA, Sasha, naivnii vi 4elovek, da prtsiot menya hozyaka kvartiri, no bez otopleniya tam ne projit' i 4 4asov, yshanka i vatnik ne spasaut na sebe ne oprobavono, no videl posledstviya :-DDDDDDDD

May 19, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  4. nuclear physics

Its like you learn my thoughts! You seem to understand so much about this, like you wrote the guide in it or something. I feel that you simply can do with a few p.c. to drive the message house a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.

April 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm |
  5. lenceria fina

You're actually a just right webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you have done a great activity on this matter!

April 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
  6. Free Video Converter

Hello there, You have done an incredible job. I will certainly digg it and for my part suggest to my friends. I'm confident they will be benefited from this website.

April 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  7. Tommy

There is a new facebook game out called Noah's Ark, which I personally think is probably the best I've seen so far...

November 22, 2011 at 2:16 am |
    • kartika

Josh jackson – Man, I love to see this Been a long time coinmmg for you Ney, and not like you haven't been, but now your officially FAMILY I know you done put up with my cousin for years (and vice versa in the name of fairness, lol) but best believe he'd gladly lay down his life for you . He love you that much . And that picture with him crying you a river as he eloquently articulates his vows, WILL be on my wall in a frame . BELIEVE IT . CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2012 at 2:39 am |
  8. King James Bible Society

King James Audio Visual Bible – and it is free at http://kingjamesbiblesociety.org

September 13, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  9. Jean

I played Journey of Moses, last night ,and a little this morning. But i can't get back on it now.Please help.

September 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • Aimar

Thats awesome, thats what I do all smemur is beach it I also heard East Hampton Beach is one of the 5 best beaches in the United States!! I didn't realize there was soo many cheap and free things to do..Great website!!

May 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Jamsid

gleysi suarez – wuuuuuuuuuau hermosisimas las fotikassss un trabajo con mucha dedicacion y amor alo que hacessssss y en tu trabajo se reflejaaa toda la imaginacion al captar los momentos unicos e inolvidables de una bodaaaaaaa o cualquier momoneto importante que los seres humanos vivimosssss.ciaooo

May 21, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  10. Pamella

This game is very cute! But it's not Facebook's first religious game or anything of the sort. I have been playing Holy Town for a while now and enjoying it. I also played Vatican wars! Two religious games that have been on Facebook way before this game!

August 21, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  11. bluffing

This is all very interesting isn't it? there's definately some people out there who are so determined to prove that God does not excist that in doing so they prove that he does!!! because .............why would anybody create such a fuss about a God that they believe does not excist?? just wondering is all............I for one would rather spend my life believing in, and serving God and reach the end of my life being right, than spend my life not believing in, and serving God and to reach the end of my life and finding out I was wrong.

August 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  12. Patoni

very nice game ............

August 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  13. John Richardson

Neotenous depictions of old men are creepy. No other way to put it.

August 19, 2011 at 4:33 am |
    • The Lambly Winged Lion of The Gods Does Roar Almightily

Kinda makes one want to be relieving themselves in a latrine full of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

August 19, 2011 at 4:57 am |
  14. Faith

Moses said, 'The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to Him. For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.” The LORD said to me: “What they say is good. I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in His mouth. He will tell them everything I command Him. I Myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to My words that the Prophet speaks in My name." (Deuteronomy chapter 18)

No one in all of human history all over the world but Jesus Christ fits this description. Jeshua of Nazareth is the Divine Messiah the Jews waited for.

August 19, 2011 at 2:28 am |
    • Faith

I mean, "Yeshua of Nazareth."

August 19, 2011 at 2:30 am |
  15. Faith

Something far better than Moses and what Moses looked forward to:
    "7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!
    12 Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. 13 We are not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face to prevent the Israelites from seeing the end of what was passing away. 14 But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 16 But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate[a] the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." (I Corinthians chapter 3)

August 19, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  16. Wondering

So I'm wondering if most of these responses believe that God is a myth and Biblical stories are just stories like Star Wars then why do you care if people believe in fairy tales? Where does all the anger come from that you would take the time to track down belief blog on CNN just to pop off some comments? Does it help? If you're right then what does it matter? People will just die as disillusioned, fairy tale believing fools. It seems to me that the problem is that you may be afraid that you're wrong and need to reassure yourselves that you're right by posting angry responses. Just wondering...

August 18, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • GodPot

"why do you care if people believe in fairy tales?" No one would care if that was all there was to it. But you might be a bit angry too if you found out your elected politicans were say, voting for bill's to fund a "death star" because of their belief in Star Wars, or passing legislation against the manufacture of robots because they fear someday the Emporer will turn them into a droid army.

If Christians kept their religion where it belongs, at home and in church, then you wouldn't even have to ask the question. But because Christians attempt to inject their faith into public life by attempting to take away womens rights, force religion into schools and make foriegn policy based on a biblical view of the middle east, many who do not believe in your fairy tale are worried, and rightfully so.

August 18, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Wondering

Ok. I think that is fair to a point. I don't think Christianity belongs in politics either. I think there was a reason that it was separated to begin with and when "Christian leaders" use faith to promote a political agenda then they are abandoning what Jesus stood for anyway. As far as taking women's rights away that's a blanket statement without very much to back it up. Humanity has historically taken away the rights of individuals for all kinds of reasons since the beginning of man. The point can also be argued of the rights of an unborn child but that is obviously a point of disagreement. When has religion been forced into schools? I was raised in the Bible belt and they were even trying hard to get any kind of religion out of the schools. Our foreign policy in the Middle East is as far away from Biblical principles or a biblical view as you can get. As far as the rest who doesn't force their own views into public life? You are doing it right now by writing your opinons and I'm doing it in response. I'm just saying people on here are getting so worked up and making accusations that you are following to the letter on the other side of the argument. Just think a little more. We are all people trying to figure out a purpose in and for life. We all have opinions about what is right and wrong. We all interject those opinons on others and want others to agree with our worldview. There can be a more even tempered dialogue between people without it degrading itself to what I have seen on these responses.

August 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Answer

@Wondering

Look into the intelligent design movement on the public education system. They manifested and re-used a known intelligent design book, which promoted the teaching of religion -implicity- to children. It was brought into the public eye, causing a major incident. This movement has it's founding in Texas I believe.

September 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Jack Napier

"why do you care if people believe in fairy tales? Where does all the anger come from that you would take the time to track down belief blog on CNN just to pop off some comments? Does it help? If you're right then what does it matter? People will just die as disillusioned, fairy tale believing fools."

Simple, because in the end nobody needs to die over religion, no one for any reason. For the people who comment I can't speak for them but for me personally, if only one person of the faith can read a comment that changes the mindset of that person, to just simply ask more questions about that religion, then success has been reached.

As a proud Atheist, I only wish to implore people to simply ask more questions. Even the questions they feel they should not question. If nobody did this we wouldn't be were we are today, and if religion didn't exist, no one could even fathom were we could have been.

January 16, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
  17. Faith

Moses made the Jews smart. He can cure Americans.

August 18, 2011 at 4:51 am |
  18. Reality

Gabe noted: "it's a timeless story that billions around the world know."

What he should have said: "its a timeless myth that billions have been brainwashed with as being true."+++++++++++

August 17, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • jimtanker

Star Wars is a timeless story that billions know too. Another work of fiction.

August 18, 2011 at 4:54 am |
    • Anon

Almost everyone knows that Star Wars is fiction. The Moses myths are taken as literal by many people and theocracy spawns from those myths.

August 18, 2011 at 10:47 am |
  19. Martin T

I am so disappointed that Facebook is allowing this. I wonder if I created an alternative to the Christian story of Moses that showed there is no evidence of Moses ever even being in Egypt, would they allow that game on facebook?

The entire christian religion is actually based on the Egyptian religion of Tut-Mosis, the sun god. Look it up.

August 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Faith

All pagan gods were knocked down by the God of Moses because He is incomparably superior. Today, 2/3 humans believe in the God whom Moses taught. The rest are pantheists, atheists and hedonists.

August 18, 2011 at 4:50 am |
    • Anon

The very same thing is going to happen to your own religion in a few thousand years o even less. Imagine a lone meteor striking the earth causing mass human extinction and taking along your religion too.

August 18, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Faith

Anon, we know meteor doesn't hit the Planet Earth. The Bible says a Rock will hit and topple the United States and all other nations. The planet will be alright. Read the Book of Daniel. The Christian Church cannot be destroyed as Israel cannot. Only ungodly villains who hate God's people will be put to shame. Anon, repent before it gets too late.

August 19, 2011 at 2:35 am |
    • Answer

@Faith

You are the same as Mikey. Please define your view of who is included in your God's people statement. Who is not included?

September 7, 2011 at 8:18 pm |